Party Time (Part 3)

Take Care of my Girlfriend

“I have to work hard,” KiKwang thought. “Naege neomu neomu neomu neomu jalhae jalhae jalhae~”

“I have to work hard on this performance and win her back!”

——-

“Heureuneun nunmureul dakgo, dashi ddo nunmureul dakgo, yeah~”

Everyone started clapping at the end of their performance. JunHyung and DooJoon gave their greetings to the audience – a quick “Kamsahamnida” and “Happy Birthday, KaHee!” – KiKwang was too busy scanning the crowd to really pay attention. His search was cut short as DooJoon passed him the microphone; KiKwang was unable to spot KaHee in the crowd.

“Thank you for watching our last minute performance!” KiKwang said into the microphone with his trademark grin, though inside he was crushed. Why couldn’t he find KaHee? Did that mean she didn’t watch him perform at all? Handing the microphone over to MC JiYoon, KiKwang led the trio off stage.

“KiKwang-oppa, that was great!” A girl run up to him and suddenly KiKwang found Suzy standing in front of him. Behind her were the other Miss A members.

“Yeah, great performance, guys!” Min said, this time directed at DooJoon.

“Thanks,” KiKwang replied sheepishly.

“Yah~ Move aside,” said an angry voice. Another girl shoved the Miss A members, making her way through to KiKwang. “Oppa, you were so amazing!”

“K-KaHee-ah?” KiKwang stuttered, as the girl wrapped her arms around his neck. “You were watching?”

“Of course I was!” KaHee gushed. “I almost missed it because I had to use the bathroom, but then I heard HyunAh and JiYoon-unni’s announcement. I had no idea you were going to perform!”

“Yeah, it was kind of a spontaneous thing…”

“What an epic birthday surprise! You’re so awesome, I love you!” KaHee continued spazzing.

“Wait… What did you say?”

Suddenly, KaHee realized what she had said. Wide-eyed she stared back at KiKwang. “I didn’t say anything.”

“You love me?” KiKwang asked, grinning at KaHee who had quickly let go of his neck after her unintentional confession.

“I never said anything!” KaHee insisted, now annoyed.

“That’s such a relief that you said that, and to think I was getting jealous of Lee Joon.”

“Jealous?” KaHee asked, confused. “Why were you jealous?”

“I saw you hugging him! And ChanSung! And SeuLong-hyung too!”

KaHee was quiet for a moment. “…they’re my party guests.”

“I know, I know,” KiKwang said, a little exasperated. KaHee giggled in response.

“That’s cute that you were jealous. Is that why you sang for me?”

“Yeah,” KiKwang admitted. “That and because I…”

“Sum jocha shigi himdeun shigandeul~”

“Oh, the next song is playing! MBLAQ’s ‘Last Luv’ – let’s dance!” KaHee pulled KiKwang’s arm and they began to slow dance. “What were you saying, Oppa?”

“Nothing,” KiKwang said, smiling. “I’ll tell you later. Let’s just dance for now.”

“Okay,” KaHee complied, resting her head on his shoulder.

“Nae nunape tto dareun gijeok, you’re the last love~”

——-

“You’re my last love, neon nae majimak sarang~”

RaeIn watched as everyone around her began to couple up again to dance, for instance KiKwang and KaHee. She was still on the dancefloor, partnerless yet again. “Forever alone,” she laughed bitterly to herself. She looked around again, but this time looking for a way out from her awkward position; however all the dancing couples were closing in on her, leaving no room to escape…

She was unaware, however, that she had been spotted – targeted, in fact – by a couple party guests. DooJoon and JunHyung were over by the refreshments, in need of refreshment after their refreshing performance. DooJoon immediately noticed the opportunity given to him to approach RaeIn and he excused himself from JunHyung as he made his way around the dance floor to try to reach RaeIn. After becoming aware of DooJoon’s motives, JunHyung suddenly felt the need to protect RaeIn from whatever mayhem was on its way (or so he told himself) and he led himself to the dancefloor as well, taking a different route from DooJoon. JunHyung eyed DooJoon as he made his way past the many couples, stepping from side-to-side in time to the music. It was difficult getting to where RaeIn was, way in the middle and up close to the stage; however DooJoon wasn’t making much progress either.

