Promise

12 Hearts for 1 Soul

 

 

"Mmmhhh..." you slowly stretched your arms and yawned. "I really sleep well" you said smiling, as you were staring at the ceiling. You turned your head to your right and looked at the alarm clock. Your eyes widden. 

12:39

"Why did I sleep so lo-..." you paused and then shouted"WAIT! HOW DID I EVEN CAME HERE?!" You straightened up and tried to recollect your memories *I went out with EXO, we visited the Town, then went to the Cat's Island..and then...and then..* You had no idea how you came in your room. You froze and,you don't know why, but your first reaction was to look at your clothes. When you saw that you were still wearing the same clothes as yesterday, you sighed. *Okay..everything's okay..almost everything..I'll just ask them and it'll be all right..* You stood up and went in the bathroom to take a shower and change.

"You're finally awake? I thought you were going to hibernate or something." told Kai when you went down the stairs. You shot him a look before going in the kitchen. Tao, Kris and Chen were in there."Good morning.." you said as you opened the fridge and took the milk.

Tao and Kris responded while Chen said "It isn't morning anymore." "Yeah, whatever..." you mumbled.

"I thought you usually woke up early." noted Tao. "I thought too.." you answered before lifting the cup of milk to your lips. As you were drinking, the rest of EXO came in the kitchen. 

"Had a good sleep?" asked Beakhyun. "Err..I think so...could you just tell me what happened yesterday?" 

"What do you mean? We went out, don't you remember? Did you lose your memory?" said Xiumin teasingly. 

"I know what happened!! I mean AFTER the restaurant! How did we came back?" 

« Oh, this. You fell asleep, so Kris carried you. » 

You reddened at the sudden thought of you sleeping like a giant baby, being carried by Kris. « ..Thank you Kris. » He nodded at you with a smile.

Xiumin continued « But why did you fall asleep anyway? I’ve never seen anyone sleeping in a restaurant on his hands before. » 

« Let’s just say that I was exhausted cause a bunch of superactive boys made me run around the town the whole day. » you answered sarcastically.

« Really? I really wonder who they can be~ » he said, smiling.

You rolled your eyes, annoyed *You won this time, bun.*

 

 

As you were finishing breakfast, you saw Hiji appearing at the door of the kitchen.

« Oh! Hiji! You’re back? » All the boys turned their heads to the door, wondering who you were talking to.

D.O who was the nearest of him, jumped and hid quickly behind Suho’s back.

« Hyung!! What’s this?? »

« Relax D.O, it’s just a cat. »

« I know and that’s exactly the problem! It’s going to hurt me! »

Hiji quickly ran towards your chair and jumped on your knees. You patted him softly and turned to D.O.

« Don’t worry, Hiji’s very sweet. He won’t hurt you, I promise. »

It didn’t calm him at all. He began to grip Suho’s arm very hard. 

« D.O! It’s you that’s hurting someone here! »

« Ohh..sorry, Suho Hyung~ »

You stood up with the cat in your arms and went towards them. When he saw you hanging over, D.O ran towards the door and hid behind. 

« Don’t come close to me with that thing! »

« It isn’t a thing first of all! And I told he won’t hurt you! You better get used to him since you two live under the same roof.»

« I don’t care, I don’t want to! Everything will be perfectly fine as long as it doesn’t come near me. » he paused « I-I’ll just go in my room a moment, okay? See you later… » and with that, he quickly disappeared. 

You were stunned at his reaction. « What’s his problem? »

Lay chuckled and explained « He has Ailurophobia. »

« Ailu- what? »

« Ailurophobia, it means that he has a strong fear of cats. »

Your mouth became round and you finally understood « Woooah, really? I never met anyone who had this phobia. Why is he scared? »

Lay answered hesitantly « Errr...D.O doesn’t really like when we talk about it, you know… »

« Ohh, I understand! …but…but we have to do something. If he’s scared every time he sees Hiji it’s going to be difficult for him, I don’t want him to be always stressed and scared about it. I better ask him personally. I’ll go see him now. » you put the cat on the floor and went after him.

Lay softened « She hardly know him but still care about him and what he feels. »

The other members were thinking the same thing. 

Suho added « Yes. And although we don’t know her neither, I really think she has a kind heart. »

 

 

 

 

You knocked on the door and called « D.O? » 

He opened the door and looked around as if he was searching something. 

« What are you looking for? » you said raising an eyebrow.

« The cat. It isn’t with you, right? »

You sighed « No, he isn’t. Can I come in and talk with you? »

« Sure. » You entered and closed the door. He sat on his bed and you sat on the one in front of him. 

« What do you want to talk about? »

« I wanted to talk about your fear of the cats. » 

He froze and as he was twisting  his hands together nervously, he stammered. «It-it’s nothing, really. I-I don’t want to talk about it… »

You saw his hands and softened. 

« I understand that, you probably don’t want to talk about it with me since we just met two days ago..but it’s important. You and my cat live in the same house; you can’t live jumping and hiding every time you see him. It’ll be stressing for you and you won’t feel comfortable. »

He lifted his eyes and stared at you for a few seconds before agreeing.

