my name is...

Song and Key

“How are you feeling?” a voice asks.

I touch the bruise on my forhead. “I fell?”

“Kinda, you were pushed and fell into a pole,” he explains.

“Oh,” I sigh.

“Are you feeling ok?”

I blink. “Think so.”

“Where do you live? I can take you home if you like,” he offers and i begin to realize we're both speaking korean.

He laughs, “I live in Seoul, South Korea. Where do you live? You had luggage with you.” He points to the other side of the room, “It’s all over there,” he says again in the foreign tongue.

“Korea. Hanguk…I’m from California.”

He laughs. “I guess I should rephrase, where are you staying at in Korea?”

I think about it again. “I don’t know why I’m in Korea. I live in California.”

He stops smiling. “Is there someone you can call here?”

“I always keep my phone in my purse.”

He reaches over and hands me a bag.

“This isn’t mine.”

He sets it next to me. “You had it when you got hurt.”

I take it and it carefully. “I don’t believe this is actually mine.”

“Take a look at the photo ID, maybe you got it switch with someone and just don’t remember.”

I pull out the wallet and undo the clasp. The girl in the picture looks familiar.

“MeiXing Choi,” he says looking over my shoulder. “I didn’t think you were just Korean.”

I look up at him, “excuse me?”

“Aren’t you Chinese or Taiwanese?”  he asks.

“Yes, I’m Half Taiwanese quarter Korean and quarter white. But who is this girl?”

“You mean this isn’t you? But she looks exactly like you,” he exclaims.

I look at it again, “She looks familiar, but I’m sure my name is Chohee.”

“Chohee? Are you positive?”

I think again, “It may be my nick name on my Korean side of the family…I can’t remember.”

His eyes widen. “You can’t remember your name?”

I shake my head.

“Chohee, look for a phone.”

I continue looking and pull out a small bag and take a piece of paper from it.

“‘Tell him sorry?’” he reads aloud from the note.

I empty the bag. Bits of metal and plastic fall into my hand. I have to pull the larger piece out and realize these are all part of a cell phone.

“Jjinja!”

I look over at him.

“Chohee, do you know what day it is?”

I shake my head.

He face becomes distressed. “The year?”

I shake my head again, “maybe 2003 or 2004.”

He rubs his face with the palms of his hands. “It’s 2011, and I’m sure you’re the girl in this ID. Chohee, you are MeiXing.”

“But why am I in Korea? All of my family is in the United States and in Taiwan.”

“Chohee, I mean MeiXing, I have no idea. The only thing I know is that you yelled at me earlier today and fell into a pole.”

“Who are you?” I ask.

“Kibum Kim,” he smiles. “You must have hit your head really hard.”

“Must have. I must work with you or something.”

He laughs, “I only work in Korea and sometimes travel in parts of Asia. I’ve only been in the US a few times, but I don’t think I’ve ever met you.”

I sigh. “Maybe it’ll come to me in a while. I’m sure I know you, if I called out to you.”

He laughs. “You can stay here until you start remembering more about yourself.”

“Thank you.”

He looks at his watch. “I’ve got work in about two hours, you can come along too. See if anything helps you remember.”

“Sure.”

“Would you like to take a shower or change?”

“I would love that. Thanks,” I smile.

_____________________________________
looks like these chapters are going to be pretty short, which is good for me...but bad for anyone who actually wants to read it...sorry if there is that one person.
new chapter soon (it's already written, i just can't be bothered to post it.)
much love
-meimeng
 
and no there is no relation to her name and mine....i just really liked the name MeiXing because it means "beautiful star" and i think it would make for some clever and cheesy jokes.