I Can't Let Go

My Best Friend

 

~•♥•~

 

It was already late when MinYoung got home. She immediately took a shower, changed into her pajamas and laid on her bed. MinYoung stared at her ceiling as she waited for her sleepiness to come. However, she has been staring in space for half an hour and her eyes were still wide open.

 

Suddenly, her phone rang on her nightstand. MinYoung absentmindedly answered her phone without looking at the caller’s name.

 

“Hello?” she answered blankly.

 

“MinYoung-ah~” the other person whispered. MinYoung sat up and switched on her lamp. She then checked who her caller was.

 

Yunho Oppa

 

“Yunho oppa? What made you call?” she asked, surprised.

“I just wanted to check up on you,” he whispered.

“Why are you whispering?” she whispered as well.

“Someone might hear me,” he said. MinYoung looked out of her balcony and saw no light coming from the Jung’s house.

 

“That’s impossible. Your parents and sister are asleep,” she told him. “Why are you checking up on me?” she asked.

 

“You seemed upset at AeRin’s party. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn’t my fault,” he told her, concerned.

“I was just having a bad day, don’t worry,” she lied.

“So do you think YoungHee’s perfect for me?” he suddenly asked. MinYoung’s chest tightened.

 

“Are you seriously asking me that question again?” she irritably asked.

“I just want to know you’re opinion, okay. We might argue most of the time but your opinion matters to me. You’re my best friend,” he said.

“Whatever, oppa. If you think that she’s perfect then I guess she already is. I have nothing more to say,” and MinYoung hung up.

 

Annoyed, MinYoung put her phone on silent and tossed it on the nightstand. Without a minute or two, her phone began to constantly vibrate. MinYoung lay on her bed and covered her ears with her pillow. Even by coving her ears, she could still feel her phone’s vibration. Leaving without a choice, she answered the phone.

 

“WHAT?!” she barked.

“You hung up on me,” Yunho said, sounding hurt.

 

“That’s because you’re getting on my nerves! I told you already: if you’re happy with YoungHee then I’m happy for you! If you think she’s the girl for you then she is. I have nothing else to argue about it because I’m just your best friend,” she told him before hanging up once again.

 

MinYoung turned off her phone and placed it inside her drawer. She lay back on her bed and tightly closed her eyes, hoping that she’ll fall asleep soon.

 

“Could please stop hanging up on me?!” Yunho scolded MinYoung as soon as he opened her balcony door. Surprised, MinYoung fell off of her bed.

 

“What the hell?!” she glared at Yunho. “I could sue you for trespassing, you know!” she said.

“I wouldn’t be trespassing if you could just talk to me properly!” he shouted back. MinYoung briskly walked up to him and covered his mouth with her hand.

 

“Shut up before umma hears you~” she muttered. MinYoung slowly removed her hand from his mouth.

 

“Can you please tell me what’s making you grumpy?” he asked, leaning in. MinYoung’s eyes widened as she realized how close Yunho’s face was on her. MinYoung pushed him away.

“Nothing~” she whispered.

“You can’t have a bad day and be grumpy for no reason,” he cornered her.

 

“Should I tell him now?!” MinYoung panicked.

 

“So?” he impatiently asked.

“Okay, fine. I’m worried,” she said, half lying.

“Worried? About what?” he slowly backed away. MinYoung sighed.

 

“I’m worried that with YoungHee being with you, you might forget your friends,” she said softly. “And your best friend,” she bowed her head.

 

“That’s impossible,” Yunho shook his head.

“It could be,” MinYoung contradicted. Yunho then pulled MinYoung towards him and hugged her.

 

“I would never do that. Especially to you,” he murmured. MinYoung secretly smiled then he pulled away and met eyes with her. “I won’t give up on the relationship that we have. It’s too special that I can’t let go of it. Nothing and NO ONE can separate me from my friends or you,” he finished.

“Promise?” she looked up. “Promise.”

Yunho held out his pinky and MinYoung laced hers on his pinky.

 

That night, Yunho slept once again at MinYoung’s room. Once they lay down, MinYoung immediately drifted off to sleep with her best friend securely holding her. Yunho tucked a strand of her behind her ear and watched her sleep.

 

“I can’t let go,” Yunho thought before closing his eyes.

 

~•♥•~