Sweet Dream or a Beautiful Nightmare

When I Can't Sing

 

“You don’t have to make this decision at this moment. I actually want you to prepare a performance for some of the staff. But that isn’t until two months before you go on tour with 2NE1. Speaking of the tour, you will have to attend the meeting tomorrow morning to go over the set list and such. Before all of that, I need you to sign a contract. This contract states that you are officially a member of 2NE1’s Global Tour staff.” 

He pulled out a long piece of paper. At the top it said 2NE1 Global Tour Contract and had the 2NE1 logo/YG Entertainment next to it. At the bottom, there is an X and a long line that waits for my signature. Before I sign it, I scan through it, say a prayer in my head, take a deep breath and sign my name, Arianna Canosa. I look up at YG and we smile at each other.

“Well Miss Canosa, welcome to the YG family and I look forward to your work here at YG Entertainment.”

Wow, its official! My body wants to jump for joy and go nuts but I remind myself to stay professional..“2NE1 just left so you will get the chance to meet them tomorrow. I will call up someone to give you a tour of the building.” he went to his desk and made a phone call. While he was taking, I went to the shelves to admire his collection. They all looked so funky but awesome at the same time. Kinda like bigbang…  ”Miss Canosa, this is Park Jihyon. He is your personal tutor and will work with you on your Korean.” a tall chunky Korean man stood beside him and greeted me with a bow and smile. I bow back at him and shake his hand with a firm grip. “Shall we look around your new school/home/work place?” Jihyon Oppa asked. From now on I have to address everyone like a Korean speaker. I learned a little Korean back home by watching Korean dramas, listening to kpop and studying online but I understand Spanish and Tagalog more than that. By watching tons of Family Outing, my hangul improved. My pronunciation is what gave me an advantage in auditions for YG. “Yes we shall! Thank you again for this opportunity and I will NOT disappoint you sir! Please take care of me and I look forward to working hard with you.” I say respectively and confidently while doing a perfect polite 90 degree bow that I’ve been practicing for months. 

We stepped out of his office and went down to the second floor since I’ve already seen the lobby. As we walk down the hallways, there are posters of all the YG artists such as BigBang, 2NE1, Psy, Gummy, Seven, Epik High, 1TYM, Jinusean and many more. One day I will have my picture on that wall. Its just gonna take a lot of hardwork, determination, time and energy but I am confident that I will make it one day. “This is going to be your classroom where we will study hard together. Every day you will come here first thing in the morning. Break and lunch times will be decided based on the amount of work you have accomplished between breaks. Understand?” he askes with a firm tone. “Neh!” I reply. Down the hall is the recording room where the producers practically live in. As we are walking towards the recording room, I see mini BigBang statues from their latest album that released a few weeks ago. Each statue replicates each of their styles perfectly. I giggle at each one cuz of how well it captured the essence of each member. The GD one should have a removable hair piece for each of his hairstyles. “Omo! These are sooo cuuuute!” “I know! But the real life ones are even cuter. Especially me!” I turn around and see Seungri walking down the hallway behind us. “Arianna-ah this is Seungri but I’m sure you know that already.” Yes I met him and the rest of BigBang at the dorm earlier.” “Good because if you do decide to become a solo artist, you will be working with them a lot.” “YG is going to make you a solo artist?!” “He wants to but I’m not sure yet… I’m barely getting used to living here and such. It’s a hard decision and I’m not sure if I’ll be ready.” I say but he just gives me weird look like I’m crazy. “Well if that is how you feel, I suggest you follow your heart and do what makes you happy.” he said with a comforting smile. BEEP!* Jihyon Oppa excused himself to take a phone call while me and Seungri were talking about trainee life and what to expect. “So it took Jiyong Oppa and Youngbae Oppa that long to debut?!” I ask before getting interrupted by Jihyon Oppa. “I’m sorry Arianna-ah, something came up and I have to leave. So we will have to continue this tomorrow do you have a ride back? I can call you a cab…” “We can take you home!” Seungri offered. “Seungri-ah, take care of her. I have to go now. Tomorrow meet me in the study room at 9 in the morning okay?” Jihyon Oppa said with a serious tone before leaving me an Seungri in the hallway. 

