Chapter Twenty Four

Soul Searching (JeTi)

Here's another update! :D You'll get to know a new side... or maybe a more sensitive side of Jessica. :D

 

 

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

 

Still at the office, she was seated around the staff, who were having a meeting with her father, restless. She was already late for dinner and she didn’t want to make Tiffany wait, but her father was not in a good mood since the proposal from them was irrational and unprofitable. Not fathoming the fact that this was the idea they came up with to market the housing project they were doing, she skimmed it again, trying her best to at least understand the concept and find profit in it. But as much as she read on and on, the more it irked her that she was dragged to this thing - she wasn’t even part of the sales division - the thought caused her to sigh.

 

“So you’re telling me that in order for us to sell these new houses, we give them a brand new car as well?” her father asked a guy, who was standing in front of the board room; his voice was stern. “Do you know how many millions of dollars it will cost us? And how much profit it will bring us?” Since her family was venturing on the real estate business; they bought out a company, making it one of their subsidiaries. That was why this team was formed to come up with ideas to profit both the mother company and the real estate branch; this was also the reason why Jessica was dragged there since she would need to learn this in the future. Her father always believed that learning at an early age is the key to success, so she sat there, making Tiffany wait at home. Sure, she understood that what her father was doing was for her sake, but that didn’t stop her from feeling drained as she worked the whole day, looking forward to going home to Tiffany. It was supposed to be  movie night for them; they arranged to go see Frozen. Why couldn’t she just go home? She had no business being there at the moment as the proposals were really just not going to bring that much profit to the company; obviously, her father turned it down.

 

She swore to herself that she was ten minutes away from offering to do the job by herself just so she could go home. This meeting was pointless, so might as well work by herself so she could get things over with.

 

“You’re the head of this team,” her father lwas still looking at the man, who was giving the presentation, and then eyed each of his team members, who were assigned to this. “So I paid you to come up with something like this? Tell me, why am I not approving it?” Sometimes, her father could be scary, especially if they were under his payroll and they came up with the stupidest ideas.  She looked at the man who stood there, whose head hung low; he must be really upset with her father, and that was one reason someone almost killed them before with that car accident. People under her father would always have to be careful around him since he had the authority to do anything - of course, anything that the Labor Commissioner would approve. But that was one bad thing about working for someone; your pride and ego, most of the time, got stepped on. “Jessica,” her father called as he looked at her, so she turned her head, meeting his eyes. “Can you tell me what’s wrong here? What would you do if this was your project, and I rejected it?”

 

“I’ll work on another idea,” she said to him nonchalantly. Even if her father was scary at this moment, she was unfazed and seemed calm; although, inside, she just wanted to throw a tantrum and leave. That was why she gave a simple and the obvious answer, so they could get things over with.

 

“Tell me, why do you think I’m rejecting this offer?”

 

Why bother asking this? Anybody would a brain would know why this was rejected. Then again, why bother since someone actually thought of this. Obviously, there were those who were stupid enough. “Clearly, if the starting prices on a house and land costs one hundred-fifty thousand US dollars to build, and we make it in the mid two-thirty, there is already a profit of eighty there simply from the beginning, that doesn’t include the interest rate and that depends on the client’s credit. If we throw in a car, that will take away twenty from our profit.”

 

“But we can add it to the loan,” the man said in defense.

 

She raised her hand, trying to stop him from talking even more. “I understand that,” Jessica said as she looked at the man. She really didn’t want to be the bad guy to point out his mistakes, but what could she do? This was business. Right now, she was speaking as the heir to this whole company so she needed to make a point and simply not seem like some pampered princess. “Let’s say we now mark the house at two-fifty with the car instead of the original price we intend, do you honestly think we will get back our money on the car, which can be sold for cash? Or, do you honestly think that they would be willing to pay for the car and the house for thirty years?” She raised her brow and then lifted the folder in front of her, reviewing his proposal very well. “It’s ideal to be able to buy a house that comes with a car, we will be able to fool our buyers to buying this house in a marked up value, but is that the type of business you want to build with your clients? There will be no rapport there.” She paused and then looked at the man again. “Think about it, we will buy a car for them that they would pay for thirty years, but what if they sell or trade the car and then we will end up repossessing the house because they can’t pay? Do you really want us to invest money on this and then charge for a more expensive mortgage loan? That’s just absurd. Too high of a risk and it isn’t an honest business.”

