Chapter 9: What's gonna happen to us?

MY FIRST LOVE

We all went silent by Zelo's sudden news. We didn't know what to say, instead we all got up and headed out and went to the hospital Yongguk and Jieun were headed to.

When we got there, we found Yongguk sitting on one of the long connected chairs that's usually found in most hospitals. His head was bent down, resting on his intertwined hands, elbows resting on his thighs. I rushed over to him the second I saw such a sad sight. A side I haven't seen from Yongguk.

I was worried.. really worried. I'm afraid of what he's thinking, what was going on inside his head. I'm afraid that.... he might be blaming himself for what had happened to Jieun.

"Yongguk..." I went down on my knees and held his hands.

He slowly lifted his head to look at me. what I saw next.... broke my heart into pieces.

His face was pale that showed fear, hatred, and desperation. I held his face, so that I can get a better view of him. I wanted to share his suffering. I couldn't bare to see him like this... not like this..

"S- Sun...ny...." he said when he finally realized that it was me infront of him.

A tear fell from his eye, and ran down his pale cheeks. I hugged him tightly to give him some security. I wanted him to know that I was there, no matter what happens, I'll be there by his side. That I'm there to catch him, if he falls.

I didn't want to see him suffer... if I could take his suffering, I would. I couldn't do anything.... I'm slowly feeling fear, that if he breaks......

 

 

What's gonna happen to us?

He clung to me like a child. Crying, desperately trying to hold onto what was left of his strength to stay strong. I held him... hugging him tightly, starting to tear up myself. I decided that, whatever happens after this... I would always be here for him. No matter what happens... even if Yongguk makes a decision that would break my heart.... I would always be here.

After an hour... Yongguk still held onto me. I was sitting on the cold hospital floor, trying to support both of our weights. He was leaning onto me, arms wrapped around me, his face was hidden. I kissed his head and he slowly looked up at me. When I could finally see his face... his eyes were red and puffy from crying. The tears might've dried up, but you can clearly see the traces left behind. I held his face with both my hands and wiped one side of his cheek with my thumb.

"Sunny... "

"hm?.."

"saranghae....."

Somehow... when he said that one word... instead of making me happy, I felt that something was wrong.... you could say it was a woman's instinct.

"mm-hmm.... I love you too.... a lot"

[1 Week After]

Jieun finally woke up.

"Jieun?..." Yongguk said when he saw Jieun woke up. 

Yongguk was sitting on a chair beside Jieun's bed and was watching her the whole week. I always dropped by to give him food or to make him rest after I got off work or when school was finished. I rushed to his side when I saw her wake up. 

"Jieun-ssi?..." I said.

Jieun's eyes were exploring the room, probably trying to figure out where she was.

"w...where am I?"

"you're in the hospital.." Yongguk said.

"how are you feeling?" I asked her.

When Jieun looked towards us, she just stared. What she said next.... startled the both of us.

 

 

 

"w...who are you two?.." she asked us, with confusion clearly showing on her face.

Yongguk quickly pressed the nurse call button beside Jieun's bed. It just took seconds before doctors and nurses came in and asked what was wrong.

"Doctor... how come she can't remember me?...us?" Yongguk asked the doctor examining Jieun.

"hmm... it's probably from hitting her head.."

"but you said she's fine! that nothing was wrong with her! you did tons of examination on her!!" Yongguk said, his voice slowly rising up.

"Yongguk-ssi.. the brain is very unpredictable... we don't clearly know what would happen, when events occur.... but just to make sure... we're gonna be doing more examination on her..."

After hearing what the doctor had said, Yongguk just sat on his chair head bent down, trying to process everything. After they finished examining Jieun, I walked the doctor out and listened to his instructions. 

"I understand..."

"ok..then I'll be leaving.."

"thank you so much" I bowed and walked back inside the room.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"can you remember anything at all Jieun?....just before you passed out before.... not even a little thing?" Yongguk asked.

"ani.... mian, is there anything important that I should remember?"

Yongguk just simply smiled and looked at me when he noticed I was beside him.

"Sunny... what else did the doctor say?"

