08

CHAINS

CHAINS: Chain 08

 

Kyungsoo’s POV:

                “For now, I’ll play along with your little game, Kyungsoo, but you should know that in the end you’ll lose.”

                Taemin backed away from me and smiled in satisfaction when my lips curved into a slight snarl. I looked away, ashamed that I had allowed him to get to me so easily. I have to get out of here before Taemin reveals anything. I briefly looked up and noticed Kai was still sitting on the floor. He was staring at me with a look of worry. I quickly broke our eye contact and looked down to the floor. 

                What have I gotten myself into? I was going to leave right after Kai had helped me with the new bandages, but because of that incident yesterday with Kai, I felt like I had to stay to make sure that he would be okay. I didn’t think I would actually fall asleep though. Now that I find myself face to face with Taemin I should have left when I had the chance. Aish, I can’t believe I let my guard down! Of all people, Kai had to be Taemin’s cousin…

                I finally stood up and looked around for Kimchi, but there was no sign of her anywhere. I could tell she was nearby though since I felt her kamui drifting close by. Was she outside? Why didn’t she warn me about Taemin? We could have avoided him when we had the chance, now look at this mess I’m in. I scrunched my face in frustration and screamed inwardly to myself.

                Kai finally stood up and reached out for me, but he immediately retracted his hand away, which left me kind of confused. I kept my composure though and ignored the slight thumping in my chest from his action. I then walked forward, pushing Taemin’s and Kai’s shoulders to get them out of my way. I just need to get out of here.

                “I’m leaving now.” I turned around and faced Kai, “If you could give me back my clothes or at least new presentable looking ones and some shoes I would appreciate it.”

                From the way he looked at me it was as if I had spoken to him in another language. He finally blinked after a couple of seconds of his blank staring and replied with a simple nod, trying his best not to make eye contact with me again.

                He then walked off to his closet and started rummaging through his clothes while Taemin and I stayed in our places. Taemin looked over to me and smirked. I responded back to him with a glare. Kai finally came back and handed me some clothes.

                “I don’t have girl clothing obviously, so…here. They may be a bit big on you, but they’re the smallest I have.”

                I nodded and took them from his hands, noticing he didn’t make eye contact with me as I took them, which started to make me curious as to why he was acting so distant, almost as if he was upset by the fact that I was actually going to leave. I decided it wasn’t really important and made way to his bathroom, quickly changing into the clothes he gave me, which were dark gray faded skinny jeans and a blue v-neck shirt. I then washed my face and fixed my wig. I looked kind of strange since I was supposed to be a girl, but was wearing guy clothes. I dismissed it, thinking people wouldn’t really care for my appearance anyway. All I care about right now is leaving.

               I went back into Kai’s bedroom and handed him the clothes that I had on before. He took them and tossed them into a basket sitting in his closet. I pursed my lips together feeling slightly nervous now, maybe anxious for what was to come after this. Once I leave the house premises I’m going to have to make a run for it since I’m not exactly  sure if Taemin was sent here by the main house to finish off Baekhyun’s and Chanyeol’s mission to reprimand me or if he’s really just here because of mere coincidence. Whatever the reason, I can’t let myself get caught by him.

                I started to tap my foot and looked away from Kai, “Well, thank you for taking care of me. Goodbye.”

                I quickly turned around to leave, but Kai gripped my wrist making a strange sensation spread throughout my body. Why does he keep making me feel like this? I didn’t bother to face him since I felt too self-conscience to do so.

                “Kyung…ah, I mean, D.O…”

                “What?” I snapped hoping my sharp tone will get him to release my wrist and just let me go, but he continued to keep his tight hold. He actually tightened his grip, although I could tell he was shaking slightly.

                “W-will I see you again?” His voice was extremely quiet and almost broke away into nothingness.

                For some reason my chest hurt when he said that. I knew there was no way we could meet again. He had helped me, but we were practically strangers. Did I want to see him again? I carefully tilted my head upward so I could see his face. His eyes looked so hopeful. I turned my head away, acting like I didn’t care.

                “Aniyo, I don’t think so.”

                His grip loosened, “O-oh, of course…” He faked an understanding and embarrassed laugh, “I’m sorry, that was stupid of me…”

                I shook his hand from my wrist and nodded. Why was he acting so strange? He’s making me feel strange now. Maybe it’s because of this wig. It makes me look like a girl so he must be acting this way because of my appearance. He does seem to be attracted to my girl appearance. Surprisingly I find many people do. In fact, I use it to my advantage in order to survive, but for some reason I don’t like the thought of Kai liking my girl appearance, it bothers me. W-wait what am I thinking? This isn’t the time…

                I was about to walk off without another word, but my body stopped itself and automatically turned back around. I faced Kai once more, somehow taking in more of his features and found myself noticing things that I hadn’t before. I placed a hand on his chest, exactly where I had it yesterday when the incident with Kai happened and looked him straight in the eyes, my voice surprisingly gentle, “You’re still not quite healed yet, so make sure you get some more rest.”

