Chapter 3

So NOT Gonna Let You Go

 

I got used to it although I cried on some days
Still, that kind of pain raised you up higher for me
You, who left me – you, who cast me aside

- Beautiful Pain, Kim Minjong

 


 

You scowled in disgust because the two would exchange incoherent mumblings in front of you, which is annoying in some ways. You felt pathetic standing in front of them not knowing what they were saying, about you. And even though one of them is your sister, you just can't help but be annoyed and aggravated at them.

"Stop it. Will you!" You ordered as you glared at them. "Can't you just say what you want to say to me? I mean, you can tell me if you want to accept me or not. I can always go to a nearby hotel or something".  You finished off your sentence by rolling your eyes which made Myungsoo scoff at you.

"Does your sister know how a guest should act on another person's house even though it is owned by her sister and her sister's husband?" Myungsoo murmured to Hyejin which is also a little bit loud for you to hear.

"Well I'm sorry, Sir if I did pester you and my sister” You shook your head in disbelief and retorted. “And why are you baby-talking my sister, what are you five?”

"What the-" Myungsoo said but he was stopped by your sister. She gave him a knowing glance which signals him to go and she'll handle it by herself. He glowered in defeat, "I'm sorry. I should go now".

He stood up from the arm rest of the couch and then leaned in to give your sister a quick peck on the cheeks. You may dislike his attitude but you greatly admire him for loving your sister so dearly.   No, you greatly admire them as a couple.   

"I may not be able to see you for a few weeks but I promise I'll meet you every now and then" He smiled inwardly as he caress your sister's cheeks. "I love you babe, See you soon" He gave your sister a short but sweet kiss on the lips and then turn to you, "And Cho, Bye too..".

You can't do anything but to nod with disinterest. You know it's a little bit abiding the rule of courtesy but that's just how you treat people who don’t concern you. You looked away so you wouldn't see his scowling face. And waited for him to go until you heard the gate's pesky sound before it was shut and locked.

You gave your sister a side glance, "So..."

"So.. What brings you here? Did your mom and Sungjae know you're here?" She said as she examined you carefully.

You didn't answer her. Instead, you stood up and roam yourself around the room, changing the subject. "Nice taste,  I never expect you to live in this kind of house. This is too.. I don't know,  Small and too cramped. Your life was too good to be true back in U.S, why are you staying here?".

Hyejin's lips formed into a curvy smirk, "Aren't I supposed to ask that to you? Your life is too good to be true in U.S but why did you chose to fly here? I'm used to this house. Besides, beneath these crappy walls are memories I couldn't forget. That makes me comfortable and attached in this house".

“Ok”

 

You were lost for words and stared at her for seconds, what would you say to her? You were afraid that if you tell her the truth, that you ran away from your home, she will call your mom that you were at her house and you will be forced to go back to the hell hole you never expected you'd live in.

"What makes you think, I'm staying here for good?” You pretended to smirk. She can’t know, you are being nervous about this.

"Why? Aren’t you?" Hyejin raised her left eyebrow.

You blinked for a second and said, “No”

"Cho! This is trouble! I just can’t accept you here, she’ll get angry at me" Hyejin protested.

"Why are you stressing things up? It’s not like she’s gonna kill you or something?" You taunted as you place your hand on your chin and smiled at her.

"Of course, I’m stressing! You ran away from home without telling anyone!" She responded, looking angrier than ever.

"Chill! Ok?! The worst thing she could do is just go here and drag me back to New York" You rolled your eyes and continued persuading your sister. "And oh please, you were the last person she could talk to about me cause she knows I’m so distant to you"

"Which you are" she responded.

You forced a smile and said, “Well that’s why I chose you! Besides, don’t you like it? We’re going to have our sisterly bonding session. Isn’t that great?”. The last sentence turned out to be as pitchy as it needs to be, it looks fake, which made your sister roll her eyes in response.

"So… You’re not going to throw me out of the house?" You asked hopefully.

She deliberated for a moment. You know her. She wouldn’t kick you out. You know that she knows about your little problem with your mother and how she wanted you to study business yet all you ever want was to study dancing. She knew about your dreams and she would sometimes get on, on you and your mother’s fight. She would defend you at times. And yet you chose to be a around her.

And now, you’re going to make up for it.

Little by little.

She sighed, “Fine”.

You gave her a sincere smile and said, “Thank you”.

You know it’s hard for her to say it’s okay because first, your mom is as evil as she seems to you but not to your sister yet if she realizes your sister is meddling with your business with your mom, she knows that she’ll be doomed especially your mom is a two-faced and as harsh as it seems, you are very much aware of that.

Second, Myungsoo wouldn’t want you in the house. Of course he wouldn’t want you, no reasons needed for that. You are such a blocker or at least to your sister and her cheesy lover. What can you say? Myungsoo’s actions towards your sister makes you puke, as well. Ugh! He’s like the cheesiest person alive.

Lastly, You are the problem. No! You are their problem. You love to break the rules, it’s so fun for you to break rules because you feel like you are more free. Besides, You are still young, you don’t want to think about the future first. And past. It just stresses you out.

You smiled in victory. You stood up and headed for the door, when you heard your sister shout, “Hey! Where are you going?”.

"Clubbing?" You taunted.

She creased her eyebrows together, “What?!”

You rolled your eyes. Who goes clubbing at seven thirty in the morning? You laughed inside your head ‘cause it’s freakin’ obvious that she thinks a lot of stuff right now, she forgot to have common sense. Oh please! Relax

"Seriously, Hyejin! Just relax. I’ll just go grab some drink outside- Oh! And not beer in case you’ll freak out again" You reassured her

She gaped at you and face palmed. She’s annoyed to the bones, you can sense it she chose to make herself calm. Sometimes it annoys you how can she do that and yet that’s also that one thing that you admire about her.

"Don’t worry about me, I’ve got some maps here on my pocket. I’ll just have a little tour around your city. Just don’t worry about me" You said finally before you left her house and set foot outside.