City S(e)oul

My Janus

 

It was hard. It was hard to become thin, to become pretty…..hard to change. But I did it. I had an aim and I reached it. But no…I am not proud of me.

People talk about me how wonderful my life is. People say how much they envy me. People look up to me.

That’s what they think about me. But I just laugh at them. If they knew…

 

I always dreamed about coming here. Seoul. The city with soul.

I dreamed about coming here, finding a cute boyfriend and be forever happy.

But that will never ever happen!

I don’t trust you guys. You are all the same.

You won’t ever fool me again!

 

I am here on a year abroad. I organized everything. My housing and my school.

My new “mom” is really nice. Her name is Jongshim. I am soooo happy that she let me stay with her. Jongshim is a high school teacher in her mid thirties. We live in her apartment in north Seoul , Nowon-Gu. Thankfully I got my own room but that doesn’t really matter because Jongshim is dating and she doesn’t get home at night very often.

School hasn’t started yet for me so I spend my days with exploring Seoul by myself.

By time I had a daily routine. I would find a new café in which I would eat breakfast then I would walk randomly around and when I get tired I would go back home and sleep.

Today I walked around Jung-gu. I sat down in a café in a shopping mall. I ordered a chai latte and some cookies and sat down next to the window.

I was focused on my book but I felt like looking up.

I looked up and saw a guy starring through the window. He looked at me.

We stared at each other. He winked at me.

Urgh….handsome…no wonder he acts like that. Stupid boy.

I made a disgusting look and continued reading my book.

The waitress with my order came. It was another handsome guy.

Geeze….are here only handsome people in Jung-Gu?!

“Oh…please don’t mind the guy outside. He is a friend of mine. “ the guy said.

“Do I look like I would care?” I said and began to drink my Chai Latte while looking at him with the what are you still doing here look.

“Uhh……” he stumbled. I looked back at my book.

“What's that book about?” he asked.

“You are still here?” I looked up again. ”It’s about a girl who sits in a café and randomly the waitress starts talking with her. She isn’t interested in socializing with people at the morning and she will pay and leave with her cookie which she ordered after she drank her Chai Latte.” I said and drank up the rest of the Chai.

“Well that’s a boring book. Maybe the cute girl should tell her name the waitress and then they will have a little chat. And after she ate her cookie in the café she can go but return later when the waitress’s shift is over. That would be at 5pm.”

I raised an eyebrow and placed some notes on the table.

“The rest is for the next girl that goes on a date with you.” I stood up and grabbed my stuff.

The guy blocked my way.

“What’s your name? My name is Hyunseong.” He looked at me with his dark eyes.

“Well….mine not.” I shoved him away and walked out of the café.

Maybe I’ll come again. This guy….I could have fun with him.

On my way to the subway station somebody dared not to walk out of my way and we bumped in each other.

“Yah! Watch where you are going!” I shouted not even looking at him and already again on my way.

A hand grabbed mine.

“Miss. You should watch where you are going.” said a voice.

I turned around and faced the guy.

Not again an handsome face….

“YOU!” he shouted.

“Yah! I don’t know you.” I freed my hand and pointed at him “ Make sure there won’t be a second time we meet”

“Too late. It’s already the second time” he replied while laughing.

I looked confused at him.

“You can’t remember a handsome face such as mine? I am deeply hurt….I was earlier infront of the café.” He said.

“Ahhhh….. Mr. Stalker” I said.

“No. Not Mr. Stalker. Just Kwangmin.” He smiled at me. “And what is this beautiful lady’s name if I may ask?”

“You may not.” I said coldly and my heels and continued my walk.

“Don’t be foolish. Many girls would love to speak with me and I even ask for your name. Normally they beg me for my name” He said while walking besides me.

“Well….I am not one of those many girls and I am definitely not normal. So there won’t be a normally if you talk about me. Now if you would excuse me. I still got some appointments.” I said and glided down the underground satires.

“You can’t walk away from me girl” he shouted after me.

I stopped, turned around and looked back up.

I smiled at him with mischievous grin and walked into the tunnel.

I heard him shouting “We’ll meet a third time”.

As if. You only meet people twice in life.