Chapter 6: An Unexpected Arrival

The Touch of an Angel

Kris threw on a sweater and hurriedly rushed out of his house, without even a glance at the mirror. His hair was probably a horrible mess and his socks probably didn't match his shoes, but Kris didn't care about his appearance at this moment. All he knew was that he needed to comfort Seohyun. 

~~~~~~~~~~

"I'll be right over." 

Will he really come? Seohyun didn't know. But as she sat on her bed, thinking about her parents, she couldn't care less if Kris came or not. All she cared about, was that Kris had at least made some sort of an effort. He doesn't have to come. I'm thankful enough already. 

But when she heard the sound of the doorbell, Seohyun shot out from under her blanket, rushing towards the door. She was a mess, a frenzy of tears, snot, and puffy eyes.

The moment she arrived at the door, Seohyun composed herself and put on a smile. She didn't want to scare Kris away with just one look at her. She quickly unlocked the door, forgetting to look through the peephole. As she opened the door, Seohyun's jaw went slack and she lost command of her voice. Help.

~~~~~~~~~~

Kris slammed his foot into the brake, his head crashing into the steering wheel. Luckily, his seat belt was secured and it prevented him from flying through the windshield. 

Dazed, Kris sat up. Luckily no harm was done and no accident had occurred. He looked at the car ahead of him which seemed to be undamaged. Just moments before, the car had stopped so abruptly that braking was all Kris could do in order to prevent a collision.

Just my luck. Seriously? Traffic? At like 11 p.m.? Kris sighed. This was upsetting. Seohyun was crying at her home, all alone, and he was here, stuck in a massive traffic jam. 

But he couldn't do anything about it. Kris couldn't speed up time in order to get through the traffic jam. He couldn't tell the vast population of Seoul to go to bed so he could drive over to Seohyun's house. He couldn't even keep calm when he heard a girl crying! All Kris could do was wait, and hope that Seohyun would be okay until he got there.

Kris pulled out his phone and called Seohyun, preparing to hear the sound of her voice, dry and hoarse from crying, or of her sniffling. But the phone rang and rang, still no answer. Kris got her voicemail. 

Hmm, did she fall asleep already? For some reason, Kris felt uneasy. He had just gotten off the phone with her about 10 minutes ago, could she have been tired out from crying? 

He contemplated calling her again, just to make sure. But Kris was afraid of waking her, she really needed her sleep. Should I go still? What if she is actually asleep? Then I would be an unwelcome visitor. 

Kris was torn between turning around or continuing on his way. It would take twice as long to get home, since there was no place for him to turn around, but he also did not want to be any sort of nuisance. 

Kris decided to just go along with his original plan. He would just show up and ring the doorbell. If she did not open the door, he would assume that all was well and head home. If otherwise,..well he would figure out how to comfort her then. Wait, I don't even know how I'm going to help her! What am I doing? What will I even do if she lets me in? 

Kris was silently freaking out. He didn't know the first thing about comforting a girl, not to mention a crying girl who was extremely pretty in the middle of the night. Why was I so rash? Why did I sound so confident? Kris didn't know, but he felt like punching the him from ten minutes ago for speaking before thinking.

~~~~~~~~~~

The smell of his alcoholic breath stung the back of as he stood before her. The man was dressed in a shabby suit and his hair was a mess. His tie was skewed to the side as was his gaze, which roamed over her body.

Seohyun froze under his intruding stares, but managed an attempt to slam the door. The man pushed himself through roughly, and before Seohyun could scream, he had swiftly placed his coarse hand over .

The foul stench from his mouth made her eyes water as she stared, wide-eyed, into the windows to his soul. But she saw nothing of a soul there. They were even more empty than her own.

But recognition dawned upon her as soon as she saw the flicker of something darker. Seohyun was horrified. Mr.Park?