Chapter 5

So NOT Gonna Let You Go

 

My broken heart like a wave, My shaken heart like a wind
My heart vanished like smoke, It can't be removed like a tattoo
I sigh deeply as if a ground is going to cave in

- Day by day, Big Bang

 


 

You were striding your way towards the sidewalk, occasionally looking at the street signs and the shops that were starting to open, on your side. You were eyeing them from their luminous rectangular sign boards to its contents peeking through its windows.

You bobbed your head through the rhythm while listening to the songs inside your phone, on shuffle, as you sing along to some of the songs, silently.

Your steps halt into a stop in front of a cafe with wooden exteriors and cute decorations on its window. You looked at the window and saw that there were only few customers inside, making you smile because of the number of vacant seats inside.

You were welcomed by the scent of old newspaper and the sound of people chattering, immersed with their own businesses. You found your way towards the back part of the cafe, sitting beside the window to have a better view of the people walking outside.

You ordered an espresso at the counter before you make your way again to your seat and snatched one of the magazines found under the glass of your table.

You keep on mouthing the words to the song you were playing until it ended. And then you heard those lyrics…

 

But on and on from the moment I wake
To the moment I sleep
I’ll be there by your side
Just you try and stop me

 

Do you know that song that reminds you of that specific person?

Either a friend, a lover, a stranger.

Someone.

 

I’ll be waiting in a line
Just to see if you care

 

There will always be that song that reminds you of someone you know or someone who made a great impact in your life, whether you like it or not.

 

 

"Do you want me to change? Well I change for good. And I want you to know, that you always get your way. And I wanted to say.."

"Wow Kai! You’ve been singing that song a lot lately" You taunted as he looked at you with those boyish smile of his. "Man! Your voice is annoying".

Instead, he leaned on you a little closely and smiled, before he placed his finger on your lips and gave you a wink.

"Don’t you shiver, shiver, sing it loud and clear" He sang it out loud as he spread his arms trying to cope up with your fast steps.

He insisted on walking you home again because he told you he can always be your protection towards the bad guys that you will meet on the street.

You’ve never met a bad guy on your way home before but he insisted that they would come after you on the times you don’t expect them. So for safety, he always insists to accompany you on your four block way home.

It wasn’t even a long way home and you don’t even know why he’s acting this way to you.

He makes you feel confuse and the more he does this. The more you are falling for him.

And you can’t fall for him because you think he likes someone else. And then he’s your friend, as well.

He grinned at you as his hands found its way to your palms, clasping your fingers to his, “I’ll always be waiting for you so you know how much I need you. But you never even see me, do you? And is this my final chance of getting you?

"Are you drunk, Kai? Or are you simply on crack?" You snorted and placed the top of the plastic bottle on your lips to drink your water.

Your hands immediately whisked his hand off of yours and pushed him away from you as a joke. He stopped singing and massaged his arms before giving you a fake-‘hurt’ look.

You tried to smile and said, “You know for a guy, you are such a wussy?”

"You know for a girl, you are quite naive" He retorted.

You gave him a look and spat, “Excuse me! I am not naive!”

If you only knew

"Yes you are" He walked to your side and imitated your reaction making you shook your head in disbelief and said, "Well at least I’m not immature".

"And just as I thought, you’re different" You mumbled.

You just hate how he is playing with your feelings. There were times where he would hug you and pin you beside him. He would play with your hair sometimes to annoy you. He would whisper something on you wherein his lips would touch your ear, sending chills to your spine.

He would hold your hand at times. Say ‘I love you’ as a joke. Carry you. Care for you.

He confuses you. And you hate him for doing that.

"Why? What do you think of me?" He stopped walking, anticipating the things you’ll say.

You stopped to look at him then rolled your eyes. You have no time for things like this. You just wanted to go home and sleep so you would stop thinking about him for a moment.

You started to walk again leaving him behind. You don’t want to talk to him about this. It is not the time to be like this around him.

He just can’t see you cry especially if it’s about him.

He jogged towards you as he caught your wrist, halting you. “Wait, Cho, Please stop”

You tried to get away from his grasp but no matter how hard you try, he’s a guy and he’s stronger than you. “Kai please! Just let me go. I want to go home”

He moved you to face him and stared at your eyes. His hands found its way from your hands travelling to your cheeks, fixing it at his own gaze, “Hey! Look at me, Cho. What’s the problem?”

