Chapter 9

Spotlight

 

No author's note this time, but I hope you all enjoy! ~Admin Kelc

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You tapped a marker against your lips as you narrowed your eyes and stared intensely at the whiteboard in front of you. Being a visual type of person, you realized that the only way you could sort out your thoughts was if you wrote them down.

So there you stood in your room, staring at a chart you drew, the first column with reasons for picking Myungsoo and the second column with reasons for picking L.Joe.

The traits you listed in both columns were equally important in a relationship and to you. Both boys were trustworthy and loyal. They also could both understand your rookie idol lifestyle, being that they were rookies once themselves.

You also looked at the things that you did with each boy and tried to determine which one was closer to you.

'Myungsoo was the first one I had an official date with, but L.Joe was the first one to drop honorifics and … kiss me,' you bit your lip and tilted your head to the side, 'But then again, Myungsoo did ask me out in person …'

You let out a frustrated groan and sat down on your bed.

"Man, it's like I'm choosing my husband to be or something," you muttered and threw yourself onto your back.

"Okay, I just need to pick one," you said to yourself, closing your eyes.  

You pictured the two boys in your mind and slowly one of them started to fade away.

You opened your eyes and sat up. After grabbing your phone, you typed two text messages and sent them.

You then uncapped the pen that was on the bed next to you and slowly walked up to the whiteboard.

"I hope I'm making the right choice," you whispered and held your breath as you circled one of the names.

---

"You got the message, too?" L.Joe asked as he walked up to Myungsoo who was sitting on one of the benches in the desert park next to your dorm.

Myungsoo scooted over to the side to make room for L.Joe, "Yeah, I think we both know what she wants to talk to us about."

L.Joe silently nodded his head, "Do you think that she's going to pick one of us?"

"What else would she do? Reject both of us?" Myungsoo asked.

"I don't know, maybe," L.Joe shrugged, "She did leave in the middle of our argument a few days ago without a word. She hasn't been responding to any of my texts too."

"Mine either," Myungsoo pressed his lips into a thin line, "We really messed up, didn't we?"

"You can say that again," L.Joe let out a bitter laugh.

The two boys fell into silence, both of them staring at their shoes and their hands in their coat pockets.

"I'm sorry I ruined your date," L.Joe said suddenly.

"It's okay," Myungsoo looked at the boy sitting next to him and gave him a small smiled, "I'm sorry I stole her away from recording with you. I'm pretty sure she would've went on Running Man if I didn't text her and ask her out."

"No, actually you kind of saved me," L.Joe shook his head, "Me and the members were not … the best at those challenges."

The two boys shared a laugh, the first one they shared in over a month.

"I can totally imagine that," Myungsoo said between fits of laughter.

"Hey! Those challenges are hard, okay?!" L.Joe tried to defend himself but ended up laughing anyways.

When their laughter died down, they fell into silence again.

"Okay, let's make a deal," Myungsoo said, angling his body towards the younger boy.

"What for?" L.Joe asked.

"No matter who ______-ah picks, if she does pick one of us, we won't let it ruin our friendship and our bands' friendship too."

"And we won't get angry at ______ because her happiness is most important. Or at least, we'll try not to be angry," L.Joe added with a nod.

Myungsoo nodded in agreement and held out his hand, "Deal?"

"Deal," L.Joe gasped his hand and gave it a shake.

Myungsoo gave L.Joe a pat on his back, which L.Joe returned with a nudge to Myungsoo's side.

"Sorry, I took so long."

The boy turned to their side and quickly stood up from the bench when they saw you walking up to them.

"It's fine," Myungsoo shook his head.

"Yeah, we weren't waiting that long," L.Joe gave you a smile.

You looked between the two boys and noticed that they seemed pretty comfortable standing next to each other, a lot more comfortable than the last time you saw them together in the café.

"Okay, then," you said slowly, your eyes still darting between the two boys.

"So what did you want to talk to us about?" Myungsoo asked.

"Oh!" you snapped out of your daze and stuffed your hands in your pocket, "I just wanted to let you both know … you know …"

"Who you're going to pick?" L.joe finished for you with a smirk.

"Yeah, that," you nodded, "But I just want to say a few things first."

"Go ahead," Myungsoo motioned for you to continue.

"Okay, to start off, the person that I'm going to pick isn't automatically going to become my boyfriend," you said slowly, the two boys' eyes widening in shock, "He's just the person that I want to continue seeing and maybe boy friend in the future if it works out. But most of all, I hope that this decision doesn't ruin any of our friendships. You two are great guys and I would honestly rather have both as my friends than one of you as my boyfriend."

"But we still both want to be your boyfriend," L.Joe mumbled under his breath causing Myungsoo to stifle a laugh and try to hold his poker face.

You pretended not to hear him and continued talking, "So, it took me a long time and I really, really thought about this. But I have made my decision."

The two boys look at you anxiously, anticipation in both of their eyes.

"So, I want to keep seeing …"

You took a deep breath and said a name.