Chapter 3: What's the area of a circle?

The Touch of an Angel

After that single question, it seemed as if Seohyun's defenses crumbled around her.

She couldn't keep up her cold and indifferent masquerade any longer. This stranger had carelessly waltzed into her life..and to do what? In just a matter of months, with as many conversations as she could count on her fingers, he had broken down her careful shield.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Please! Minjee! Don't leave me. Stay. Where are you taking her? She's my sister!"

Seohyun screamed and cried, the hot tears streaking down her reddened cheeks. She watched helplessly as the men pushed away the stretcher. Seohyun could still feel Minjee's warm breath against her ear, as she whispered words of farewell. "Don't cry unnie. Don't cry for me. I was always just a burden to you and your dreams. Maybe now I can find Omma and Appa. Go chase your dreams, I'll be fine." With that Minjee left. 

Seohyun awoke, screaming and crying. Shocked, she looked about her room. Oh, it was just a dream.

Well, not exactly. It was a memory. The wan moonlight streamed in through her window, casting light onto her night stand. There was Minjee's photo, smiling back at her. Seohyun wiped the tears on her face and gently picked up the frame, afraid that it would fall to pieces in her hand.

This night was like many other, and Seohyun knew she wouldn't be falling back asleep anytime soon. She lay back down and stared up at the ceiling. Minjee -ah, you were never a burden. Love knows no burden, and I dearly love you still. Seohyun hugged her blankets, the same one that were once shared by the two of them. Now she was all alone, and the loneliness ate at her core. 

Seohyun picked up her phone and scrolled through the contacts. There weren't many.

After Minjee's death, she hadn't been out much. Not that she had gone out much before. Seohyun was always quiet, so making friends was hard for her. Minjee was her closest friend. Seohyun had lived for Minjee, even choosing to go to a university near home in order to take care of Minjee.

But all was in vain. No matter how much love and affection Seohyun poured into her sister, she constantly got worse. Leukemia was frightening. Seohyun witnessed her healthy and beautiful sister become a hollow shell of what she was before. This change crushed Minjee, and in the end, she had given up fighting.  

Seohyun accidently pressed the call button in the midst of her thoughts. The phone rang and she quickly checked who she had called. It was none other than Kris. She panicked but before she could end the call, the phone stopped ringing.

"Hello?" The deep drowsy voice had a hint of annoyance. She couldn't blame him, it was 3 in the morning.

Seohyun gulped. "Hey, its Seohyun."

~~~~~~~~~~
Kris rolled to his side and gripped harder onto his pillow. Suddenly his phone screen lit up, flashing in his face. He squinted and sighed as he heard the continuous vibrations. Who could be calling at this time of day? Better not be Luhan with another one of his girl problems.

Kris grabbed his phone. "Hello?" His voice was a lazy drawl, and he hoped he didn't sound too disinterested. The person on the other line hesitated for a second.

"Hey, its Seohyun" came the gentle reply. His eyes widened, and he was instantly awake. 

Why was she calling at this time? Last time he checked, they weren't at this stage in their friendship yet.

"Oh! Hey. What's up? You know it is 3 in the morning right?" Kris didn't mean to sound rude, but he was tired.  

"I know..it was an accident. But...can you stay on the phone with me for a bit?" He heard the sorrow and hesitation in her voice. Kris couldn't help but agree, his gentleman nature taking over.

There was a brief silence on the line. Kris cleared his throat. "So...what's the area of a circle?" He took a breath, waiting for her answer.

"Hmm..pi r squared?"

"No they're not! They're circle!" 

~~~~~~~~~~
"No they're not! They're circle!" Seohyun held back a laugh at his lame joke.

"That was...new." She giggled at his silliness and continued to silently listen as he threw randomly lame jokes at her. She answered when asked to and was welcomed with a ridiculous comeback. It had been two hours before she stifled a yawn and realized they had been on the phone for so long.

She was about to speak up when his laughter rang though the phone and into the quiet night. The sound brought her comfort that wrapped around her like the warmest fleece. "Thank you," she unconsciously muttered, and there was a pause on the other side.

"No problem Seo. I'll be here." Seo...she liked the sound of that.