 

Mister Jung sighed. “So I paid all of you to work on a project, not even understanding anything about it? Jessica didn’t know a single thing about this it, yet she was able to explain to all of you why it doesn’t make any sense to us, and to think that every single one of you here is getting paid more than her.” He threw the folder on the table. “You wasted my time, your time, the funds. You just wasted a lot of things and opportunity to redeem yourself for the second time,” he said to the man. Actually, he did waste everybody’s time here and the company’s money; Jessica wondered why he was even in charge of such a project since this was their first venture on real estate developments. If he wasn’t even able to grasp such a simple concept, why bother working? He was the reason Tiffany was waiting at home right now, and that added go her dislike of the man.   “I want to see your resignation first thing in the morning,” he said as he stood up.

 

The blonde couldn’t believe her father just fired the man. Sure, he did a terrible job and wasted time and money, but to be fired? She couldn’t believe at how strict her father really was in business. Well she knew it, but this was the first time she witnessed it. With slightly hung open, she looked at the man, who was pale, probably sweating cold bullets. Maybe with her talking, it made it bad for him? If she had just shut up, not telling them what was wrong, maybe he wouldn’t lose his job. She wanted to say something, but what was there for her to say? Especially her. That she was sorry? It wasn’t like it was gonna change anything.

 

“Jessica,” her father called her so she looked up, meeting his eyes. “You’re in charge of this project. Come up with a proposal in two weeks since you need to settle down in the new division. Email it to me since I’ll be out of town.” He then addressed the group, telling them if they wanted to keep their jobs, they would be under Jessica’s care. The door was open if they felt like it was their time that was wasted since he trashed their work.

 

“But I’m already working in the accounting department, Dad,” Jessica said as she stood up, trying to argue. She was used to playing the villain, but to not like this. She wouldn’t gain any of these staff’s trust when she was partly to blame for their former superior’s termination. “Find somebody else.”

 

“Drop accounting and focus on this. We start building in six months, I don’t want to miss the chance to charge on pre-selling it. You understand, right?” Her father said. “You’ll have your own office in that division. Make sure you come up with something.” He then looked at somebody amongst the group, whom she didn’t know since she didn’t bother to listen when they were introducing themselves and there was no name plate in front of her. Now she knew that she needed to change her habit of not wanting to know employee names. “You’re in charge as her assistant, make sure you brief her everything she needs to know.”

 

Since her father was adamant about this, she didn’t really have a choice. He was still her boss; at this very moment, he was her boss first before her father, and she understood that. “To whom should I transfer my duties to?”

 

Even if she seemed like the bad person there - she always did seem like the villain - she didn’t want to be viewed or blamed for something like this. Even she had a conscience, but she couldn’t do anything if the person was incompetent, she thought in order to make herself feel better.



 

*****



 

“You didn’t like the movie?” Tiffany asked as they were walking from the parking garage to their unit; their hands were intertwined. “I thought the movie was great and I loved every character,” she then peaked over to look at Jessica, leaning forward a little. “You don’t seem like you enjoyed it though.”

 

Jessica had a soft smile on her face, trying to not make her girlfriend worry. Shaking her head, she then said, “No, it’s not that.”

 

“Then?” Tiffany asked as she squeezed Jessica’s hand. “Is there a problem at work? Actually, even at dinner, you’ve been so down.” She opened the door. “Let’s talk for a little bit. I’ll listen,” she said with a genuine smile on her face as she lead her to the living room. When they settled, Jessica opened up about what happened at work. “So you feel bad?”

 

“Well, yeah.” Jessica sighed as she looked into space. It just didn’t sit right that she was assigned to that job right after the man was fired in front of his team. “Do you think I did the right thing, blabbering like always? I think I should filter what I say sometimes.”

