Ex-Boyfriend

How the Day Met the Night

It took two days before he received a call from Kyuhyun. He was waiting for one, but not really, he had only wished Kyuhyun was trusting him enough to talk about his ex-boyfriend, or at least tell him if he was okay. He was working on his computer on a personnal project before going to sleep, like he was sometimes doing when he was too tired to play the online game, his cellphone next to his bed since he was charging it. It started to vibrate on the small table, making Zhou Mi turn around after the second time, his headphones making him miss the first time. He jumped on his cellphone, realising he might lose the call. It was so rare for him to have a phonecall, even more at this hour, he didn't want to miss it!

 

 

He opened his cellphone and placed it against his ear. He had fall while trying to get his phone, his foot getting caught in his pants. He used the bed to help himself standing up, answering.

 

-Hello?

-Zhou Mi?

-Oh, hi, Kui Xian! Wait a second, please.

 

He sat on his bed and took his ankle, massaging it a few seconds before putting back the phone against his ear.

 

-You're okay? What happened?

-I fell on the ground, nothing bad. I thought I would miss the call and tripped, he added, laughing softly. What's up?

-Are you free tomorrow?

-Euhm...I don't know, let me check.

 

He stood up and went to his desk, took his agenda and looked inside. He remembered having something to do, but it slipped out of his mind while he was working, so he just wanted to be sure it wasn't something really important before saying yes.

 

-I'm working tomorrow morning until noon, so if it is after that, I'm free.

-Awesome! I need your help.

-What's going on?

-I need someone to help me out, a small job in the café we went. It will take max an hour, and I don't have anyone else to ask. It won't take long...and sorry that I call only to ask something, I was caught up into it for two days.

-Don't worry. I'll gladly help, I'll write it down to be sure. What is the job?

-Hanging new decorations. I'm working there part time and no one else is free to help me out. You'll be paid, of course.

-I would have helped even without the money, you know.

-I insist, I know you must have a lot of things to do, you start school again next week, right?

-Yah, I'm surprised you remembered, I talked about it before we even met.

 

He heard Kyuhyun laugh. He smiled.

 

-I'll go at the café as fast as I will be able to go.

-Thank you! I really owe you one! Beside that, how are you doing?

 

The conversation shifted to a more casual conversation, talking about their lives and what they were doing earlier that day. Kyuhyun talked the most, this time, talking about what happened in the café, the clients and the staff, making Zhou Mi laugh and smile. The conversation lasted an hour, Kyuhyun cutting it short since he knew Zhou Mi had to get up early. He thanked the chinese man again for his help and for his time, wishing him a good night. Zhou Mi closed his phone after saying ''Goodbye'', plugged it again to charge it. He was in his bed a few minutes later, his alarm on, falling asleep almost imediatly.

 

If only waking up was that easy.

 

One leg at the time, almost letting himself fall on the floor, Zhou Mi woke up, tired. Maybe staying up that late everyday wasn't so good for him. Without coffee, he ment. He stood up, half asleep, dragging himself to the fridge to take out some orange juice to start the day. He had an hour before having to go to work, enough to wake himself up and relax a little.

 

His work was tiring, but enjoyable. At least, he wasn't sitting all day, he was running around, giving messages and helping around until noon, when he finally was able to leave the hospital, going for the subway. Kyuhyun was probably already to the café, waiting for him.

 

It may sound weird, but he was actually glad that LadyDal was a man. He didn't had to deal with girls, not that he hated girls, but since he said he had broken up with his boyfriend, if he had been a girl, Mi would have to deal with it and try to confort her, like it happened so many times. Most of the times, the girl would have a crush on him and he would have to explain for the thousand time he was gay and didn't plan on dating girls. He would end up losing lots of friends because he would refuse to go out with the girl, which only caused him to seclude himself from others even more.

 

That was totally out of the subject.

 

He walked out of the subway, going to the small café. He entered and looked around for Kyuhyun, this time. He saw him waving at him, showing him to come with him behind the counter. Zhou Mi smiled at the cashier and went to the other side. He could understand why Kyuhyun needed help : the café was filled with people, the employees were so busy, Mi was actually surprised that Kyuhyun was the one placing the decorations, he thought the others could use an hand. He followed him in the backstore, a little uneasy.

 

Kyuhyun showed him a box filles with small accessories.

 

-Those have to be placed exactly like it is said on the instructions in the box, on the shelfs behind the employees. It's going to take a while and we will have to wait for the shop to be a little less full.