« Okay..but you promise me not to laugh at me? »

You softly smiled and promised. He the continued.

« It happened when I was young. I was 7. One day, I found a white bird in the street, lying down because of a broken wing. I took him and looked after him until he had completely recovered. I decided to name him Angel because his feathers and his broken wing reminded me of one. As days passed, I began to feel attached to him. Some kids made fun of me because of that, but I didn’t care, he was like a friend for me. I knew that one day I would have to let him go and be free. This day came a few weeks later. Since his wing was all right, I decided to release him, so I went on the top roof of a building and opened his cage. At first, he couldn’t fly, so he walked on the ground and tried to open his wings. » 

Listening to him narrating this story made you feel appeased. His voice and the way he talked were soft and warm, and you thought to yourself *When I see you like this, it’s rather you that remind me of an angel, D.O.*

 

« But suddenly, in the corner of my eye, I saw a black cat appearing from the quoin of the roof. Since he was walking towards my little bird and that I knew what he was going to do, I decided to protect him. So before he could lay a paw on him, I catch him and tried to take him away. Quickly my face and my hands were covered with scratches of blood, I remember that at that time, it really did hurt. But I was relieved that the bird had taken the occasion to fly away. When the cat ran away and that I turned my head, he was flying in the sky. It can sound stupid, but..I felt like I did something important. »

You cut him « It isn’t stupid. I find it very sweet and brave of you. Not everyone would stop to help a little bird like that, and certainly not protect him from a cat. » You really meant what you said and it must have reflected on your face cause D.O immediately believed you and smiled. 

« Th-thanks… » He said shyly « so, after that incident, I became afraid of cats. Whenever I see one, I remember the one I met and I’m scared of being hurt like before. » He admitted. 

« I understand, I know you won’t lose your fear in one day, but maybe with a little effort, you’ll be able to overcome it. So you have to make me a promise too, okay? Promise me to try to befriend with Hiji. » you raised your pinkie towards him. 

He looked at it a moment before sighing and reluctantly tightening it with his own. 

« Promise. » he told, with a pout. 

« Thanks D.O!! » you then stood up « Would you like to « meet » Hiji then? I’m sure he’ll be glad to meet you. »

« Now?! Err…I..well..o-okay…but not too close! » 

« Arasseo. » you went out of the room and came back a few seconds later with the black cat in your arms. At his sight, D.O stepped back. 

« Relax, I won’t come any closer. Just…just look at him. » Hiji was calmly staring at him, you could hear his purring and feel his warmth. *Aww, my Hiji is so cute, for me, he’s the most adorable thing in this world. I hope you’ll realize it soon too D.O.*

You stayed like this about three minutes when D.O spoke « I-I think it okay, now. C-can we stop? » His eyes were still a bit afraid but you could see he was more comfortable.

« Alright~ We can say it’s a big progress, neh? We’ll continue the « therapy » another day. » you joked. He smiled and nodded at you. You headed to the door and opened it.

« Woahh!! » you screamed. You had been scared because you had seen all the member’s faces when you opened it. In fact, they had been hiding behind it to know what you two were doing. 

« What are you doing here?! You really scared me! » you yelled.

Kai kicked Suho's knee as if he was saying « You’re the leader, you explain. » Suho gave him a look and turned to you shamefully. He scratched his head and talked.

« Well, huh..we just wanted to know what you were doing since it’s been a moment you were in there. Is..err…everything okay? » 

« Yes, yes. Everything’s fine now, so you don’t have to worry. » you then walked past them and went in your room. 

 

 

 

All the members eyes shifted towards D.O teasingly. 

« So.. » said Sehun « What were you doing in there? » He had a little smirk and D.O’s ears immediately became red when he understood what he was thinking of. 

« Yah! What are you imagining! » They all began to laugh except D.O. « Stop it! She j-just helped me..I-I told her about my fear..that’s all! Why are you all so…Argh! Nevermind! » he then laid on his bed and took a book to pretend to be reading. 

Sehun sat next to him and innocently said « Okay, and does anything else happened? » 

« Yah Sehun-ah!! » D.O hit him with the book and made him fall off the bed. Sehun protected himself with his arms and tried to speak.

« I didn’t mean it like that!! I asked this b-because she entered with her cat, so I was just wondering why! »

D.O stopped hitting him and paused. 

« Oh..this. Okay, let me explain what we did. » All the boys sat on the beds and on the floor and listened to him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

While D.O was explaining, you were at your computer finishing your dissertation. When you had done it, you printed it and put it in our backpack. 

« Done! I can relax now~ » you said while you were laying in your bed. *These boys are really special. I've lived with them since two days and it’s already making me go crazy. We have a sleepwalker one, one who’s afraid of cats..and I’m sure it’s nothing compared to what I’ll discover in the future. I have so much to think about these days; the school, the house, Hiji, and them…tomorrow I’ll receive the math test, and I’m sure it’ll be a disaster..my life is a mess.. * you were silently complaining when you heard noises downstairs. *What are they doing now?! Can’t I relax for five minutes?!!*

You headed downstairs and saw some of the books of the shelf on the roof. Chen and Tao were standing on the sofa holding pillows. You left an eyebrow that meant « What the devil is going on here? » 

Tao spoke « Huh…IT’S HIS FAULT! HE DOESN’T WANT TO LET ME WATCH MY PROGRAM! » he said while pointing at Chen. 

