Don't Grow Roots

How the Day Met the Night

He came back to his appartment, his head heavy because of the little lack of sleep and the tons of things he had to learn in four hours. He unlocked his door and pushed his door, almost forgetting that Kyuhyun had stay over. He peeked through the crack of the door and looked inside, almost thinking that it would be a mess, but no, everything was cleaned up and Kyuhyun was on the computer, with his headphones on.

 

 

He sneeked up behind Kyuhyun, looking at what he was doing. He shouldn't even be surprised of seeing him play the videogame that let them meet, since he was playing so much. He touched softly his shoulder, making the gamer jump of fear and turning his head quickly. He took off his headphones and grunt, Zhou Mi laughing, almost cut in two.

 

-Yeah, really funny, Mi.

-You should've seen your face!

-Haha, I'm am laughing so much right now...

 

He stood up, closing the game without caring about the quest he was doing. Zhou Mi threw his bag on his bed, then walked to his wanna-be kitchen and grabbed some food, hungry. It wasn't like he ate that much that morning, and four hours of theorical classes weren't that nice on his stomach either. He made himself some packed ramen, grabbed a bowl and turned toward Kyuhyun, still smiling.

 

-Want some?

-Please, and thank you.

 

Zhou Mi made a second pack of pre-made ramen and took a second bowl, waiting for the water to be hot enough to be pour on the dried noodles. He gave one bowl to Kyuhyun, took out some chopsticks before turning his head toward his guest.

 

-I can eat with chopsticks, if that's what you are wondering about.

-It's not like it was really commun around here to eat with some, answered Zhou Mi.

 

He gave a pair of chopsticks to Kyuhyun and went toward the table, already starting to eat even before he had reached his chair, putting his bowl on the table and went for his bag, already planing to do his homeworks, or at least see what he had to do for the next day. Kyuhyun sat on the chair in front of the one Zhou Mi was going back to, noodles half in his mouth, smirking. He watched Zhou Mi taking his agenda out and looking at what he had to do with a concentrated look.

 

-Tell me if I'm bothering you.

-Sorry, Kui Xian, I'm just making sure I won't have to stay up until one in the morning to finish everything.

-Didn't you do most already?

-Almost. I have...readings to do and annotations, that's not going to be too bad.

-That's cool, I guess.

 

Kyuhyun looked at Zhou Mi writting some notes in his agenda before closing it up and putting it back in his backbag, making sure he had what he needed in there. He then took back his chopsticks and started eating again, looking back at Kyuhyun who was smiling.

 

-Sup, said Zhou Mi before eating some of his ramen.

-Always so busy?

-Always. This week is a easy one.

-Lucky I'm not in your place.

-You wouldn't have time to play that much.

-I am doing homework at the same time...

 

He smiled before drinking the broth of the ramen. It took all Zhou Mi's will to take his eyes off Kyuhyun's neck as his Adam's apple moved as he was drinking, only smiling as he watched his friend wipe his mouth with his hand, trying not to stare. Zhou Mi's heart was going faster, though he wasn't sure why, lowering his eyes on his bowl as he continued eating. Kyuhyun pushed the bowl aside and lay on the table, still smiling, looking at Mi eating.

 

-Thanks for letting me stay and steal your food.

-Pleasure. Don't make it an habit, though, not like Henry.

 

They both smiled, Kyuhyun almost looking like he was going to fall asleep on the table as his eyes were half closed, his smile almost looking like the one of an angel. In Zhou Mi's mind, anyway. He imitated him, to clear his mind from that beautiful picture, and smiled back.

 

-You plan on sleeping more? You may grow some roots if you stay like this too long.

-It'd be more interesting than going back to school tomorrow.

-Suit yourself, but I'm warning you, you can't stay here forever, I have homeworks to do.

 

He lay his head on his arm, his smile showing his teeth.

 

-Unless watching me doing them is entertaining.

-I get the message. I think I invaded your privacy long enough. See you around.

-You can come around tomorrow if you want, grab some beer or something. Grow some roots, whatever.

-Yeah, sure, I'll a become a tree, it is still better than school.

 

Zhou Mi started to laugh. Kyuhyun stood up, took his bag and went in the bathroom, since he was still in his pajama. It made Zhou Mi sigh. He never though it could be so hard to be in the same room as a guy before, he never had that problem with Henry. Maybe because there was a chance that Kyuhyun ends up in his bed? He stared at his half done bed and sigh again. He hoped it wouldn't, it would be a waste of friendship. He stoop up and grabbed the bowls, putting them in the sink. He would do the dishes later. Right now, he needed to take a cold shower and change his mind, maybe thinking about a one-night to make him forget about those thoughts about Kyuhyun...

 

He came out of the bathroom, all dressed, smirking, and waved at Zhou Mi while going to the door.

 

-Grab some root beer on your way tomorrow, added Zhou Mi, smiling.

-What?

