Chapter Thirty-One

Soul Searching (JeTi)

Finally back? Ish. LOL! I'm still busy with life so I only right when I have time. Although, my bf might disagree about this 'not having time' coz of the amount I spend reading manga. LOL!

Hope all is well with all of you. Just finished this today and I'm posting it now. Just no time.

 

 

Chapter Thirty-One

 

She probably lost some weight due to stress, but she was still persevering. Her mother came home from New York and was staying at their main estate, but even she, who wasn’t always at Jessica’s side, noticed the younger girl’s frail state. Jessica was having lunch with her mother at their home before she headed to school for her classes since she already missed a lot.

 

“How’s school, by the way?” her mother inquired.

 

Jessica shrugged and said, “It’s fine. Thanks to your donation, they’re not needing me there as much as I should.”

 

Her mother giggled. “We didn’t donate to abuse it, daughter of mine. We did that so they somewhat are more lenient so even if you miss some days here and there, you’ll still be able to get your diploma.” Was her mother serious? She did realize how much she donated right? She should since it was from a joint account with her husband. She should be aware they really paid for the new library. How could they kick her out if she missed some classes? She just couldn’t imagine the outcome.

 

“Isn’t that the same thing?” She then grabbed her cellphone, checking her work related emails since she noticed it was piling up.


“You have a point.” Her mother nodded.

 

“Oh, they sent an invite for you and Dad  for the cutting of the ribbon when it opens next school year.”

 

“I’ll let my secretary know.” Her mother said as she reached for her glass of wine. “It’s rare for us to have a meal like this. It’s a good change.”

 

“It has been a while. I didn’t realize it,” Jessica answered; her eyes were still skimming through the emails. It annoyed her that one of the proposal she did with her team, was trashed by her grandfather. Seriously? They worked day in and day out on that project just to be ignored? She felt bad for her team since the reason they were suffering was because of her. She really needed to do something about this before they start doubting her or even be unsatisfied with work. She noted she needed to apologize to her team. They didn’t deserve this. Nor did she. But what could she do? She was a child in her grandfather’s eyes.

 

“Have you thought about where you want to continue studyi--- you need to eat,” she couldn’t help but make a comment about Jessica’s eating habits. She barely touched her food and was just focusing on work, as though her mother didn’t even exist.

 

Jessica placed some of the documents for work that she was reviewing on the table, and looked at her mom. With a smile on her face, she took a small bite of her club sandwich and said, “done.”

 

“You do realize you look so fragile, right?”

 

“Where’s dad, by the way?”
 

Her mother sighed. “You’re seriously going to change the subject?”

 

“I need to talk to him about something that’s why I stopped by.”

 

Missis Jung raised her brow at her daughter and said, “You’re not here to visit me?”
 

“It’s the same thing, Mom.” Jessica sighed.

 

“No, it’s not.”

 

“Mom, didn’t you use to do this, too? You visited Korea when it’s convenient for you?” When Jessica realized her words, she was scared to look at her mother’s face. She didn’t know where that comment came from but she had no excuse. It was insensitive and immature that there were knots in her stomach, causing her to feel nauseous. She felt like she wanted to vomit but she already said it and there was no turning back.

 

“I know,” her mother said as her head hung low, shoulders dropping as she sighed. “That’s why I’m trying to make it up to you. I’m sorry that it might be too late.”

 

Jessica closed her eyes, sighing in the process. She really didn’t want to say that. There was no intention at all. But it could be that she was this stressed that she needed to vent it to someone. And it just so happen to be her mother. She knew it was wrong but she couldn’t have her mother forget about it. She needed to own up to the words she just uttered “I’m sorry, Mom. I really didn’t mean it.”

 

“But you did, “she said as she stood up. “I’ll let your father know you’re looking for him.”

 

“Mom,” Jessica called as she stood up from her seat and held her mother’s wrist, stopping her from going anywhere. “I didn’t really mean to say it.”

