Chapter 12: Perfect Imperfections

The Touch of an Angel

Seohyun awoke to sniffling. As she turned her head slowly, she saw Kris standing, frozen by his table, a few lone tears trickling down from his puffy eyes. What should I do? Should I get up and pat his back? Should I wipe his tears? Yes? 

She rose from bed, slightly dazed and drowsy, but with enough sense to make her way to the crying giant. She reached up and patted his cheek softly. His eyes widened for a second, then he enveloped her in a tight hug, and it was as if she was suffocating from the burden of confusion on his shoulders. There there Kris. I'm here. She thought to him, hoping he felt a little bit better. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you. He squeezed the thin girl in his arms, hoping that he could let go of all of this knowledge, this crazy new realization that his sister was her sister. He felt Seohyun's hand on his back, patting and soothing him. Her gentle touch, was like the touch of an angel. 

The regret that dug at his gut twisted him into three and threatened to cleave him in two. She was in danger, and it was because of his mother.

Kris' face contorted in momentary anger. His grip tightened subconsciously, and he heard Seohyun squeak, "You're hurting me."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Kris let go and took a large step back, rubbing his neck as his face flushed pink. She was soft, so different from guys like Luhan. She must think I'm weird for clinging on for so long. 

"What's wrong op-oppa?" He looked at her red countenance, and an almost foolish grin graced his lips. She called me oppa! He poked at her cheeks and held onto her hands, causing her to stop boring holes into the ground and look at him. Her red ears were a tell-tale sign, along with her teeth that kept nervously grazing her lip. Kris smiled. I love you. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Her heart beat rapidly as she stared at their interlaced fingers. His imperfections, from his cat like eyes to his crooked smile, were beautiful. They gave his chiseled face character.

Then she realized. She was so deeply and crazily in love with these perfect imperfections of his. Their hands didn't fit together just right nor were they the perfect height for each other. But, deep in her heart, she hoped that maybe, just maybe, they had overcome fate. Maybe, they could create a new beginning together.

So with that single hope that she could find complete happiness again, she stood on her tip toes and closed the gap between them. Her lips met his in a single tender moment, and it was as if she was frozen. The fleeting peck that she had hoped to give to him had grown into something much deeper, much more passionate as his arms wrapped around her waist, locking her in place. And she felt it.

The reciprocation of the same, almost identical, burning passion that she felt every time their eyes met. His lips told her a story, spilled to her his deepest thoughts, his silent confession, and his hopeful love. I love you too. 

Everything felt so completely natural in his arms. She had never kissed anyone before, so something of this much intensity had never occurred to her. But, she knew exactly where to place her arms, and where to cling onto, and when to let her knees go weak, and when to have him hug her more tightly.

She gently placed her hand on his shoulder and took a step back, flushed, dizzy, almost gasping for breathe. That one was a doozy. 

~~~~~~~~~~~

Kris stepped forward, and held her hands again. This time he saw it. He saw the same love in her, and it gave him confidence. "I love you." He said it. 

"If you didn't already notice, I would wake up at 3 am every morning to tell you really lame jokes. And I'll do that every morning if need be." The look in her eyes was gentle and he knew he was doing the right thing, because -- she was home. 

The pity that had gotten him to turn back that one winter night had turned into much more. She didn't need his pity. She needed someone to love her, and be there, like a best friend, to fill in the void that her parents had left, that Minjee had created. Minjee. 

His mind flew back and he looked at Seohyun. Should I tell her now? Is she ready for the news? He had no clue how his sister was hers as well, but he believed that honesty was the first step. "Hey Seo,-- hold up my phone."

He jogged out to the living room where his cell phone was ringing , "heartless heartless. No one who care about me~" The caller id read: Mr. Kim. "Yes?"

"Kris? I would like to go over the advertisement deals in more detail with you, we are currently looking at model Kwon Yuri to represent us. Can you meet me at my office in half an hour?"

"Sure, no problem."

~~~~~~~~~~

Seohyun looked around the quaint little office, loving the way the sunshine spilled onto the white receptionist desk, and the little toys in the children's corner. Kris had gone into Mr. Kim's office after ensuring her of a quick visit. They were headed to lunch afterwards and she was starving.  

