Chapter Seven

A Piece of Life

 

Ever since my new schedule I have only been focusing on my acting classes. When Amber didn’t see me anymore in her class I just told her my schedule changed, which it did. But I never told her in a month time I’ll be filming the new sitcom. I don’t know if it was the right choice to hide this piece of information from her but every time we see each other I just want to drown in the sweetness that we get to share. I don’t want to talk about my debut nor do I want to talk about what’s going to happen after I debut. But even if I purposely not mention about it Amber just had to initiate the topic.

I was at her place after my classes. We decide to spend the night together since we spent lesser time together. I was usually all worn out from school and practice that I didn’t even have the energy to spend time with Amber. And today I even made an excuse to mum that I’m sleeping over at a friend’s place just so I can spend time with her. I still remember mum gave me a questioning look like she don’t believe it’s a friend that I’m sleeping over at but at the end I did sort of convinced her that it’s really a friend. I know what she’s thinking at first, must be thinking I’m sleeping over at my so-called boyfriend’s place.

We were cuddling on the couch in front of the TV watching some kind of American movie that is airing with Korean subtitles on the bottom. It wasn’t exactly a really interesting movie just that it happens to be in English that caught our attention.

“So… anything new about your debut?”

My body suddenly tenses up from her sudden question. I didn’t immediately answer her back and was still debating whether I should spill the truth or continue to hide the news from her. And I choose to hide it.

“Not really. I guess they are still preparing for it.” Sorry, I lied.

“Okay.” She said and she put her focus back on the English movie. I felt relief that she didn’t felt any suspicious in my lie. Feeling guilt, all of the sudden I spun myself around, straddling onto her lap and dive in capturing her lips. She immediately responds back. Our lips locked, deepening the kiss. I felt her hands slowly slide down from my wait to my bottom. Gently placing her hand there. When we both parted we quickly gasp for air.

“What was that for?” She had a grin on her face.

“I just felt like kissing you.” I said and smiled. We locked eyes and I kept staring at her facial feature mesmerized by her good looks. My index finger traces her eyebrow.

“Why are you so good looking?” I suddenly said almost in a whisper tone and all I heard was a chuckling reply. My finger then traces her nose and finally her lips.

“Your lips…” I kiss her lips lightly as I mumble. “…Is so kissable.”  And then I deepen the kiss again. I can feel the big smile pasted on her face as she respond to my kiss.

 

 

 

The month went by so fast that it’s coming to the day I’ll be starting my ever first filming day with the crew. I became even busier when I received my first ever script. During the month Junho and my teacher helped me a lot getting me prepare for the debut. Ten episodes of the sitcom script has release and given. The moment I grab the script from Junho a little excitement grew but also feel worry. I was so eager to read the script that I spent the entire night reading it not caring about sleeping. And I end up having panda eyes the next morning.

‘More charming by the day’ was the name of the sitcom and Soojung, my real name is also the name of my character. While reading the script I’ve discover that the role is very similar to myself. Not wonder director Lee said I’m like a live version of the character he created.

 

It was my first day of the filming. I went to the set with my manager and politely greeting every single staff and actor and actress. Although I don’t have many parts in this episode but I still feel excited and nervous.

I changed into the clothing that was provided by the production team – a high school sailor uniform and that was my clothing for the entire episode. I was really nervous as I kept reading the script while waiting for my filming parts. I just couldn’t calm myself down.

When I heard one of the staff screaming my name for me to get ready I mentally jumped. I sweated without doing anything, I put my script down and took a few deep breathe in to calm myself. Just do it like you practiced. I had a few NGs but overall the director said I was superb as a newcomer, my facial expressions were really funny and to the point. Instantly I got a boost of confident in my own acting for the rest of the filming day.

 

 

 

I tiredly ended another day of school and filming. I grabbed my own things, bowing to everyone giving them my polite goodbyes. I had filmed the sitcom for three days already and I can feel my aching body. I didn’t think being an actress could be this tiring on the third day. But nothing matters when I get to see myself in the sitcom. A smile form as I heard from Director Lee that tonight going to air my first episode. On the way home I receive a text message from Amber.

 

    Want to come over to my place tonight? I miss you so much.