 

“But you felt it, and that’s what’s annoying me. I know I was a lousy mother. I prioritized my work over my own family.”

 

“Mom.”

 

“It’s fine, Jessica. I just need a little fresh air. I’ll let your father know immediately that you need him. Expect a call any minute.”

 

“Mom.”

 

“Please.” With those words, Jessica let go of her mother’s hand. She knew she screwed up. Her mother was in the country because of what was happening with her --- with school and work. But here she was, hurting her mother just because she needed to vent. Why was this happening to her? Seriously. She wanted to make sure she could endure everything her grandfather was expecting of her and more, and also continue school like what her parents wanted from her.


Jessica shut her eyes and her hands balled into fists. She took in a deep breath and thought to herself: why couldn’t she just live life like her cousin? Or maybe just a little less herself? Why did she have this life? Couldn’t she be normal? But she realized she didn’t have time to be sentimental. How could she when there was a pile of work in front of her that needed to be done before the end of the day. Maybe she should just go back to work instead of school?

 

One of the maids noticed Jessica was collecting her things, so she ended up helping her. “Miss, do you need this in your room or to the car?”

 

“The car, please.”

 

“Should I inform your driver that you’re leaving?”
 

“Yes.”

 

“How many minutes, Miss?”

 

Jessica looked at the way her mother walked to. She might be back in her study or her room. “If you’re wondering about the Mistress, she’s in the balcony,” the maid said, as though reading what was on her mind.

 

“You still have a few minutes to spare before your school starts.”

 

With a smile on her face, Jessica said, “Thank you. Can you ask him to be ready in ten minutes?”
 

“Sure, Miss.”

 

Jessica headed for the balcony. She saw through the glass doors that her mother was seated in one of the chairs there; her wine glass was on a table. It has been a long time since she last looked at her mother, carefully looking at her as though creating another memory. It might be because of what happened earlier, she was a bit more sentimental. But it seemed to her that her mother hasn’t aged since she was young. It seemed like those few memories she had, few but precious, her mother looked the same. As her mother looked at their english garden, she looked like an angel. Jessica reached for the door and called, “Mom.” Her mother looked to where the voice came from. She had a soft smile on her face, but Jessica knew it was just a facade. “Mom, I’m really sorry.”

 

With the same smile on her face, she said, “It’s really fine, Sweetie.”

 

“No, it isn’t. I’m really sorry that it blew up like that. I really didn’t mean it. It’s just that I’m very stressed with work and everything that I vented like that.” Jessica sighed. “It isn’t an excuse though.”

 

Her mother gestured for Jessica to take the seat in front of her, in which she did. “I understand, Jessica. Your father and I were both there when we were younger. The drive to work as though it’s the only thing that existed. As though it’s the only thing that we needed to focus on.”

 

“Mom.”

 

“No, really, Jessica. It wasn’t because of the situation that I’m acting like this. It’s because of the fact that what you said was true.” She didn’t want to meet with Jessica’s eyes so she was staring at the drink that was on the table. “Not only that, but my last argument with your father before I left for New York was because of something like this, too.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Well, I was upset with your father with your accident and blamed him. Suddenly, things blew out of proportions and this is how we are now.” Jessica’s mom sighed. “And that caused for me to be an unfit mother. I tried to buy your love by buying you everything I think you deserve and more. That’s just how I know how to give you love, my baby girl. And I’m sorry for that. I ran away from my problems with your father and that ended up affecting you. I tried filling the hole by material things and hoped for the better. But I know it wasn’t enough, I just hoped it was enough for you to not hate me.”

 

“I know you love me, Mom. I really do.” Jessica reached out to hold her mother’s hand. “It’s not even a question. And I understand better now how busy you guys are. I understand more than ever.” She looked her in the eyes and continued, “Now that I’m also working, I understand how difficult it’d be to juggle everything--- especially family matters.”

 

“No, Jessica. You’re looking at this wrong. No matter what happens, don’t repeat what we did. Make sure you put your family first. Everything else is superficial. Everything else is replaceable.”

