Of Watermelons and Poolside Conversations

Forgotten Memories

Ever since that evening, Jaejoong would regularly have flashbacks. He realized that they were all related to Yunho, or at least triggered by him. Suspicions began to arise. The faceless man he would always see...that was Yunho, wasn't it? Then, was Yunho his closest friend? Why would he forget his best friend? There had to be a reason. It had already been a month after he left the hospital and yet, he couldn't remember a thing about Yunho.

Jaejoong knew why he had trouble remembering Yoochun in the beginning. He was introduced to Yoochun by Junsu. They had began dating a few weeks afterward, and the group had warmed up to Yoochun rather quickly. Jaejoong had known Yoochun for the shortest amount of time. However, according to everyone, Jaejoong and Yunho had been friends for years.

"Hyung! We're leaving!" Junsu called from the doorway, next to Changmin who was busy munching on an apple.

Jaejoong nodded, "Have fun! Take care of each other alright?"

"Haha, of course!"

The door closed, followed by the sound of a lock clicking. Jaejoong peered outside, watching Junsu and Changmin head out to the car. They were going to watch a baseball game today. Yoochun had no particular interests in sports so Changmin had self-volunteered to take his ticket. Meanwhile, the three older males had decided on a relaxing pool day. Jaejoong began to step away from the window when the car drove off into the distance. A white sedan suddenly appeared in the parking lot. He blinked. It disappeared. Puzzled, Jaejoong rubbed his eyes. It wasn't there. Strange. Maybe it was another memory? He shrugged it off and went into the kitchen. 

"I'll cut us some fruits to snack on while we're in the pool." Jaejoong pulled out the cutting board. Yunho heaved a large watermelon onto the counter, "It's a shame the boys left so soon. Changmin was looking forward to having watermelons."

Jaejoong laughed, "Hey it's not like we will finish the whole thing. We can just have half of it." He gestured toward the fridge, "Plenty of other fruits in there anyway."

Yoochun popped in the kitchen, "Anyone know where the net is? There's a few fallen leaves in the pool."

"Should be in the storage shack outside."

"Right, I'll check there." Yoochun turned around, "It won't take long so you guys can change soon."

Yunho nodded, "Great. Jaejoong, I'll take care of the rest here. Go change into swim trunks and meet Yoochun out there."

"Be sure not to serve us your finger!" Jaejoong joked and headed off to change.

A few minutes later they were all in the backyard pool, kicking up water and cooling their bodies. Jaejoong wasn't sure whether he would be able to swim or not, but it turned out that his body had remembered and he was able to glide across the pool without sinking. On the other side, Yunho and Yoochun were sharing jokes and laughing. He swam up to them. "How do you think Changmin and Junsu are doing?"

Yoochun shrugged, "Probably melting in the heat. I mean--there's a reason why I didn't want to go on this particularly hot day." Gesturing to the bright sun, he dipped underwater, "This idea was way better."

Jaejoong grabbed a watermelon slice and perched on the poolside. "I'll give anyone a piece of watermelon if they do a trick for me!" He pushed the plate out of reach from Yunho, who had climbed halfway out of the pool. 

"The dolphin went off to watch a game, you're asking the wrong group of people."

"Oh, I guess no one wants watermelon then. What a shame." Jaejoong munched on a second slice.

Pouting, Yunho and Yoochun climbed out of the pool. Yoochun backrolled with a splash into the cool water and shot up, holding his arms up. "Tada!"

"I'm satisfied!" Jaejoong brought his hands together,  mimicking a child clapping. "Ahh." He motioned for Yoochun to open his mouth while he dropped a slice of watermelon in. "Ohh! This really does taste sweet. Wow. Changmin has a knack for picking the best fruits."

Nodding in agreement Jaejoong picked up a fourth piece, "Yunho! You'd better think of something to top off Yoochun or you're not getting anything!"

"Yah! I helped you cut a few of those!"

Yoochun took another piece offered by Jaejoong, "Hah. for you. I'm too awesome to beat."

"I can too!"

"Oh really? I'd like to see you try."

Yunho charged towards the pool. Unfortunately, there was a fairly large puddle made by Jaejoong when he climbed out earlier. Yunho slipped and landed facedown into the pool. Immediately, Yoochun and Jaejoong burst into laughter.

"Seriously, I can't believe that just happened." Jaejoong wiped tears from his eyes.

Yoochun held his stomach, still unable to stop chortling. At this point, Yunho resurfaced, a red mark beginning to spread over the front of his body. 

"That. Was....So. Painful." He winced, doubling over.

"But it was for our entertainment's sake! Yoochun's still more awesome, but you beat him for making me laugh." Jaejoong pointed to the laughing man, "And for causing him to laugh like this." He burst into another round of laughter, passing the plate of fruits to Yunho. 

They spent another hour in the pool, starting splash fights, chasing after each other and bringing up Yunho's bellyflop every other minute. By the time the plate was empty, the sun was at its highest peak, and they were lounging by the edge of the pool. Giving a look of mischief to the other two, Yoochun grinned and shouted in one breath, "Last-one-to-the-end-showers-last", before launching off the wall towards the end of the pool. Jaejoong followed suit with a splash, leaving Yunho to complain, "My entire body still hurts! That's not fair!"

A few minutes later, Jaejoong and Yunho found themselves alone. Giving Yunho a play smack on the arm Jaejoong grinned, "I though I'd be bad at swimming. I guess I was wrong!" 

Yunho rolled his eyes, "I'm just injured! Normally I win these."

They shared a comfortable silence, sitting side by side on the steps of the pool. Jaejoong closed his eyes and leaned back against the next step, water gently splashing his face.

Yunho broke the silence, "Jaejoong-ah.."

The latter opened his eyes and sat up.

"I..." Yunho couldn't bring himself to say anymore. He didn't know where to start, what to say, "Uh. That is--you..do you.."

Jaejoong looked expectantly at Yunho.

"Um. Are you feeling better?" He just couldn't say it.

"Do I like you?"

Yunho was shocked, "What?" He thought he heard wrong.

"Have I liked you? In the past I mean. Before the accident." Jaejoong asked with a calm face.

There is was again. Yunho would have never expected to hear anything like this from Jaejoong. Especially after he lost his memory. He thought he knew how to deal with this if it ever came up again. If he were given a second chance. He was so confident. There were so many times that he'd imagine a scenario like this, and he would know exactly how and what to answer. 

"I don't know..." Yunho was surprised to hear it come out of his own traitorous lips. He didn't want to say that. He didn't mean to. But what else could he have said? He could have said yes. He could have explained everything from the beginning there and then. He could done it. It would have been so easy.... It would have been so easy for Jaejoong to hate him again.

There was a long pause.

"Then, Yunho? I think--no." Jaejoong stopped and choose his next words carefully.

"Do you like me?"

 

------------------------------------------------

Hey there! Here's the next chapter as promised~ 

Unfortunately I'll be away for a few days. The next update might take a bit longer. I'll be working on it while I still have internet now.

Thanks for your comments, they're very encouraging. ^^ How is this length for a chapter, by the way? Too long? Too short?

Most of all, thanks for reading!