Eyes Like Fire

Take Care of my Girlfriend

“Happy birthday, Unni!” exclaimed KaHee and JulSu in unison, bursting into RaeIn’s bedroom fully equipped with a giant birthday cake and a couple balloons.

RaeIn sat up in her bed and rubbed her eyes, a bit disoriented, but grinning widely. “Aw, thanks you guys!” She got up to hug the members and immediately grabbed for the cake.

“Wait! We have to save this for later,” KaHee said, raising the cake above her head and out of reach from the excited birthday girl.

“Why?” RaeIn whined. “It looks so yummy!”

“We have to get ready now. We’re guest-starring on Bakery’s reality show, ‘Picnic with Bakery.’” JulSu reminded her leader. Their fellow rookie group was filming at an amusement park that day. Since the two groups were close, the script writers decided that MAKIKO should cameo on that day’s episode.

“Besides, this is for your party later!” KaHee added, before skipping out the door with the cake.

“Yah~ Be careful!” JulSu yelled, running after the energetic maknae.

“Right,” RaeIn smiled. “My party is today. I can’t wait.”

——-

“Hi-yeom~” KiKwang yelled as he entered the door, accompanied by HyunSeung and DongWoon. They were carrying a couple of bags filled with chips, drinks and the like. “Hi, guys! We’re glad you could make!” KaHee said, going straight to KiKwang for a hug.

“YoSeob should be coming later with the pizzas,” HyunSeung said, setting one of the bags down on the table.

“I’m here, I’m here!” a voice called from outside the door, as if on cue. YoSeob walked in with a few boxes of pizza, followed by SoHyun who carried a bag of breadsticks, followed by JiHyun who carried a bottle of Pepsi, followed by GaYoon, JiYoon and HyunAh who carried presents. JulSu immediately rushed over to clear a nearby table so YoSeob could place the pizzas there.

“Thanks so much for helping out with the party, guys!” RaeIn said enthusiastically, as she placed a pile of napkins and plates on the table.

“No problem! We’re happy to help! And we love parties!” JiHyun said, giving RaeIn a birthday hug.

“Yeah, we had so much fun at JulSu’s too! I have a feeling today’s going to be great,” JiYoon chipped in.

“Where should we put the presents?” GaYoon asked, looking around.

“Over there is fine, Unni,” RaeIn replied, pointing at an empty space next to the TV before getting attacked with more birthday hugs from HyunAh, HyunSeung & KiKwang.

“So,” GaYoon said coyly, nudging RaeIn with her shoulder. “You got any idea of what DooJoon-oppa’s got planned for today?” She winked at her dongsaeng playfully.

“N-no, I don’t,” RaeIn said, looking down blushing. “I really don’t think he has anything special planned…”

“RaeIn-ah, you forget about your epic 100 days celebration. You were surprised, right?” YoSeob said grinning and just as coy as his 4Minute vocalist counterpart. Just then the doorbell rang, and RaeIn quickly ran to answer it. You know, just in case it was DooJoon.

“Happy birthday, RaeIn-ah!” On the other side of the door was Big Bang’s TOP, accompanied by his girlfriend, actress SoNi. TOP was invited to the small birthday gathering because of his relation with HyunSeung. SoNi was also invited to the small gathering because she coincidentally went to the same school as RaeIn, so they were friends as well.

“I’m glad you guys could make it! I thought you two would be busy filming for your drama,” RaeIn said, excitedly hugging the two guests.

“We actually can’t stay for too long because of filming,” SoNi replied apologetically, handing RaeIn her birthday present. “But we wanted to at least stop by before heading to the set.”

“Yeah, we’re sorry we couldn’t make it to your birthday party, So-1!” TOP said, handing another present to his friend.

“Don’t worry about it,” HyunSeung replied, giving TOP & SoNi hugs as well. He chuckled before adding, “I didn’t even know I was going to have a birthday party.”

“Well, we have to go now. We hope you guys have fun, though!”

“Aw, you won’t at least stay for the cake?”

“Unfortunately, we can’t today. But you better save us a slice!” SoNi said, waving at everyone before she and TOP left. A couple minutes after they left, the doorbell rang again.

“Do you think that’s SoNi and TOP again?” HyunSeung asked RaeIn. RaeIn shrugged, heading for the door again.

“Or maybe it’s DooJoon-hyung,” DongWoon suggested excitedly.