 

Reading the text message I miss the boyish girl so much. I’ve been busy with school, classes and filming that I didn’t even get to see her nor do I have the time to talk to her on the phone. Whenever I came back from a tired day I just take a shower and then sleep without even doing anything else. I miss her smile, her touch and her warmth. I quickly type in an “OK” before pressing the send button. I’m tried but I miss her awfully. But I suddenly remember she doesn’t even know I started the filming and it bothered me a bit. I sighed, should I tell her the truth? She’s going to know anyways. With that in mind I decide to tell her instead of having her finding out herself which is worst.

I quickly text message mum telling her I’m staying at a friend’s place tonight. I was glad that there was no question about who this ‘friend’ was. I took the bus and came to Amber’s place. Along the way I was still thinking how I should tell her hoping she won’t be thinking of breaking up again. I walk to the very familiar place and press the button of the doorbell. Having to wait for seconds the door opens revealing the face that I missed.

I walk in normally and when I heard the door click I quickly turn around jumping onto the person I miss the most. I kiss her senselessly and she returns it back with the same passionate. I guess we both miss each other equally.

“Let me have a good look at my busy girl.” She jokingly said once we parted.  She cups my cheeks as she stared into my face making me blush. “You’ve lost weight.” She stated. I got to admit, I did lose some weight for not being able to eat properly and on time.

“Don’t worry I’m cooking tonight so you better eat a lot.” She released me and went over to the kitchen. Amber is cooking? I was shock because I never heard from her that she could even cook. For the many times I’ve been to her place all I saw was instant food in her fridge and cupboard. Being the curious me I follow Amber to the kitchen hoping to find the foods are edible. To my surprise the smell of whatever she’s cooking smell really delicious. She turns around bringing two plates to the dinner table. I peek over and it was two plates of spaghetti that looks edible.

“Just sit still and I’ll get the rest out.” Amber guided me to sit on the chair. I sat down and stare at her back busily fussing around in the kitchen. She brought out many Korean side dishes and places them on the table – spaghetti with Korean side dishes together? I look at her weirdly at what she brought out.

“What? It’s fusion. Fusion.”

I chuckled but nevertheless I grab the fork and dig in the spaghetti. Surprisingly it tastes very delicious. My head shot up after swallowing it down.

“So? How does it taste?” She asks eagerly.

“It’s delicious!” My eyes lit up from the taste and quickly dig another mouthful. Amber chuckled as she puts a piece of kimichi in . We finished eating dinner with a filled stomach, Amber cleaned the dishes and I offered to help out. But it looked like we were having a water fight more than washing the dishes.

I look at the clock hanging on the wall to find that there’s only two minutes left until my sitcom will broadcast. Amber already sat herself in front of the TV and switches it on.

“There’s this sitcom that I’ve been following these days.”

I panicked a little knowing that it’s the sitcom I acted. I ran over to the couch and sat beside Amber. My heart raced. Soojung go tell her or it’s too late! I kept debating but it was too late when my face showed up on the TV.

“Soojung, is that you?” Amber pointed to the screen. I sighed and nodded.

“How come you didn’t tell me about it?” She doesn’t sound angry but definitely sound a little upset for not knowing despite she’s my girlfriend.

“I’m sorry. I’m just scared that you’ll suggest a break up again knowing that I debuted.” I explained hoping that she will forgive me.

She didn’t say anything and I thought I’m doomed – she must be very upset.  But instead she pulled me into a tight hug.

“You’re so silly.” She laughed.

Feeling her tight hug and hearing her laughter I immediately felt relief.

“I won’t break up with you unless you say so, okay?” We parted and I can see the smile on her face.

“So… you’re not angry?” I asked, still not sure. And she shook her head.

“Don’t worry I willnever break up with you.” I smiled and kiss her lips.

We then enjoy the sitcom cuddling together on the couch. The space between us filled with laughter while watching the sitcom.

“Soojung you’re great! Your expressions are really funny.” Amber compliment after the episode has finished. I kissed the girl again feeling all giddy inside from the first compliment I got.

“So tonight you better tell me everything that I missed out on while you filmed your sitcom.” She pinched my nose like I’m some kind of child.

“Well if you would carry me to your bed and let me cuddle in your arms then I’ll think about it.” I joked and the next second I felt her picking me up in her two arms. I yelped at the sudden move and she speed to her bedroom dropping me onto her bed. I giggled when I felt her body crushing on me. We made out a little before we cuddle together and I told her everything that’s interesting happened during the filming.

 

 

 

I continued to film my sitcom and keeping my relationship with Amber. Ever since the episode I was in I received great responses from the audiences. The media began to take notice of this new debut actress and I even found articles about Krystal Jung on the Internet. I must admit it felt great being recognized when I’m on the street going to school or somewhere. A boy even asked for my autograph while I was on the way to the company.

