The Umbrella

Miracle

*Sign Language*

‘Text message or typing on Ipad/phone’

“Speaking Out loud”

Your POV

I wake up to find that my mother had let herself into my home again. I walk out of my room to see that my violin is still lying on the island in my counter from last night.

I see my best friend, Mai, hovering over my kitchen probably cooking me something to eat even when it’s unneeded.

I tap my counter to get her attention but it doesn’t work. I see that she has her headphones in. I sigh and pick an orange off of my island counter and throw it by her head hitting the cupboard next to her head causing her to jump.

She looks at me and yells, “Myunghee what have I told you about that?’

*Yeah and what have I told you about headphones in my home.*

“I’m sorry sweetie I thought I’d drop by to see how your appointment yesterday?’

*Fine I met someone though he’s supposed to be famous.*

“Really did you catch his name?”

I nod and write down on my Ipad, ‘Lee Gi Kwang, I believe he said his name was.’

She starts screaming, “Oh my god you met Kikwang from Beast!”

I nod slightly confused, *Yea I did and he was trying to hit on me I think?*

She squeals again, “Oh my god that’s huge. Is it because you listen to more classic music, only instruments?”

I nod a bit confused, *Huh what do you mean?*

“I mean that he hit on you and I bet you were like who the hell are you?’

I nod as I look up at her smiling sheepishly, *Yeah in some way I kind of did.*

She shakes her head as she looks at me, “Myunghee, you should know better.”

I shrug, *Mai you know you don’t have to come here to make me breakfast I can make it on my own.*

“I know you can I just like being able to see you since you quit working at the company we all miss you.”

*That is a lie they all hated my guts.*

“That’s a lie and we both know it sure you worked the hardest even though some of the things you did wasn't your job.”

I nod, *If they find a job for me sometime then I’m fine with what I have.*

“Working in a school for deaf kids you were lucky to even find that job!”

*I know but I enjoy it a lot. I can teach them so much about everything thing.*

“Are you sure you're not faking losing your voice sometimes?”

Right away I don’t care what she was doing I picked up another orange and chucked it at her.

*How can you say that to me? You’ve known me since we were kids for crying out loud!*

I just keep throwing them at her until she leaves my apartment.

I lean against the wall and silently cry wishing she was right and I was just faking it, but she’s not right. I have tried to speak and have tried to sing along with songs that I love yet nothing ever comes out.

I look at the time to see that it's 10am and its my lucky day it’s a Sunday so I don’t have to go into work. I decide to walk to the hospital since I have nothing better to do today.

I slip into a pair of running pants and throw on a Nike running shirt. I find my tennis shoes and slip them on as I slip out of my door locking it behind me. I slip my keys into the pocket of my backpack.

I walk to the elevator to see my neighbor Junhyung.

I wave to him and he looks over smiling, “Myunghee, how are you?”

I’m glad I taught Junhyung some sign language when I sign, *I’m good. How about you?*

“I’m good. It’s weird though… you went to the hospital yesterday, right?”

I nod.

“Did you meet someone yesterday?”

*Yeah I did! How did you know that?*

“Was his name Lee Gi Kwang?”

I nod my head and sign, *How do you know him?*

“I’m going to guess on this one and say he’s in the same band as me?”

I take off my bag and take out my Ipad, ‘Really? The band’s name is Beast right. I think that’s what he told me.

He nods, “Was he trying to impress you?”

I shrug, ‘Maybe I kind of went who the heck are you and all my smart mouthy self.

He laughs as he walks into the elevator pulling me in, “Wow that’s such a you thing to do?

I pout ignoring him for the rest of the ride down the elevator; still I’m someone who loves conversation. I tap his shoulder he looks my way.

*Are you happy?*

“In my love life yes I’m happy with my girlfriend. I love her a lot that’s why we have that apartment for alone time.”

I laugh like a mime wishing to hear my own laugh once again; still I know nothing will come out.

I look outside and smile when I feel that it’s a nice day out. I go to walk towards the hospital but Junhyung stops me.

“Where are you going?”

*Hospital.*

“Why the hospital?”

I jump up and down inside glad that he knows what I signed still I shrug and pull my bag more on my shoulder.

“Wait if I recall Kikwang loaned you his umbrella…. So you must be returning it to him.”

When he makes it seem like he made the biggest discovering since the Americas I simply roll my eyes and walk away from him.

I make it to the hospital not even sweating from the heat. I smile when I walk in everyone waves to me and I wave back. I come in on Sunday’s to teach kids who just lost their voices how to sign and that there is hope.

When I see Kikwang shaking hands with a doctor I wait around the corner when he comes around it I tap his shoulder scaring him.

“Oh it’s just you,” he says while he holds a hand to his chest.

What did you expect a stalker or a crazy fan girl?

I nod as I pull out the umbrella and hand it to him. He smiles as he takes it from me.

I smile as well and pull out my Ipad, ‘I listened to some of your bands songs last night. They weren’t half that bad.

“Thank you... Wait half that bad?”

I start laughing as him and smile kindly, ‘Sorry it’s just I only listened to a few songs so I can’t say if you guys are a good band or not.

He nods and goes to walk away but he turns back to me, “Do you come here often?”

Yes, every Sunday and every other week I stay here.

“How do you pay for bills?”

‘Another time it looks like someone is here to get you.’

He turns around and I simply walk away trying not to feel guilty about just leaving him there.