The Power Outage

Play, Stop, Rewind : EXO Ficlet Collection

author’s note: written in my notebook next to an actual fireplace during an actual power outage. i was freezing cold and kind of lonely and this is the reality i wanted. it’s adorable and romantic and fluffy and i’m not even sorry.

//

“There!” Kris said as he stepped back from the fireplace, his expression proud. You rubbed an appreciative palm over his back before switching off the batter-powered lantern. Orange and yellow flames flickered to life in the stone hearth, soon becoming the only illumination in the moonless night.

“I can’t remember the last time the power went out.” You said as you set the lantern in its place on the counter. Stretching your limbs out with a groan, you sprawled yourself in front of the fire, happily absorbing the warmth. Kris knelt by your side. It was almost eerily quiet; the only sounds emanated from the snow-muffled winds and the fire dancing along the crackling logs. You closed your eyes and reveled in the stillness.

It felt good, in a way; the lack of electricity was a reminder to take it slow. No texts, no email deadlines, not even the hum of the refrigerator in the background.

When you opened your eyes again, Kris was looking down at you affectionately, his eyes almost distant. It caught you off guard.

“What?” You asked, with a tilt of your head.

“Nothing,” He replied in a quiet breath, a small smile quirking the corners of his lips. “You’re just so beautiful.”

“Oh, stop.” You rolled onto your side smacked him on the thigh, but you couldn’t deny the blush that dusted your cheeks.

“I’m serious.” He said, reaching out to ghost his knuckles over the side of your face. “Sometimes I get caught up looking at you and can’t believe you’re mine.”

His fingers combed through your hair and he bent at the waist to kiss you. You tilted your face up to better meld your lips together, your own hand grazing his skin; fingertips brushing the shell of his ear and tracing intricate earrings.

Kris’ breath left in a slow stream, a contented moan on the edge of his exhale as his lips parted against yours. You pulled apart slowly, after seconds or minutes or hours, you weren’t sure; lips separating with a signature smooching sound and causing you to grin up at him.

“Come down here with me,” You tugged Kris’ sleeve and he eagerly shifted down to lie on his back. In turn, you shuffled up and he wrapped his arm around your shoulders to draw you close. He rubbed small circles in the center of your back.

“I love you.” His deep voice rumbled beneath your ear and you nuzzled into his sweatshirt. His scent was deep and heady and uniquely Kris.

“I love you, too.” You returned, fingers tracing over his shoulder and along his arm. Humming in calm content, you threw one of your legs over his and closed your eyes again. Kris’ breath puffed gently against your cheek as his fingers continued to draw invisible patterns over your back.

And the lightless night seemed to grow just a little bit warmer.