“I guess we’ll find out,” RaeIn laughed, redirecting her attention towards the door as she pulled it open. After seeing who was on the other side, RaeIn froze.

“Oh! JunHyung-hyung! You’re here!” DongWoon said voicing the surprise that everyone else couldn’t. KaHee and KiKwang quickly looked at the door for confirmation. JulSu, who had already been looking at the door, dropped the cup of Pepsi she had just poured herself. YoSeob, who was the nearest to her, quickly grabbed a couple napkins to help clean up the mess.

“JunHyung-oppa, I didn’t know you would be able to come!” RaeIn said, shaking her head to regain awareness of her surroundings. “I mean, I’m really glad you could come!” She hoped that the last statement would successfully veil her confusion.

“I said I would come, right?” JunHyung said, casually patting her head before entering the dorm. He walked past her into the living room to greet everyone else. But, if RaeIn didn’t know any better, she would have thought that JunHyung smiled at her as he passed her.

——-

When she was walking to the kitchen to grab some more napkins, RaeIn felt someone following behind her. She looked back to find a girl she didn’t know.

“Oh,” she said surprised. “Hello, there.”

“Hi,” the girl replied happily. She was holding what seemed to be a teddy bear, but what RaeIn thought looked more like a monkey.

“Do I… know you?” RaeIn asked confused, but at the same time not wanting to sound rude.

“I came here with SaRang,” the girl replied.

“I see. Oh, that’s right. I think I’ve seen a picture of you two together. I’m RaeIn.”

“I’m HyoYeon.”

“Nice to meet you,” RaeIn said. Awkward pause. “All right, well I better bring these… out there…” RaeIn quickly scurried out of the kitchen, glad to be rid of the awkward atmosphere in the kitchen. After laying down the new pile of napkins on top of the dwindling one, she headed towards the TV, where everyone was currently watching a movie. However, she stopped to turn around when she felt someone’s presence behind her again. HyoYeon stood behind her, smiling with her bear in hand, waving its paw at RaeIn.

“Hi,” RaeIn greeted again, laughing awkwardly, waving back at the bear. She took her seat next to KaHee and JulSu on the couch.

“That girl is following me,” she whispered to them.

“Yeah, I noticed that,” JulSu replied, still watching the movie.

“I’m just glad she’s not following me,” KaHee added. “I know her. She’s annoying.”

“Hmm,” RaeIn hummed pensively, glimpsing at the girl, before turning her attention to the movie. After the movie finished (4Minute had to leave half-way through the movie), RaeIn got up because she needed to use the bathroom (the party guests had been drinking quite a bit). Again, she could feel a presence behind her. And again, she turned around to find HyoYeon following her.

“Why are you following me? I don’t even know you!” RaeIn exclaimed, freaking out.

“I, uh… wanted to talk to KiKwang,” HyoYeon (but I really mean the stalker) replied, shyly.

“That… doesn’t even make sense. Why are you following me then? KiKwang’s right over there.” RaeIn snapped, before running into the bathroom, since she couldn’t hold it any longer.

“Hi, Oppa,” HyoYeon said after walking up to KiKwang, waving the arm of her monkey bear as she spoke.

“Um, hi,” KiKwang replied, confused.

“I’m a big fan. I love you so much!”

“Excuse me?” KaHee exclaimed, standing up and slamming her hands on the table, almost knocking down their drinks. She had been sitting in front of KiKwang, and she was on her third beer (but who knows how much the maknae drank before that). Not to mention, now she was very unhappy to see this girl hitting on KiKwang right in front of her face.

“I love it when you say, ‘hi-yeom’ and ‘bye-yeom’ and ‘good mooorning!’” the stalker girl continued.

“Oh, thank you,” KiKwang said, glancing at KaHee from the corner of his eye. He nervously sipped on his beer.

“I even named my bear ‘KiKwang,’” HyoYeon continued, raising the monkey bear into view.

“Excuse me,” KaHee said again, this time tapping HyoYeon on the shoulder. HyoYeon looked at her, smiling initially, though the smile completely disappeared as soon as she saw the intense rage in KaHee’s eyes. KaHee pulled on the girl’s arm violently as she yelled, “HyoYeon, I thought you knew KiKwang was mine?” She continued to drag the girl until they reached the front door.

“But I’m a guest… SaRang brought me!” HyoYeon complained, struggling against the strong maknae.

