We don't need a teacher!

Dear Teacher

 

A duster went flying over to Sunggyu but the quick Sunggyu dodged it and it hit the wall behind him.

In the classroom, the students were all chattering, some even standing on the tables. The whole classroom was in chaos and nobody realized Sunggyu’s presence. Everyone was trapped in their own world playing with video games or throwing things around in the classroom.

Sunggyu managed to make his way to the teacher’s desk carefully without getting hit by any flying materials.

“Class!” Sunggyu tried but his voice was masked by the pandemonium the students were making.

“Hey!” Sunggyu ran the chalk on the chalkboard, making a sharp, piercing noise that echoed throughout the classroom.

The classroom was suddenly deathly silent. Everyone stopped in their commotion to stare at Sunggyu.

Sunggyu gulped when he saw the looks on his students’ faces. They were definitely not pleased and were angered. Some of that had tattoo and piercings all over their bodies. Their hair were dyed and ruffled and faces were bruised. All of them turned to glare at Sunggyu.

“err… Hi. I am your new teacher, my teacher is Kim….” Sunggyu started awkwardly.

“We don’t need a f**cking teacher!” A voice interrupted Sunggyu.

Sunggyu wondered who said that, but he didn’t had to look as the person stood up from the crowd and walked to Sunggyu.

Sunggyu scanned the person. He was a handsome young man with sharp and pretty features. However, his eyes were cold.

The guy went up scarily close to Sunggyu and stared at him menacingly.

Sunggyu, shocked by the sudden interruption felt himself getting intimidated by this teenager as he averted his eyes from the guy.

“I thought the school gave up on us. Why would they bother sending another teacher?” Another person said.

“Right. Why would they bother about rubbish like us? Do they have that much time and money to be bothered by us?” Somebody else said.

“Go away! We don’t need you!” Voices of agreement rang throughout the classroom as more people spoke up.

Soon the whole class was growling and throwing insults at Sunggyu. Sunggyu was speechless as he heard the responses from the students.

“Why would you guys say that? Of course, the school cares about you! We…” Sunggyu tried to control the increasing unhappiness but was once again interrupted by the teenager.

The guy slammed his fist at the chalk board behind Sunggyu, scaring Sunggyu and rendering him speechless.

The guy stared into Sunggyu’s eyes.

“Didn’t you hear us? We told you to get lost,” The guy said slowly, his tone scarily low.

“I won’t!” Sunggyu tried to regain some power as he glared back at the guy and replied with confidence. He wondered where he found such strength.

The whole classroom was quiet and everyone was waiting eagerly to see what will happen between the two. They were rather taken aback at Sunggyu’s reply, probably shocked that someone actually talked back to the teenager.

“You!” The guy grabbed Sunggyu’s collar, his hand curled into a fist and aimed straight to Sunggyu.

Sunggyu shut his eyes shut and braced himself for the impact.

However, there was none. Sunggyu opened his eyes again only to see the guy’s fist hanging precariously close to his face.

“Myungsoo, don’t,” Another person held onto Myungsoo’s hand, which was about to make contact with Sunggyu’s face.

“All teachers are rotten. Let me get even with this one, Sungyeol!” Myungsoo hissed at his friend.

“Don’t, Myungsoo. You know that will only cause him worry,” Sungyeol once again reminded his friend.

Behind them, someone laughed in the midst of the silence in the class.

“How dumb you look now Myungsoo,” The person laughed. “Taking revenge on the wrong teacher; do you really think it will help to bring him back?” The person continued speaking, humor evident in his tone.

“Shut it Hoya!” Myungsoo shouted back at the person and dropped his fist.

Myungsoo turn away from Sunggyu and stomped out of the classroom.

Sungyeol took one last look at Sunggyu before following Myungsoo out of the classroom.

It was Hoya’s turn to walk towards Sunggyu. He smiled, in a way that didn’t make Sunggyu comfortable.