A little kid was in the corner, playing with blocks, stacking them up higher and higher. Seohyun stared tenderly at the young child, so full of lively energy and innocence. He was running in circles around his makeshift castle. "Zoom! Zoom!" He was an airplane. She chuckled at the amount of cuteness overflowing from the boy. Aigoo I want to pinch his cheeks. He is so adorable! Oh gosh, I having creeper noona thoughts. 

Next thing she knew, the boy had latched onto one of her wrists, dragging her over to his little kingdom. He spun her around in circles, and when they were both too dizzy to hold their ground, they both fell on their bottoms on the little carpet, giggling. "Noona, do you like being an airplane?"

Seohyun smiled, "Yes." 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Thank you, it was a great meeting today. I believe that Kwon Yuri is the best person to represent your brand. I'll bring Seohyun in right now, she'll be glad to see you."

Kris was stepping out the door, "Seo--" , then he paused. Leaning against the doorway, he had witnessed all. He saw the joy that crossed her face, and the way her eyes lit up when the little boy held onto her hand. He heard the way she laughed so carefreely when they spun in circles. Hmph. I wish I was that boy. 

But his jealously wasn't deep rooted, for it vanished when she looked up, and threw him the most lovely smile. Agh she's killing me with that smile. He moseyed over to her, and hugged her from behind, causing a slight gasp to escape her lips. "I see you like children Seohyun-shi."

She stiffened slightly and he chuckled. Gosh I love teasing her. "Let's have ten kids together, and teach 'em how to dream."

"KRIS!" She shrieked and turned around, smacking his arms away and throwing multiple blocks at him. He laughed and ran around the little kid, using the boy as a shield.

"Protect me!! Noona is trying to kill me!" They were engaged in a game of tag for a good five minutes before Kris begged defeat, sitting down tiredly on the ground and raising his hands above his head. Seohyun took this opportunity and went in for the kill. 

She attacked his ribcage, tickling the breathe out of his lungs. Kris wheezed and gasped for air as his eyes began to water. He grabbed her arms, stopping the barrage of stabs at his stomach. They both laughed and fell together in a heap in the middle of the office, oblivious to their surroundings. Luckily for the pair, it was still a little too early for people to be buying vitamins. 

"Let's go see Mr. Kim," said Kris after they had both calmed down a bit.

s Kris helped her up off the ground, Mr. Kim flew out from his office, hurriedly putting on his hat, "I'll be back shortly, Mrs. Kim needs my assistance with some business. Please wait in there until I get back." 

~~~~~~~~~~

Seohyun stepped into the office, and a wave of nostalgia hit her like a frigid winter wind on an autumn's day. The way the shelves of medical books were arranged reminded her almost hauntingly of her own bedroom, with its rows of picture books. The similar color scheme must have been just a coincidence but the sky blue walls and pale yellow curtains were strikingly identical to those of her childhood home. 

Even the smell was the same, cinnamon and newly cut grass. This sense familiarity to a foreign place scared her. She was not one to become easily attached, or easily taken by new experiences, she was quite picky actually. But this place seemed to warp her back a decade, as if she was sneaking into her appa's big grown up office. 

Appa had that same exact lamp, and those flowers were omma's favorite. The pink carnations sitting quietly atop the desk were like those that she had picked for her own mother years ago, from their own backyard. Everything is so similar. 

Her eyes gravitated towards a small table in the corner of the office, where a few picture frames were placed. Upon closer inspection, she was there! Why does Mr.Kim have a picture of my family here? What is he? Who is he? The pictures were extremely old, and she was smiling so brightly in one with Minjee and her parents. In another, it was just her and Minjee in a pair of identical plaid sundresses with huge, genuine smiles upon their faces, each holding a balloon and wearing large sunglasses. 

The pictures made it seem as if that life was only a step away, as if the frames were doorways leading to a different time. Seohyun was frozen in place as she continued to stare at the pictures. The memories continued to assault her and then she felt warmth envelope her. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Kris looked curiously at Seohyun, amused at her amazement. She wandered about the office like a young child. Kris observed her every movement and noticed the way she stopped suddenly in front of the pictures he had seen months before. The way her eyes widened and body began to tremble told him something was off. So he rushed over and wrapped her in his arms, in a hug that would hopefully comfort her. 

"Who are they? Where are they? Where have they gone?" He heard her wail. He ran his fingers through her hair and whispered words of assurance.

"We'll talk to Mr. Kim. We'll figure it all out. I'll find your parents. You'll be happy again." He held her, felt her shuddering breathe against his chest. I'm here. There there darling. I'll be here.