 

With a soft smile on her face, Jessica answered, “Thanks, Mom.”

 

That just validated some of the things Jessica was doing, and that made her happy. If she could keep Tiffany and her grandfather, it would be the greatest thing she could ask for. If it was only to prove a point to her grandfather, she would do it. For Tiffany that accepted her, for her parents that loved and supported her, she knew she needed to do all of this for them. To show them how much she appreciated them.



 

***************



 

“I thought you were going to school today?” Tiffany asked as Jessica walked in their bedroom close to midnight.

 

“Sorry, I got stuck at work.”

 

“Have you eaten?” Tiffany placed the book she was reading on the night stand, whilst getting out of bed and headed for where Jessica was.
 

She really didn’t feel like eating. After leaving the main house, she had to go to go back to work since Kahi said there was something urgent, plus they had to finish their pending work. Despite Jessica being assigned to the same team, Marketing, their whole team had more work to do since they were directly under the biggest shareholder. The status of the company is still unknown since most of the party are siding with her grandfather. Why wouldn’t they? She was a child playing office, who had more power than all of them combined. Who wouldn't be upset? She was their superior just because she was born with it. Destined, even. However, some of her father’s trusted partners sided with Jessica. They figured, no matter what the other party does, even if the chairman is currently on their side, Jessica still hold a stronger voice. And because of this, the amount of people Jessica had to meet was ridiculous, and they were allocated a specific number of minutes --- that was all. Just remembering this made Jessica want to scream. But no. Not here. Not tonight. Not in front of Tiffany.

 

“I had Charlie grab me something to eat earlier.” Jessica reached out to Tiffany, hugging her and then kissing her on the lips. “I’m home.”

 

“Welcome back.” Tiffany kissed Jessica’s forehead. “Tired?”

 

“No.”

 

“Liar.” She grabbed Jessica’s bottoms and squeezed it at the same time, causing Jessica to jump a little. “Such a liar,” Tiffany finished with a smile. “I’ll prepare you some food. I know you didn’t eat.”

 

“I di---”

 

“Dont. Let’s help you minimize your lies,” Tiffany said, cutting Jessica’s words.

 

Judging from Tiffany’s voice, she could tell that she was simply joking. Jessica playfully raised her brows. “You don’t know,” she retaliated. It wasn’t as though they were serious. They were just both playing around. “You know nothing, Jon Snow.”

 

“I know everything, Fool!” she joked. “Go get washed and I’ll prepare something. Seriously.”

 

Jessica did just that. She went to the bathroom and soaked in hot water. Bubble bath might do the trick. It might help a little. As she relaxed, she started to think about her day: that incident with her mother, which she regret but eventually turning out to be a good thing since they talked, the lies she told Tiffany. Speaking of which, why was her girlfriend’s intuition just on point? It was very hard to hide things from her. If only she could just turn a blind eye on this. Come on. Jessica was doing this for her. But Jessica understood it was just because she truly cared for her, and that made things difficult for the both of them. But what could she do? Tell Tiffany the truth that she was being somewhat oppressed at work because of her girlfriend? No. Absurd. The thought of knowing alone scared Jessica. What would Tiffany do to her? What would she do if she finds out? What would she think? Jessica really didn’t want to cross that bridge. There’s just no way.

 

“Hey, hurry. You’ve been there for awhile now.”

 

Jessica looked up with a smirk on her face, trying to put her worries in the back of her head. “You wanna join me?”

 

“Ha! That’s not gonna work, you fool. You’re tired.”

 

“Nope. Join in.”

 

“Nope. I’ll stay here. I already showered.”

 

“Boring.”

 

Tiffany laughed and said, “Next time, come home early then.” before she left.

 

Jessica yelled, “Don’t tease me! Come back and love me,” she finished as she laughed. She just couldn’t replace this anymore. This moment right now --- it was one of the reason why she was still fighting--- simple moments that warm her heart no matter how tired she was.