“The boys are in the recording room and I need to do my part. You are welcome to hang out with us there.” “Coolio, let’s go!” before we entered the room, he stopped in front of the glass frosted door that said Recording Room. “Jiyong Hyung is very serious and strict when we record so don’t be scared. It’s just how he works.” he whispered scared that someone, meaning Jiyong, would hear. We quietly entered and sat on the long sofa beside Taeyang Oppa who was sleeping. TOP was recording his rap inside the recording booth while GD and Teddy were working their magic at the desk in front of me. Once TOP came out, I greeted everyone except Daesung who was somewhere else. I wonder where he is…. “Hyung, this is Arianna, she is a new trainee and backup singer for 2NE1’s tour next year.” GD introduced me. I bowed at my new Sunbae and say “Annyonghasaeyo!” “Nice to meet you.” Teddy said with a smile then went back to writing. I’m guessing it’s 2NE1’s new song because in certain parts of the paragraph, he wrote names which designated each part for each singer. “YG is also going to make her a solo artist.” Seungri mentioned. I quickly turned my head to him and gave him a dirty glare.  ”Really?!” they all exclaimed waking up Taeyang Oppa. “It’s not for sure yet. I still don’t know if I will.” “Ohh, Don’t worry Arianna-ah we will take good care of you here and whatever you decide, we will support you.” the almighty Kwon leadah assured me. “Arianna Fighting!” Everyone exclaimed. I couldn’t help but smile. They really are sweet guys who are passionate at what they do. I wish everyone could see how genuine they are. Next up in the booth was GD. I have no idea what the heck they were saying or singing but it was beautiful. The beat of the song was very upbeat   and after listening to it ten billion times repeatedly, I still loved hearing it. It made me wanna dance! Daesung walked into studio with his hair pulled up in a high mini ponytail. I tried my best not to laugh but it was too funny and waaaay too cute. “Nice hair Dae-Oppa!” I said to him as he picked up his book. He just smiled and it was so infectious that I couldn’t stop smiling. After a while, I realized that I’ve been smiling at him for a little too long so I looked down at the floor so no one would see how cheesy it was. 

“Arianna-ah if you want I can give you a tour of the building if you want.” TOP Oppa offered with eyes that were way too intense for me to handle. My heart started beating faster and my palms got hella sweaty. “Uhh.. Su- sure O- O- Oppa." My legs were turning into jelly and moving was starting to get more and more difficult. He offered his hand for help. So I wiped the sweat of my hands on my pants and grabbed his hand for support. He was so gentle yet firm. This man was way too beautiful to be real… “Katsamnida…” I say quietly. “You’re welcome.” he said with his deep luscious voice in perfect English. KABOOM! I think my ovaries just exploded… With weak legs I follow TOP Oppa around the building. The first stop was the practice room. I already knew how it looked like from videos on YouTube of their practices and 2NE1 TV. By watching 2NE1 TV, I got to see how it was to be a Kpop star and everything they deal with. I used to think it was super cool but it’s insane how they can do so much in one day and only get like 3 hours of sleep. Is the fame and everything worth it? “This is where everyone practices, each artist have two hours but since the YG Family Concert, everyone will be practicing together.” It was sooo much more awesome than I’ve imagined. So this is where everyone dances, sweats and sings their hearts out. “Se7en Hyung is here practicing his solo stage right now. Would you like to meet him?” I could see in his eyes that he really wanted to. How could I say no to those adorable eyes that can be intense then baby like. “Of course!” I say. TOP went to get him and when he came back, they were skipping while holding hands. These two really have such a cute bromance. “Annyonghasaeyo!” I say to Se7en Oppa and bow politely. He replied with a bow and a loud hello. “Hyung, this is Arianna. She is a new trainee and back up singer for 2NE1’s tour next year. She also might become a solo artist if she decides to.” “Wow. Welcome to the family Arianna-ah. Are you going to be in the YG Family concert also?” “I don’t think so… Although I would love to!” “Hmm.. That could be arranged..” “re- really?! Bu-” “Okay guys let’s start the first song!” the choreographer announced before I could get a sentence out. “Well I gotta get to work. Nice to meet you Arianna-ah.” Before he left, he whispered something into TOP’s ear that left a big smile on both of their faces. Hmm… I wonder what these two are thinking. “Shall we visit the cafeteria?”

I followed him upstairs to the cafeteria. “Here is where everyone eats and sometimes have meetings. Breakfast is served from 7- 9, Lunch is served from 12-3 and dinner is from 7pm to 11pm but sometimes they have dessert like ice cream and stuff. You can always find me here when they serve ice cream.” I giggled at how bright his face lit up when he mentioned ice cream. “Sweeeet!” we walked down the hall and into a room that had a long table, water wall and different colored chairs. There was a projector that projected the YG logo onto the water wall. “whoa! That’s hella siick!” I say admiring the water wall. “Arianna-ah, what does “hella” mean?” he asked curiously. “oh. It’s a bay area term that means “a lot, very or many.” he still had a confused look for a while and just nodded. “I’ve never heard someone say that. Is there any other slang that you use?” “Well there is a phrase, Yadadamean, which is the same as, You know what I mean. There’s also the word hyphy which is a type of music that originated from Oakland/San Francisco.” “Ohhh.” He seemed to be very interested and continually asked about California and the United States. At the end of the tour, we went back to the recording room. I plopped my tired body on to the couch and observed the boys very carefully. Jiyong Oppa was making Seungri Oppa sing a line over and over again. 