“What’s your name, Old man?” Hoya asked.

Sunggyu was so shocked by Hoya’s question. He was only older than all the students by a few years. Yet to be called an old man, Sunggyu didn’t know whether to be pissed or sorry for himself.

“Kim Sung…Sunggyu…” Still, he managed to reply Hoya.

Hoya snickered a little. “Well, Kim Sunggyu, you don’t belong here. So please, do us all a favor and disappear,” Hoya said as he continued smiling.

“We don’t need teachers,” Hoya concluded as he left the classroom as well.

Soon, the other students followed Hoya and there was nobody left in the classroom.

Sunggyu was left all alone, traumatized by his fellow students.

He face-palmed himself and wondered how was he going to teach this bunch of rebellious kids.

“Sunggyu-ssi?” A comparatively soft voice was heard.

Sunggyu spun towards the door and saw Sena, who was peeping through the classroom door.

“Did anything happen? Where are the students?” Sena asked.

Sunggyu sighed a little. “Well, I guess something happened,” Sunggyu managed a weak smile as he scratched his head absentmindedly.

Sena smiled understandingly and looked a little sympathetic for the new teacher.

“It’ll be fine, don’t worry,” Sena comforted him.

~

“Sunggyu…. Kim Sunggyu!” Somebody called out to Sunggyu as he trudged tiredly down the streets of the small town.

Sunggyu turned to see a familiar face.

“Dongwoo-ssi,” Sunggyu bowed politely and greeted his colleague.

“Ehhh. We’re friends already, call me Dongwoo,” Dongwoo insisted.

“So how was today?” Dongwoo asked Sunggyu.

“So you heard,” Sunggyu sighed once again, sure that Dongwoo would have been informed.

“Well, at least they didn’t bash you up. It happened before,” Dongwoo patted his friend comfortingly.

Sunggyu didn’t even sound surprised. Well, he was almost bashed up if not for some help, which wasn’t really helpful.

“But why are those kids like that?” Sunggyu asked. He was indeed curious.

Dongwoo sighed before answering, “Ermm, well, firstly, did you notice that there was someone missing in that class?”

“Eh?!” Sunggyu was shocked. “Ermm… wait… my class should have 26 students right?” Sunggyu started counting from his memory.

“Wait! I only saw 25 students!” Sunggyu came to a realization.

“Yeah. So apparently, this last person, his name is Nam Woohyun. Something happened and well, he is not in school anymore. That’s the reason why all of them are more rebellious than usual,” Dongwoo started explaining.

Sunggyu nodded attentively. So this Nam Woohyun guy was the leader of this pack of wolves.

“So what happened to this Nam Woohyun guy?” Sunggyu asked.

“Hmmm. I’m not really sure about the details, but I’ve heard that he hurt a new teacher that just came in,” Dongwoo started whispering.

“You mean the teacher before me?” Sunggyu seemed shocked at what this Nam Woohyun did.

“Yeah. Because he’s rich, he got away with just compensating the teacher, but the school insisted suspension,” Dongwoo continued.

“What!?”Sunggyu exclaimed.

“Is that even legal!?” Sunggyu seemed totally disgusted. “Just because he is rich, does he think that he can avoid facing punishment for all his misdeeds?” Sunggyu suddenly got rifled up.

“Hey hey, Gyu geegee, calm down,” Dongwoo started fanning the angry hamster.

“What?! Gyu geegee?” Sunggyu seemed so taken aback by Dongwoo’s sudden nickname for him that he forgot about his pevious rage.

“Hahahahahha that will be your nickname from now,” Dongwoo started laughing uncontrollably at Sunggyu’s reaction.

“Huh, but…” Sunggyu was about to reason with Dongwoo when he heard someone calling him.

“Sunggyu-hyung!” Sunggyu watched the young kid run up to him.

“Sungjong! You’re here already!” Sunggyu went up to hug the young kid.

