07

CHAINS

CHAINS: Chain 07

 

Baekhyun’s POV:

                With his eyes closed and brows furrowed, Suho rubbed his temples with two fingers pressed together on each side. He’s extremely tired from the missions report meeting we had this morning with all the other squad leaders. He gave a long sigh then faced me as we continued walking down the hallway to our living quarters.

                “How is Junhong doing?” He suddenly asks me.

                “Junhong? Oh, he’s doing fine. Princess Sulli still hasn’t given him his punishment yet.”

                He nodded in acknowledgement before continuing, “How did Junhong find out about the mission anyway?”

                This time I sighed, “I’m not sure. I wasn’t even aware that he had left the main house premises when Chanyeol and I left to confront Kyungsoo. He won’t tell me how he found out either.”

                He dryly laughed, “Giving you the cold shoulder, huh? That’s a first. Junhong always tells you everything.”

               Suho then sighed again after a moment of silence and ran a hand through his hair.

                “What is it?” I ask him.

                “Just…something seems wrong.”

                I tilt my head to the side, “What do you mean?”

                “It’s just this mission with Kyungsoo, you know? I find it strange that the Kage-dono wants him to be captured now after so many years of him being let free. I didn’t want to bring this up in the meeting since the others may question our loyalty to the Kage-dono, but he’s up to something. I can feel it and it isn’t good. I’m pretty sure you’ve been wondering and feeling the same thing since you got assigned this mission. ”

                I took in his words and stayed silent. I can tell he already knew my answer since it was true, I do agree with Suho. Everything about this mission is a bit strange and I have been wondering about it for quite some time now. Especially on how Kyungsoo could be important to the Kage-dono, but no matter how hard I think about it I can’t find an acceptable answer. 

                Our whole clan knows Kyungsoo ran away from the main house when he was only seven years old and since he’s a runaway, he’s automatically a traitor. He should have been taken out when he was still vulnerable as a child, but he was let free. It’s the law to kill or turn in traitors so I wonder why Kyungsoo’s case was dismissed. From what I’ve heard as a child, Kyungsoo was considered a special case, which would mean it would be EXO-SHINee’s duty to dispose of him, but it never happened. It’s been nine years now since he ran away and according to our record files of him, he hasn’t committed any other crimes that would threaten our clan. If he really was a ‘special case’ he would be a dangerous threat since these ‘special cases’ involved Exotics that owned powerful kamui, but Kyungsoo doesn’t even possess a spiritual demon inside of him. He’s quite useless in my opinion, an oddball with no purpose really, so why would the Kage-dono have sudden interest in him now?  

                Suho suddenly stops walking and stares at the ground. I couldn’t read the expression on his face since it was blank. He usually smiles all the time so it’s a bit strange to see him act like this. 

                “Hyung?” I stood quietly by his side, waiting for him to speak. Maybe he realized something about Kyungsoo and the Kage-dono?

                We were surrounded by silence until I heard laughter echo slightly ahead of us. I turned my head towards the sound. The voices resembled Kimiko and Chanyeol.

                “Baekhyun, do you think the rumor about Kyungsoo is real?”

                I turn my head back to Suho, “What rumor?”

                “That Kyungsoo is the Kage-dono’s actual child.” His voice was filled with seriousness.

                I was kind of appalled with his statement. No one has mentioned that rumor ever since Kyungsoo ran away. The clan knows that the Kage-dono had two lovers, although he loved one more than the other, but wasn’t allowed to be with her because he was already married to his first lover through arranged marriage. His first marriage actually didn’t last very long since his first wife died giving birth to their first child, who is Princess Sulli. This lead to another rumor saying he would remarry and eventually he did.

                His second wife was his other lover, the one whom he truly loved. If I remember what the elders told me, her name was Im Yoona. I heard she wasn’t accepted by the people of our clan since she was considered an outcast. She wasn’t born with a spiritual demon and giving birth to a son, who was also born without a spiritual demon, only made her even more despised. That son of hers is none other than Kyungsoo. No one really knows who Kyungsoo’s actual father is since she was pregnant with him before she officially married the Kage-dono, so it was rumored that Kyungsoo may as well be the Kage-dono’s child. The Kage-dono never confirmed it though. He actually treated Kyungsoo in a cold manner, usually locking him in that one abandoned room on the other side of the main house where he wouldn’t be seen by others. As years passed, rumors continued to spread, but they eventually stopped after Kyungsoo ran away. That was also when his mother had mysteriously disappeared without a trace.

                Everything that concerns the Kage-dono is always so suspicious. If the previous Kage-dono wasn’t replaced by the current one we have now, would things have been this complicated…?

                I shook my head, not wanting to think about this anymore, “I don’t know, Suho. There’s no proof.”

                Suho nodded his head, but it looked like he thought otherwise, “Yea…”

                I narrowed my eyes at him trying to figure out what he was thinking. Does he think that’s the reason why the Kage-dono wants him back…because Kyungsoo may actually be the Kage-dono’s son? I was going to ask him this, but I was interrupted.