“You don’t even know RaeIn-unni! Get out of here. Bye-yeom!” The maknae pushed the stalker out the door, letting the room erupt into drunken applause.

“Did you really bring her with you, Unni?” JulSu asked SaRang.

“Well, I told her about the party, and that it was at your dorm. But I didn’t actually bring her,” SaRang explained.

Meanwhile, KaHee took her seat in front of KiKwang again. She was still smug about her win.

“That… was a little mean,” KiKwang confessed.

“So? She was annoying me. And JulSu, and RaeIn-unni!”

“She’s still my fan…” KiKwang continued. Bad move.

“What?” KaHee said, erupting. “So you’re going to defend her over me?”

“That’s not what I meant,” KiKwang started, trying to calm down KaHee. However, she downed the rest of her beer and walked away towards SaRang and JiYong, who were once again seated in front of the computer playing StarCraft. KiKwang sighed, and got up to hunt down some soju. “JunHyung-hyung, where are you? I know you’re drinking! I need soju!”

“I’ve got the soju,” DongWoon yelled. He sat in a group with HyunSeung, JulSu, and YoSeob. And I guess, now Kikwang, as he quickly joined the soju-drinkers in their circle.

“Ah, relief,” RaeIn said, exiting the bathroom, referring to her bladder. She did not like to drink much—she usually stuck to a couple shots max—but her friends insisted since it was her birthday. Looking around she took a look at her guests. She walked over to the soju circle. “Hey guys, did DooJoon arrive yet?”

“Nope,” JulSu said slurring. This was her first time drinking, and she was a super lightweight.

“Ah, I see. Thanks…” RaeIn replied. “HyunSeung-oppa, make sure you take care of her, okay? She’s not used to drinking,” she whispered to the most sober person in the group. HyunSeung nodded, pulling away a drunken DongWoon, who was trying to snuggle up to the even drunker JulSu. Just then, the door bell rang.

“Hyuuung,” DongWoon yelled, still struggling against HyunSeung. “DooJoon-hyung, are you here yet?”

RaeIn shook her head, laughing, as she left to the front door. She opened it to reveal Jang JerAh and Son HaeRi.

“Happy birthday, RaeIn!” the two greeted in unison. The two were comedians who knew the girls from pre-debut. JerAh was KaHee’s cousin. HaeRi and DongWoon had no relation, from what they knew.

“We brought more soju,” HaeRi said, holding up a bag.

“Thank you, guys!” RaeIn said, hugging her two new guests. They entered the room and formed another soju group with the managers, KaHee and JunHyung. RaeIn looked around outside before shutting the door. “I wonder if I should call him,” she thought. She checked the room clock. “It’s already 8:30PM…”

She was worried now, but she did not want to worry her party guests as well. She got her phone and dialed DooJoon’s number. No answer.

“Did Oppa answer his phone?” JulSu called out.

“No, it went to his voicemail,” RaeIn replied, laughing nervously. “I’ll try again, though.”

“Does anyone know his schedule?” HyunSeung asked, looking around at s.

“Not that I can remember,” YoSeob said, placing a finger on his chin pensively. He was on the floor, lying down on his stomach now.

“Ah, it’s fine. You guys just keep drinking and having fun, okay?” RaeIn said smiling, hanging up her phone after reaching DooJoon’s voicemail again. “I’ll be outside on the terrace.”

“Do you want me to go with you?” JulSu asked, trying to get up, but stumbling over again. DongWoon and HyunSeung quickly jumped to help, the latter being a bit more successful than the former.

“No, don’t worry about it. I just need some fresh air,” RaeIn said smiling, as she stepped out the glass sliding door into the balcony, phone in one hand and an unopened bottle of soju in the other. JunHyung took a sip of his beer as he curiously watched her leave.

“Ooh, I saw that! She had soju!” JerAh called out. The group had merged now, though JulSu was left behind, sprawled across the floor, passed out. DongWoon was worriedly fanning her with a random magazine. KiKwang was as well, still feeling too awkward to be in the same group as KaHee. They had not spoken with each other since their fight.

“Oh, did she? That’s odd,” SaRang mused.

“Why is that?” JunHyung asked.

“RaeIn usually doesn’t like to drink too much,” she replied.

“It’s her birthday, let her drink,” JiYong replied to his fellow manager before taking a shot of soju with JerAh and HaeRi.

“She’s all by herself…” SaRang said.

