Just Another Day In The Life

OPERATION T.R.E.E. 3: The Sixth Sense

 

 

CL had just gotten home from school and had a huge pile of work waiting for her at home. Now that she was in college, she had to earn extra to sustain a living for herself as well as to learn how to be independent and to handle jobs and work pressures even better. It served as training on her part.

“Alright. After all these, I have to go straight to the call center to work on my shift and earn me some extra cash.” Yes, CL worked at a call center to provide for herself. Since moving out of her parents’ house, CL wasn’t used to the pressures that living alone brought her but now, she was starting to get the hang of it.

As of the moment, she was busy fulfilling her duties as a smart and responsible student: by finishing all of the homeworks and projects given to her this day. All of them.

“Let’s start with the Algebra take home quiz.” CL said as she reached for her Algebra nook and opened it on the page of Linear Inequalities. She took her pen and a sheet of paper and finished off the rest of the take home quiz which she started to work on. CL was speedy and accurate, having finished the quiz in a matter of 15 minutes, rechecked them and was greatly delighted to  know that they were all correct.

“Glad I’m done with that. Now, it’s time for that History project. Do a research on a prominent politician that has inspired you and whose life is the framework of yours.” CL read her assignment and eagerly turned her notebook laptop on and connected to the Internet to begin her research.

Everyday was a busy day for college university scholar Lee Chae Rin. She was eager and willing to work long hours, not just on school work but with her small part-time job. Even her boss at the call center spoke highly of her work ethic.

RING! RING! CL’s phone rang. It was buried underneath her books and papers so she panicked as she tried to look for it.

“There you are!” she picked the phone up and looked at the caller ID. It was her boyfriend Ji Young, calling in to check on her. She was hesitant to answer his call because they had been through something together and those few fights over the past few weeks had caused an on-and off situation between the two.

“Fine... I’ll take this call.” CL said. She put the phone on her ear and spoke to Ji Young.

“Hey CL. “ he said with a weak voice.

“Hi.” she said in return, also with a weak voice. It was evident that the two of them were still hurting.

“Uhm...about last time-“

“I don’t want to hear anymore sorries.” CL cut him off, taking him by surprise.

“What?”

“I’ve made up my mind...” she said, on the brink of tears. Ji Young knew what was coming. “I’m  breaking up with you. Sorry, this is just too hard for me...” CL was in tears as she spoke and hung up on him. She couldn’t bear the sound of his voice as it hurt her even more. Emotionally broken, CL leaned on the wall and covered her face, deep into tears.

Relationships. It was her Achilles heel.

 

            Jessica Jung was in her mansion, doing her usual things. She was so engrossed with the new haircurler that she got herself after her old one broke down. The posh socialite was curling her hair and delighting herself with the various forms that took on her hair.

            “Oh my God! This is the coolest thing ever! Its heat isn’t damaging, it lasts longer and I can take it anywhere!” Jessica squealed. Because of its safe nature, she continued to use it to her heart’s delight.

            “No! I am not giving the kids to you!” she heard her mother yell out loud. Jessica was startled and placed her curler down. She walked up to her door and pressed her ear against it, eavesdropping on their conversation.

            Great! Another family feud coming up! Wonder what it’s about this time. Jessica sarcastically thought. She continued to press her ear against the wooden door of her bedroom to hear what her parents were fighting about.

            “I’m going to tell you once again, I do not have another woman! This is all a huge misunderstanding! I can’t believe you dare brainwash our kids like that!!!” her father bellowed. It confused Jessica as she did not know what her parents were fighting over.

            What  the hell is going on this time? Jessica was worried.

            “First, you tell me that your business is bankrupt and second, you reveal that you have a mistress and a lovechild. What else do you have to confess?!” her mother angrily cried. There was a moment of silence which made Jessica all the more nervous and curious.

            “Come on  dad, what is it....” Jessica muttered in between gritted teeth.

            “COME ON! TELL ME!!!” her mother screamed. Finally, her father sighed and mustered the courage to reveal the most painful truth of them all...

            “I have to tell you this because this, I believe can really affect our family. It can greatly affect our children, especially them.” Jessica heard this and braced herself. She bit her lip and placed a hand on her chest, specifically where her heart was.

            “We’re broke.” he uttered quickly. Then, a huge silence engulfed the household and Jessica, who was still listening from inside her room, fell to the floor which created a huge thump. Her parents were deep into arguing and were lost in emotion that they did not hear her fall to the floor. Jessica covered and started to cry slowly. What was gentle muffling turned into heavy sobbing.

            “We don’t have any money left. I don’t earn anymore since the company’s bankruptcy. “ Mr. Jung regretfully admitted. Both he and his wife were in tears as they were afraid of breaking it to the kids that they had no more money.

            “This is all your fault!” Mrs. Jung cried, gritting her teeth. “YOUR FAULT!” she struck her husband in the chest, pushed him away from her and ran to her room to get her things packed. Mr. Jung was dumbfounded and distraught. He had no idea how to keep his family together.

