Chapter 5

I Love You, I Love You Not.

 

Lee Jae Mi

“Wait. You two know eachother?”, asked Jae Mi’s mom.

“He goes to my school umma. Actually, he’s quickly becoming a really close friend.”

“Chincha?”

“Ne.”, said Minho. “Jae Mi was the first person I talked to on campus. Appa, you should see her car. It’s so cool!”

“So you two have become close in just one day?”, asked Minho’s mom.

“Ne umma. We have most of our classes together, so we had plenty of time to talk and get to know eachother.”

“And Minho has been so helpful. Since he already knew the campus it was easy to find where I needed to go.”, said Jae Mi. “Plus I have some good news for you appa!”

“Oh? What news?”

“Minho took me to meet up with the softball coach. And, well, long story short I made the team!”

“Oh Jae Mi that’s great!”, said Jae Mi’s dad. “Thank you Minho for doing that for her.”

“It was no problem at all. I watched her try out. She’s a fantastic pitcher!”

“Kamsahamnida Minho.”, said Jae Mi. “Appa, Si Min has news for you too.”

Her father turned towards where Si Min was sitting.

“Appa.”, said Si Min. “I tried out for basketball after school today. I made the team.”

“Ay my children. You two are so smart and so athletic. I am a very proud father.”

“Jae Mi dear why are you still standing?, asked Jae Mi’s mom. “Sit down so we can eat.”

“Mianhe.”, said Jae Mi as she sat in the only seat that was left, next to Minho.

“You look beautiful in that dress Jae Mi.”, said Minho.

“Kamsahamnida. You don’t look half bad yourself.”

They smiled at eachother.

You are going to make a girl very happy someday, Choi Minho. I almost wish that girl would be me…

Choi Minho

All of a sudden, Minho and Jae Mi’s parents started to act nervous and a little anxious. Dinner was way too quiet. Something was bothering them.

“Ok what’s going on?”, asked Jae Mi.

“What do you mean Jae Mi?”, asked her mother.

“You and dad are acting the exact same way you did when you told me we were moving so what is going on?”

“I’m not moving again! We just got here!”, said Si Min.

“Don’t worry Si Min, we’re not moving. Minho’s parents are acting nervous too. They’re planning something.”

“Appa! Umma!”, yelled Minho. “Why are we really here?”

Silence. Minho and Jae Mi’s parents just stared at the food on their plates.

“Wait a minute. I know what you’re up to.”, said Minho.

That got the parents’ attention. Everyone was staring at Minho. Their parents were turning pale.

“Jae Mi, are your parents traditional?”, asked Minho.

“They can be. But sometimes they can be lenient too. Wae?”

“Think about it. Why else would two Asian families have their children meet eachother? Especially when one is male and the other is female?”

Lee Jae Mi

“No! No! No no no no no!”, Jae Mi yelled out in English.

“Jae Mi please! Calm down.”, her mother finally spoke up.

“Ani!”

My parents lost it! They’ve gone insane!

“Are you serious right now?”, asked Jae Mi. “An arranged marriage?!”

“Well, not exactly.”, said Jae Mi’s father.

“What do you mean not exactly?”

“Jae Mi please! It’s not nice to yell like this in front of company.”, said Jae Mi’s mom.

“It’s also not nice to trick your daughter into dressing up for an arranged marriage that she had no idea was going to happen!”

The room went quiet.

“Minho…”

“Appa! Ani. I agree with Jae Mi. This is unfair.”

“Can we just explain?”, asked Jae Mi’s mom.

Jae Mi and Minho stared at her.

“First of all we honestly didn’t know you two went to the same school. We just thought, Jae Mi, that since you would be busy you wouldn’t have much time to find a husband and you’re reaching the right age to marry so…”

“Wait a minute!”, Jae Mi interrupted. “You and dad did this because you’re in a hurry for me to get married?!”

“Is that your reason too?”, Minho asked his parents. “Just because my brother is too focused on his career and you’re in a hurry to marry off one of your sons?!”

“Minho-ah…”

“Ani! This is too much right now. I’m going to get some air.”, said Minho as he rushed out of the dining room.

Jae Mi stood up not long after Minho left.

“Where are you going?”, asked her dad.

“Out. I can’t even look at you right now.”, said Jae Mi as she walked out of the house and slammed the door behind her.