                “Baek! Grandpa Suho!” Chanyeol ran over and grinned. I’m gonna have to talk to Suho about this another time.

               Suho sighed in displeasure as Chanyeol approached closer. I noticed Chanyeol’s right hand was tightly wrapped over Kimiko’s left hand. Her cheeks immediately flushed when she realized that I was eyeing their intertwined hands. She forced Chanyeol’s grip to loosen and formally bowed down to both Suho and I. She said a small greeting afterwards. I nodded my head towards her then looked over to Chanyeol, he seemed upset by her action since he clenched and unclenched his fist in an uncomfortable manner.

                “Chanyeol, how many times do I have to tell you to not call me that?” Suho said sternly after greeting Kimiko.

                “It wouldn’t matter how many times you tell me not to cause I’m forever calling you Grandpa Suho.” He said smugly while smiling.

                “Chanyeol, just….argh…” Suho closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose, “I’m too tired to deal with you.” He breathed in and out slowly then looked up to both Chanyeol and I, “Well, I’ll be taking my leave now. Remember that Onew-hyung is assigning our next mission tomorrow morning, which means…” he eyed Chanyeol directly, “getting up early. I have already informed Sehun about this so don’t worry about him. Araso?”

                “Deh.” Both Chanyeol and I say.

                “Okay. See you guys in the morning.” He nodded to us then to Kimiko before departing down the hallway to his quarters. We all watch him walk away until Kimiko broke the silence.

                “I’ll take my leave as well.”

                Chanyeol looks over to her and pouts, “Aw…really, Kimi?”

                “Hai, I have to head over to the medic center for my lessons now.”

                She formally bows again, “Take care Baekhyun-sama, Chanyeol-sama.”

                She quickly walks away and leaves us both standing in the hallway. I turn around and start walking over to my quarters now. Junhong should be inside doing his studies. 

                Chanyeol comes up to my side and sighs heavily, “Kimi is always the most formal with me when you’re around. I don’t like it. You scare her too much, Baek.”

                I half shrug, “I don’t care if you don’t like it, Chanyeol. She knows her place and that’s what I like about her. If you continue to encourage her to be more informal you’ll only get her into trouble, like always. She’s of lower class and we are of higher, that’s how it works around here and that’s how it’ll always be.”

                Chanyeol was obviously angry with my response and frowned, “Baek, how can you be so cold-hearted? You know that Kimi and I are childhood friends.”

                I stopped in front of my door and looked up, cursing at him in my mind for being taller than me, “Chanyeol, I know that she’s important to you and that you have affections for her, but we’re soldiers of EXO-K. We have a reputation to uphold and not just for our soldier status, but our family honor too. It’s unfortunate she was born into a lower class family, but like I said, that’s how it works.”

                Chanyeol glared at me in silence. He’s definitely angry, but he knew it was the truth. I turned away from him and slid the door open. I walked inside and felt sudden chills. I know this presence…

                I turned my head to the small living room area. Junhong was sitting quietly on one of the wooden seats, his stuff animal was tucked in his arms and his eyes were locked to the floor. I slowly walk into the room, eyeing the other figure that stood behind Junhong. Chanyeol quietly followed in behind me. Off in the far corner of the room, there was a maid. She immediately bowed down to both Chanyeol and I when we entered the room. We both ignored the maid since our attention was to the figure standing behind Junhong. The figure suddenly makes eye contact with us making the both of us bow down to the figure respectively.

                “Princess Sulli, why have you honored us with your presence?” I say quietly after bowing. I already knew why she was here, but I have to remember my manners.

                With half a smile she placed her hand on top of Junhong’s head and ruffled his blonde hair slightly.

                “I’m here to deliver Junhong’s punishment of course.”

---

Kai’s POV:

 

Flashback

                Something soft held my face and my brain finally registered they were Kyungsoo’s hands. My vision had become disoriented now and it started fading into a grey color.

                “Kyungsoo…I…w-what…”

                “Shh, it’s alright.” He was rubbing his thumbs against my cheeks again, “Sorry, but I have to do this.”

                “W-what…?” I couldn’t hear what he had said since it came out so quiet. My eyes were finally closing and I couldn’t fight against this sudden drowsiness. The last thing I see is Kyungsoo’s face coming closer to mine and the feeling of something soft on my lips.

Flashback End

 

                Something cold and wet splashed onto my face making my eyes immediately shoot open as I lunged forward into a sitting position. Wha…what the…? I start to blink several times as I tried to understand what the hell was going on. I could see a figure crouched down in front of me, but my sight was slightly blurred from the water dripping into my eyes.

                “Rise and shine sleepyhead.”

                I squinted my eyes. I know that annoying voice anywhere…

                “T-Taemin…?”

                “Neh.” He sang cheerfully while waving a spray bottle in front of my face.

                “W-what…” I brought my hand up to my face and roughly wiped the water away, “What are you doing here Taemin-ah?”

                He pouted, “Can’t your favorite cousin come by and visit you?”

                I eyed him in annoyance and pushed him slightly, “And spray me with water while I’m sleeping? What the hell is wrong with you?”

