Chapter 2: Returning to Seoul

Red Snow of Fate

Krystal was on her way, walking back and entering doors to go back to the cargo. She was about to go through the first door when the ship shook. It rocked about and an explosion was heard. She secured in a hiding place on deck.

 

"What is going on?" Then she caught a scent. It was a scent of a Deohyeo!

 

"Shoot! Now I really am in trouble. I have to go right away." She crept slowly as vampires fire rounds on the boat. She could hear their laughter and enjoyment at the destruction of the ship. However, luck was not on her side when she was spotted by one of them.

 

"Oh~ what do we have here?" She froze as she heard him sniff the air. She heard him gasp.

 

"You're a Pure! Hey, you! Get her." The vampire ordered. Krystal didn't bother to look back and she made a dash for it. They were running around the deck when the ship shook hard. The vampire that was chasing her slipped and fell on the ground.

 

"Keh! Just leave her, if you can't catch her. We're not here for hostages anyway. What was that?" The vampire asked his companions.

 

There was another hard shook. Krystal realized what was happening. She ran past the direction of the vampires. While running, she shouted at them.

 

"If you guys want to live, run for today." The vampires looked at her weirdly.

 

"What are you saying?" One of them asked. They noticed a bit the look of panic on the girl's face.

 

"She's awake!" She shouted last before the ship shook again.

 

Bam! Now, it was evident that the force came from down the cargo.

 

Bam! Bang! A coffin emerges and made a hole on the deck's metal floor. The vampires stepped back a little. A few of them sniffed at it from their post but didn't smell anything. Despite that, they were attentive to it still due to the fact that it just caused a bigger commotion than they did.

 

It slowly landed on the floor and settled upright. They held their guns tightly and aimed, ready to shoot if whoever that comes out is a threat. The lid opened slowly but it dropped on the floor right away. The impact of the lid created a disturbance on the dust on the deck.

 

The vampires stood still. They couldn't see inside the coffin because it was dark. Some of the vampires tried sniffing once again. This time they caught a scent of a Pure, an Old Blood. They waited for the Old Blood to step out of the coffin. Black boots with heels first came to sight, connected to black pants. Then more of the vampire was seen. She wore a button up, red shirt on top and it was covered by a long black leather coat that ended little after her knees. On her head, she even wore a black hat. She was completely out of the coffin. They saw a blue glint on her brown eyes. She spoke.

 

"Good evening, gentlemen. Nice evening, isn't it?" She said to them with a smirk that intimidates and challenges.

 

"Good evening, Unnie." Krystal greeted.

 

"Good evening, Soojung." Jessica said, smiling at her sister. Suddenly, there was a change in the glint in her eyes.

 

"Soojung, what are you doing out here?" Jessica asked. Krystal froze and a drop of sweat dropped down her brow.

 

"Oh... Umm... I was..." Jessica sighed.

 

"Didn't I tell you to stay down there until we get to Seoul?" Krystal nodded and looked down.

 

"It was boring down there..." Jessica sighed again.

 

"Fine. I'll let you off this time since I think I raised my fist on you quite hard a while ago. Does it still hurt?" She asked. Krystal shook her head.

 

"Don't worry, Unnie. I'm okay. It doesn't hurt at all." Krystal said, smiling brightly at her sister.

 

"That's good. Anyway, what's with all the commotion?" Jessica turned to the vampires, smiling her face showing no threat at all. Her eyes were closed at the smile she gave, making her look harmless.

 

"Who are you?" The vampire from earlier asked. Her eyes suddenly opened, showing the same intimidating and piercing brown eyes.

 

"I believe that if you wanted to know my name, you have to introduce yourself first. Isn't it customary to do so? Or did even that change during the time that I was gone?" It was clear that the vampire was taken back. Nevertheless, he stepped closer and introduced himself.

 

"I'm Kang Woo. As you can probably guess, I'm a Deohyeo."

 

"Jessica Jung. An Old Blood. So... Answer my question." The vampire, known as Sang Woo, gritted his teeth. He was the leader of this group but he was feeling fear against the vampire before him. He could see the blue glint still and it was then did he realize who Jessica Jung really is.

 

"You! No... Everyone, fall back! Retreat!" Sang Woo warned his group. They all looked at him for a while, probably thinking he was crazy.

 

"Don't you guys realize it? She's the-" He didn't finish. He froze and became dust. The others could see Jessica behind the ashes of their leader. In her hand was a long sword, it was stained with the blood of their leader. Her eyes showed annoyance as she looked at them.

 

"Anyone else want to answer my question?" However, it was unheeded as they were driven to panic. She sighed heavily. She stood still and looked at their escaping figures. Most were almost about to jump overboard. Suddenly, they were surrounded by a blue aura and they couldn't move. They couldn't see her for they were facing the other way but the glint in her eyes was now wider. Half her iris was now blue instead of brown.

 

With the widening of her eyes, they were all seemingly cut through and they turned into dust. Krystal could be seen sweating, pitying the vampires that suffered the wrath of her sister.

 

"Why didn't they just answer?" She heard Jessica sigh. She picked up another scent and turning, she found a human.

 

"Thank you for saving as against them. They were planning on using the ship to get into the SS Zone. Thank you very much." He said, bowing to Jessica.

 

Right after the man left, they both noticed a vampire walking toward them. She was dressed in business formal attire and on her blazer, there was a patch.

 

"Long time no see, Jessica. How have you been these years? How long has it been? A century?" The slim vampire asked with a bright, friendly smile. Krystal didn't recognize the vampire but from the looks of it, she knew her sister. She could see a stoic expression on her sister's face.

 

"I'm fine and its been exactly five decades." There was silence afterward.

 

"Still the same, aren't you? Who's this?" She asked.

 

"She's my younger sister, Krystal. Krystal, this is Choi Sooyoung." Jessica introduced the both of them to each other.

 

"Nice to meet you, Krystal. I used to work with your sister half a century ago."

 

"Oh, I see. Nice to meet you, too." They shook hands.

 

"You guys want to go to the suites. I have some food there. You guys should be hungry by now."

 

"Krystal, you could go with Sooyoung. This shikshin can watch over you for a while. I'll see you later. I'll stay out here until we dock. If you guys need me, I'm here." Krystal left with Sooyoung enthusiastically. Sooyoung frowned at the nickname but nevertheless left with the younger Jung.

 

Jessica settled on top of the boat. Her sword was secured on her waist, placed beside one of her silver guns. She looked beyond the sea as a smiling girl's face invades her mind.

 

"Miyoung..." Variety of emotions can be seen flashing from her eyes. Seoul had brought all the old memories back. She reached in her coat and took out a picture. Three smiling figures were in the picture. Her brown eyes turned into whole blue as her eyes gazed at the man in the photo. Her fangs clenched.

 

"Sang Doo... Why?" She kept the picture back in her coat. She looked out at the sea. The dock can be seen from afar. She stood up and leaned on a wall.

 

"I'm back." A smirk made its way on her face, her fangs showing, her eye colors slowly turning back to brown. Her eyes say only one thing. Revenge.

 

 

 

Later that evening.

 

"Did you eat well?" Jessica asked Krystal.

 

"Yes. It was good. Why didn't you come and eat with us?"

 

"You know I don't eat often. Trust me, I'm still fine."

 

"But Unnie, I don't think I've seen you eat for a long time. I don't even remember seeing you eat." Jessica sighed.

 

"You didn't read those books I gave you." It wasn't a question but a statement.

 

"When we meet a friend of mine, you're going to the library." Jessica ordered while Krystal just pouted. They waited for a bit.

 

"..."

 

"Don't even think about it, you shikshin." Jessica says out of the blue. A few feet away from her was Sooyoung, holding a cucumber about to scare Jessica.

 

"Oh, you're no fun..."

 

"Now, if you'll- Ah!" Jessica exclaimed as Sooyoung held a slice of cucumber in front of her face. Jessica glared at both Sooyoung and Krystal.

 

"Sorry, unnie." Krystal apologized.

 

"Sorry, I just couldn't resist." Sooyoung could barely say those words as she was still laughing. After a while, she stopped.

 

 

 

Silence.

 

Sooyoung coughed to get rid of the Sica Effect.

 

"Hey, Jessica, Krystal. I'll go now. I'll see you guys soon." Sooyoung bid them goodbye.

 

"Oh, next time, lay down on the food. I think you guys ate too much. You should both be thankful that you guys don't gain much weight." Jessica smirked as she saw Sooyoung and Krystal flinch. Sooyoung looked back.

 

"You knew?" Both exclaimed.

 

"I can smell the food you guys ate. It smells like every food they had in the suites. No use hiding it from me. And there's also a hint of cucumber nutrients running through your bloods."

 

"You're lying. There's no way you can smell that!" Sooyoung exclaimed.

 

"Want me to try and list all the food you ate? I'll say it out loud so everyone can hear. Then they will not let you devour their food supply." Jessica threatened. Sooyoung laughed nervously before vanishing. Krystal looked at Jessica. She could see a smile on Jessica's face. It was a smile of enjoyment. Krystal deduced that Jessica is in a good mood.

 

"That's two more hours in the library for you." Krystal didn't have a chance to reply when they heard someone.

 

"Two hours for whom?" A voice said. Krystal and Jessica looked behind them.

 

"Taeyeon unnie!"

 

"Welcome back to Seoul, Krystal. Jessica." She turned to Jessica. In her hand were an ID card, a badge, and a pass.

 

"Ready to work?" She only received a wave from Jessica.

 

 

 

Somewhere in Seoul

 

"Have they arrived?" A masked man asked on the phone.

 

"Yup. I met the both of them. Sunny's with me, too." Sooyoung answered.

 

"Okay. You should both look for Kwon. Get ready to lead another group."

 

"Yes, sir." The call ended. The man stood up and looked outside.

 

"Just a little more. Wait for a bit, Jessica." He whispered. He tore his eyes away from the view outside to his table. It was a copy of the same photo Jessica had.

 

"Just a little more."

 

In a car, Sunny looked at Sooyoung.

 

"What did he say?"

 

"He just said to look for Yuri and get ready. I think we'll be leading a group of Deohyeo again soon."

 

"Oh. Well, let's go. Seoul is pretty big if we're looking for Yuri. She's pretty hard to find. I haven't seen her since we left. "

 

 

 

The next morning, Shi Dae Organization.

 

Tiffany entered the doors. Before she got home, miraculously, Seohyun had already finished her ID card, pass card, and her own badge. In a couple of minutes, they had already recorded her file on organization's database and her tests were now accessible. She tried different test yesterday and she was excited to start work today.

 

She was pretty early. Only a few people were around so she decided to look around. She saw that their headquarters had a map on the bulletin board next to the employee photos. She memorized every part and turn of the organization. Her eyes returned to the photos.

 

The very first one was a blank frame. She read the label and it said, "Founder." There was no name. The next one was another blank frame, which was situated before Taeyeon's. It just said, "Ice Hunter." Like the first picture, no name was printed. The others were pretty much complete. Her picture was added near Yoona's. It looked like the photo arrangements are not in any chronological order.

 

She heard the door open. Yoona entered, yawning.

 

"Yoona. Good morning."

 

"Oh! Unnie, you're pretty early."

 

"So what do we do today?"

 

"Well, if we don't get assignments, we usually train. Sometimes, we just stay here or at home doing desk work or just enjoying the day. I plan to train today."

 

"I'll go with you."

 

"Sure. Maybe today, you can teach me how you got those scores from yesterday. How is it that you got an accuracy point score of 8.2? That's high."

 

"I trained for a year before. My father allowed me. It was just for fun. But it was a long time ago. I have gotten rusty."

 

"Wow..."

 

"Oh, can you tell me the names of the members of the group?"

 

"Of course. There's me, Seohyun, Taeyeon unnie, and Hyoyeon unnie. That's the only people in the group that I know off ever since I started here. They are all very nice. Hyoyeon unnie is a bit playful like me. And you've already met Seohyun and Taeyeon. They are so cool in action. Seohyun usually works the computers so you won't see her out there. Taeyeon unnie is pretty cool. She's an Old Blood, you see. She has been living for a long time. And she and Hyoyeon unnie usually go out with me on assignments. Taeyeon unnie leads us."

 

"Oh. The others are pretty early. When I arrived, there were already people here."

 

"Well, a majority of the employees here go home. But there are handfuls that stay in the building. Taeyeon unnie never leaves. I've seen Seohyun leave a couple of times but she stays on the building's apartment rooms."

 

"I see. Do you know anything about the organization's founder? I was looking at the pictures a while ago and there was no photo."

 

"Sorry but I'm just as clueless as you are, Unnie. I think the founder lived for a long time but I'm not sure if he's still alive. I don't think even Taeyeon unnie has met or seen him." They stopped in front of the training room and scanned in their passes. Unlike yesterday, this time, Tiffany helped set up Yoona's gears to train. They entered the same shooting range they used before. Yoona started shooting the targets while Tiffany watched.

 

"I'll try it again, okay?"Tiffany joined in.

 

 

 

In Taeyeon's car

 

Taeyeon, Jessica, and Krystal were on the road. Taeyeon drove while Jessica and Krystal lay back at the back seat. Jessica looked outside as they drive through different parts of Seoul. They were near the Seocho district.

 

"So, how was the trip?"Taeyeon asked. Krystal looked at her sister. When she didn't think she was going to reply, she answered right away. They noticed that Jessica was asleep.

 

"It was pretty fun. Although Unnie didn't allow me to go out often, we often visited different places and toured around America."

 

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's amazing that you can speak Korean even if you spent most of your life in America. Today's your second time in Seoul, right?" Krystal nodded.

 

"Unnie taught me. We speak English most of the time but she kept insisting that I study Korean. We also started speaking Korean so I can be better."

 

"It's helpful right now. We're speaking fluently, aren't we?"

 

"Yes. So where are we going?"

 

"Hm? Oh, we're going to the company your sister and I work for. There are suite rooms there so you can stay there while you're still in Seoul. The Jung floor hasnt been entered by anyone. After Jessica left, I kept it clean but no one has used that floor for a long while. How long was it? Oh, about fifty years."

 

Krystal thought about the long absence of her sister's presence in the said workplace. She decided to ask.

 

"Taeyeon unnie, why did Unnie left work?" She looked at Taeyeon through the rear view mirror. She could see Taeyeon looking back at her and there was a tighter grip on the steering wheel.

 

"She didn't tell you? Well, I can't tell you all of it because it is her story after all. But she was betrayed, to put it simply. Not by the company but a close friend of hers. That's also the reason she left Seoul. I'm sure that when she set foot back here in Seoul, all of the memories came flooding in. Just ask her. She'll tell you eventually." Taeyeon could only show an apologetic smile to Krystal. The younger Jung just looked at her sister and wonder. She could vaguely remember as a growing child about some stories Jessica told her. At those times, she didn't know and understand much but every time her sister would tell her the story, she was always crying. And Krystal knows it was only when she was with her.

 

"Ok. We're here. We'll just enter through the parking lot and you guys can rest for today."

 

"For me, definitely. But I'm not sure about Unnie. She sleeps a lot but it's like she won't be her usual lazy self now that we're here."

 

The car slowed down as it turned around the corners. Soon, Taeyeon parked the car and they stopped the engine

 

"Jessica. We're here." Taeyeon was shocked to see Jessica fully awake, about to go out. She looked at her incredulously. Jessica noticed this.

 

"What?"

 

"Nothing. I just didn't expect for you to be awake already. Usually, you would still be sleeping that I have to drag you out the car. Well, anyway. Let's get going. I'll bring you guys to the apartment first then we'll see how your skills have been after all these years." They exited the car and Taeyeon locked it. They made their way to the elevators to get on the top floors.

 

"Oh, is Seohyun still here? I need her to give me my first assignment by tomorrow."

 

"Hey, I'm the head of this organization so I decided when you start work." Taeyeon protested, establishing her authority.

 

"So when?" Jessica asked.

 

"... Tomorrow it is, then." This brought a smile to all three. The elevator continued to rise up as they pass floor by floor.

 

 

 

In the Training Center

 

Tiffany and Yoona were now testing their abilities and defense capabilities. They were in another room where they are the targets. They tried avoiding some balls and other things being thrown at them from different corners of the room. Of course, Yoona already had some training so she was doing pretty well. Tiffany, on the other hand, didn't do so well. It seems as though she has never been trained in defense. She would get hit when two are launched at her direction from two different angles and balls with very fast speed would pelt her right away. She did manage to avoid half of them so it was pretty average.

 

They finished after a while. They sat back on the benches as they rested after a day's training.

 

"Well, now we know what you need practice on, unnie. When we get assigned missions, we have to be good at eluding attacks since we might get hurt a lot. But, you know unnie, I'm still shocked that you have such good skills." Tiffany smiled but shook her head.

 

"I'm pretty average according to the record so I don't think you should be impressed." Yoona shook her head.

 

"No. You're pretty good, unnie. You didn't train for a lot of years here in the building so it's pretty impressive." Yoona smiled as she tried to instill the compliment to Tiffany.

 

"Thank you, Yoona." They rested for a bit more before they left the room. They stopped by the computers to monitor their progress.

 

"See, unnie. You're doing pretty well." Yoona and Tiffany were comparing the results on the tests they just took. They didn't notice someone walking toward them. This someone seems to have noticed them. She had long, blonde hair and they stood straight and proud. She stood behind the two and looked at the results.

 

"Oh, Yoona, this newbie here got a higher accuracy score than you did." She spoke from behind them. Yoona just turned calmly when she heard the voice and on her face was a proud smile. Tiffany was surprised though.

 

"Isn't she great, Hyoyeon unnie?"

 

"I'd say. I guess that's the reason Taeyeon accepted her, huh?" Yoona nodded in agreement. Hyoyeon faced Tiffany and held out her hand.

 

"I'm Kim Hyoyeon. Both a New blood and Half blood. Nice to meet you."

 

"My name is Hwang Tiffany. I guess I'm human. Nice to meet you too." Both smiled as they introduced themselves politely.

 

"Your scores are impressive. I didn't think someone who didn't train here would get that kind of score. Pretty good for a newbie."

 

"Thank you."

 

"I'm guessing from your conversations from before that you think you can do better right?"

 

"Well, not really..." Tiffany saw Hyoyeon sigh.

 

"Well, let me see... Oh ~" Hyoyeon was clearly amused. Yoona and Tiffany wondered.

 

"What's wrong?"

 

"Yoona, you need to study the computer's control again."

 

"Oh, did I make a mistake?"

 

"Yes. In fact, its connected to the results Tiffany received. This computer places the person in question in a level based on their data. And according to this data the computer placed in by you, Tiffany is not in the human section. She's in the vampire section." Realization and shock could be seen in Yoona's face.

 

"What does that mean?" Tiffany asked. Hyoyeon smiled at her.

 

"It means it says you're average because it's set in another category. I won't change your profile because your skills are well-off for a human. It's above average. And it is pretty interesting that you rank as an average in the vampire section."

 

Hyoyeon moved away from the computer to show Tiffany and Yoona the data. She was about to walk away when she caught a familiar scent. She inhaled more of the air and her eyes immediately showed enthusiasm. Her phone vibrated and a text message could be seen.

 

"She's in the building, huh? Well, time to give my greetings." She whispered.

 

"Did you say something, Hyoyeon unnie?" Yoona asked.

 

"No. I'll be going. Take care you two." Hyoyeon walked away and out of the center.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Annyeong~ everyone. Here is chapter 2. Thanks for leaving comments and subscribing. I appreciate it greatly. I read them repeatedly and they never fail to cheer me up. ^^

 

Science Fair is coming up and I'm working with microbes. Cool right? I think I'll still be able to update but if I didn't, I hope you understand. At least that's until my projects stop coming. Kekeke.

 

Oh! I have a question. Do you want Seohyun to be paired with? If so, then with who?

 

Can you guys give me ideas? I'm not promising that I'll use them right away but it'd be nice to hear from you guys. I have most of the events listed in my notebook but there's no harm in adding more. Every opinion and idea counts!

 

What did you guys think of this chapter? Anyway, thanks again. See you guys in the next update. ^-^v