"huh?....oh... don't force her to remember anything, let her take her time. uhm.... make sure she doesn't overdo anything... if she gets any headache, just give her some medicine for relief... and that she should be able to leave the hospital in 3 days after all the examination." I explained to him.

"ok... I'll make sure I do that...."

"ah...that reminds me.... Jieun-ssi... are you hungry? I brought food.." 

Jieun looked at me and simply nodded. I smiled and walked over to the table where I left the bag containing the tupper wares with the food.

After I left, Jieun asked Yongguk....

"yah... who is she?... she's pretty" 

"hm?... *looks at Sunny and smiles*.....she's... my......---"

[SILENCE]

"she's your?" Jieun asked.

 

 

 

 

"She's........... a friend."

"ooh.... I see."

"yeah.... can you get up?... or should I just ask her to bring the food to your bed?"

"ah....ani, I kinda wanna move around for a bit.."

"oh... ok, here I'll help you up.."

When I turned around, I saw Yongguk hugging and supporting the struggling Jieun to stand up. Yongguk's arm were around her and he was also holding her hand. I watched as the person I loved the most, hug another woman.

Jieun almost fell over, but Yongguk caught her and they ended up in a hugging position. They stared at each others eyes for a short period of time... but to me it felt like hours.

"gwaenchanh-a?" 

"ah..ne... gamsahabnida"

They smiled at each other, when I could no longer watch, I looked away and tried to calm myself down.

When I noticed that they reached the table and Yongguk was helping Jieun sit down on the chair, I quickly arranged the foods on the table and poured water for them.

After they both started eating, Yongguk looked up at me.

"You're not gonna eat?"

"ani... I have to go soon.... I have a big project I need to start working on..."

"oh... ok, want me to drive you back?"

"ani~... I'll be fine... stay here with Jieun"

"mm....ok"

I walked towards the chair by the window and grabbed my coat and purse. I headed towards the door when Yongguk called out to me.

"Sunny!"

I turned around.

"ne?"

"I'll walk you out..."

"oh... uh... ani, just stay here with Jieun"

"ani... I'll walk you out..... Jieun! I'll be back.."

"okay" Jieun replied.

When we got outside, Yongguk pulled me in for a hug. And just like his usual hugs, he would hug me tightly. But this time, instead of giving himself security, it was directed to me. Just so that I wouldn't doubt and that I would still believe in him. Which I still do.

"mian, jagiya...."

*I shook my head* "ani. it's ok... I understand"

"yeah.... let's go.."

After we got outside the hospital, we hugged for the last time, and walked towards the streets. I waved to a taxi and it stopped in front of me. I got on and told the driver my destination and drove off.

After 20 minutes, we arrived and I paid the taxi driver, I said my thanks and got off. I was walking up the stairs when my phone started to ring.

"yeoboseyo?"

"May I speak with Miss Lee Sunny?"

"speaking..."

"Hi Miss Lee, my name's Choi Hana"

"Hi... uhm, how can I help you?"

"I am you're father's... the president's secretary..."

"ah... I see, is something wrong with my father?"

"no, not really.. he's perfectly healthy in fact."

"well...then..."

"You're father has asked me to inform you that he wants your presence in the upcoming "50 years" company celebration that's being held in New York."

"oh.. well, I would love to... but I'm kind of busy... I don't thi--" I got cut off.

"Miss Lee... you're father's announcing you being part of the company by becoming the president, since he'll be taking over your grandfather's position as Chairman... you are the only heir to the Lee corporation.."

"MWO!?... my father never discussed this to me... he never told me that I would be taking over him...."

"A car will be picking you up in 2 days... please get ready by then.."

"Yah!... wait a second... I can't just leave school! and I have import--"

"This is way more important then anything else Miss Lee..."

"wait... you can't ju--"

*Doot* *Doot* *Doot*

The woman hanged up on me. I can't believe it... how come my father's never talked to me about this before... ME!? taking over!?... I can't.. I was never prepared for this... I have no idea how to be a president... and there's also Yongguk... I can't just leave him during this time....

 

 

What am I gonna do?.....