Chapter 1

I Love You, I Love You Not.

 

Lee Jae Mi

School starts in a couple days. Yay!

There wasn’t anything in this world that excited Jae Mi more than medicine. Ok, maybe one thing. Music. K-pop to be exact. But it’s common sense that Jae Mi would love k-pop. She’s 3/4 Korean, 1/4 American. K-pop is in her blood!

Jae Mi is the 2nd child of 3, the only girl. But being the only girl has it’s advantages. Jae Mi is extremely close with her mother. Every Saturday is Mother/Daughter day, and they have never missed a day in 20 years.

“Ready for Mother/Daughter day Jae Mi?”, asked her mom.

“Yes umma.”

“Since you’re starting your senior year of college I think this Mother/Daughter day needs to include a shopping spree.”

“Chincha?!”

Her mother laughed. “Ne, Jae Mi. Anything you want.”

Because Jae Mi’s mother is half American, she wanted to give her children Korean names that sounded similar to American names, so that Americans wouldn’t have a hard time remembering their names.

In English, Jae Mi’s name is Jaime, her older brother Jong Ni is Johnny, and her younger brother Si Min is Simon.

“Are you excited Jae Mi?”, asked her mother. “This is you final year. Then you go to medical school.”

“I know I can’t wait!”

When Jae Mi first told her parents she wanted to be a doctor, they were worried it was only to make her father, a Cardiologist, proud of her.

“Jae Mi.”, her dad had said. “Don’t become a doctor just because I am a doctor. I want you to do whatever you want to do.”

“Dad, I really do want to be a doctor! An OBGYN.”

“Where are we going first mom?”, said Jae Mi as she pulled into the mall parking lot.

“Park by the food court. We’ll have lunch before we start shopping.”

“Sounds good to me.”

Later that night, Jae Mi is laying on her bed listening to music when her parents walk in.

“What’s up?”, she says as she takes out her headphones.

“Are you busy? We’d like to talk to you about something.”, says Jae Mi’s dad.

“No I was just listening to music. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. But we have something we’d like to tell you.”

“Ok…”

“I’m not sure how to say this so I’m just going to say it.” But her father stays quiet. Jae Mi just sat there staring at her parents waiting for one of them to say something.

“I can’t say it Jagi, you tell her.”

“Ay Yeobo.”, says Jae Mi’s mom as she rolls her eyes at her father. “Jae Mi, sweetie, we’re moving to Korea after you graduate college.”

“What?”

“Mianhe. Please don’t be mad. I’ve always wanted to move back to Korea so you and your brothers could learn to love Korea as much as I do. But… Jong Ni is married now and it would be rude of me to make him and Annie move with us. They just got married and she is American and doesn’t know how to speak Korean and…”

“Dad! You’re rambling.” He always rambles when he’s nervous.

“Oh. Mianhe.”

Jae Mi’s dad wasn’t like most Asian fathers. He was a kind, understandable person, and he almost never raised his voice at Jae Mi or her brothers.

“And don’t worry dad. I’m not mad. Living in Korea sounds exciting.”

“Goreh?! You’re actually ok with this?”

“Yes dad.”

Jae Mi’s dad breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank God.”

“Honestly, the only thing that I’m going to hate about moving is having to leave my friends.”

Jae Mi’s friends were not going to be happy. They always said she was the life of the party.

Ashley’s going to take it the hardest.

Ashley is a year behind you. Jae Mi could never forget the day she met Ashley. She walked outside after anatomy class and found Ashley on the sidewalk with a confused look on her face.

“You look lost.”, said Jae Mi.

“A little bit.”, said Ashley.

“Where are you trying to go?”

Ashley showed Jae Mi her schedule.

“Oh my gosh. I’m going to the same building.”

“Seriously? That’s awesome! I’m Ashley.”

“Jaime.”

“Your skin is gorgeous! Are you Asian? Wait, don’t answer that. That was wrong of me to ask.”

Poor girl. She’s so nervous.

“No it’s ok. I’m 3/4 Korean, 1/4 American.”

“Really? That’s awesome! Do you listen to k-pop? Oh gosh I’m sorry. My questions today…I’m awful.”

“Will you stop?! It’s ok really. And yes, I love k-pop.”

“Oh my gosh really? Me too!” Her smile was so big, if it got any wider it’d probably get stuck.

“Haha! I’m Korean. Of course I love k-pop.” Just then Jae Mi noticed Ashley’s shirt.

“Oh my gosh! Nu-uh!”, Jae Mi yelled out.

“What?”

“You’re wearing a U-kiss T-shirt! I freaking love them!”

“They’re one of my favorite groups! Who’s your bias?”

“Kiseop!”, Jae Mi squealed.

“Nice. He’s my #2. Eli is my bias.”

“Oh my gosh. Eli is my #2!”

“Wow how weird is that?”

Ever since then Jae Mi and Ashley have been best friends, and Jae Mi knew Ashley was going to be heart broken when she finds out Jae Mi’s moving.