 

Kyuhyun turned around, on the verge of breaking out laughing, before turning the knob and going out, doing a kind of creepy smile while the door closed in front of him. Zhou Mi stared at the door for some time, wondering if he would suddenly come back and do some crappy joke about trees or something, but he didn't. It still took a little while before the medical student realised and stood up to lock the front door. It took only seconds before he was in the shower, in cold water, his face up to the ceiling, eyes closed, trying to get the y image of Kyuhyun out of his head. That was really getting to him, it was actually hard to forget, since his brain thought it was hilarious to show him the image of Kyuhyun wiping his lips with his hand, with that litle smirk, in slow motion, like some kind of y scene from a movie. The cold water was helping a little, but not that much. Why was Kyuhyun so caught up in his head, seriously? He'd be happy to know and do something about it.

 

He went out of the shower and stared at himself in the mirror. He looked at his face, hair, part of his chest, and couldn't stop wondering how he was able to get himself in so many messed up situations. Yeah, he was good looking, people weren't usually looking away, and he had a nice personnality, like people likes to remind him, so how is it he had the worst luck of all time, always getting himself in impossible situation, and still staying single for almost three years, only sleeping with guys without real interest other than for the . His last real relationship ended...yeah anyway. He didn't try stop himself from dating, but all the girls were making it hard to go around guys and try something real again.

 

But there wasn't any girl around now, and he had to admit that sometimes, he felt lonely.

 

Like at that moment, alone, staring at himself like a lost soul. He sighed again and walked out of the bathroom, only wearing a towel. It was not like there was someone else in there to be bothered by it anyway, though he still peeked out. Life didn't found it interesting to put someone there for the hell of it. He walked out, exchanging his towel for some short boxer and pants.

 

Someone knocked at the door.

 

-Hi Kui Xian.

-I...forgot my cellphone.

 

Zhou Mi let the younger man enter, get his cellphone and go out, a sorry smile on his face.

 

-Sorry to bother while you take a shower.

-I just got out, so no worries.

-Wait, you got something there...

-Where?

 

Kyuhyun put his hands in Zhou Mi's wet hair and shook it up, messing around with his friend's hairstyle, laughing as Zhou Mi back off, laughing as much, trying to get his hair back to normal.

 

-Now that I have messed up your hair, I will go and continue my evil conquest of destroying hairstyles!

 

He half-closed the door, smirked and wished him a good afternoon and evening before leaving, his footsteps echooing in the corridor. Zhou Mi placed his hair a little more before sitting on his bed, taking out his texts to read.

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

Henry had just finished working, putting his violin in his case, in the backstage of the small scene of the restaurant. He had his bag on his back, case in hand, his head still heavy and back still sore because of the night in Zhou Mi's appartment. It was late, he had work a long time that day and he just wanted to go home and sleep. He just didn't expect Kyuhyun to be next to the backstage door, sitting on the floor, his cellphone in his hands like it was something precious.

 

-What's up, said Henry, making Kyuhyun jump.

-I'm stupid.

-You just realised?

 

He was able to avoid Kyuhyun's kick, backing off a few steps. Henry waited for his friend's eyes to stop throwing fire before sitting down next to him, in a more serious state.

 

-What's up, then?

-...Love is confusing.

-Always been. Mind being more precise?

 

Kyuhyun looked at the musician a moment, judging his ability to keep his mouth shut before finally saying what was in his mind, in a way.

 

-I think I still love Sungmin, but I'm not so sure anymore...I've seen him from afar a few times and it doesn't feel like it was before.

-You're getting over him, then.

-Yeah...but...

-Let me guess, there is someone else.

-If you know the story, I can shut up, said Kyuhyun, a little angry.

-No no, sorry. Go ahead, I am listening...

 

Kyuhyun sighed.

 

-There's that guy...

-He's hot?

-Aren't you straight?

-I have more than one gay friend. So?

-Yeah...he's really hot. I'll spare you the details. Thing is, I don't think he is interested in me.

-Why?

-He's straight.

-Oh.

 

Henry lowered his eyes, sorry for Kyuhyun. He though for a second Kyuhyun was talking about Zhou Mi, but if the guy was straight, then there was no chance it was him. He felt bad for Kyuhyun, knowing how anyone could feel, remembering his friend, a girl, who fell for Zhou Mi's warm smile and caring personnality. The pain in her eyes when he had rejected her with kind words, trying to not hurt her much. If Kyuhyun had to go through it...

 

-Sorry, man, Henry said, patting his friend's shoulder.

-Not your fault...What should I do?

-Well first, make sure you don't feel anything for Sungmin anymore. That would be the first step, in my opinion.

 

The young student thought about it for a second, then stood up and smiled, helping the musician to get up.

 

-Yeah, I should do that. Thanks Henry.

-Pleasure. That will cost you a coffee.

-In your dreams, man, in your dreams.

-Come on!

 

Kyuhyun walked away, laughing softly as Henry was still trying to get a coffee from him. Maybe he would offer him one, but not like that. He wasn't that nice, Henry would have to beg more than that, even if he was grateful he had listen to him.