There it goes again. It’s always those eyes that makes you weak and the look he gives you like he knows you more than you know yourself. It was always like he cares for you and your feelings.

You looked away and hissed, “You know what’s the problem?”. You removed his hands away from you and shouted, “This! You, acting like this! I hate it, Kai! I just hate it!”

"What? Why? Did I do something? As far as I know, I’m being nice to you" He looked at you like you’re a wreck, like he couldn’t understand you. "Far more nice than all the girls I knew"

You looked at him, with tears in your eyes, “See, That’s the problem! You are extra nice that it confuses me. I hate it Kai! I hate how you confuse me”.

He wiped the tears in your eyes and craned your chin to adjust you to his height. His forehead met yours and whispered, “Hey! Listen to me Cho”. He snatched your hand and placed it to his chest, “Feel my heart. Feel my heartbeat. Can you feel how fast it beats when I’m with you? I’ve never felt this way before about someone. It was always like this ever since I’ve met you”.

The two of you closed your eyes as your nose touched each other, “I like you, Cho. I like you so much. Let’s give each other a chance, please”.

His voice calmed you and then before you knew it, you stopped crying. “I don’t know Kai. I’m scared”

Which is true, because that means you crossed the lines of your friendship. What if you two, broke up? Will you stay the same as then after that relationship, ended? You hate changes. And as much as you hate changes, you also hate how your feelings are building up inside of you because of him.

"Just give me a chance, Cho" He pleaded through his whisper, still with his forehead stuck on yours.

He pulled away, gazing at you intently. “Let’s not think about tomorrow, okay? I love you, Cho and that’s what’s important now”.

"Now let me ask you, Choan Kang. Do you love me too?" He asked.

You looked at him searching for some doubt in his eyes and yet all he gave was sincerity and gentle gazes which melts your soul, so badly.

"Of course, Kai. I love you too"

And with that you felt his lips touch yours, sealing you to a tingling feeling you couldn’t forget. It was one of those kisses from him that you wanted to treasure because at that moment, you felt like you’re his and he’s yours, for the first time.

 

And you’re down to now.

You shook your head, hoping your thoughts will fade like a cream slowly dissolving on someone else’s coffee. You press next on your phone before you took a sip of your coffee and looked outside the window.

It was only then that you realize that there were droplets of water on the window, which signals that it’s raining outside. You looked at the people running outside, trying to find a place to shed in.

You were drinking your espresso when a certain person caught your eye.

Despite the rain pouring down outside, someone was just staying in the middle of the street like there’s no rain at all.

And he’s not just staying outside, he’s dancing.

You thought no one here dances on the street as passionately as that but you were wrong, he looks like he’s enjoying the rain more while doing his moves, keenly.

Smooth. You mouthed.

The mere thought made your stomach squeezed inside. You miss New York. You miss being in New York but you have to leave a lot of things behind to find true happiness, and you wouldn’t find that when you are always stuck up with your past.

You tried to search for his face but his hood was pulled down, giving him a mysterious vibe. Even though, he has his jacket on, you could see that his body shape screams masculinity.

If it weren’t for the rain, you could’ve join him outside and talk to him. But then, it’s your first day in a foreign land and the last thing you want right now is to be wet all-over despite the jetlag you are feeling right now.

 

You snatched the tissue paper beside your drink when you realized that there’s a paper tuck underneath with a mix of different colors, making it attractive to the eye of someone who looks at it. You grabbed it to take a closer look. It says ‘Seoul Underground Dance Academy’.

You looked for someone who might be a good candidate who brought it to your table and your eyes landed on the girl barista at the counter, who grins at you with an eyecsmile like you’ve known her forever.

You frowned at her and browsed the contents of the paper. You saw that the tuition fee isn’t pricey at all. Yet it also looks like a prominent underground school for dancing.

Your lips automatically twitched into a knowing smile. Maybe Seoul is not that bad at all.

You looked again at the girl and saw that she’s serving someone at the counter whom you know just from the get up he has, is also a dancer.

A decision was suddenly formed in your mind as you took a sip of your drink. You don’t have anything to do in Seoul by the way so might as well give it a try.

Because statistically speaking, it wasn’t Kai who stole your heart for the first time.

It was dancing.

 


 

[a/n: the song Kai was singing is Shiver by Coldplay ^^]