“Yeah! I got lost, but a nice guy helped me to find my way here,” Sungjong smiled at his hyung.

“Who’s this kid?” Dongwoo interrupted the two and asked curiously.

“He is….” Before Sunggyu could answer, Sungjong had already introduced himself.

“Hello, I am Sungjong. Thanks for taking caring of my dumb and clumsy brother,” Sungjong beamed at Dongwoo.

“What?! Dumb and clumsy?! Yah Lee Sungjong!” Sunggyu wanted to scold his brother but nobody was listening to him at all.

“Hahhahaha, how typical of Gyu geegee. I pity you Sungjong that you have to take care of him,” Dongwoo laughed once again.

“Yah, Dongwoo! You better stop with your Gyu gee gee!” Sunggyu’s nagging was once again ignored.

“Yes, Dongwoo-ssi! My brother is really like an old grandpa. And his nagging is really irritating!” Sungjong continued to agree with Dongwoo and soon, the two began talking like old buddies.

Sunggyu could only watch as the two conversed happily. He pouted unhappily.

Soon, Sunggyu couldn’t take it any longer. “Sungjong! Let’s go home! I’m hungry!  Bye, Dongwoo-ssi,” With that, Sunggyu took Sungjong and ran away from Dongwoo as quickly as possible, not allowing the two to continue any longer.

~

“Yah Lee Sungjong! You really became more audacious! How can you team up with an outsider against your brother?” Sunggyu continued nagging throughout their whole journey home.

“Hyung… Don’t be angry already. Anyway, how was today?” Sungjong asked his brother.

“Hmmm?” Sunggyu remembered about the incidents of today and he sighed.

“Don’t worry so much about it. I’m sure you will do well,” Sungjong comforted his brother.

He had already heard some details from Dongwoo from the interaction before and knew that the students were not very welcoming.

“You’re my brother! A really noisy and irritating one at it, but I know you can do it!” Sungjong gave the fighting sign to Sunggyu.

Sunggyu smiled weakly at Sungjong.

“Ehh Hyung! You’re hurt!” Sungjong suddenly realized the wound on Sunggyu’s arm.

Sunggyu turned to the Pororo bandage on his arm. A smile crept to his face.

“It’s fine Sungjong. Don’t worry about it,” Sunggyu smiled at his little brother.

‘Sure, this place isn’t all that bad’ He thought as he remembered his previous encounter with the handsome stranger. He wondered if he would ever meet that guy ever again.

His stomach growled suddenly.

Sungjong started laughing when Sunggyu’s face became as red as a tomato.

“Hyung! Let’s have dinner already!” Sungjong beamed at his brother.

~

“Hey, how you’re doing Hyunnie?” somebody spoke through the phone after moving away from the noisy music of the club. “Didn’t see you at the old place today. Are you still alive?”

The person on the other end of the phone chuckled.

“More alive than you, Hoya. It’s unlike you to call me ehh?” The person replied.

Hoya snickered. “Just came to tell you to watch your doggie,” Hoya continued.

“Stop calling Myungsoo that. And I have a real dog you know,” The person answered.

“Without his owner, the dog is running around wildly and baring his teeth at others,” Hoya smiled a little.

“The new teacher?” The person asked knowingly.

“Kim Sunggyu,” Hoya replied.

“Sungyeollie will stop him,” The person said simply.

“Who are you kidding man? The only person who can stop the mad dog is you,” Hoya’s tone became firmer and stronger.

The person didn’t answer.

“Nam Woohyun. When are you coming back?” Hoya became serious.

The person smiled to himself. “I’m on suspension, remember?” Woohyun replied, his tone sarcastic.

“You must be kidding me,” Hoya became angered and disconnected the phone call.

Woohyun smiled to himself at Hoya’s reaction.

‘Kim Sunggyu…’ He thought about the new teacher’s name before falling asleep on his king size bed.