Let Out The Beast

Fiction and fact

"Baekhyunnie," I hummed softly, the pale skin of his cheek. The hospital room was well lit, lights reflecting off white walls all around me and illuminating the hollowness of his face. He looked tired, weak. Probably because he'd been in a comatose state for an entire month, but as I looked down at his deteriorated body, I realized that this unhealthy change had begun long before then.

The stress of hiding so much from me and from the world must have taken quite a toll on him, and I was sure that my little bouts of near insanity hadn't helped at all. In fact, with everything he'd gone through, I was pleasantly surprised last night when I received the call that he'd woken up. I was beginning to think that he would sleep forever.

I was reminded of myself during the month of hell when I'd known nothing of Kris' whereabouts. I slept nearly all the time and Baekhyun would be unable to do anything but wait for me to wake up. Now, the tables were turned. 

Finally, I felt his cheek twitch under my delicate touch, and his eyebrows furrowed as he began to rouse from his slumber. "Baekhyunnie," I sang again, noticing the way he smiled when he registered my voice.

"Yeollie?" Baekhyun's eyes opened and he grinned weakly at me. 

"Hi," I whispered, as if greeting a long lost friend. And in a way, I was.

He opened his mouth to return my greeting, but then his eyes suddenly widened as he came to a realization. "Wait, what happened? Last I remember-"

"You told me the truth about Kris, I flipped out," I finished for him, waving my hand casually. "Sorry about that, by the way."

Baekhyun frowned at my flippant recollection of events. "Yeol, you stabbed me..." He looked confused, probably surprised at how easily I was sitting right next to him, acting as if nothing had happened. Although, I suppose my behaviour right now was proof that so much had happened.

I sighed, looking off to the side momentarily before facing him again. "I really am sorry... I don't know what came over me." I didn't feel as guilty as I perhaps should have. 

Baekhyun shook his head, obviously sensing my insincerity. He looked disbelieving, probably wondering if this was all a dream, but eventually he let out a long exhale of breath. He eyed me carefully, and grabbed my hand. "God, I really do love you too much," He muttered.

I smiled, realizing that he wasn't mad at me at all. "I know you do, and thank you for that Baekhyunnie. I'm so lucky to have a friend like you."

He returned my smile hesitantly, then worried his lip. "But how are you here? Didn't the police-"

"I talked to them, told them my side of the story," I responded curtly.

"And? They aren't going to... Arrest you? Or take you away?" Baekhyun prodded, looking much more alert now as he sat up straighter and leaned forward.

I shook my head, toying with the edges of the blanket.

"In their eyes, I'm completely innocent."

"Really?" His eyebrows shot up in disbelief. He waited for me to say something, probably tell him I was joking or that there was a catch, but when nothing came, he smiled in relief. "I'm glad for that," He laughed gently. "You aren't a bad person, Yeollie, you really didn't deserve anything that happened."

I looked up at him, a twinge of sadness and guilt in my chest. Tears sprung to my eyes and I was remembered of the old days, before I came this hollow shell of a psychopath. Oh, how I missed those days. When I was happy with Baekhyun, with Kris... But now Kris was gone and there was no happiness. I felt my heart harden again and leaned forward to grip his pale hand.

"Baekhyunnie, you love me so much, don't you?" I glanced at the clock. I'd been here for just under an hour. It was time.

"I do, Yeollie, but tell me, how did you convince them you're innocent?" He stared deeply into my eyes and I could see the devotion in him.

"You'd do anything to protect me, wouldn't you?" I ignored his question, knowing that I didn't have enough time to explain everything.

"Of course, but Chanyeol-"

"Byun Baekhyun?" The door behind me opened and I noted with slight regret that our time was up.

"Yes?" Baekhyun looked up in surprise at the newcomer.

"My name is Kyungsoo, but you can just call me D.O." 

I had to smile at his warm introduction, it bringing me back to a time when I wasn't as jaded but just as messed up.

"D.O." Baekhyun repeated. "Officer D.O?" He eyed D.O.'s uniform warily, glancing at me in confusion. 

"You know why I'm here, don't you?" D.O. spoke gently, if not carefully.

"What did you remember?" D.O. asked carefully, spulling a tape recorder from his bag and setting it on the table.

Baekhyun just kept his eyes on me, pleading with me to explain what was going on.

"Everything," I whispered.

I just shook my head and stood, backing away from the bed. 

He smiled. "And are you ready to talk about everything?"