            Jessica on the other hand was crushed with this news. She spent a long time on the floor, crying her heart out, trying to realize that her life was starting to fall apart.

            In the Ahn household, Mr. Ahn was busy taking care of his business when he got a surprising phone call from Sohee’s college.

            “Hello?”

            “Hello, is this the home of Mr. Ahn?” asked the voice from the other line.

            “Yes. This is him. How can I help you?” asked the curious father.

            “Your daughter Sohee has been caught in yet another issue here in the university campus.” The worried Mr. Ahn got to his heels and worriedly grasped the phone cord.

            “What did she do?!” he didn’t know whether to be sad or angry.

            “Your daughter took part in a rally promoting human rights.”

            “And-“ Mr. Ahn knew that his daughter was an activist and passionate about human rights violations and he was nervous that she could’ve been kidnapped.

            “And she has been detained. Her sentence is almost up and if you wish to pick her up, please proceed to the Detention Area.” said the principal on the other line. Mr. Ahn dropped the phone and hurriedly got into his car to speed to the Detention Area and get his little girl.

[AT THE DETENTION AREA]

            “SOHEE AHN!” called the warden in the juvenile detention area. Sohee was sitting in her cell, clad in her school uniform, looked up and saw her father from afar. She sprang to her feet as the warden opened the cell. Out ran Sohee and towards her father she went. Mr. Ahn stood outside the door looking not so happy but nonetheless, relieved that she was alright.

            “Dad!” Sohee squealed as she approached her father. Despite of what she did, her father still took her in, embraced her and kissed the top of her head. He was just happy that she was okay.

            “Good thing you’re okay.”

            “Dad  I did so much for the past few days-“

            “I know. I’m proud of you. But what’s important is you’re alive.” Mr. Ahn smiled and pulled away from his hyperactive daughter whom he was mighty excited to see.

            “Let’s go home daddy!” Sohee said ecstatically. The two walked to the car and drove home.

            Nicole and her mom were busy doing their mother daughter bonding that day. Out of all the girls, it was Nicole who had the most decent and peaceful, seemingly normal life. Nicole was the typical girl next door.

            “Mom! What are we baking next?” the two were busy doing their all-time favorite mother daughter activity: baking. Mrs. Jung had a thing for baking while Nicole derived pleasure from eating their freshly baked brownies.

            “We can bake some cookies, too!” Mrs. Jung said. Nicole’s eyes widened. She ecstatically rushed to the baking drawer to bring out the ingredients and tools needed for this new project of theirs. It wasn’t exactly new as they had made cookies in the past. It was just something that she and her mother bonded over. Baking. And eating.

            Gahee had a seemingly boring life when she wasn’t out crimefighting. Oftentimes she would just sit in her room, secluded from the family life in the living room, watching sitcoms on YouTube or listening to music, sometimes doing hair and makeup tutorials. Her life wasn’t as interesting as the others’ and even she knew it herself. As a matter of fact, she wished everyday that she would have something else to do in life, something that was productive and exciting.

            Until she got that one call she was waiting for. That one call that would change her life.

            RING! RING! Gahee’s phone started to ring. Bored while watching her favorite sitcom, she grumpily picked it up, not bothering to  even check the caller ID.

            “Hello?” she answered grumpily.

            “Uhm, hey.” came the familiar voice from the other line. It was Eli! And she was shocked out of her wits.

            “Eli?” she asked shakingly. She always had the hots of Eli, the most popular and handsome student in her block in the university. Just yesterday she was just looking at him, staring at him and hoping that they would someday go out. Now, she was here talking to him and anticipating his next words.

            “Yeah. Uh... I wanna ask you something.”

            “What is it?”
            “I know this is weird but don’t feel awkward or anything...” Eli was stammering. Gahee’s female instincts told her that he was going to ask her out to the acquaintance party but she did not want to fully bank on it.

            “What?” she said, ultimately curious.

            “I was wondering if you would go to the Acquaintance Party with me...” Eli said shyly. Gahee’s insides jumped and tumbled with joy as butterflies fluttered in her stomach and head, making her feel all giddy. She blushed a bright shade of red and grinned widely. She could see Eli smiling just as wide and shyly in her head.

            “Well...” she coyly replied.

            “What do you say?” he proposed once more. “Please?” his voice was so gentlemanly and sweet that Gahee just couldn’t say no.

            “Okay. I will!” she excitedly said.

            “Great. Thanks! You’re an awesome pal!” Eli said. “See you then!”

            “Thursday?!” Gahee giddily confirmed.

            “Definitely!” Eli said. “Okay. I’m hanging up now. Bye. See you!” Eli hung up and Gahee was ecstatic, in a world of shock and bliss. In her joy, she covered her face with a pillow and squealed into it. Gahee had never felt so alive.

            “For once, I actually have a chance at a boy that I like!” Gahee squealed.

            These girls had their own problems to deal with. On the other side of the world, people were about to be faced with one huge crisis.