Epilogue

Forgotten Memories

Changmin stepped out into the busy backyard with an armful of aluminum trays. Gingerly, he made his way around the pool to the barbeque grill where Yunho was kindling the fire. Setting down the trays of raw steaks, hot dogs and ribs, he surveyed the yard. Yoochun was setting up speakers that would be playing music in a few hours, Junsu was perched atop a tall ladder and pinning decorations around the porch. No one seemed to have registered Jaejoong's absence. Good. He nodded to himself.

 

"Here's your order, sir. Please double check the order and see if everything is to your liking." The girl behind the counter placed a large box in front of Jaejoong. Lifting the lid, she waited for Jaejoong's nod of approval before closing the box and sealing it with a decorated sticker. Carefully, the box was placed into a paper bag. She offered the bag to Jaejoong and bowed, "Thank you for choosing Let's Get Cakin' to create your cake. Please come again!" Jaejoong took care in placing the cake in the passenger seat, securing it with the seatbelt to keep the box from sliding during the 20-minute drive home. 

It had been nearly an year since his accident, and he was already fully recovered. Fortunately, he hadn't developed PTSD after regaining his memories. On top of that, he was able to drive normally after the third month. Today was June 4th and they were holding a late housewarming party for Yunho and Jaejoong's new home and a surprise birthday party for Yoochun. Luckily, Changmin hadn't been called for another meeting in Japan and would be here for the weekend. He couldn't' imagine attending a party without Changmin; the food would definitely be a lot more dull and conversations wouldn't be as lively. 

Lately, all five of them had been busier and they didn't have time to meet up with each other as often. Changmin was always busy negotiating and collaborating with the game company in Japan and would spend weeks there every once in a while. Yoochun and Junsu lived together in a cozy house, not unlike Yunho and Jaejoong's own. Although Junsu was busy with his showcases and concerts as the popular singer XIAH, he and Yoochun were still stuck together like glue. In fact, Yoochun composed many of Junsu's music--whenever he wasn't busy modeling, that is. Yunho on the other hand, was almost as busy as Changmin. He was offered a dance instructor position for a large entertainment company and now he worked almost 24/7 training the companies' rookie groups and occasionally assisting with the more well known groups. Which was exactly why they had a wall of signed albums and EPs from various groups in the kpop industry. Not that Jaejoong minded. He himself was gifted signed albums from groups he worked with too. He was just a little concerned about how long it would take before that one wall expands to all four walls and eventually the whole room.

Jaejoong pulled up into the driveway and entered through the front door, birthday cake in tow. Keeping the box in the bag, he stowed the cake into the refrigerator and proceeded to act as if he were decorating the interior of the house instead of sneaking out to pick up Yoochun's birthday surprise. Glancing outside, he noticed Changmin staring at him questioningly. Jaejoong answered with a subtle nod toward the fridge and Changmin gave him a thumbs up. Deciding the house was already well decorated, Jaejoong stepped outside and snuck over to his lover.

Yunho felt a strong pair of arms wrap around his waist, following by a cheek pressing into his back. "Jae, do be careful! I'm working with the grill, not the sink!"

"It's fine, I can feel the heat too."

Yunho stuck his tongue out, although he knew it was unseen. "Then you should know it's really hot despite how it's getting close to evening and the fact that you're sticking to me is making it worse."

He felt Jaejoong squeeze him even tighter and he sighed in defeat. Turning around, he pressed a chaste kiss to Jaejoong's unsuspecting lips. "All finished inside?"

"Yeah, no one noticed a thing."

"Hey, I felt your presence leave! The house was considerably less brighter."

Jaejoong rolled his eyes, "Get some new lines, you corny person."

"What are you talking abou--oh hey did it hurt?"

Jaejoong examined himself, looking for the nonexistent wound Yunho was gesturing at. "What? Do I have a scratch or something?"

"Did it hurt when you fell from the sk--ouch!"

Jaejoong flicked Yunho's arm, "That's the oldest one. I can't believe you'd try that!"

"And I can't believe you didn't realize that he was going to use that one." Changmin interuppted with a grin that could compare with the Chesire Cat's. "Anyway Yunho, you would have burnt the previous hotdogs on the grill if there had been any here! Stop getting distracted by Jaejoong--on second thought, I'll watch the grill and you two go on and...continue with those corny pick-up lines. Seriously though, the guests will be arriving soon so you might not want to get too touchy."

Yunho grinned back, "Thanks Min!" He wiggled his eyebrows at Jaejoong, "Let's get touchy!"

They sauntered off, leaving Changmin to start grilling hotdogs. He shook his head and muttered, "Like rabbits."

Junsu attached the last streamer to the roof and doubled checked the banner they made earlier. Just then, he felt the ladder sway. Eyes widening, he held on tighter to the ladder but after giving it some thought, he held on to the edge of the roof instead. He decided hanging from the roof of the porch would be a better option than falling down with the ladder. The ladder moved again and, "Junsu-ah! Hurry up already! Seriously, how long does it take for you to put up streamers and lights there?" Junsu peeked down to see Yoochun supporting the ladder. He shuddered in regret. It was still a distance to the ground. Grasping the ladder, Junsu took a few steps down. Then the ladder began shaking. He screeched and scurried the rest of the steps down. Yoochun was doubling over in laughter.

