Chapter 1: One Wintery Evening

The Touch of an Angel

Kris was breathless from running. The winter snow fell constantly and the gentle flakes clung to his clothing.

He let out a sigh and the cold air turned his breath into dewy droplets. Kris always loved winter. He was doing what he always did at 7 pm, jogging. He always ran on the same path, and he had frequented the park so often that the ground was now firm and smooth.

He never changed his course because he never felt the urge to. As he neared a lamppost, Kris saw a figure sitting alone on a park bench. Passing by, he casually glanced to his side and unintentionally caught her eyes. His breathe caught in his throat and it was as if his heart had heaved to a sudden stop. Kris felt the young girl's pain.

Kris continued to run, deep in thought. Who was she? It was evident that she was waiting for someone, but by the look in her eyes, it seemed as if she had lost hope. He sighed. This was none of his business but the thought of the sad, lonely looking girl weighed heavily in his mind. Taking a deep breath, Kris turned around in the opposite direction. Something he had never done before. 

.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She stared at the setting sun and continued to watch as the sky turned into majestic shades of purple and deep hues of blue. Seohyun waited for the stars to come out. Maybe then she would be able to spot a shooting star and make a wish. But as she stared harder, there were no stars to be seen tonight.

The city lights were far too bright and numerous for any glimmer of stars to appear. She lowered her eyes from the heavens. Why did you take everything from me? You won't even let me see the stars. What have I done? Seohyun pondered the thought. Where was God? She had lost her parents ten years ago. Or more like, they had left Seohyun and her sister to fend for themselves. Her parents had disappeared suddenly, leaving not a trace, as if they had been vaporized into thin air. 

The winter sky was clear and dark. Seohyun continued to sit silently. The park bench was warm, and the snow was comforting. The purity it carried reminded her of the past, of her sister. 

She watched silently as her sister's weak frail body shuddered with every shallow breath she took. It hurt to see her sister suffering like this. Seohyun felt pain shoot through her body as her sister attempted to step off the bed. "Minjee-ah, don't strain yourself, please...just rest." But her sister didn't listen. The dainty steps she took caused Seohyun to hold back sobs.. But the pain Seohyun felt to see Minjee suffering couldn't have possibly been even half of what Minjee was enduring.

That had been four months ago. Wow, only four months? It feels like forever when you have nothing to live for. Seohyun snapped quickly out of her memory as she heard the sound of heavy breathing approaching and quick footsteps making their way up the path. She looked up as the stranger passed by and their eyes met. His brown eyes were mysterious and he had a serious countenance. She diverted her gaze and he continued to run by. 


Author's note: I hope you enjoyed the first chapter! I'm sorry if its short, please comment if you want it to be longer. This is my first attempt so please be lenient with criticism ^^ but any comments are much appreciated. :D Thanks to my lovely subscribers :)