 

****************



 

“Woah, who’s that stranger walking in school grounds?” Taeyang said loud enough for the whole classroom to hear. He then looked over his shoulders, staring at Sunny. “Hey, look who the wind blew in.”

 

“Is that a twig?” Sunny commented.

 

“Wow, how dare you call her that. She’s a flower!” Heechul said.

 

Hyomin then said, “A withered one.” She then sighed. “What the happened to you?”

 

“Are you planning to be a skeleton for Halloween?” Taeyang asked and then continued as he snorted a laugh, “Honey, it’s too early for that.”

 

Jessica said nothing as she rolled her eyes. She knew her friends would make jokes about how much weight she lost. But she really was eating. She was even taking vitamins so she should be fine. It was probably just from the stress and not having enough time to sleep.

 

“Yah, Jessica.” Heechul called. “How dare you not show up for sh!t!”

 

Sunny then looked at Heechul. “Right? She’s always on about how busy life is. For all I know, she has a  new set of friends at work.” Friends? More like she had to baby more people there. Friendship didn’t exist there. “It might be that adult life, you know?”

 

“Shut up.” Jessica said as she sighed. “Why are you guys all here anyway? It’s only Sunny and Taeyang who take this class.”

 

“We can’t say hello to you now?” Hyomin asked as she crossed her arms. “We heard you were coming to school so we figured might as well see you.”

 

Who told them she was on the way? How did they know? She didn’t tell anybody. Not even Tiffany since Jessica was reading some documents in the car and had a conference call with one of the Market Director after that.

 

As though knowing what was in Jessica’s mind, Hyomin then said, “Tiffany called Charlie.”

 

It hit Jessica like a ton of bricks. No wonder Tiffany knew certain things about her eating habit. Next time she wouldn’t use Charlie as an excuse. Since Tiffany was familiar with most of Jessica’s staff that directly worked under her, she probably would call to inquire or ask them. It would look odd if she just started to ask her team to lie. It would paint a wrong picture.

 

Playing it cool, she just nodded her head. “Do you guys want to hang out this Friday?” She figured she really was neglecting her friends.

 

“Uh-huh,” Taeyang stomped his foot as he said this and continued, “so you can cancel on us? Are you crazy?”


He had a point. Jessica canceled a few times with them already since she was stuck at work. “Seriously though, I’ll be there.”

 

“Sure.” It was now Sunny who answered.

 

“My treat. I’ll show up.”

 

“Call! Gucci!” Taeyang said with a thumbs up. How could he refuse? Free dinner and then drinks? He was sure to pick something expensive. “Steak?”

 

“You wanna die?” Jessica showered her fist. Seriously? Steak? For all of them?

 

“Cous, it’s not like you’re poor. You’re richer than all of the students here combined.”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes. “Not my money.”

 

“But come on, Jessica. Steak.” Heechul now joined in.


“Is this about Jessica buying you guys dinner? No.” Nobody realized Tiffany was there. She started heading towards where they were, grouped in the back of the lecture hall before class started. “She is not buying you guys expensive things. Look at how thin she is! She doesn’t have money.”

 

“Am I really that thin?”

 

“Duh!” Tiffany said as she hugged Jessica. “It’s not healthy. Start eating on time or else I’ll go to your work and feed you myself.”

 

“No!” Jessica bellowed, which surprised everyone since they figured Jessica would jump at every chance to see and spend time with Tiffany. “I mean, I don’t want to hassle you by going all the way there just to feed me.” She then looked at her group of friends and said, “Anyway, fine, I’ll buy steak for everyone since I already bailed out a few times.” Jessica wanted to just changed the subject. She just couldn’t afford for Tiffany to press on or to have any type of suspicions. What would happen if she came and her grandfather was there? That would be ridiculous. Or if Tiffany suddenly finds out that she was a shareholder of the company? How would she react?

 

Surely, there were a lot of things she needed to discuss with Tiffany; however, she didn’t know how or where to start.



----------------------------------