“But it’s all good!” JiYong interrupted, pouring SaRang some soju. “She said she just needed some air.”

“I guess you’re right…” SaRang replied, still a bit unconvinced.

JunHyung looked outside the glass door and watched as RaeIn held her phone against her ear. After a few seconds, he’d see her hang up. Wait a few more seconds, and he’d see her redial and replace the phone next to her ear. He continued to watch her, and for some reason he felt a part of him wanting to go out for some fresh air as well. That is until KaHee brought him back to reality by pouring him a shot.

“Oppa, take a shot with me,” KaHee giggled happily. He took one last look outside – he saw RaeIn hang up, but this time instead of redialing, she poured herself a shot and took it – before he nodded yes to KaHee.

“JunHyung-oppa,” KaHee slurred. “KiKwang-oppa is making me mad.”

“Oh,” JunHyung said startled. “Why is he making you mad?”

“He’s always around other girls. Other girls are always around him. I don’t like it. No, they’re wrong. I want him. He’s mine!” the troublesome maknae whined, throwing a few punches at JunHyung’s shoulder.

“Yeah,” JunHyung said, semi-trying to shield himself. “You’re right. He’s yours.”

“But Oppa,” KaHee continued with sad down-cast eyes, ceasing her attacks now. “I don’t think he wants me, too.”

“Er, what are you talking about?” JunHyung asked nervously, as KaHee began to cling onto his arm.

“He hasn’t even asked me to be his girlfriend yet. I don’t think he likes me that much.”

“No, he likes you a lot!” JunHyung, who was very unsure of what to do, looked around at the other members for help. But everyone else was too drunk to pay attention to anything. His eyes were somehow drawn back to the glass door leading to the balcony, and he saw that RaeIn was now starting to pace the balcony, stumbling a bit as she did.

“I just… What I want is… I really want to hold his hand,” KaHee giggled, acting out her desires by interlacing her fingers with JunHyung’s.

“O-oh, I see,” JunHyung stuttered nervously.

“And… and, you know what else, Oppa? You know what I really, really, really want to do? I really, really, really want to kiss him!” KaHee leaned her face towards JunHyung’s, lips starting to pucker.
“Uh…” JunHyung tried pulling away from the drunken girl, but it was too late. No, KaHee didn’t kiss JunHyung, but yes, KiKwang did notice that something was happening.

“Hey… what’s going on here?” KiKwang’s voice was calm at first, but the hurt was still apparent. However his drunken state was made obvious as he slurred with each saliva-filled syllable. “Why are you all over my girl, Hyunggg?! KaHee, what are you doing?! Bye-yeom!” KiKwang turned around to leave, however he stumbled over and landed on the ground. He gave up trying to make a dramatic exit and instead just sat up with his legs and arms crossed.

“Why are you angry?” KaHee exclaimed, shoving JunHyung aside as she stood up. She stormed over to where KiKwang was sitting on the floor.

“I’m not angry!”

“Yeah, you are! You’re maaad!” SaRang pitched in laughing, before chugging the rest of her beer and falling over onto YoSeob and JiYong.

“No, I’m not!” KiKwang insisted.

“Then what’s wrong?” The HeeKwang couple was shouting at each other now.

“I don’t like seeing you with JunHyung like this! I don’t want you to be like that!”

“You can’t tell me what to do! You’re not my boyfriend!”

KiKwang was silent for a bit at this confession. “Then what am I?” he asked, voice getting softer. “How do you see me?”

“You probably don’t even like me! Youuuu haven’t even asked me to be your girlfriend!” KaHee collapsed onto her knees, now sitting on the floor as well.

“Don’t be silly, girl! Of course I like you.”
“Hah!” KaHee said, pointing at KiKwang with one arm. “Prove it!”

“If I didn’t like you, I wouldn’t be so jealous of JunHyung-hyung!”

“You were… jealous?” KaHee’s emotions took a 180 degree turn, and suddenly she was tearing.

“Yes, I’m jealous!” This time KiKwang stood up, raising his voice again. “I don’t want to see you with any other guys! Especially JunHyung – he’s a lady charmer~”

JunHyung groaned, slapping his palm to his face while still sitting cross-legged on the floor in the soju circle. “Why are you bringing me into this?” he muttered. Beside him, YoSeob snickered.

“Oppa~” KaHee sniffed. “I only see you, oppa! But I don’t want to see you with other girls either!” She grabbed ahold of his arm, crying now.