But balancing with studies, trainings and filming was beginning to be difficult when I had to add in the time to spend with Amber. Although Amber had told me she wouldn’t mind not spending the time with her if I’m busy but it’s not her but me who misses her so badly.

 

It was a rare day on the weekend that I had no acting classes and no filming. It felt especially great that I get to sleep in a little. I woke up around eleven o’clock and went to wash up. By the time I left the bathroom it was already half past eleven. I sent Amber a text message asking if she want to have brunch with me. Instantly I got a reply back telling me to meet her at Myeongdong. I then went and change into my usual casual clothing, mini shorts and tee with a cap this time. I’m not much of a hat person but I thought I should wear one to cover my face a little. After all I am an actress.

“Soojung are you hungry?” Mum asks as I walk towards the door.

“I’m going out to eat with a friend. By the way I’ll be home late.” I shouted while putting on my sandals and hurriedly out the door. I just can’t wait to see my Amber we haven’t seen each other for five days as the last five days I’ve been extremely busy since there was exams.

I got to Myeongdong, the place where we agree to meet. From afar I saw her back, all of a sudden I want to give her a surprise and I did by jumping onto her.

“Soojung you scared me.” She startled and I laughed at her priceless face.

I calm myself down and link my arms around hers pulling her to a restaurant. “Come on let’s go I’m hungry.” She didn’t protest at all and let me drag her around the street.

We walk in a random western restaurant and instantly I feel the waitress giving me a weird look. We sat down at the corner and I took my cap off. Amber helped me fix my messy hair and I just love it how she naturally does it without needing me to ask. I grab the menu from the table looking at what type of food I want to eat.

I raise my hand giving a signal to the waitress to come over and take my order.

“I’ll get a beef salad and the chicken and cheese mini pizza and I’ll just have water for the drinks. Thank you.” The waitress wrote down the order but she kept glancing over at me.

“Amber what do you want?”

“I’ll have a chicken pasta and lemon tea please.” While Amber was ordering I can see that the waitress has avert her attention to Amber and was staring at her.

After ordering the waitress left and I just couldn’t help but to give the boyish girl a smirk.

“Did you see that? That waitress was staring at you.” I teased.

“What do you mean? She was staring at you, the big star Krystal Jung.” She teases me back.

We continue teasing each other until our food arrived. Before leaving the waitress turns back to face us.

“Excuse me but are you Krystal Jung?” The waitress asks with a little excitement. I look over at Amber and shyly nodded. The waitress covered with her hand stopping herself from squealing at her work place.

“Oh my god you’re really pretty in person. Can I take a photo with you?”

I blushed a little at hearing her compliment but her facial expression changed when hearing my reply. “Sorry I can’t take photos without my manager’s permission.” I told her as to what I was told by Junho. She showed a really disappointing look and I just can’t bare it. “But I can give you my autograph.” I said hoping this will cheer the girl up. A smile immediately light up and she took out the booklet for writing down orders handing it to me. I took the pen and booklet and before scribbling my autograph I ask for the girl’s name. The waitress was really happy when she received my autograph and that was the first time that my autograph put a smile on a person. The waitress left to do her things leaving us to enjoy our meal.

“Can I also have your autograph please?” Amber imitated a girly voice. I chuckled and lightly hit her arm. I lean in close to her ear and whispered.

“I can give you a kiss instead.” She immediately stops teasing me with her girly voice and start digging in the food. I can feel my stomach growling that I gave up the tease. If we weren’t in a public place I would have kiss her lips to shut her up. We both ate with little amount of conversation happening – I guess only food can shut us up. We finished eating in a quick speed and paid the bill. After being recognised in the restaurant Amber didn’t allow me to link our arms together afraid people might start a rumour between us. So we had to walk side by side with a distance apart but from time to time I would accidentally brush my hand against hers.

I couldn’t really stand not being able to touch her and hold her hand. So when we walk pass the cinema I quickly drag her in. We waited in the line and randomly brought two movie tickets. I couldn’t remember the name of the movie but all I know it’s a comedy romance American movie. Inside the cinema I connect my hands to Amber’s and drag her to the back row. In this darkness and being seated at the back I assume nobody will notice us. I pull the hand rest up so that I could cuddle in Amber’s arms. We watched the movie together while cuddling each other.