"Yeollie," Baekhyun's voice was raised in alarm.

"Yes."

"You are under arrest for the murder of Kris Wu and the attempted murder of Park Chanyeol," D.O. spoke, moving to the side as two more officers came in along with a few nurses.

"I began to remember, I'd seen Baekhyun go outside with Kris' body. I didn't understand what was happening at the time... He- he buried him." My voice trembled with the memory and I had to pause to collect myself.

D.O. leaned forward, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Go on."

"I ran outside to see if it was true and began to dig and I found him, Kris. And Baekhyun came up behind me with a knife and- It was self defense, I didn't know what else to do," My voice was panicked as I recalled the horror I felt that night. 

"It's alright, Chanyeol," D.O. smiled, glad to finally have cracked the case.

Baekhyun stared at me with wide eyes, completely ignoring the officers. I could see the horror and betrayal on his face as he realized what had just happened, and that look eventually died down into one of sadness. He didn't say anything as the officers miled around him to place handcuffs on him and read him his rights. The nurses had deemed him perfectly healthy last night and D.O. promised to give me one hour to say my goodbyes before they came in to detain him.

I stood, my work here finished, and whispered a last, "Goodbye," before nodding to the police and leaving the room.

***

"He even pleaded guilty and everything," Tao said in awe, shaking his head as he sipped at his tea. "I was so surprised, I mean, Baekhyunnie? I never thought he could do something so terrible. And right in front of you..." He trailed off, staring at me with wide watery eyes.

I Tao's hair gently and pulled him into my chest, where he hugged me tightly. "I mean, I kind of understand that he was feeling jealous, but I would never dream of-" He froze as he realized what he had pretty much admitted.

I shook my head gently, giving the torn up boy a sad smile. "Don't worry, I kind of figured you liked Kris... And I don't blame you, he really was an amazing person." The word 'was' tasted bitter in my mouth, but I swallowed the taste quickly.

Tao played with my hands. "I'm sorry Chanyeol, I can't imagine how you must be feeling. Baekhyun was your friend..."

I smiled at his concern and intertwined my fingers with his. I knew that Kris was a lot of things for him, and that his death would be leaving a void in Tao's heart. Right now, Tao was probably as empty and lost as I was, and I decided that I was going to be there for him. I'd give him my undivided attention and take care of him just like Kris probably did. 

We fell into a comfortable silence and eventually the sun was going down. I was about to tell Tao that I should probably go home, when I noticed that he was asleep. I laughed softly, careful not to wake him, and glanced down and the precious boy. Although only a year younger than me, I couldn't deny that he was unbearably cute. I could see what Kris saw in him.

I Tao's cheek again, staring at the wall absentmindedly, when I noticed that my hand was wet. I looked down in alarm and nearly screamed when I saw the dark red staining my fingers. I stood quickly, nearly knocking the poor boy onto the floor. 

"Chanyeol?" He asked, his voice groggy as he rubbed his eyes. 

I looked down at my hand, biting my lip nervously when I saw how clean my skin was. "Nothing Tao, just a nightmare."

"Okay," Tao smiled cutely before sitting back on the couch. "Will you stay here tonight Chanyeol?"

"Scared?" I teased, taking a seat next to him. 

"Yeah, I don't want any nightmares..."

"Don't worry baby, there's nothing to be afraid of, I'll protect you." I hugged him protectively, but he probably never heard my words as he was quickly lulled back into a comfortable sleep.

I made myself comfortable, eventually finding a way to lie on the couch with Tao nearly on top of me, and closed my eyes.

My heart sped up when I found Kris's bloody and mangled face smiling at me from behind my eyelids, but quickly managed to calm myself. 'Don't worry Kris, I'll take care of your baby,' I promised, pulling Tao even tighter into my pounding chest. I could feel Tao's heartbeat under my arms, the warmth of his skin seeping through my shirt, and began to feel whole once again. 

As darkness began to overtake me, I dimly noticed the warmth slowly fading away and the pounding of our chests quieting until all I heard was one lone heartbeat.


Whoo! So we're done! Take from that ending what you will and I hope you enjoyed it :) I know, not the happy ending I would have liked to write, but I figured that not everyone has a happy ending anyways. I realize that it kind of changed from the idea I was thinking of when writing the foreword but this is okay too right? 

Currently trying to come up with an idea for my next story, any suggestions on what I should write? 

Well anyways, I hope you enjoyed my story as much as I enjoyed reading all your comments, and please feel free to comment one last time :D Bye guys!