The BEAST members, who ventured towards RaeIn from different angles, were finally in range of their target. JunHyung took one last competitive glance at DooJoon to weigh his chances of “winning” per se. At this moment, he and DooJoon made eye-contact; DooJoon, who had not been aware of this “race” he was in with JunHyung, somehow realized the situation from that one glance. Pasting on his own competitive face, DooJoon took a step towards RaeIn, which JunHyung mirrored. DooJoon took another step, and JunHyung mirrored it again, stubbornly and defiantly. JunHyung noticed that he had the advantage because the HeeKwang couple was slightly blocking DooJoon’s path – yes, an obstacle! JunHyung felt as though he could already taste the sweetness of victory…

That is, before he noticed RaeIn nodding yes and smiling as she accepted the other BEAST member’s invitation to dance.

As he began to dance with RaeIn, YoSeob stuck his tongue out at both DooJoon and JunHyung, who were standing next to each other now, both partnerless and both fuming at their defeat.

“Why were you trying to dance with RaeIn?” DooJoon asked JunHyung as they made their way out of the dance floor, still bitter about his fail.

“I was just… going to ask her… about the cookies,” muttered JunHyung, still annoyed as well.

“I’m surprised no one asked you to dance before I did. The guys are always lined up for you; I thought I lost my chance,” YoSeob joked as he held onto RaeIn.

“Don’t be silly, YoSeob,” RaeIn said, though smiling at his flattery. “That’s not true.”

“It is,” YoSeob insisted.

“Thank you for asking me to dance, though,” RaeIn said. “It was really awkward being stuck by myself in the middle of everyone dancing.”

“Yeah, I’ll bet.” This time YoSeob stuck his tongue out at RaeIn.

“So how are you enjoying the party?”

“Oh, it’s great!” YoSeob exclaimed. “I do have a question though…”

“What’s up?”

“Who was that girl you were talking to earlier?”

“Uh…” RaeIn started. “There were a lot of girls I was talking to earlier.” She laughed.

“The one with TOP!”

“SoNi?”

“No, I’m talking about the other one. Of course, I know SoNi! You know I went through a phase of her movies and dramas!”

RaeIn laughed again. “Ooh, you mean MiKi? She’s SoNi’s twin.” After a beat, RaeIn slyly added, “Why do you ask?”

“No reason,” YoSeob replied nonchalantly. “I just thought she was cute.”

“Okay, okay, I’ll introduce you to her later.”

“Will you really?” YoSeob asked, trying but failing to hide his excitement. “You’re the best, RaeIn-ah.”

“I know, I know,” she grinned jokingly.

“Excuse me, but may I cut in? I feel like I’ve been waiting in line forever,” asked a voice.

YoSeob gave RaeIn an I-told-you-so kind of look before allowing the guest to cut in and scurrying off to busy himself elsewhere.

“I was wondering where you ended up after you left with JunHyung,” NichKhun said, giving RaeIn an angelic smile.

“Just around, talking to guests,” RaeIn replied.

“I see,” NichKhun said with a laugh. “Well, I’m sorry it’s not Miss A but since you wanted to dance earlier, I figured we might as well dance now!”

“Better late than never,” RaeIn added, suddenly feeling awkward. She couldn’t think of anything to talk about. “So… that cake earlier was pretty yummy.”

“Yeah, it was delicious! I want a cake like that on my birthday,” NichKhun exclaimed. With a wink he added, “My birthday is on June 24, so I’ll be expecting presents.”

“Right,” RaeIn replied smiling. “This is so awkward,” she thought. “At least the song is almost over…”

“JunHyung, it’s you again!” NichKhun said breaking RaeIn free from her thoughts. He was smiling brightly at his friend.

“Uh, yeah,” JunHyung said grinning back. He cleared his throat. “WooYoung-hyung is looking for you.”

“HusWife?” NichKhun’s eyes lit up. “Where is he?” JunHyung shrugged and pointed in a random direction. “Thanks! I’ll talk to you later, RaeIn-ah!”

JunHyung turned his attention toward RaeIn and started laughing as he pointed his thumb towards the direction NichKhun was heading to. He then flashed her one of his trademark smirks and said, “Somehow I get the feeling that without me around you need a lot of saving.”

RaeIn rolled her eyes. “It wasn’t really that bad.”

JunHyung raised an eye brow. “Oh really? So did I just send Hyung off for nothing?”

RaeIn stared at him in silence for a while, unsure of whether or not she should hold back her smirk. “You lied.”