 

“It’s not like you’re really the cause of his termination, Jessi. You know your dad better than I do, but is he the type to fire someone on their first mistake?” True to Tiffany’s words, her father wasn’t the type to be unreasonable. He did mention that it was the guy’s second chance to redeem himself. Realizing this made her feel a little better, but there was still a part of her that felt pity for the man. How about his family? Would they be fine? The effects of her action didn’t stop with just the man’s life; he might be sustaining a family of five for all she knew, and he got fired because she was irritated and impatient. “Jessi, you shouldn’t be too worried about this whole thing. I mean, why does it bother you when someone incompetent gets fired? If you think about it, you did this for me before too.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“You don’t remember? Mister Chung was going to fire me, but you stopped him, remember?”

 

She remembered wanting vengeance from her, not because she felt pity. Well, maybe a little bit, there was still a hint of guilt, but it was overpowered by the will to make her suffer. “I honestly did that so I can bully you,” she mumbled.

 

Tiffany laughed. “Not even a pinch of guilt that you were the cause of my almost termination? But really though, no matter what, you were still my guest and you didn’t really harm me, so I had no right to pour juice on you. Had I done that to somebody else, I really wouldn’t be hired anywhere, especially if I did it to someone of your stature.”

 

Someone of her stature? Was Tiffany still bothered by the fact that she was monied? Had  she not been, how else would they be in this condominium, living together? But she brushed it off since she didn’t want to talk to Tiffany about something like how rich she was. “Maybe?” She honestly answered. But it wasn’t something like what she was feeling now. “I wouldn’t know unless you were actually fired,” Jessica sighed. “But I’m glad I felt the need to bully you, but I guess I also didn’t want to be the cause of your termination… just a little bit though. I mean, if I didn’t, you wouldn’t be here.” She then wrapped her arms around Tiffany, and laid her forehead on the girl’s shoulder as she sighed. “I really just feel bad about everything. I don’t even know how to show up to work tomorrow.”

 

“I’m sure you’ll do fine.” Tiffany hugged her tighter. “I mean, maybe people will think you’re mean and all that at first, but when they get to know you they’ll realize how good you are. So try showing them your real self instead of the I-don't-give-a-damn attitude you front. Show them my Jessica. Don't try to be their gold friend, but don’t act all high and mighty. Just talk like you're talking to me."

 

Hearing this, Jessica couldn’t help but smile a little. Only Tiffany would have this much faith in her. People? See the good in her? It was some type of fairy tale. But whenever something came from Tiffany’s mouth, it seemed as though it could be true in a form or another; at least to Jessica it was that way.

 

“I’m sure you’ll be fine. I wouldn't be here if I thought otherwise.”

 

Really, if Tiffany said she would be fine, she would rather trust that she would truly be. What was doubting ever going to do to her anyway? “I’m glad I talked to you about this.”

 

“You can talk to me about anything, Jessi.” Tiffany pushed her a little bit, their eyes were meeting. She then sighed. “Even if it’s an issue about Taeyeon. I mean, I know you both aren’t on speaking terms for some reason,” she said as she put on a smile, but there was something about it that didn’t sit well with Jessica. It was as though her girlfriend was hiding her sadness or even disappointment.


“I just thought…” she started, but decided she shouldn’t even try to make up any excuses. Her girlfriend needed to know the truth, and trying to make it as though what Taeyeon did was just passing wind wouldn’t help. Tiffany deserved the truth about them. Not just that, but her girlfriend needed to know that she turned down Taeyeon. “We kinda fought when you were in California.”

 

“I figured.”

 

Jessica sighed. She didn’t want to recall whatever happened that day, but for Tiffany, she would just so they could put this all behind them. “Taeyeon told me she loved me even before Yuri. And she wanted us to be together. Yuri’s just some cover-up or somethi---”

 

“Wait, what? Then why are you with m---”

 

“I turned her down!” Jessica didn’t want to hear Tiffany’s question. If she heard it, it would just make her feel even worse than she already did. She already hid this from Tiffany and making her question her feelings would just add to that, making her feel horrible. But she knew it was her fault. No girlfriend should question their lover’s love, and she gave Tiffany a reason to do so. “Tiffany, I don’t love her like that anymore. Trust me.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

That somewhat hurt the blonde. To be questioned of her feelings? But she figured she deserved it as she hid this from her for a long time. “Of course, I’m sure.” She only needed to prove to her that she was truly in love with only her now. “You think I’d be with you otherwise?”


“It’s not that, Jessi.”

 

“Then what is it?”

