Four || The Forbidden Boy

The Forbidden Boy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

July, 2018. 

"He hasn't called you yet?" Kim Kibum, or more popularly known as Key, asked his colleague, who was pathetically moping while staring at her phone. Since this morning, Key took notice how Jieun kept spacing out, and was always checking on her phone. Feeling both worried and curious for the woman, he asked her out for lunch, and tried to dissect her problems. 

Jieun shook her head miserably. "Since last Monday," she said. After having dinner, before Kai head on for Thailand for one of his photo shoots, he hasn't contacted her, not even once. Models have busy schedules that Jieun can understand, but not her boyfriend, because no matter how busy he is, he still tries to find time to text her, or call her whenever he gets a break. "I tried calling his cell, even sending a message, and but I still haven't got any replies. He even seems withdrawn for the last few weeks," she explained. 

Key lazily twirled his pesto pasta, and plopped it inside his mouth with much gusto. The man was very much aware of Jieun's long-time relationship with one of Korea's most popular models. And hearing all of this from Jieun, he couldn't help but assume that maybe Kai was finally starting to act like a narcissistic playboy that he should be. “Maybe he has someone new,” he said so insensitively that Jieun almost dropped her phone.

“It ca-can’t be,” she stuttered in denial, as Jieun tried to push his words away. She shook her head, if there was one thing Kai wasn’t it was being unfaithful. Within the span of their four year relationship, never did she felt him being adulterous. Because of his work, Jieun knew how he often meets new people, or rather new women, but other than that, she never even caught him with someone. “It just can’t be Key. I know Kai, and that isn’t his game,” Jieun argued firmly.

Her boss made a face and glowered. “Now my darling Jieun you are in a phase of denial. Just look at the facts,” he paused while taking a drink from his juice. “First, he isn’t calling nor texting you, and lastly, he’s withdrawn, we both know that this screams the words, ‘I want to break up with you,’” he said.

“It just can’t be Key,” she said unconsciously as her eyes gawked at her phone, staring Kai’s name in her contacts.

“When will he come home anyways?” He asked nonchalantly as Key took another bite of his food.

“Tomorrow,” she mumbled back.

“Then you have less than 24 hours before you be back into the world of singlehood,” he retorted back at her, and for the first time, Jieun felt dreadful and uneasy about Kai coming home.

 

The next day came, and Jieun was stuck inside her office, shuffling photos and articles as the woman tried to decide what goes on to their next issue. After leaving her keys to Jiyeon, she was only jammed inside her office, as Jieun tried to finish her work. Key, her and the rest of the team already planned to pull an all-nighter when all of a sudden, at 7 in the evening, Key stood from his seat, and told them to end the day.

“Bwo?! But we have to finish this all by Sunday Kibum,” Jieun argued, calling her boss in his real name when the situation’s getting serious. They were already short on time, and here he was acting calm and collected when they were way behind their schedule.

“I know, but look at them, they’re all tired Jieun,” he frowned his eyebrows and pointed the 7 or so people in the office, having more and more resemblance to a zombie. He pulled her shoulders and made Jieun face her. “Besides, have you forgotten? Kai comes home today,” he said so sternly, that it gave Jieun a reminder of the unpleasant feeling she temporarily forgotten. “Hasn’t he contacted you yet?” He asked.

Frankly, Kai haven’t contacted her yet, after checking her phone 10 minutes ago, Jieun’s face fell when she stared at her screen which was empty. “Uh.. he did,” she lied. Jieun didn’t want to tell Key the truth, because one she did, it’ll be a big hit on her ego, and it’ll only arouse the possibility the Key gave her yesterday. The woman just wanted to distract herself from what’s going to happen, that Jieun was planning to be stuck in the office for at least until tomorrow, but seeing how much Key was ruining her plans, she could only succumb to his words.

“Then I advise you to go home, and have a nice dinner with him, ne?” He said, pulling one of his mischievous smiles he was known for.

With her co-workers bloodshot and Key’s words, Jieun agreed defeat. “Arasso,” she muttered faintly. Even too lazy to clean up her office, she grabbed her bag, and went downstairs to her car, as the thoughts of the dreadful unknown clouds her thoughts.

 

Opening the door to her apartment, Jieun was shock to see her home barely lit. Calling out for her best friend, no

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter