Chapter 1: The Ice Hunter, Shi Dae Organization, and Old Blood

Red Snow of Fate

The sun had already set. The night shrouded the whole city and everything is supposed to be peaceful. In this city, however, it’s not the case.

 

Seoul City, Seocho District

 

Guns fired at almost every direction and explosions deafened much laughter as inhuman individuals crushed everything in their path. The night was well-lit despite the time. Their eyes were black and it looks like they have mentally gone out of control but they could still think clearly. One could see the tainted vampires jumping from place to place, creating craters on the ground, leaving marks of their presence. It didn't look like they had any particular leader but they all had one goal. It was to get in the SS zone or the Seocho Special Zone.

This large part of the city was protected and was encased by a powerful source that kept these vampires away. They could be seen hitting the barrier to break it but were proven unsuccessful as they just bounce off. Inside the barrier were three individuals out in the open.

The three were clearly powerful vampires. Two of them were dressed nicely while one in a corner had their clothes covered by an old brown cloth. One of the two wore shades. Her hair was brown and it was tied back. She wore a black blazer over a white shirt and paired it with black, neatly-pressed pants. She appeared to be the leader and seemed to be a person of high authority. The other vampire was almost dressed the same way, only their blazer and pants were gray. Inside this vampire's white shirt though, there was a noticeable yellow shirt. This matched their blonde hair that was also tied back. The one near the corner had a more haggard appearance. Unlike the other two, her blonde hair was down, secured by nothing. She had an old and long brown cloth that covered most of her body. And since she was sitting down, there was no telling how tall she was or how long the cloth was.

They just stood there while the other one was sitting, leaning on a wall. She spoke.

 

"How many are they?" An individual, whose clothes were covered by pieces of old cloths, asked.

"A lot." A vampire, who carries the current head title of the organization, said.

"Kindly open the gates for me." The individual said as she stood, smirking. Standing up revealed her height, as she was a bit taller than the leader, and black pressed pants were noted.

"Stay here and guard the leader. Hey! I said I will go!" A fiery-natured vampire was ignored as the one in cloths walked near.

"It may not look like it but I'm stronger than you are..." She said, her voice dripping with confidence.

"You! Don't think that just because you're an old blood, you can handle all of them! We don't need someone like you who can't protect your own kind." The fiery vampire shouted at her. A face of a girl flashes in the individual's mind and she clenches her fangs.

"Enough! Jessica, fighting would not help erase the pain..." The head told her, in means to change her mind.

"Please, Taeyeon." The individual, called Jessica whispered but her voice begged.

"Ya! Who do you think you're talking to?" The other vampire argued.

"It's alright, Hyoyeon. Get ready." Taeyeon told the fiery vampire. She turned and complied with Jessica's request. She stepped forward and removed her shades. Once she opened her eyes, they changed into a beautiful amber color. From afar, one could see a difference in the barrier. It slowly opened from the top. It unleashed a wave of scents, all smelled like blood.

"Thanks." Jessica readied herself and once the barrier opened completely, she vanished from her post.

"Hyoyeon, you of all should understand what Jessica feels... What it feels to lose someone... To have the power to protect them but was unable to..." Taeyeon said as she looked ahead.

"Don't liken me to the both of you." Hyoyeon said as she turned and walked in a building. Taeyeon sighed at her answer. She looked at the direction Jessica sped to. She's there.

Afar, one could see the bright moon. Tainted ones of many could be seen as their silhouettes are noted by the shadows they created on the moon. Many let out cries of triumph. They realized that the barrier was now opened and they hurried in. However, they didn't realize a strong force coming their way. With only a glance and a metal glint, one of them start to vanish. Of course, being creatures as well gave them a bit of power. One of them saw their assailant.

"Ice Hunter!" One of the tainted ones said before disintegrating to dust. It was then did the other stop at their tracks as they realize that twenty of them had already died. In front of them was Jessica.

Jessica took another step, leaving a mark on the concrete road, and more died at the sword she had in her hand. She raised her sword that was tainted with blood. Swinging really hard, a strong wind surrounded her.

The vampires attack once again. Jessica let out a shout of power, revealing fangs, as she sliced at them. The other vampires, who didn't attack her, started using their artillery and shot dozen of rounds. Blue aura surrounded her and the bullets could be seen. They were floating, suspended as if stopped by the blue force. With no movement, they all went back at the vampires and a whole group was wiped out.

Realizing that they were no match despite their numbers, they began to retreat.

Jessica notices a masked individual. She recognizes the scent and keeps her sword. Reaching at her belt, she took out silver, 9mm Colt 45 in each hand. She points them at the vampire.

"You traitor!"

"Now don't be like that, Jessica." The man behind the mask said.

"You betrayed the both of us! How could you?" Jessica shot two rounds at the man. Her gun glowed blue as she finished. It could be heard reloading bullets. The man, on the other hand, avoided the bullets easily and looked more delighted at Jessica's attacks.

"That's good. This is fun, Jessica. But I'm afraid I have to go now. I'll introduce you to the Deohyeo children next time."

"Deohyeo children?"

"I created them. They are what you call the tainted vampires. Of course, unlike the both of us, who are complete ones, they need to drink blood every day. See you around." The man said as he vanished.

"Wait! Sang Doo!" Jessica shouts but the man known as Sang Doo was no longer there.

 

Present Day, Seoul City, Seocho District

A girl with red hair was asleep in her room. From the looks of what time it was, she was probably human. The telephone rings. One ring, two ring. A hand reaches to it and brings it to the girl's ears.

"Hello? Hwang residence. Oh, Yoona..."

"Tiffany unnie? Where are you?" A girl's voice, Yoona's, was heard through the phone.

"I'm at home, sleeping. What's the matter?"

"Ms. Kim wanted you to come in today. Looks like she finally accepted your application." There was silence.

"Um... Unnie? Are you still there?"

"Yes!" A shout was heard that the girl from the other side practically dropped the phone.

"I'll be there."

"Okay, I'll tell her you're on your way." The call ended and thus began Tiffany's day.

Tiffany was excited. She was now going to be a vampire hunter. Technically, it was now considered as a city police but this organization was not easy to get in to. Unlike other police departments, this organization was the most special one considered by the whole world. And lucky for her, headquarters is in Seoul City. She quickly got dressed, wearing a blazer and comfortable pants. She left her house after checking her stuff. After a few minutes, she reached the front gate of the organization.

It slowly opened as a doe-eyed girl was seen coming.

"Hi, Unnie! Welcome to the Shi Dae Organization. Come on. I'll give you a tour." Yoona greeted and offered. Tiffany quickly made her way to the girl's side and the gates closed.

They went in the building and Tiffany couldn't help but marvel at the interior of the place. It was a very big establishment. It rises up to twenty-seven floors and it was situated in the center of the city.

She saw different pictures of the employees on the walls, their titles and positions written on plaques under their picture. There were some pictures of vampire employees as their fangs show when they smiled brightly. It was either they really were happy to get a job here or they were proud to be vampires. Tiffany didn't know. However, everyone in the building seems to be very friendly. They all greet each other and when Yoona and Tiffany passed by them, they stopped what they were doing to either smile or wave at them.

Yoona was now leading Tiffany to Ms. Kim's office. They rode the elevator. Tiffany noticed that there were also floors under but a key was needed for the floor buttons to be pressed.

"You're pretty lucky, Unnie. They don't usually accept employees at this time, especially humans." Yoona said. Tiffany smiled at that as she was happy. They talked along the way.

Yoona was a vampire and the second to the youngest employee of the Shi Dae Organization. Tiffany met her along the city and they became really good friends and it was at one instance did Yoona mention that Tiffany should work in the organization as well.

Ever since she was young, Tiffany wanted to be part of the organization to help settle the war between the humans and the vampires. Her mother died when she was young and her father was part of the organization as well. Her father didn't want her to be part of the organization but at least gave her a chance. He told her that if she gets in or not, he will support her never mind the outcome.

They stopped in front of a big room and Yoona knocked first. A click was heard. Yoona looked at Tiffany and they both entered.

The room was very big as it had a wide space ranging from the door to the window. It was a big rectangle room and at the very middle was a table covered with holographic screens of the computers on the table. The work was not legible from anyone's point of view so it was only for the eyes of the one working. Typing sounds halted as the screens vanished and the computers gave way to reveal two individuals. One was closer to them and the other was a bit farther from them. The one closer to them was looking at papers while the other seemed to be a bit busier with pens and stacks of papers in front of her.

"Ms. Hwang. Please come forward." The one closer to them said. The girl stood up and held out her hand.

"Welcome to the Shi Dae organization. I am Seo Juhyun, Secretary of the Organization. You may call me Seohyun. Nice to meet you." Tiffany and Seohyun shook hands. The one a bit far from them finally faced them.

"I'm Kim Taeyeon. Head of the organization. Just call me Taeyeon." She also offered her hand and Tiffany shook it.

"Nice to meet you."

"Likewise. I've read your file and it would be nice to have you on the team. Do you want to stay here in the company or will you be fine with some work out on the field?"

"I can do both but I prefer to work on the field."

"Ok then. There will be days when you work on the field so be prepared."

"I'll start work right away."

"Well, you didn't have to start work today but maybe you could go to the training room and test out your skills. I would come but I have a bit more work today. I'll let Yoona go with you today. I hope you meet our team. Everyone's friendly here. Trust me I know because I hired them." Taeyeon nodded at Yoona. Seohyun gave them a card key.

"This is a pass to the rooms. I'll work on making your own items for the company, unnie. Again, welcome to the organization." Seohyun smiled before going to another room. Taeyeon settled back in her seat.

"Let's go, Unnie. I'll tell you all about it. Usually, Taeyeon unnie does it but I can fill you in on the details of the organization since she's busy. I'm part of the team by the way. It's a bit hard for me since I was just starting but its pretty fun to be with the group. I'll introduce them to you when we meet them." They left the room.

"Okay. First, I have to know what you already know." Yoona said as they walked around.

"Well. I know the three categories of vampires. The Pure, Half, and Tainted ones. The Tainted ones are called Deohyeo children. My father told me about them." Tiffany could see sparkles in Yoona's eyes.

"That's my favorite part. Can I tell it? I'm a Half, you see. Half means that my transformation wasn't complete. Most vampires in the organization are like me. There are also humans here. Just like you and Seohyun. Taeyeon unnie is a Pure." Yoona paused. Then she continued.

“Now, Pures are divided into two categories. The Old blood and the New blood. The Old bloods are those vampires that started the whole generation of vampires. Only a few exist now. The New bloods are the Half ancestors of Old Bloods. Most of the Pure vampire population are now made up of New bloods.” She finished.

"Yoona, there is something I'm wondering about. I know the difference between the Deohyeo and the other two but what's the difference between Pures and Halves."

"Well, other than the ranks and power we have, our diet is also different. Deohyeos have to drink blood often. Halves don't have to but if we don't drink in a long while, we get sick. You know, like get the flu. Pures don't have to worry about getting sick. And unlike Pures, we can enjoy human foods. Taeyeon unnie eats some once in a while but it’s a rare sight. They are your usual vampires. They can survive a long while without drinking because they can only drink from their partners."

"Oh, I see."

"We're here." The door opened and they stopped when they saw glass doors. On the other side, you could see members training. One could see amateurs and some good hunters as well. They went in after sliding the card in.