 

“Wasn’t she the girl yo---”

 

“Fany-ah,” Jessica said as she sighed. “I won’t hide this from you, I’m really starting to get hurt by your questions. I mean, really though? You’d say that she’s the girl I love when you’re my girlfriend?”

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to.”

 

She sighed, not liking the fact that Tiffany apologized. Why was it hard to convey her feelings? She was trying to be clear, but it seemed as though she wasn’t understood. “I hid it from you because I really thought it wasn’t something that would affect our relationship. I just didn’t want to recall why I have such negative feelings for her so I can forgive her.” Jessica sighed as she leaned back, sitting more comfortably. “I’m starting to forgive her. I truly want to be friends again, but how could I? And for the record, it really is just friendship. Nothing more.”

 

“Maybe you should talk to her. It won’t hurt,” Tiffany suggested as she placed her hand on Jessica’s lap. “I’m really sorry about that. I just didn’t want you to stop whatever you want for me. I love you, you know?”

 

The blonde smiled softly as she heard Tiffany say it. It was weird how a couple of minutes with Tiffany could bring her to feeling sad to hurt to glad to complete ecstasy. “I know,” she simply said as she adjusted herself, lying on her girlfriend’s lap. She looked straight whilst Tiffany bowed down; their eyes were meeting. “Don’t ever think I love Taeyeon more than I love you because it actually upsets me that you think that.”

 

Tiffany smiled, this time it was genuine. “You should try fixing things with her. At least, you can actually have your best friend back since she won’t try getting with you anymore.”

 

“True,” Jessica said as she laid on her side; her face was facing Tiffany’s stomach, placing her forehead on Tiffany’s top. “Thank you.”

 

“No worries.” She then started to run her fingers through Jessica’s hair. “Since you’re being such a baby, why don’t I visit you at work tomorrow?”

 

Jessica pouted. “I’m not being a baby.”

 

“Are to.”

 

“Am not.”

 

“Are to.”

 

“Am not.”

 

“Are to.”

 

“Shut up,” Jessica said as she got up and landed her lips on Tiffany’s, giving her a zealous kiss with their tongues happily dancing. Jessica stopped and then smirked at her girlfriend. “Maybe, I should act like a baby more often since you’ll end up visiting me at work.”

 

“Ha! So you admitted to being such a baby!”

 

Jessica got up and then shrugged. “Your baby?”

 

“Ew. Cheesey, much?” Tiffany giggled.

 

“Bring me lunch tomorrow. I’ll go get ready for bed.” She looked over her shoulder and then winked at her girlfriend. “Good night.”

 

Was this the feeling she would always get whenever she would be with Tiffany? She only talked to the girl, but she already felt relieved and wonderful. It was as though she was wonderful. This really was a new feeling to her since her parents were never there to talk to about her problems - she never would talk anyway, but the thought that she could would be a great reassurance. Now, it might not be from anybody she had known her entire existence; however, in the form of her girlfriend, it was much, much better.



 

*****



 

Jessica, I’m truly happy that you’re with Tiffany.

 

Thank you.

I hope you find this kind of happiness too.

 

I’m trying.

And I’m sorry. For everything.

 

Great.

I forgive you. For everything.

At least, try to work things out with Yuri.

I want you to be happy. Despite everything, you’re still my best friend.

 

We’re trying to work things out. :)

Thank you.

I’m glad you still think highly of me.


 

“Uhm,” someone said accompanied by a knock on her office door. When Jessica looked up, she saw her new assistant, Kahi. She made sure she would remember that name since that girl would be under her for awhile - not just that, but she would need to remember everybody’s name. “Everybody’s here, Miss Jung.”

 

She nodded and stood up, leaving her phone behind. It was time to introduce herself to new team. The whole morning, she had been reading files they had, informing her on accounts, blueprints, materials, printing company, and more. She didn’t know what to do; it was as though she was a child, thrown in cold water and was expected to know how to swim to save its life. However, she would manage somehow. But first, she would need to build rapport with her new team.

 

They were all standing up, around the round table, waiting for Jessica. Did they treat their superior like this? She was sure they could just seat since she wasn’t an executive, only a team leader so to some degree, she was a supervisor. If she was with her father, she would understand that they would wait for him to be seated, but not her. About three of of them were close to her age, which was good since being the head and also the youngest just felt weird. Although, she never had a problem commanding people around her so why now? Is it because she was the one responsible for the work? Or was it because she couldn’t act like the brat she was to just throw a tantrum or threaten to use her family’s influence on someone?

 

“Why are you guys standing?” she asked as she made herself familiar with each of their faces. She made a hand gesture, waving a little, telling them to seat. “As you heard yesterday, I’ll be in charge of this project,” she started as she, too, took a seat. “I’d like for you to call me ‘Jessica,’ and in order for us to get things started quickly, please introduce yourself one by one and tell me what your forte is and what you’re in charged of.” They looked at each other, slightly confused. Kahi then introduced herself once again, mentioning her duties along with it, and so the group started to do so one after the other. Five of them were in charged of fieldwork and she would rarely get to see them since they were also part of sales call. That leaves her with Kahi, Jooyeon,  Jiyoung, and Narsha.

 

“I will only be working here for the summer, so I’d prefer for us to get along. If you have issues with what anything, I will like to hear your opinion. We are a team here,” Jessica said, trying to gain the trust of her employees. She knew she never had the best impression on people, but in order to progress and be trusted, she would need to at least start by clearing whatever bad impression they had of her. “Whatever stories you heard of me from whoever, rethink them.” She looked at them,  and they were as though afraid of her. Here it went again. Every time she wanted to start on a clean slate, it still would seem like they were reprimanding them. “Anyw---”

 

“Jessi?” That voice was familiar, so she looked up, expecting to see her girlfriend there, and she was. The smile on Tiffany’s face made Jessica feel at ease, which she needed. “Hey, sorry to barge in, but I’m here to deliver the food you asked me to bring for your staff.” She then lifted three boxes of pizza with a large cake on top. “Where should I set it?”

 

Since when did she ask Tiffany to bring lunch for everybody? She wouldn’t trouble her with such a chore, but she was glad she did. “Just set it here,” she started to clear the table, which the team soon did the same thing. “I’m sorry if you guys brought lunch already, but I hope you like pizza.”

 

“Yeah, eat up.” Tiffany said as she neatly placed everything together.

 

“Miss Hwang, where do you want this?” One of the security guards asked as he lifted plastic bags of utensils and sodas. Tiffany then instructed for them to be left on the table with the rest and then left soon after.

 

“Thank you, Mis--- Jessica.” The girl named Jooyeon started, which everybody followed, thanking Tiffany as well.

 

“Thanks for doing this, Fany-ah.” Jessica smiled at Tiffany, who sat beside her.

 

“Ar-- are you guys classmates?”

 

Before Jessica could answer, she felt Tiffany’s hand grip her hand. “She’s my roommate. Her family’s hosting me for a scholarship,” she explained with a smile on her face. Technically, it was true that they were roommates, but it didn’t sit well with Jessica that they couldn’t even introduce themselves as their girlfriends. Although, it wasn’t like she should be able to tell the whole world her business, so she remained mum about it.

 

“That’s really nice. Are you in the same program?” Jooyeon asked.

 

Tiffany shook her head. “No, she’s a Business major, minoring in Accounting student. I’m in Finance, minoring Psychology.”

 

“Must be nice to be young again,” Kahi said as she sighed after she took a bite of her pizza.

 

“You’re still young though.” Tiffany argued. “Right, Jessi? Isn’t she?”

 

Jessica wasn’t good with talking with other people, who weren’t part of her circle, but since Tiffany was there, she was fine to strike some small talks with them. Plus, this team would be a great part of her summer, so it would be good to get along with everybody. “Yeah, I feel like you’re just a couple of years older than I am. Like, three? Five at max?”

 

“So you’re saying Kahi-unnie is just about twenty-six at max?” Jooyeon laughed. “She’s a decade older than you are, Mis--- Jessica.”

 

“Then you should take what I said a compliment,” Jessica said whilst flashing a smile. It must be nice to look so young when she was in her thirties. “And this is why I really don’t think you should call me ‘Miss Jessica’ or ‘Miss Jung’. You’re all older than I am, so really, please, try getting used to calling me by my first name.”

 

“But---”

 

“I’m technically an intern here. So let’s not start on this.” She didn’t let Kahi finish. “We’ll all work better if we all view ourselves equal, yeah?”