-Sure. Can I see the instructions?

-Yah, there you go!

 

Kyuhyun gave him the sheet of paper, smiling. He then took two boxes and invited him to sit, since they had to wait a unkown amount of time before actually starting.

 

-I see why it's going to take a while...Even the ceiling?

-Yah, it has to be the same in every shop. Thanks again for coming.

-My pleasure.

-How was it at work?

 

They talked until a employee went to see them and told them there wasn't a lot of clients now, the perfect time to do their things. Kyuhyun nodded and said to Mi he would have to finish his story later, since they had to go to work. They started with the shelfs, the less complicated part of the job, Kyuhyun placing everything while Zhou Mi was making sure everything was perfect. At some point, Kyuhyun looked at the big windows at the front of the café and suddenly dive to the ground, hiding under the counter.

 

-I'm not there, said Kyuhyun, almost scared.

-Wha...

-Euhm, sorry?

 

Zhou Mi was behind the counter, Kyuhyun only a few steps from him, hidden. He lift his eyes, greeting the client with a smile. The client was smiling, cute looking, even if he was a grown up man. He had that childish smile that was making the chinese man smile even more. He was cute.

 

-I'm sorry to bother you, is Kyuhyun here?

-Ehm...No, sorry.

-Oh, okay. If you see him, can you say I passed by?

-Sure...

-I'm Sungmin. Just say my name, he'll know.

-Okay, sure. I'll tell him.

-Thank you.

 

Sungmin bow and walked out, looking a little sad. Kyuhyun peeked, hiding half of his face with the counter.

 

-Who was it, Kui Xian?

-...My ex-boyfriend...

-Didn't he broke up with you?

-Yah...

 

Kyuhyun looked at Mi and smiled sadly.

 

-He forgot some of his things to my house. I guess he wants to come over and take them, but...I'm just not ready to face him yet.

 

He stood up, cleaning up his pants. He had a serious face, looking down, playing with one of the decorations. He suddenly smiled and shrug his shoulders.

 

-It's nothing, I'll get over it.

-Wanna see a movie after this?

-Uh?

 

Zhou Mi took one of the decorations and placed it on a shelf, the higher one, before turning his head with a bright smile.

 

-Wanna see a movie with me after this? I never had the time to go to the theater because of school. My friend is always busy and I don't want to go there alone.

 

Of course, Kyuhyun wasn't an idiot. He understood immediately what Zhou Mi was doing, he wanted to change his mind and make him forget about his ex-boyfriend by making him go out. He nodded, sincerely happier now.

 

-Yah, sure!

 

They finished placing all the decorations around the café, said goodbye to the other employees and left, going to the theater. It surprised Mi how the other employees were really respectful toward Kyuhyun or around him, but the second he wasn't around, they would joke more and laugh more. The maknae probably read the questions he had from his expressions because he answered before Mi had even the time to ask anything :

 

-It doesn't look like it, but I am the son of the owners of this compagnie.

-Your parents own those cafés?

-Yup! That's why they are so respectful, they think I have control over who will get a raise or something. I don't have any control, I'm working part time there only because my parents want me to earn my money, not only getting it from them.

-So you are rich? That's cool!

-It's cool at first...

 

Zhou Mi grabbed Kyuhyun's shoulder, trying to confort him.

 

-Sungmin never really liked it. I think he thought he owed me something everytime I would buy him something. I bought him lots of gifts, but he never really looked happy. He always said I was playing too much with my games and not giving him enough attention, though I was pretty much playing only when he wasn't able to meet me.

 

The chinese man listen to the story. Kyuhyun needed to talk and it just happened that seeing his ex had made all his memories with him come back in the same time, which was a little too much for his broken heart.

 

Sungmin and Kyuhyun had met in secondary school. Sungmin was one year older, so the same age as Zhou Mi, and was really a popular guy, like the maknae, since he was so cute and sweet. They started to date a few months after becoming friends, and their relation lasted until a few weeks ago, when Sungmin said he wasn't able to handle the distance and the lack of time they had for each other. Their four years of dating had just ended and it was still a shock for Kyuhyun.

 

Zhou Mi stayed silent. He had nothing to say, and having helped so many girls with their love affairs, he knew he didn't need to say a word, his presence and ear was enough. They went in the theater and watched a comedy. When they got out, the maknae had his smile back and was acting like nothing had happened.

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------

Hey :33

I have not a lot of time to write, I'm feeling relieved I have a big part done. So yeah, I hope you like it so far :33