"This is an accuracy test. Every test you take is recorded on the database and it monitors the progress. You don't have a card yet but we can transfer the data once you get your card. I think it'll be ready by tomorrow." Yoona said, pointing at a room for shooting range. Tiffany notices another room as she got ready to go in. It was a dark room and it seemed like it hasn't been used in a while. Yoona helped her with the gears. Yoona and Tiffany entered the shooting range and started the test.

 

S.S. So Shi, Middle of Sea of Japan

The cargo carried many crates and items that belonged to the people in the ship. They piled on top of each other and they were safely secured by chains and ropes. The journey was calm. A pair of eyes opened in the dark. It gave off a yawning sound as it walked toward the light, revealing sleepy but an attentive young girl. She was tall despite her age and her black hair was long, secured tightly by a single ribbon.

“Unnie.” She called out. She stopped in front of a big black coffin. She pouted. She knocked once on the coffin while calling out.

“…”

“Unnie. Unnie.” She called out once again.

“…”

“Unnie, are we at Seoul yet?” Again, no answer.

“Un-nie~ Un-nie~” She broke out the syllables as she knocked at the coffin with a rhythm.

“…”

“Unnie~! Unnie~!” The young girl was now banging on the coffin, repeating it many more. The coffin opened.

“Oh, Unnie!” The girl called out. A leather-gloved hand came out of the space. The young girl was smiling until the hand clenched very tightly and hovered over her head. Then… pak! The young girl’s head crashed down the hard metal ground. The hand went back in the coffin and it closed shut. The young girl raised her head up and breathed deeply, seemingly okay (?). O_o?!

“Ouch… You’re so mean, Unnie. You didn’t have to hit me.” She placed her hand on her head as it ached a little from the fist’s impact.

“You could’ve just said that we’re not there yet…” She nursed her head for a bit before standing up. She looked up the stairs on one side of the room.

‘I’ll go out for a bit. I’ll just explore around.’ She thought but froze. She remembered her sister’s words.

‘Now, Soojung. Don’t go exploring around the ship. We cannot interact with other people until we get to Seoul. Stay down here and sleep.’

The young girl, Soojung, introduced as Krystal, gulped. She slowly crept up the stairs and left the room.

Krystal came up the upper deck and breathed deeply.

“Ha~ It’s so beautiful tonight.” She heard movement so she quickly hid. She caught a scent and it smelled like a New blood. She peeked at the vampire and saw a familiar girl.

The vampire turned and their eyes met and she immediately realized who the vampire is. Krystal ran up to her to greet.

“Sunny unnie!”

“Oh! Krystal. I didn’t know you rode this ship. Is Jessica here?” Sunny asked.

“Yup. She’s sleeping down there in the cargo.” Krystal looked down. Sunny laughed.

“Did you disobey her again? You might get beat up just like last time.” She looked beyond and saw a familiar place.

“Well, we’re docking soon. It’d be best if Jessica didn’t saw me today. I wouldn’t want to meet her after so long and face HellSica. Don’t tell her, okay?” Krystal nodded.

“Okay. That’s a promise. Once she receives her missions, then we can probably meet sometimes. Oh, go back to your sister now. That might lessen her anger.” Sunny bid her farewell. Krystal looked back at the way she came. She sighed and walked back.

 

 

A/N: Hi, guys! This is my new project. I started making this idea notebook so I wrote some ideas and scenes there. After FoS, this was next in line. I hope you guys stay with me until the end of this one, too. Oh, I changed some sequences on the dialogues so I hope you're fine with that. ^^;

If you guys want, you can guess what anime I got the scenes from. Credits to that show.

Anyway, I gratefully thank you all for subscribing to my story right away and leaving some comments. It really makes me feel bubbly inside.

My Science Fair’s Review of Literature is due by Friday so I’m not sure if I can update right away but I’ll try to update the next chapter next week.

I’ll try to become a more active member of AFF so be good to me.

See you guys next time. ^-^v