Chapter 2: May I sit?

The Touch of an Angel

Kris stopped before her. His breathing heavy and ragged from jogging. He hoped he wouldn't scare her. The girl raised her eyes up towards him. He saw everything again. The pain, the confusion, and most of all, he saw the emptiness.

"May I sit?"

The girl only nodded as Kris placed himself beside her. It was quite awkward. What was he thinking? Coming back for no reason to sit beside a girl he didn't even know? He sneaked a glanced to his side and saw her staring off into the distance. What is she looking at? But in her gaze, he also noticed the lack of focus. He noticed the lack of a spark.

It was as if...her soul...had disappeared.

~~~~~~~~~~

Seohyun stared up the the man from before. What was he doing back here? 

"May I sit?" His deep voice slightly startled her as she shifted slightly for him.

She felt the tense atmosphere as they both sat in an uncomfortable silence. She continued to look off into the distance, watching as the cars quickly drove by and continued on their way. At least those people had places to go. At least they had a someone who was waiting for them wherever they were headed to.

 "Ehem." The tall gentleman cleared his throat and she turned to look at him. "What's your name?"

~~~~~~~~~~

"What's your name?" The words had left his lips before he could process what he was thinking. 

Was he that desperate to make a fool of himself? He heaved a sigh as he mentally prepared himself for some accusation of being creepy.

"Seohyun...it's Seohyun," came the gentle reply to his surprise.

He turned and stuck out his hand, "I'm Kris. Nice to meet you." Seohyun took his hand in hers. They were really cold. How long has she been sitting here?

 But Kris refrained from asking. He continued to take her features in. She was extremely pretty but what caught his attention the most were her eyes. They were a deep brown color, and they seemed to be pools of endless sadness. Kris felt as if he could have drowned staring into those eyes. 

~~~~~~~~~~

His warm hands wrapped around hers, comforting her soul just a bit. She looked at this strange man, who had appeared before her. They had lapsed back into silence, but this time, it was different. His presence was..warming. 

~~~~~~~~~~

They continued this routine for many months. He always came to do his daily running and she was always there, sitting on the park bench by the lamppost when he got there.

They sat together often when he was done, but not many words were exchanged. All Seohyun knew was that this man brought a sense of comfort, and that was more than what anybody else had given to her. All Kris knew was that Seohyun was hurt, and that he wanted to put a bandage on that pain.

Feeling bold one day, Kris decided to ask Seohyun a question. "Why do you always seem as if you're waiting for someone?" The question surprised her. She was not waiting for anyone. She had no one to wait for.

But then she realized, "I'm not waiting for someone. I'm hoping for her to come back."