02

CHAINS

CHAINS: Chain 02

 

Kai’s POV:

                Shindong drove up to the side of the school where there weren’t as many students and parked the limo. I got out, bidding him a farewell and treaded my way to the school’s front gates. Thankfully I arrived early enough to escape Suzy and her crazy group of fan girls that usually waited for me by the school’s front entrance every morning.

                I passed through the gate and walked up to the front steps of the school, but stopped when someone caught my eye. That’s odd, what’s a little boy doing here?

                Curiosity got the better of me and I carefully approached the boy, who was sitting at the foot of the stairway and crouched down to his level. He was curled up into a ball, apparently in his own little world since he didn’t even realize I was right beside him.

                “Hey, gwenchana?”

                He made eye contact with me and I was slightly taken aback. He was so innocent looking. He was probably about ten years old at least and he was so pale like those Japanese porcelain dolls. His eyes were slightly red and puffy, obviously from crying, but he was still amazingly beautiful. He is a bit scrawny though, which kind of worries me, although he seems healthy enough. His hair is also a blonde color and it was curled. It reminded me of ramyun for some reason. It gave him a cute appearance though. In his arms he held onto a bunny like toy that had a blue mask around it, which matched the small mask that he was wearing himself.

                His eyes were hesitant as he looked directly into mine. I asked him if he was okay again. This time he shook his head quite violently and looked back to the concrete floor.

                “Are you lost?”

                He continued shaking his head. I pursed my lips, unsure of what to do. Aigoo…eottoke?

                “K-Kyungsoo-hyung…”

                My eyes widen once I heard his voice, “Eh?”

                “Kyungsoo-hyung is hurt…” He said while rubbing his fresh tears away with his hand. He then tightly hugged his bunny close to his chest.

                At first I thought he was referring to his toy since it seemed reasonable enough to believe that children would think their toys could possibly feel hurt unless he was referring to himself in third person, but I quickly dismissed the thought since he said hyung.  Apparently this wasn’t just child talk and whatever he was saying was serious.

                I was about to ask him who this ‘Kyungsoo’ person was, but the young boy suddenly shot up from where he was sitting and blankly looked out in front of him as if he became possessed.

                “Baekkie-hyung is coming…” He whispered to himself.

                He suddenly grabbed a hold of my sleeve and roughly tugged on it. I was quite surprised at his strength since I lunged forward a bit.

                “Hyung, you have to help me! K-Kyungsoo-hyung…Baekkie-hyung is going to hurt Kyungsoo-hyung!”

                I gently took his hand, unlatching him from my sleeve, and shook my head slightly, “What do you mean? I don’t understand…who is ‘Kyungsoo-hyung’ and why is this ‘Baekkie-hyung’ going to hurt him?”

                He froze again, eyes wide as if he was listening to something off in the distance, totally ignoring my question. He began to shake his head back and forth. He seemed to be arguing with himself.

                “Hyung, there’s no time! He’s coming!”

                He grabbed my arm fully this time and pulled me up. I am literally blown away by this kid’s strength! How can this little guy be so strong even though he’s so much smaller than me? I felt my pride dwindling away a bit. He was sprinting, forcing me to run with him. As we ran I realized I dropped my schoolbag in the process.

                “Kai-ssi!”

                Hearing my name being called I turned around and saw Juniel-ah standing at the foot of the stairs. She was holding my schoolbag in her arms with a puzzled expression glazed across her face. 

                “Where are you going, Kai-ssi?” I heard her yell out to me.

                The kid refused to let me go so I waved my free hand  trying to tell her not to worry, “Ah…uh…Juniel-ah, don’t worry about me…I’ll be back later, okay.”

                She looked at me questioningly as I ran off with the kid. I then began to battle against myself. Why was I letting this boy drag me around? Does he even know where to go? I decided to trust fate, hoping that it was on my side. I felt very uneasy about all of this, but my gut told me otherwise. It told me to stay with the kid no matter what could happen.

                After some time we finally came upon a familiar looking bridge. I glanced around my surroundings and realized that we were at one of the many entrances to Sakura Park. It’s been a long time since I’ve been here. This park is the largest known park in the area and it has been here for many generations. Obviously it’s famous for its Sakura trees, but what makes it extremely special though is the one Sakura tree that grows exactly in the middle of the entire park. Many have said that it’s the oldest Sakura tree alive. It has the appearance of two trees grown together as one. When I was little, my parents often told me an old legend that regarded that particular Sakura tree. The legend says that tree is known to be the Tree of Life, but I’m not too sure about that.

                As we crossed the bridge the young boy suddenly spoke to me.

                “You know what, hyung? You feel like Kyungsoo-hyung.”

                “Huh…? What do you mean by that?” I asked really confused.

                “Your kamui, it feels like Kyungsoo-hyung’s.” He simply said making me feel even more confused.