“And I only see you!” KiKwang sat himself down next to KaHee. “I’m the guy for you Jang KaHee-hee-hee!” The last part of KaHee’s name turned into laughter as a drunken JerAh crawled over and started tickling KiKwang for whatever reason.

“Aw, Oppa!” KaHee said, hugging KiKwang now. “I’m sorry I got mad at you!”

“I’m sorry, too~” KiKwang said, hugging her back. In the background, JunHyung sighed, glad that the drama was over. KiKwang looked at the wall clock and noticed the time. “Oh, shoot, it’s already 9:30PM! I’ve got to get to the High Kick cast party!”

“Oppa, you’re leaving?” KaHee said, looking up at him with puppy dog eyes, refusing to let go.

“Do you want to come with me?” KiKwang asked. She nodded. He smiled at her response.

“Do you need a ride? You’re kind of…” HyunSeung offered, mockingly waving his arms around to indicate drunkenness — he would make a very good Jack Sparrow.

“Sure! Thanks, Hyung!” KiKwang said, with smiling eyes.

“I’ll go with you!” JiYong suddenly shouted. He jumped up, startling his neighbors.

“Okay, JiYong-hyung and I will drop you guys off, then,” HyunSeung said getting up. And so after KaHee and KiKwang freshened up and gathered their belongings, the four exited the dorm. JunHyung looked around the room: JulSu was still passed out on the floor. DongWoon was still fanning her, but now SaRang was with them. SaRang had a worried expression on her face and she kept saying, “JulSu! Wake-up! I love you!” All that was left in the soju circle with JunHyung was JerAh, HaeRi, and YoSeob.

“Hey, I think I’m going to get some fresh air,” JunHyung mumbled as he got up. YoSeob was the only one who noticed JunHyung awkwardly walk toward the balcony door. YoSeob felt that something was a bit off as he continued to watch JunHyung slide the door open and closed, then taking his seat in front of RaeIn, who looked like she was passed out on the table outside.

“YoSeob, drink more!” HaeRi said pouring soju into the three glasses left in the group.

“All right!” YoSeob complied laughing, snapping out of his thoughts and forgetting all about JunHyung and RaeIn outside.

——-

“All right, we’re here!” KiKwang yelled excitedly unbuckling himself from the seat.

“Yay, yay, yay!” KaHee yelled with equal excitement. The two jumped out of the car and waved to HyunSeung and JiYong.

“Bye, guys! Have fun! Call us when you want to get picked up!” HyunSeung called from the driver’s seat. JiYong nodded his head up and down in agreement.

“Bye-yeom!” KiKwang yelled back as KaHee took his arm. The two then skipped off to the party.

“Wooow, there’s so many people here!” KaHee said, awestruck. Multiple cast members approached them to greet KiKwang before asking about his guest. “Actually, I’m going to go get a snack!” KaHee whispered to KiKwang before finally letting go of his arm to grab some pretzels.

“Oh, KiKwang, you’re finally here! What took you so long?” SeKyung said as she sauntered towards him.

“Oh hi, SeKyung! I actually just came from another party,” KiKwang answered.

“Oh, really?” SeKyung replied, keeping the small talk going.

KaHee happily bit into an oreo, but her mood drastically changed again as she saw KiKwang conversing with SeKyung. Her eyes narrowed and she walked over to them, making sure to slip her arm around KiKwang’s again.

“Hello, KaHee-ssi! I haven’t see you in a while,” SeKyung said, tilting her head to the side as she smiled.

“Hello, SeKyung-ssi,” KaHee said in a not-so-friendly manner. SeKyung responded with an awkward giggle.

“Well, I’ll leave you two alone now. I have to get back to my date!” SeKyung waved a little before leaving the two together.

“Yes, you do that,” KaHee muttered.

“I wonder who she brought as her date,” KiKwang thought out loud, trying to think of a new subject to distract KaHee.

“Yeah, I wonder,” KaHee said, continuing to follow SeKyung with her eyes until she reached her date. Finally, SeKyung reached her destination. KiKwang felt KaHee’s grip on him grow tense. Surprised, he first looked at KaHee’s arm around his, then he looked to her eyes that were wide with shock, and finally he followed KaHee’s gaze – his eyes grew wide as well.

“Hey, isn’t that—” KiKwang started.

“—Oh my gosh, you’ve got to be kidding me,” KaHee interrupted, her eyes like fire.