You Could Have Changed Him

My Best Friend

 

~•♥•~

 

It was still early and MinYoung was already wide awake. She took a bath and got dressed to go to her store since she has to finish a couple of dresses for her clients. MinYoung quietly slipped in her mother’s bedroom to check up on her. She kissed the top of Mrs. Shin’s head and left a note beside her mother’s phone before leaving the bedroom.

 

MinYoung went outside and securely locked the house. When she turned around, someone came out from the Jung’s house.

 

“MinYoung-ah? Is that you?” a man peered at her.

“Mr. Jung?” MinYoung smiled as she recognized the man.

 

“My goodness! You’ve grown up beautifully. I haven’t seen you since you were in college!” Mr. Jung crossed his lawn and approached MinYoung.

“How are you doing, Mr. Jung?” MinYoung bowed.

“I’m good. Where are you heading to?” he asked.

“I’m off to my shop to open up early,” she answered.

 

“Well, it is rather early to open up a store. Why don’t you join me first for some breakfast?” Mr. Jung kindly offered.

“Well.. I..”

“Come on. I insist. Plus, I haven’t seen you in quite a long time,” he said.

“Alright,” MinYoung accepted Mr. Jung’s offer and they both got into his car.

 

-

-

-

 

Mr. Jung brought MinYoung to a place where he used to take her and Yunho for breakfast when they were little.

 

“I haven’t been to this place for ages,” MinYoung said as she looked around; not a single thing was changed around the café.

“I always had my breakfast here whenever Yunho’s mom is away,” Mr. Jung told her.

“She’s in Japan right now?” MinYoung asked and Mr. Jung nodded.

 

Then, a waitress in her mid-40’s approached their table.

 

“What are we going to have today, Mr. Jung?” she asked.

“I’ll have the usual,” he smiled at her. The waitress turned to look at MinYoung for her order.

“And for the beautiful young lady?” she kindly smiled at MinYoung.

“YeonShin, you don’t remember her do you?” Mr. Jung asked the waitress. The lady looked closely at MinYoung but she doesn’t seem to remember her although MinYoung remembers the lady.

“Aigoo~ I’m getting old. I don’t remember her,” YeonShin shook her head at Mr. Jung.

 

“That’s MinYoung-ah,” he told her. YeonShin’s eyes widened.

“OMO! Shin MinYoung!? The little girl you always bring here with little Yunho?” YeonShin asked and MinYoung and Mr. Jung nodded at the same time.

“Ahjumma!!” MinYoung squealed and hugged YeonShin.

“My goodness. I always knew you were beautiful but you look amazing! You don’t have your glasses anymore!!” YeonShin hugged MinYoung back.

 

“Why didn’t come back here anymore?” she asked MinYoung.

“Honestly, I don’t even know,” MinYoung shrugged her shoulders.

“Let’s not think about that anymore. I’m going to get your usual order when you were little,” YeonShin said. “Too bad little Yunho didn’t come along,” she said sadly.

“Yunho didn’t come home last night. Maybe he slept at his apartment,” Mr. Jung let out a small smile. YeonShin nodded in understanding and left them both to retrieve their orders.

 

“It feels good to be back,” MinYoung sighed.

 

“How come you and Yunho never came back here?” Mr. Jung wondered out loud. MinYoung laughed softly.

 

“A lot of things changed since we stepped into high school,” she told him as she bowed her head down.

“I was aware of that,” he told her. MinYoung looked up. “He was no longer the boy you used to be with,” he added and MinYoung agreed.

 

“You do know that you’re special to him,” he said. MinYoung gave him a confused look.

“I know all about his ex-girlfriends and he never felt anything for them. You, on the other hand, were someone special to him. Even when he stayed in the States, he never forgot about you,” he told her. MinYoung couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “He even got mad at me for leaving you,” he chuckled as he remembered the day they brought Yunho to the airport.

 

Flashback

 

“You take care, sweetie,” Mrs. Jung said as she hugged her son tight.

“I will, umma,” he whispered.

 

“JiHye-yah, you take care of umma and appa, alright? And study hard,” he told JiHye as he ruffled her hair.

“I will, oppa,” her lower lip trembled. Yunho couldn’t take seeing his little sister cry. He pulled her towards him and hugged her tight. JiHye encircled her arms around his waist.

“I’ll miss you, oppa,” she sobbed.

“I’ll miss you, too,” Yunho kissed the top of her head.

 

“You should get going before the plane leaves you,” Mr. Jung spoke. Yunho looked darkly at his father. He released from his sister hug and grabbed his luggage.

 

“Thanks for separating me from my friends and MinYoung,” he muttered under his breath before he left to departure. Yunho didn’t say goodbye to his father.

 

End of Flashback

 

“When he finished college and came back home,” Mr. Jung spoke low, his eyes full of sadness. “I thought that maybe I should’ve let him stay here instead,” he looked guiltily at MinYoung.

“I know you have good intentions for Yunho oppa,” MinYoung patted Mr. Jung’s hand.

“I do but I know that if he stayed here, you could’ve changed him and made him a better man,” he told her. MinYoung shook her head.

 

“That’s impossible, Mr. Jung; I can’t change him. I’m only his best friend. Only the person he really loves can change him,” she told him.

“But he loves you even if you’re his best friend,” he said. MinYoung’s body froze.

 

“You’re the only person he listens to,” he said. “If only you and Yunho have gotten together, he would change for you,” he said softly.

 

“I’m sure YoungHee will make him a better man,” MinYoung looked away.

 

“YoungHee’s different from you,” Mr. Jung told her.

 

~•♥•~