                Whatever this kid says never makes any freakin sense. Kamui? What the hell is that? Who is this kid and this Kyungsoo and this Baekkie? Caught up in my thoughts I didn’t even realize the kid had stopped running. I almost crashed into him. I stared at him for a minute then looked around. We were inside the park. A strange eerie feeling began to surround us. The fact that the trees were lifelessly bare and that the clouds had become a darker shade of grey since the last time I saw them didn’t help lessen that aura to go away.

                The boy’s hand was still latched onto my arm. He seemed to be concentrating on something. My senses were suddenly going into overdrive. Something definitely doesn’t feel right….

                “Hey, what’s going on?” I asked him.

                He ignored me and continued looking about, talking to himself, “Kyungsoo-hyung is here, but there’s something else…”

                I raised a brow, “Something…?” That doesn’t sound right…, “Don’t you mean someone else?”

                He still didn’t answer me. I sighed, getting frustrated at him for ignoring me all the time and looked around again. I abruptly turn my head to the right. I can hear this strange whistle like sound. I squint my eyes and look off into the distance. The sound is now coming from behind. I turned around and widen my eyes as a giant ball of bright light came towards us.

                “WATCH OUT!” I grabbed onto the little boy and lunged forward.

                The ball of light came crashing down just barely missing us. It caused some dirt to fly on top of us as well. I grunted as the boy underneath me tried to push me upward with his small hands. He succeeded in getting out from under me and then gripped onto my shirt to keep me balanced from falling down to the ground again.

                I finally sat up and looked around in a dazed manner. Where the hell did that ball of light come from?

                “Hyung?” The young boy started to shake my arm repetitively, “Hyung, gwenchana?”

                I groaned and nodded my head, “Yea, I’m fine…don’t worry…’’

                He wasted no time and quickly stood up, pulling me upward, “Palli, hyung! We can’t stay here!”

                I stood up awkwardly and followed him from behind. I can see white lights and red flames flashing in the distance. Was that a boulder flying in the air just now? I shook my head telling myself that I must be seeing things, but as I continued looking in that direction, the lights were still appearing here and there. My heart rate began to rise and I could feel the adrenaline start to envelope me.

                Is this for real…?

                We continued running in the direction where the lights flashed the most visible. I thought his boy was crazy for wanting to run towards danger head on. The back of my hairs began to prick up as I felt something hot was fast approaching us. This time, instead of a giant ball of light, it was a giant ball of fire. I gripped the boy’s arm, planning to dodge it, but he stood his ground and threw his toy bunny into the air. I had totally forgotten about his masked toy. I stood there dumbfounded not sure how throwing a toy bunny in the air will save us from this ball of fire, but I was suddenly left speechless and wide eyed once the mask dropped from the toy’s mouth and a giant metal blade lunged out from it. I stumbled back a bit in surprise.

                The boy did a motion with his hands and the metal blade transformed into a protective dome blocking the fireball from hitting us. The flames dispersed out into different directions and over our heads, dying out immediately once it hit the ground. It was a miracle none of the trees caught fire. When there was no other threat in sight the boy once again did a motion with his hands and the metal wall quickly retreated back into the stuff animal. It then fell back into his arms.

                I blinked. Did that really just happen…?

                I looked more closely at the boy and all thoughts of the metal engulfing toy left my mind once I realized there was much more to the boy than I thought.

                 Much, much more…

                Are those cat ears and a tail I see? Are my eyes deceiving me…?

                My eyes widen to the size of saucers when it dawned on me that I really wasn’t seeing things and that it was true…that boy has FREAKIN cat ears and a tail!

                What the hell is going on!?

                He faced me with a worried expression, “Hyung…”

                I blinked again and the cat ears and tail were suddenly gone.

                Bwoh!? How can they just disappear like that?

                I raised my hands moving them around frantically like a crazed madman as I tried to make sense of what was going on, “W-what the…? Y-you…ears…t-tail…”

                “Not now, hyung!” He grabbed me and started running off deeper into the park.

                 I shut my mouth and looked ahead of me. The white light mixed in with fire continued to light up the park. Here and there I saw dirt flying. As we got closer to the flashing lights I heard metal sounds clashing against each other. Was it a sword fight? I am not too sure after I heard some gunfire. Then…there was nothing…absolutely nothing.

                The boy stopped running and I followed suit. We stood our ground, both overwhelmed by the sudden quiet atmosphere. I quickly scanned the area. I didn’t see any lights flashing in the distance anymore or any flying boulders. Everything was still and completely silent. This obviously isn’t good sign…

                I examined the boy next to me. He was extremely stiff; his wide eyes were starring off into space like how he did back at the school. Was he listening for something?

                The boy walked in front of me still looking around. I felt a soft breeze pass by me and the young boy suddenly froze, a panic stricken expression painted across his face. That breeze wasn’t exactly the wind was it? I gulped heavily and looked off to the side, staying as still as possible.

                 There, standing next to me was a teenage boy, who held a katana dangerously close up against my throat. He looked at me briefly then to the little boy.

                “Junhong-ah…” the stranger said.

                “Baekkie-hyung…”

---

-A/N

Sorry for late update. My internet connection is really terrible.

So  second chapter…what do you guys think?