 

“This is nice! Mister Jin was really not like this. He made a fine line between us and him, so it was hard to voice things out,” Jiyoung said with his mouth full; there was marinara stain on his cheek. “I thought that you’re just going to be like him, so we all worried.”

 

Ssssh!” Jooyeon tried to silence him.

 

Jessica shook her head. “I know that you’re well-informed that I will soon be here permanently, and one day I’ll be a boss. I get that. But you don’t have to walk on eggshells around me.” She understood this well, but maybe it would be better to try to get along with everybody she worked with, but still keeping the fact that there was a job to be done. “To me, as long as you do your job well, you won’t hear anything from me. You can decorate your cubicles however you want, bring seat cushions, whatever. Just get things done.”

 

They all thanked her, and the air cleared of its awkward air from they were still introducing each other. She looked to her right, where Tiffany was as she was interacting with the others; in the past, she wouldn’t bother eating with an employee or even try to get along with them, but Tiffany made her realize that being alone wasn’t as fun. There were others out there worth her time, she just had to find them. Because sometimes, those worth keeping were on the other side of the wall, where she wouldn’t bother looking… just like Tiffany.



 

******



 

“Hello grandpa, how are you?” Jessica said when her grandfather answered her call.

 

“I’m doing alright, how about you? Did Hyomin cause you any trouble?”

 

Before answering, Jessica adjusted the bluetooth in her ear. “She’s Hyomin. She defines trouble.” Which caused her grandfather to laugh.

 

“How’s your mother?”

 

“She’s busy as always. I fly out to New York in two weeks, actually. But who knows? She cancelled on me last month since she flew to Europe.”

 

“I’ll scold that child. She should make time for you.”

 

If this was before, she would actually agree with her grandfather. “It’s really fine. I’m not lonely anymore,” she explained. Ever since Tiffany came to her life, whatever it was that lacked from her parents, Tiffany fulfilled plus more. There was no reason to complain since she knew that they were busy.

 

“It’s good that your mother adopted another daughter then.”

 

If only they knew what Tiffany was to her. Would they still think it was a good thing? “Grandpa, mom didn’t adopt. She’s just hosting.”

 

“Isn’t that the same thing?”

 

“No, grandpa, they’re not. Anyway, it’s Tiffany’s birthday next week so can we come over for the weekend?”

 

“Sure, why not?”

 

“Thanks! You can’t complain that I don’t visit you now,” Jessica joked.

 

Scoffing, grandpa Park then said, “You’re not visiting us, you’re here to have fun.”

 

“Grandpa, if I’m only there for a vacation and to have fun, I would’ve booked a hotel or something. At a place much nicer."

 

He laughed. “That’s very true. I’ll send the helicopter there then or are you using your father’s?”

 

“No, he might need it. I’ll just use yours since I can use that time on a helicopter, working.”

 

“Tsk, tsk, tsk. Don’t be too busy like your parents. Stop and smell the roses, Jessica.”

 

“I do have time.” Well, at least to spend with Tiffany she did. “I just use traveling time to work on things now.”

 

“Okay, I’ll see you next week.”

 

“Bye. I love you, gramps!”

 

“I love you.”

 

At least she was able to plan another stargazing trip with Tiffany. And not only that, she would have enough time to confess to her grandparents that she was indeed with the girl. If she was going to tell somebody in their family that she swung the other way, it would be to her grandparents first. At least, she knew no matter what, they would be there for her.


 

------------

 

I didn’t bother editing as I am busy packing! I’m moving to up north to Seattle from Las Vegas! It should be a new experience. haha! But I’m thinking of just being there for a couple of months.

 

Anyway, you might not hear from me for another two weeks…hopefully not. Since sometimes, when I’m busy that’s when inspiration knock on my door. Damn it!  lol

 

I MENTIONED FROZEN BECAUSE I AM IN LOVE WITH THAT MOVIE!!! If you guys spazz with me, I swear I just might update! I’ve seen it ten times!!! Turning eleven since I forced my friends to watch with me again on Saturday! HAHA!

 

Alcohol + Frozen = PERFECTION

 

Questions? Comments? Concerns?

 

Thanks for reading this!<3