“I did not,” JunHyung denied. “I ran into WooYoung earlier and he was looking for Khun-hyung. I merely waited until now to pass along the message.”

“You’re the last love~”

JunHyung and RaeIn looked up to the stage as the outro played.

“I guess the song’s over,” JunHyung said, trying to hide his disappointment since the two did not get to dance.

“Wait! Don’t let go of your partners yet! We’ve got another good song coming,” MC HyunAh announced.

“What time is it? It’s 2AM with ‘Confessions of a Friend!’” MC JiYoon continued.

“Well,” RaeIn started as she and JunHyung resumed eye contact. “Since the MCs said so…” JunHyung in the meanwhile was already offering her his hand, which she accepted.

“Ggwae ohrae dwetsuh, nae mamee jogeumshik~”

And the song started and the two danced, though they remained quiet, not really sure of what to say. It wasn’t an awkward silence though, RaeIn noticed, especially compared to the awkwardness with NichKhun.

“That’s a pretty dress,” JunHyung said eventually, clearing his throat.

“Thanks,” RaeIn said laughing. “Not awkward at all.”

“I’m serious! It looks good on you,” JunHyung continued, laughing now as well.

“You don’t look too bad yourself.”

“Of course,” JunHyung replied, scoffing. “With you helping me out, I couldn’t go wrong.”

“Mmm,” RaeIn hummed. “There’s something missing though.”

“What?” JunHyung asked surprised while RaeIn scrunched her brow pensively.

“Ah, I know,” RaeIn said after making her decision and she grabbed the flower from her hair and placed it in the pocket of a flustered JunHyung’s vest. “That looks much better.”

“Wh-what are you talking about? This flower doesn’t match me at all.” JunHyung looked away hoping that RaeIn wouldn’t be able to see the blush creeping onto his face.

“Ah, you’re right,” RaeIn said giggling as she reached over to retrieve her flower. “I just thought a flower would make you look more—“

RaeIn was interrupted, though, when JunHyung grabbed her hand, stopping her from taking back the flower. Instead he redirected her hand on his shoulder, and placed his hand back on her waist.

“No,” JunHyung said softly. “Now that I think about it, I like it, and I think I want to keep it.”

RaeIn smiled at him when he said this. “Yeah,” she replied. “Sure thing.”

“What am I doing?” JunHyung thought, trying with all his might to resist his blush.

“That confession, I had to hold it in, but now I’ll confess to you…~”

“RaeIn-ah,” JunHyung started.

“Yes?”

“I, uh…”

“Nuhreul saranghae~”

“Yes?” RaeIn repeated when JunHyung didn’t continue. The two slowed down as the song ended.

“It’s, uh, getting kind of hot,” JunHyung said, completely flustered now. “Uhh… wait here. I’m going to get a drink first.”

RaeIn laughed. “Why do you always end up leaving me on the dance floor? I’ll go with y—“

“No!” JunHyung said immediately, surprising RaeIn. “I mean, no it’s okay. I’ll get it myself. I’ll be right back. D-do you want anything?”

“Sure, maybe some punch…”

“Okay! Wait here, okay? Wait here!”

RaeIn crossed her arms and chuckled amusedly to herself as she watched JunHyung thread through the people on the dancefloor, trying to make his way out. Once he was out of sight, she sighed and turned to the stage, waiting for MC HyunAh’s and MC JiYoon’s next announcement. But as she was turning, she felt someone tap her on the shoulder.

“That was fast. You’re back already?” she asked, turning around expectantly. However, her companion slickly grabbed ahold of her arm, pulling her with him.

“DooJoon?” RaeIn exclaimed in shock. “What are you doing? Let go of me!”

However, DooJoon neither looked back at her nor answered her, and proceeded to drag her off the dancefloor.

——-

After pouring himself a cup of punch, JunHyung quickly downed it and wiped the sweat off his forehead with his sleeve. A hand grabbed on his shoulder.

“Hey, JunHyung!” YoSeob said, grinning widely.

“Oh uh… hey, YoSeob.” JunHyung greeted.

“Wow, I’ve never seen you sweat so much! You look a bit nervous,” YoSeob teased. “This has nothing to do with me beating you and DooJoon-hyung to RaeIn earlier, does it?” YoSeob laughed. “That was actually kind of funny. Like we were all racing each other, but I won…”

JunHyung put a finger to his lips in a shushing motion, but he surprised YoSeob when he grabbed his arm and put a hand over his mouth to silence him. JunHyung looked around, worried that people could hear what YoSeob was saying. Once he felt safe, he decided to speak.