                He shrugged and got off my bed, “Well, you’ve been sleeping for a long time now. It’s already late in the afternoon, you know and I was bored. ” He smiled brightly at me and I just shook my head. What am I gonna do with this idiot…?

                “When did you even get here?” I groaned slightly.

                “This morning. Shindong let me in since you were still sleeping.”

                I should tell Shindong to never let this guy in without my permission…

                I pushed my messy bed hair back with my hands, which was slightly wet now, but then I stopped when Taemin’s words finally registered in my head. This morning…? It’s already late afternoon though, but it was evening time when I came back home from school. How long have I been asleep? When did I even go to bed? Wait…what day is this? With my hands still placed on my hair I try to remember back. Wasn’t I with Kyungsoo? I start to blush lightly when I thought about the dream I just had. He was going to kiss me. Did he kiss me…? The back of my right hand was to my lips now. That was a dream right…?

                Taemin walked to the end of my bed and raised his eyebrows at me with a smirk, “You know, Kai, you should explain yourself.” He continually moved his index finger to me and something off to the side of me.

                I furrowed my eyes at him and heaved out a loud sigh. What now, Taemin? I turned my head, my eyes slowly widening in shock when I saw a body lying next to me on the bed.

               Krisus, its Kyungsoo!

                I quickly backed away from the sleeping figure, not realizing I was inching closer and closer to the edge of the bed. I finally fell over, partially dragging the bed covers with me. My head hit the floor first before I started rolling backwards. Taemin began laughing boisterously right after and clutched his sides.             

                I ignored the forming bump on my head and pressed a finger to my lips as I ‘whisper yell’ to Taemin, fearing Kyungsoo would wake up from the loud noise, “Yah, Taemin! Shhh!”

                Taemin was chuckling quietly now. I crawled over to my bed and poked my head up just barely enough to see Kyungsoo. His back was facing me and he was curled up in a fetal like position. He was also wearing his wig again since the long black hair was trailed over his shoulder. His shirt was also slightly lifted up, revealing his hip bone since the sweats he was wearing were a bit loose. I gulped and looked away. Taemin crouched down next to me, smiling that stupid smile of his.

                “So?” He said with glint in his eyes.

                I rolled my eyes, “Nothing happened, Taemin.”

                “Oh, ok sure…” He said still smiling. I glowered at him as he continues talking, “But, really, Kai? Is she a friend of yours?”

                I blink. She…? Kyungsoo’s a boy. I look back over to Kyungsoo who was still sleeping on the bed.

                “Oh, y-yes...Yes! She’s just a friend.” I said a bit too awkwardly and quickly. Since Kyungsoo is wearing his wig, Taemin thinks he’s a girl, when he’s actually a guy. Aish, how do I explain this to Taemin if he figures out?

                He raises a brow, “Okay…” He looks back at her, “You know…she’s actually pretty cute.”

                I punched his shoulder, “What the , hyung?”

                “Ow, Kai. I was just kidding.” He rubbed his shoulder and looked at me funny, “You probably think she is cute then, huh?”

                Why does he always have to tease me?

                “Yah!” I punched him even harder this time, but he only laughed at me. I want to choke this guy to death so bad! I grabbed his shirt, raising myself up a bit to appear more intimidating, but stopped when I heard a forced cough above us. I immediately released Taemin’s shirt and looked up. Kyungsoo was sitting cross-legged on the bed peering over us with an unimpressed expression. His eyes dashed over to Taemin for a sec then back to me.

                He then rubbed his eyes and yawned, nodding his head in Taemin’s direction, “Who’s this guy?”

                Taemin smiled at him, but there was something in his smile that I couldn’t quite understand, “I’m Lee Taemin, Kai’s older cousin. Who are you?”

                Kyungsoo looked at him in silence before answering, “D.O.”

                “D.O? Hmpf, that’s not a pretty name for a girl.” Taemin then stood up and tilted Kyungsoo’s chin to face him, “What’s your real name, hmm?”

                Kyungsoo glared at him and shoved his hand away, “I said it’s D.O.”

                I noticed Taemin smirked. He then leaned forward and whispered something into Kyungsoo’s ear.

               Something tells me that these two already know each other…

---

Taemin’s POV:

                I smirked. Tsk, how foolish can you be, Kyungsoo?

                I leaned forward and whispered into his ear, “For now, I’ll play along with your little game, Kyungsoo, but you should know that in the end you’ll lose.”

---

-A/N

I’m like extremely tired so this chapter probably came out pretty crappy and boring. The grammar is probably bad too, even though I proof-read, but I wanted to update today because I might not have a chance later…

So now you guys know a bit more of Kyungsoo’s background from Baekhyun’s POV and have finally been introduced to Suho, Sulli, and Taemin. 

Also expect longer chapters in the future. I’m in the middle of moving houses so I’ve been busy packing and have been caught up with a lot of other things in life, so my chapters will be longer to kind of make up for not being able to update quickly.

Anyway thank you to those who subscribed. I really LOVE all of you guys. <3

Thanks for reading and hope you have a wonderful day. ^^

<3 dububrit-on