"Yah! Do you want me to die? Don't shake the ladder while I'm on it!"

Hardly able to make coherent words, Yoochun finally choked out, "I thought you weren't afraid of heights."

"Anyone would, if the ladder started shaking!" Junsu smacked Yoochun's side, "Anyway since we're both done, let's go check out how Jaejoong decorated the interior. I wanna see if he used the decor I bought."

Needless to say, Changmin was thankful he was outdoors. Two couples in one house? Gross. And if they all still lived together...he would have gone crazy--not to mention the lack of sleep during evenings. Although, that wasn't the only reason why they moved out of the previous house.

Hardly an year ago, after Jaejoong had regained his memories, he had started going out with Yunho. And everyone thought it was about time. The tension between the two friends was very apparent to the others, except for themselves. Everything went fine at first. They all went back to their daily lives, everything was back to normal. Except that Junha went delirious when Yunho quietly changed his work schedule. Because he avoided her at all costs, her keen interest for him turned into an obsession--if it weren't one already. It probably was one, Changmin decided. After all, no one really knew how she came to learn of their home address. It wasn't shared information at Yunho's workplace, and Junha definitely did not come into contact with the rest of them. She probably got it from forms Yunho filled out at work. He shuddered. An obsessive stalker. Honestly, it wasn't all that bad at first. It started out with texts to Jaejoong. They weren't harmful at all; they only asked to meet up with him. After much argument and discussion with Yunho, Jaejoong met up with her.

"Oh, nothing much happened really."

"Still, tell us everything!"

Jaejoong walked into the same cafe, again. The only difference was that he knew Junha wasn't his best friend now. In fact, they were never friends. They probably never met, besides the roller coaster incident. There she was, long curls falling past her shoulder, light makeup highlighting her features, and the same brightly painted lips. Those red lips curled into a smile when her eyes fell on him, but Jaejoong could sense the falseness behind it now. He wondered why he hadn't noticed. It was her eyes. The smile never fully reached her eyes. There was a carefully hidden emotion in it. Jealousy? Loathing? 

"You dyed your hair." Jaejoong gave her a polite smile.

"Yes I did! Do you like it?" Junha turned her face to the side and flipped her hair, dramatically. She winked, "I thought Yunho might like this color."

Wincing slighty, he simply asked a question that had always lingered in his mind. "Why do you always pick this cafe?"

"Ah. It holds memories! I had a date with Yunho here a long time ago. I asked him out that day." He rejected me.

"I see." She really is lying.

"Oh yeah, I ordered--"

"I changed mine to mango, if you don't mind."

"Oh. Right." She fidgeted in her seat. "So um..I wanted to ask you about Yunho. Is he doing alright? I haven't seen him at work for a while now."

"Why don't you just call and ask him yourself?"

"I--we..." Sighing, she looked down at the table, putting up quite the convincing act--if Jaejoong had not regained his memories. "...we got into a fight."

Jaejoong played along, raising an eyebrow, "Is that so?"

"Yeah...we were on a date...yes, a date and well--it was a silly fight."

"When was that?"

He could see Junha fidgeting even more. She shifted in her seat, "Maybe some time last week?" That was the last time she had seen him at work. That was also the week Jaejoong recovered his memories. 

"Oh really now? Are you sure?"

Junha became more confident in her answer. She nodded solemnly, "Yeah. Ah! I remember now!" Her face lit up, "We were eating ice cream in a park. He had his favorite, vanilla. I think I had green tea. It was immature, but we were fighting about which flavor was better. I guess the heat was getting to the both of us because it got pretty bad and it ended by us storming off in opposite directions."

Tired of her lies, Jaejoong crossed his arms in front of him and leaned into his seat. "Junha, I think the only flaw you have is trying to show off what you know about others. Yeah, you may be flaunting and thinking 'I know something you didn't know', but you're just getting yourself caught that way."

A confused expression crossed her face. "You're such a great actress, I really would have believed you." 

"Jaejae-ah, wh-what are you talking about?"

"First of all, I've never been called 'Jaejae' by you until that day you first stopped by the house. We've never even talked before then. Second of all, Yunho's favorite ice cream is chocolate--yes, I know I'm the one flaunting now--and lastly please, stop lying. Your lies come to you so naturally, I worry for you. We're not friends, but I still worry."

Junha's eyes showed a hint of worry, "Jaejoong...are you saying.."

Sighing, Jaejoong cut her off. "I'm saying that I have remembered everything and have realized that everything you've ever told me is a lie. I came here today to tell you that. And please don't mess with me or my friends' lives."

Junha's worried-filled eyes turned dark and angry. Her lips downturned into a snarl, "I don't care about you or your friends. Just don't mess with my relationship Yunho and we'll be able to co-exist."

Jaejoong was unable to hide his smug expression, "About that. Don't YOU mess with our relationship. He's already rejected you a few times right? Get the hint." He threw her a wink, "My turn now." 