“Ah, I don’t understand anymore, YoSeob. Why do I feel like this?”

“Whoa, let’s not get carried away, Hyung. I like girls,” YoSeob joked, pointing out that JunHyung was still grabbing onto his arm. JunHyung quickly let go once he realized this as well.

“That’s not what I meant! Ah, I’m just really confused right now.” JunHyung was frustrated now, pacing back and forth a few steps in front of an amused YoSeob.

“What’s going on?”

“What does it mean when a girl gives you a flower?” JunHyung stopped pacing and faced YoSeob, completely serious.

“That’s kind of… weird. Shouldn’t you be giving girls flowers?” YoSeob mused.

“Look,” JunHyung commanded, pointing at his chest to his vest pocket. “Look at this flower.”

“Oh that’s a pretty flower. A girl gave that to you?” YoSeob nudged JunHyung’s arm playfully, winking as he did so.

“Yeah, RaeIn put that there while we were dancing earlier.”

“Oh, I see,” YoSeob continued to tease. “Do you think she likes you?” YoSeob continued to tease, thinking this was all a joke.

“Of course not!” JunHyung exclaimed.

“I know, I’m just kidding. She’s DooJoon-hyung’s, I know that.” YoSeob replied, not teasing anymore. However, he noticed JunHyung’s face change and began to tease again. Winking, he added, “Do you like her?”

“I think… I think I do.”

This was not what YoSeob expected at all. YoSeob expected JunHyung to deny it with lightning speed. YoSeob expected JunHyung to defend himself and tell YoSeob to stop playing around. Yes, YoSeob had noticed the changes in JunHyung’s actions, and yes, YoSeob had noticed that JunHyung had been acting weird around RaeIn lately. But now that JunHyung had confessed to YoSeob… “Uh, oh,” was all he could think.

“What?” YoSeob exclaimed out loud. “Hyung, what are you thinking?”

“I don’t know,” JunHyung admitted, bringing a hand to his forehead. “YoSeob, I… I almost confessed to her just now, and it scared me.”

“What are you talking about? If you remember, technically she is still together with DooJoon-hyung.”

“Yeah but” – JunHyung pointed at his vest pocket again – “the flower!” JunHyung sighed. “Well, I’m not even sure if I like her or not.”

“I have to admit, JunHyung, it really seems like you do,” YoSeob interrupted. “Don’t think I haven’t noticed you and RaeIn-ah talking more lately.”

“Ah, yeah,” JunHyung admitted. “But you’re also right about DooJoon-hyung also. Since they’re still together I don’t think I should pursue her.”

“Good,” YoSeob said relieved. Tension between the leader and the rapper was the last thing he wanted to see happen.

“Then again,” JunHyung said again with a playful smirk. “DooJoon and RaeIn aren’t really on best terms right now. Maybe what she needs right now is a Prince Charming in the form of BEAST’s charismatic rapper.”

“JunHyung!” YoSeob reprimanded.

“I’m kidding,” JunHyung laughed. “I wouldn’t do that, you know that. I’ve got to thank you though. I really needed to tell someone about this. Maybe now that I got this off my chest I’ll get over it.”

“Yeah,” YoSeob agreed. “It might be a phase.”

“Mmm, yeah,” JunHyung said. He patted YoSeob on the shoulder. “All right, well I told RaeIn I’d bring her back a drink.”

“Oh, I’ll go with you! RaeIn promised to introduce me to her friend!”

JunHyung filled two cups with punch and he and YoSeob headed back to where he left RaeIn earlier.

“Oh, she’s not here anymore,” JunHyung said looking around, obviously disappointed. “I guess she got tired of waiting for me. Did we really talk for that long?”

“I’ll help you look for her,” YoSeob offered, looking around as well.

The two walked around and began their search. Not wanting to worry anyone, they decided against involving other people in their hunt.

“Oh, I think I see her!” YoSeob said, pointing and squinting out a window. “She’s outside.”

“Is she with somebody?” JunHyung asked.

“Yeah, but I can’t really tell who it is. Let’s go!” YoSeob replied. They slowed as they approached RaeIn for they soon realized who she was with.

