Drama at the Market

Beauty Is Only Skin Deep

 

I stared up at the ceiling, music blasting into my ears.

‘________! Can you come with me to the market?’ Umma yelled from the front door. I stopped my music.

‘Ne! I’ll be downstairs in 5~!’ I replied back and hastily changed out of my pajamas. I smiled at umma as I got in the car.

‘So… Have you got a boyfriend yet?’ She asked.

This topic again…. =.=

‘Ani umma.’ I shook my head.

‘Hm… A crush then?’ She guessed. I thought of Kris, but then remembered that my heart doesn’t go crazy for him anymore.

Who do I like?

‘Um… No-one is in my mind really…’ I replied as we turned a corner. Before long, I was hopping out of the car and browsing through the instant noodle section. I heard arguing voices behind me, but ignored them. Suddenly, I was pushed to the ground, almost knocking my head against the shelves. A hand appeared in my sight and helped me up.

‘________! So sorry!’ I looked up and saw Kris, with Cho Hee frowning behind him. I figured that they were the ones arguing. I dusted my shorts and shook my head.

‘It’s alright. No harm done.’ I smiled at him. Cho Hee scoffed and pushed Kris away from me.

‘Go away you ! All you do is flirt. Such a loser.’ She spat out the words in my face. I felt the words aim right for my feelings and hit them directly. They did hurt, but I didn’t let it show. A few people were staring at us now. I wanted to be pulled out of this situation so badly. Suddenly, a stinging pain spread like fire on my left cheek. I flinched, realizing that Cho Hee had just slapped me. I felt dizzy and clutched onto Kris for support. Kris glared menacingly at Cho Hee.

‘Go. Away. Now.’ He said through clenched teeth. Cho Hee merely spun on her heels and strutted away. I watched her figure walk away, knowing how deceiving looks could be. Kris caressed my cheek softly, worry filling his eyes.

‘Are you alright?’ He asked, concerned. I nodded and loosened my grip on him. Umma appeared in front of us. She smiled when she saw Kris by my side, but soon that smile faded from her face as her eyes swept over the bright red mark on my cheek.

‘Omo! Who did this to you!?’ Umma placed her grocery’s in Kris’s arms and examined my face like it was a huge diamond.

‘Ah, it’s alright umma, I guess. Just a…um… bug bite?’ I made up a ridiculous excuse, hoping that she would drop the topic and took some grocery bags from Kris. Umma stared at me, still concerned, but she saw my motive and left it at that. I sighed and walked towards the counter with her and Kris. As we exited the store, umma decided to brighten the mood and started to attack Kris with.

‘So, how long have you known my daughter for? Are you single? Do you like _______’s personality. What about her looks? Ooh~ What’s your favourite colour?’ I blushed deeply and pushed umma away from Kris, chuckling awkwardly.

‘Er… Don’t mind her…’ I said, clamping a hand over umma’s mouth. Kris laughed at the questions and answered them. Well… Almost all of them.

What does he really think of me…?

I stood there, pondering for a while, when Kris snapped his fingers in front of me.

‘Eh…?’ I asked, confused. Kris chuckled at my expression and motioned to my umma, who was arguing childishly with a stranger about something. I slapped a hand to my forehead, and dragged myself to her, pulling her away and to the car. I flashed Kris a quick smile and was about to jump into the car when he came up to me.

‘Um… I was wondering if you wanted to go to the new café with me tomorrow. You know the one down the corner called “Angel”?’ Umma had emerged from behind Kris, and started to nod her head frantically. I smiled.

‘Sure, why not?’ Umma clapped her hands, surprising Kris. He hadn’t realized that she was behind him. She immediately dropped her bag of pears on purpose and started to pick them up. Kris turned back to me.

‘So… I guess I’ll see you tomorrow then…’ He leaned in. ‘You have an awesome umma.’ He whispered and walked off. I blushed with embarrassment.

Oh, umma…

‘HE FRIGGIN ASKED YOU OUT~!’ Umma squealed excitedly, forgetting about the pears and squashed one as she walked over to me to shake my shoulders.

‘Er… Umma? He didn’t ask me out and um… the pears…’ I said, pointing to the ground.

‘Oh, who cares about the pears?! There is finally a guy in your life!’ She said and jumped into the car.

You’re forgetting umma… He’s not the first guy that’s been in my life… *sighs*

I hurriedly picked up the pears and got inside the car as well, making sure I remembered to wash the pears when we arrived home. 

A/N: Hello~! Hope you enjoyed this chappie~!