And with that, Jaejoong turned and left the cafe, paying for both of their drinks and leaving a fuming Junha behind.

"Woooow daebak!"

"Hyung, that was really smooth."

"Pffht. Why'd you pay for hers? Heck, I'd just leave without paying."

Changmin chuckled at the memory. Unfortunately, Junha couldn't leave things to rest. A few weeks later, she had appeared in front of their door, asking for Yunho. Again, they had talked and Yunho had rejected her. But that wasn't the end. Junha began sending Jaejoong texts filled with harsh words. Soon, they became threats and even death threats. Eventually, instead of coming to their house after work, she began to skip work. With her car parked outside of their house, she'd watch them for the whole day, leaving only to take care of necessities. Every once in a while, she would knock on the door and demand for either Jaejoong or plead for Yunho. They were all unnerved. Even the poor mailman had resorted to delivering only when she was asleep or away.

One day, Junsu had opened the door and barely taken a step outside when he was shoved harshly aside. Junha, with matted hair, unbathed body and all, had pushed past him and headed straight for their rooms. Although Junsu attempted to stop her, the seething Junha found Yunho's room first, delivering a sharp blow to Junsu's side at the same time. Junsu heard a sickening crack. In the room, she was absolutely delirious, snatching whatever clothing Yunho had left on the ground and holding them tightly to her chest. Then she made her way to his wardrobe and began fishing around his various clothing. And that's when she was wrestled to the ground by Yoochun, ignoring her screams for Yunho and profanities at Jaejoong, both who were fortunately away. An alarmed Junsu called the police.

Junha was charged with assault and break-in. Although she was sentenced to one year in prison, she was sent to a mental hospital instead. It was an unanimous decision to move out from the house. They waited for Junsu's cracked rib to heal before the move. Although they were hesitant, everyone felt it was better to find their own houses. After all, Changmin regularly complained that he never had a moment of peaceful sleep ever since Yunho and Jaejoong got together. That led to now. Shaking the unpleasant memories away. Changmin checked his watch and decided it was time to start the barbeque. Their guests would begin arriving under five minutes.

When the guests started arriving, Changmin had to call for Yunho and Jaejoong to greet them. Junsu and Yoochun follow in shortly, wide smiles pasted across their faces and a faint blush from Junsu. At the end of dinner, Jaejoong brought out the cake he bought earlier, and Yunho stood by the porch. Junsu hooked his arm with Yoochun's and led him to the cake with a grin. He nodded in Yunho's direction, and the latter unrolled the banner that Junsu had been hiding earlier which read: "Happy birthday Yoochun!". 

At the same time, Yunho, Jaejoong, Junsu, Changmin and all the guests began singing 'Happy Birthday' to Yoochun.

Yoochun laughed, "I thought you guys might have forgotten..today is full of surprises!"

Changmin interuppted, "Even Jaejoong regained his memories in time to celebrate your birthday last year--how could we forget?" Smiling, he turned to the rest of the guests, "Before we cut the cake though, Yoochun and Jaejoong have something to do first."

They looked at each other and smiled. Yoochun turned to Junsu, while Jaejoong beckoned Yunho over. Picking up two microphones, Jaejoong handed one to Yoochun. "Ah ah." He tested the mic, "Oh. Okay, it's on."

Jaejoong faced the guests which included all of their family and most of their friends. "First, I want to thank everyone for coming today! We were originally planning to make this a lunch party...but it's kind of hot these days." He chuckled nervously, "Anyway, Yoochun and I are going to perform a piece we composed a while ago...it's dedicated to our wonderful boyfriends, Junsu and Yunho." He paused to throw Changmin a wink, "And Minnie, we haven't forgotten you. See if you can tell how it's related to you."

Yoochun joined in with an anxious smile of his own, "I'm not as great as a singer as Junsu...but we hope you'll enjoy it. This song is called Colors~ Melody and Harmony."

As they began singing, their friends waved their hands along the rhythm of the song with enthusiasm. Yunho and Junsu gaped at their partners, who would have known they could sing this well? Changmin smiled in relief that everything was going along smoothly. But how was this song related to him? It was when he noticed that the guests were only humming along when he understood. They'd written the song in Japanese! His Japanese wasn't very fluent, but he knew enough to understand the meaning of the piece. He grinned and joined in with the crowd, glad he wasn't forgotten. 

Like a melody and harmony in love...

The song ended with Jaejoong gazing into Yunho's eyes and Yoochun smiling at Junsu. Simultaneously, they kneeled down on one knee and each produced a small box. Jaejoong held up a silver box to Yunho. Yoochun held up a black velvet box with an elegant bow to Junsu.

"Yunho-ah.."

"Junsu, love.."

"Will you marry me?"

 

 

----------------------------------

I feel like I have failed this epilogue ;__; Sorry for the confusing changes in time and points of view. It was also a bit rushed. :\

On the bright side, everyone is together :D Yay happy ending~

I hope you guys are satisfied with this epilogue! I've always at epilogues xD