Taoris Post Break-Up

Play, Stop, Rewind : EXO Ficlet Collection

ASKBOX CHALLENGE: Taoris getting back together after a bad break up?

-

The café was warm, smelling of fresh roasted coffee beans and sweet desserts. It was something of a haven to Kris; despite the busy, bustling atmosphere on the inside, it somehow eased his nerves and allowed him to slow down.

The next time he glanced out the window, however, he felt his pulse quicken. A familiar head of tousled black hair suddenly appeared around the corner across the street. Tao?! It’d been so long since he’d been in contact with the younger male; a few years at least, after their stressful breakup. But he thought about him all the time.

Kris gnawed his lip, staring at the ebony-haired youth making his way down the sidewalk. He was moving briskly, clearly eager to get out of the cold. He was almost out of Kris’ line of sight. You were so mean to him, the blond thought to himself. You said such awful things, and you knew how sensitive he is. That was years ago; but if he got up now, would Tao even forgive him? Or would he shrug him off as a dark piece of his past? Or, even worse, would his presence make Tao start crying?

With a sharp inhale, Kris stood up quickly and bundled his scarf around his neck. Hastily buttoning his coat, he ordered a second latte and rushed out the door. Tao’s back was to him now, nearly on the next block over. Luckily, the streets were quiet and Kris maneuvered his way over to his dark haired ex. As he approached, he slowed his pace, not wanting to be out of breath when he caught up to the younger’s shoulder.

“Tao,” Kris called, now only a few yards away. Tao halted in his tracks, head cocking to the side as if he wasn’t sure if he heard his name. Kris called again, and he turned around slowly.

“Kris—!” The younger breathed, eyes wide. His stance faltered, looking much like a spooked animal who didn’t know whether to run or fight. Once the blond was face to face with him, he straightened up, but took a step back.

“It’s been a while.” The elder said, eyes darting to the ground. Tao just nodded, fidgeting fingers now hidden in his pockets. “I was wondering if… Maybe you’d like to take a walk with me? We could catch up.”

“You hurt me, Kris.” Tao blurted, rubbing the back of his neck. Kris blanched. “You hurt me a lot.”

“Tao, I—“

“But I’m still so in love with you.”

“Ah,” A smile lifted the corners of the blond’s mouth, his next words soft and sincere. “I’m still in love with you too, Taozi.”

Silence hung in the air as they watched each other, calculating. Finally, the younger nodded. “We can walk together.”

“This is for you,” Kris held out the second cup in his hands. “You looked pretty cold.”

The younger accepted the warm cup into his hands with an eager nod of thanks. He took a sip, and a blush instantly stained his cheeks. “You still remember how I like my coffee?”

“It’s one of those things I won’t ever forget.” Kris said slowly, and watched as Tao’s shoulders relaxed, tension and fear melting away. He tentatively reached out to wrap his arm around those shoulders, relieved when he wasn’t pushed away. They began walking again, stepping over broken memories and onto the trail of new beginnings.