Chapter 2

I Love You, I Love You Not.

 

Lee Jae Mi

Time flew by way too quickly. It’s already June, and tomorrow the Lee family moves to Korea. Jae Mi and her friends planned a girl’s day, and since it was her last day in America, Jae Mi got to choose where they went. So because Jae Mi loves fashion and shopping, the first stop was the local mall for a mega shopping spree. Then the girls went to Magic Mountain to play arcade games and put-put golf.

“This is the most fun I’ve had in a long time!”, said Amanda.

“It really has been an amazing day.”, said Nina. “I can’t believe this is our last girls day with Jaime. Ohio is going to be so lame without you girl!”

“I know. It’s going to .”, said Jae Mi. “If I could take you girls with me I would.”

“Pssh! Why the hell can’t you take us?”, said Amanda.

“Yeah!”, said Ashley. “Teach us Korean so we can meet hot y Korean boys!”

Everyone laughed. Ashley was the most k-pop obsessed out of the group, which didn’t really seem to make sense. Jae Mi and Nina were both Asian, but Ashley was just desperate for a hot Asian boy.

“I’m hungry. Who wants lunch?”, said Nina.

“Yes please! Where shall we eat Jaime?”, said Ashley.

“I think because it’s my last day, we need to go to our favorite place.”

“Hell yeah! Olive Garden here we come!”, said Nina.

2 months later. Seoul, South Korea.

“How do you like Korea Jae Mi?”, asked Jae Mi’s mother.

“It’s ok. I’m sure I’ll like it more once I make some new friends and go out and do stuff. You know?”

“Yeah, I understand. Si Min is having trouble adjusting too.”

“Speaking of Si Min, he needs to hurry up or we’re both going to be late.”

Si Min’s high school wasn’t far from Jae Mi’s school, and since they had similar class schedules Jae Mi got stuck having to take Si Min to school. Jae Mi didn’t argue because she knew it would only be for a short time. In a few weeks, Si Min turns 18. He’ll be old enough to get his license, again. Poor thing had just gotten his license in America.

“Si Min-ah! Eoseo!”, yelled Jae Mi’s mom.

Si Min slowly walks downstairs. “Miahne Jae Mi. I’m ready to go.”

“You ok little brother?”

“I’m fine. Just kinda that we had to move before my senior year.”

“Mianhe nam dong saeng.”, said Jae Mi. “How about we do something together after school. There’s a park around the corner from your school. Go grab your camera and I’ll take you there to take pictures and we’ll go for a nice hike.”

“That sounds great sis.”, said Si Min as he ran upstairs to grab his camera. Si Min was very passionate about photography. Jae Mi would always go on hikes with him in America. There weren’t many siblings that were as close as Jae Mi and Si Min. They both love the outdoors and playing sports.

“Are you going to try out for basketball?”, asked Jae Mi.

“I don’t know. Maybe.”

“Maybe? I know Ohio’s star point guard, Simon Lee, isn’t going to quit basketball just because he moved to Korea.”

“But I might not be as good as the other guys that play.”

“So what? It’s your senior year Simon!”, Jae Mi and her brothers always called eachother by their American names, except for when they were around their parents. “The least you can do is try.”

“Ok, but only if you try for something too. Do they even have choir or softball at a medical school?”

“I don’t know. Guess I’ll find out today.”

“I hope they do. You have a great voice Jaime. And you pitch almost as fast as any boy!”

Jae Mi smiled at her little brother. “Thanks Simon. If there is, I’ll try. But if there isn’t….”

“I’ll still try for basketball. For you.”, Simon said with a smirk. Jae Mi knew how much he loved playing basketball. She couldn’t let him quit.

Jae Mi dropped off Si Min and headed towards her school. She’s nervous, but that’s to be expected on the first day. When she gets out of her car, she notices a guy looking at her.

“Nice car.”, he said.

“Kamsahamnida.”

“I don’t see many Mustangs in Korea. Especially Mustangs in such good condition.”

“Chincha?”

“Ne. I’m glad there’s someone who doesn’t mistreat their car. Especially muscle cars like Mustangs.”

“I baby this car like it’s my child.”

“How were you able to afford it anyway? I don’t want to sound mean, but there is no way a medical student can afford a car this nice without help.”

Jae Mi laughed. “My dad bought it for me when I got my license. He was one of the top Cardiologists in Ohio, so I guess you could say he had enough money to spoil his children.”

“Aren’t you lucky! You said you’re dad is a Cardiologist? That’s my field of study.”

“I’m going into Obstetrics and Gynecology.”

“Ahhhh OBGYN. Delivering babies. Nice choice. Where exactly did you say you were from again?”

“Ohio.”

“Ahhhh America.”, he said in English.

“Oh you speak English?”

“Of course. It seems like everyone now a days has to be somewhat fluent in English, no matter what they do.”

“Your pronunciation is really good.”

“Thank you.”, he said with a smile.

He has a really nice smile. Must be contagious because now I’m smiling. God he’s cute.

“I’m Lee Jae Mi.”

“Choi Min Ho.”, he said as he held out his hand.