“DooJoon-hyung?” JunHyung wondered out loud. He stood frozen, not knowing what to do, but YoSeob pulled him down to crouch with him behind a potted plant next to the wall. This time YoSeob held a finger to his lips to hush JunHyung. JunHyung nodded, now comprehending the situation, and the two sat quietly to listen.

——-

When DooJoon pushed the door open, a cool burst of air passed over the pair as he continued to drag RaeIn outside, where they could be alone. It was a warm October night so RaeIn was comfortable with the dress she was wearing. What she wasn’t comfortable with, however, was being manhandled and dragged outside against her will. She shook her hand free from DooJoon’s grip and she was glaring.

“What’s wrong with you?” RaeIn exclaimed angrily.

“Hey,” DooJoon said softly, calmly. “Can I just… explain what happened that day?”

“I think you’ve explained enough,” RaeIn replied, stubbornly.

“So are we just going to not talk forever?” DooJoon asked. RaeIn replied with silence. She was crossing her arms now, and looking away. “RaeIn…”

“Okay, then. Explain.” RaeIn surprised him by staring straight into his eyes. This only got him flustered and unable to speak, so he started stuttering. RaeIn’s eyes narrowed. “Exactly.”

“Wait!” DooJoon exclaimed once he regained his composure. “SeKyung and I… We’re just—“

“Friends?” RaeIn asked, raising an eyebrow. “That’s what they all say.”

“But we are!” DooJoon continued. “And it wasn’t a date. She asked me to go with her, and I said yes not realizing what day it was. We were just hanging—“

“Hanging out?” RaeIn interrupted again.

“You know what I mean,” DooJoon said, exasperated now.

“No, it’s totally fine,” RaeIn continued. “I mean, we never actually broke up or anything, but that’s cool.”

“RaeIn,” DooJoon said, trying to get her attention.

“We had our fun, I guess.”

“RaeIn,” DooJoon repeated, but she paid no attention.

“And we’re still young; I totally understand if you want to get into… new things. I’m a big girl; all you needed to do was tell me—”

“RaeIn!” This time DooJoon was a bit angry. “Just listen to me for a sec!” RaeIn was taken back by his sudden explosion, which rarely happened, but she decided to listen. “I have never, would never, will never even think about breaking up with you. Why can’t you understand that?” DooJoon, realizing he had just yelled, took a couple seconds to calm down before continuing. “I’m sorry. I should have gone to your birthday party. It was my fault that I wasn’t aware of the day. Just know that not seeing you on your birthday is one of the biggest regrets of my life and I swear I will make it up to you somehow.”

DooJoon tried reaching for RaeIn’s hand, but she pulled away.

“But why did you lie to me?”

“That was also me being stupid. I don’t even know why I did that. But you can trust me, you know that. And if you don’t, then I’ll just keep proving to you that you can.”

RaeIn bit her lip, confused. “It’s just… it took so long before we finally talked, so I thought you didn’t care anymore.”

“What are you talking about? Of course I care,” DooJoon said, cautiously stepping toward RaeIn. He tentatively opened up his arms in an invitation, and hoped with all his might that RaeIn might accept. And she did. This time RaeIn took a step closer and wrapped her arms around his body while resting her head on his chest.

“Actually,” DooJoon said, wrapping his arms around her petite body as well, “You’re the only one I care about.”

“That’s a lie,” RaeIn said, but this time smiling. “You said you wouldn’t lie to me anymore.”

“What do you mean?” DooJoon asked, just a little bit worried.

“You care about BEAST too, and your family.”

DooJoon chuckled as he tightened his hold on her. “Okay, you caught me. But I care about you the most.”

——-

YoSeob watched as DooJoon and RaeIn returned to the party, walking hand-in-hand. He glanced to his friend beside him; JunHyung’s expression was unreadable. YoSeob was not sure how to react, and even more how JunHyung would react. He placed a nervous hand on JunHyung’s shoulder.

“Er… Are you okay?”

JunHyung looked at YoSeob and after a couple seconds put on his trademark smirk. “Yeah, of course I am.”

“But DooJoon and RaeIn…”

“Yeah, I know, but what did I expect right?” JunHyung replied coolly as he stood up from their hiding spot. “Let’s go back inside,” JunHyung added, gesturing to YoSeob with his head.

“Right,” YoSeob replied, getting up as well. As he followed behind, he noticed the JunHyung kept his head high and proud, and he looked straight ahead as he walked. However, YoSeob couldn’t help but also notice how JunHyung’s grip had tightened around the two cups he was holding on to.