Chen tried to defend himself « NO! IT’S FALSE! IT’S HIM! » 

« You’re lying Gege!! » he told before throwing the pillow at him. Chen dodged and threw his too. It quickly became a pillow war and you were standing in the middle of it. 

« Yah!! Are you crazy?! » The others arrived, attracted by the screams. 

When you saw them, you thought they would do something to stop it but instead, they shouted « PILLOW WAR!!! » and joined. You were completely dumbfounded. *THERE ISN’T ONE NORMAL PERSON AMONG THEM! THEY’RE ALL CRAZY!* Pillows were flying here and there, over the heads. They were screaming and laughing and you really felt as if you were in the kindergarten. When you were about to shout again, you received a pillow hard on your head, which made you fall. They all suddenly stopped when they saw you on the roof. 

 Chanyeol, the one who had touched you, knelt next to you and asked «I’m sorry. Are you all right? » He was smiling. This boy was smiling. He had just thrown a pillow which made you fall to the ground hard on your , but he was smiling, as nothing happened. In fact, they had all calm faces, as if the hadn’t created a complete mess in your living room. You felt a big anger form in you and tried to hold it. You put a blank expression in your face and calmly stood up. 

Luhan had probably understood what you were thinking. « Oups…we’re going to have a bad time, guys. » The others didn’t understand him. *That’s right, Luhan. You’re really going to have a bad time.* you secretly thought. You opened the glass doors who lead to the garden and, without any expression, said « Get out. » 

They stared at you curiously « Uh, what? » 

« Get out. » you repeated.

They looked at each other and went out one after the other. The last was Luhan who stopped at the door and looked at you. 

« You too Luhan. » He sighed and stepped out too. After him, you locked the glass doors. You saw their expressions change suddenly. Their calm faces became chocked faces. They quickly ran to the doors and tried to open it, but failed. You saw Xiumin’s mouth moving but couln’t hear anything since the house was quite soundproof. You could tell he was shouting something desperately and it ligthly made you smile. You leaned towards the glass and made gestures with your hands to show you could’t hear anything. 

« What? » you said teasingly « I can’t hear~ » 

They tried to shout louder but you repeated the same thing. You then took a paper and a pen and wrote something before showing them. It was written:

~ SORRY BUT MONKEYS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THIS HOUSE. TRANSFORM TO HUMANS OR LIVE IN THE GARDEN. ~

They all stared at you with their mouths wide open. You waved cutely at them and then went in the kitchen to prepare dinner. 

 

 

 

 

 

« NO NO! DON’T GO! PLEASE DON’T GOOO! » 

« She can’t hear you Xiumin! Stop screaming! » told Kris.

« But..but..I don’t want to sleep in the garden.. »

« I don’t think she’ll let us sleep in the garden. It’s just a kind of warning. » *I hope that’s it*

Xiumin was a bit reinsured. The group sat on the grass in circle. 

« But… » started Beakhyun « It was cool, neh? The pillow war. » 

« Sure it was! » they all admitted, laughing. 

Lay laid on the ground and stared at the sky « Fortunately it’s summer. Be happy it isn’t Winter, cause we would certainly freeze. » he told jokingly, which made everyone laugh harder. 

 

The boys stayed there until about 7PM. After making dinner, you peeked at them and saw them sitting like this, smiling and talking. You began to feel bad *They’re cute sitting in circle like that. Maybe I didn't have to do that. Was I too mean? What they did wasn’t so bad..And they’re my guests, I have to..er..take care of them?* You headed towards the glass doors with a paper in your hands. You knocked to attract their attention. When they saw you, they jumped joyfully and ran towards you. You showed them the paper and they read:

~ARE WE GOOD?~

They all smiled widely and put their thumb up. You opened the door to let them in and spoke: « Look..I’m sorry to have done that.. »

« You don’t have to apologize, Sun. I should be the one saying sorry. » told Chanyeol « I hope I didn’t hurt you. »

« Oh! No! Don’t worry, I’m fine…wait..Sun? » 

« Yeah, err..it came to me while we were in the garden under the sun. You name finish by « Sun » so…but if it bothers you I can-» 

« No! It’s okay! I..err..I’m just not used to hear it, but it doesn’t really bother me.. » 

« Cool! I’ll call you « Sun » from now on then. » he said with a bright smile. 

Kris spoke «  And we’re sorry for our behavior too. Can we forgot all of this? » and he stretched his hand. 

« Of course! » you squeezed yours with his hand. The contact provoked an electric shock in you. You quickly took off your hand and stammered. 

« O-okay! So…who’s hungry? » 

« MEEEE! » shouted Sehun, Tao, Beakhyun and Chen before running in the kitchen. 

You smiled at their crazy but cute behaviour and the rest of you followed them.