Jiyong’s POV
“Again!” I demand through the speaker. For some reason, it’s just not sounding right. Some call me a perfectionist but I just want to produce music that is unforgettable. “Ani. Try this.” Ooooh* ooooh* ooooh* oo-” there it is! “who sang that?” I say turning around on my chair as fast as I could. “umm I did. Sorry I just thought it’d sound nice.” she mumbled. “No. Don’t be sorry. It sounded great! Can you sing it again?” I asked. Ooooh* beautiful “Seungri-ah do what she did.” ooooh* “Okay. That was great. You can come out now.” Seungri came out after spending a good hour of recording in the booth. Arianna gave him a high-five and a bottle of water. I looked at the clock and realized that we have finished a couple hours less than we usually do. Everyone seemed to be a good mood the whole time which is hard to believe considering how late it is and the amount of sleep we all got. I guess everyone has the happy virus. 

“Alright everyone, we are done for today.” I say. Everyone slowly moved out from the room to the parking lot where our van was. “Guys, next week is our two week vacation before we start stage rehearsing for the YG Family Concert. What is everyone planning on doing?” I ask “I am going home to visit my family.” Daesung said. “I wanna go to LA and go shopping.” YoungBae exclaimed excitedly. “Hmm.. I might want to visit the US too.” TOP hyung said. “Really? Where though?” Daesung asked. “I want to see San Francisco. What Arianna says about it makes me want to go.” Arianna was sleeping between Seungri and Daesung. Seungri made her lean on his side and Daesung seemed bothered by this. Typical maknae. “Hmm.. That’s seems cool. I’ve never been there before.” Seungri said quietly not wanting to wake her up. She looks adorable when she’s sleeping… The way her long black hair flows like a river around her face and down her shoulders. Her lips pout out like she’s about to give someone a kiss. Even when sleeping, she has a little smile on her face… “What are you going to do?” YoungBae asked. “Ji. Ji!” he said trying to get my attention but I was too caught up by her. I wanted to be the one that she leaned on when she’s tired and the one she dreams of… How can this be? I just met her today! Ugh snap out of it!! “Oh sorry I spaced out a little.” I lied. “What are you going to do during vacay?” YoungBae asked. “Probbly just stay at the dorm and write songs.” “That’s not how you spend your time off. Why don’t you come with us to California?!” TOP hyung suggested. “I’ll see.” I say before pulling my bernie over my eyes and drift off to sleep. 

“Oppa. Ji-Oppa. Jiyong Oppa!” Arianna smiled brightly at me and gave me a kiss on the cheek. She grabbed my hand and led me to a blanket where she had laid out a picnic. She took my hand in hers and stared at me with her big brown eyes. “Oppa, I’m so happy we got to spend time together today. I have something for you.” She pulled out a little bag and took out a cigarette. “I know I’ve told you not to smoke so much and that it’s really bad for you but here.” She placed it in my hand but there was something weird about it. It looks hand rolled and bigger than a normal cigarette. She put it in my mouth and lit it for me. Out of politeness, I take a hit. It tastes different and is less harsh. “What is this yeopo?” I ask looking at it closer. “It’s a joint. You know, with weed?” she says innocently. “Wait, Weed?!” I take it out of my mouth and throw it on the ground and put it out. “Yeah. I thought you’d like it better than cigarettes.” her smile turned into a crazy person’s smirk. All of sudden I’m surrounded by paparazzi taking pictures of me. The flashing lights from their cameras become to overwhelming for me to handle. “Ji! GD! Jiyong! Wake up!” I open my eyes and see everyone walking away from the van towards the building. “Bad dream?” YoungBae asked. “Yeah. But I’m glad it’s just a dream.” I say and take a deepI breath. Its okay, it’s just a dream. We all walk Arianna to her dorm. “Goodnight and sweetdreams boys. I’ll see you all tomorrow.” She gave each of us a warm hug and waved a peace sign goodbye. What a day…


I got super tired of having to color code the dialog so I give up on it. Later I might fix it. but for now, ima leave it. I just wanted to update this before I go to sleep. so Ima sleep. Happy reading!