                Kai’s eyes widened a little, probably trying to process what I was really trying to imply. I didn’t want to reveal the truth behind the incident to him since it would reveal who I really am and because Taemin was here, although I have a feeling Taemin probably already knows what had happened to Kai last night. Without another glance back I left.

---

Taemin’s POV:

                I smiled amusedly to myself once Kyungsoo took off. I didn’t think he could be so soft towards someone else and of all people it’s Kai? I’m amazed. Kyungsoo only really acts soft like that around Junhong-ah.

                I looked over to Kai and patted his shoulder, “So what was all that about?”

                He slowly looked over to me and shook his head with a confused expression, “I-I’m not sure.”

                I nodded my head in response acting as if I was just letting the topic go, but I kind of already knew what it was about. I took my hand away from his shoulder and put them back into my pant pockets. I turned my attention to the window in Kai’s room and spotted Kyungsoo’s disappearing figure running off into the thick set of trees in the backyard with Kimchi trailing behind him.

                Kyungsoo probably thought I was sent here to capture him when really I was only curious as to why I felt a strong surge of Kai’s kamui last night when I was out on patrol. It’s been years since I’ve felt Kai’s kamui so feeling it so suddenly again was kind of a shock to me. Even now, standing next to him, I can feel it coming off from him.

                It doesn’t make sense though. It’s been locked away for so many years now. Did Kyungsoo somehow unlock it? The lock on Kai’s kamui was a really powerful one though. It can only be broken if the one who casted the lock undid it or by the Chain of Fate, which basically means he found his one and only bonding mate, but his mate has to be a human. If Kyungsoo was here when Kai’s kamui activated then it would mean Kyungsoo could be Kai’s potential bonding mate, but Kyungsoo isn’t human so that can’t be, right? Maybe there’s a loop hole I didn’t know about. I furrowed my eyes as I thought about it more and made a clucking noise. It’s only a matter of time before other Exotics find about Kai and they can’t, especially the Kage-dono. I have to inform ajeossi.

                “Is something wrong, Taemin-ah?”

                I faced Kai and smiled, “Oh, nothing really. I was just wondering who that D.O person really was.”

                He made a face, “Taemin, you know who D.O is don’t you?”

                I laughed, “What makes you think that? I’ve never seen D.O before. You know how I like to tease people.”

                He grunted, “Don’t lie to me, Taemin.”

                I could only smile. I’m sorry, Kai, but I can’t tell you anything just yet.

---

Kai’s POV:

                Taemin only smiles like that when he’s hiding something, but what is it that he’s hiding from me? Before I could say anything else he brushed my shoulder with his as he passed by me through the door.

                “I’ll be in the kitchen if you need me.” He shouted cheerfully while running down the hallway.

                I made another face and rolled my eyes. He’s going to avoid answering me by going downstairs to raid my fridge? That prick…I’ll deal with him later.

                I walked back to my bed and sat on the side where Kyungsoo slept. I placed a hand on the sheets and stared intently at it.

                ‘You’re still not quite healed yet, so make sure you get some more rest.’

                Did he stay just to make sure I was okay? I smiled to myself a bit before frowning. What was it that happened to me last night anyway? I can only vaguely remember a weird green light on my chest and my disappearing hands and arms. Since Kyungsoo is gone I won’t be able to ask him what that whole thing was about. Especially if h-he had...had, you know…? Argh, if he had kissed me…

                I blushed just thinking about it again. Krisus, what’s wrong with me? He’s a dude and it was probably just a dream. That’s right just a dream…

                I sighed and laid down on the bed, my head resting on the pillow. I breathed in deeply noticing there was a strange sweet smell that clung onto the sheets. This must be Kyungsoo’s scent. I closed my eyes and imagined his face.

                ‘W-will I see you again?’

                ‘Aniyo, I don’t think so.’

                I slowly opened my eyes and turned myself over to face the ceiling, giving away another loud sigh. So many things have happened yesterday, first with Junhong-ah, then Baekhyun and the tall guy, and then Kyungsoo. I covered my eyes with the back of my hand and shook my head. They’re all connected somehow. I then immediately sat up on the bed. I have to figure out what the hell is going on.

                I raised my knees up a bit closer to my chest and wrapped my arms around them, finally resting my chin on top. I breathed in deeply and closed my eyes.

                If I do, will I be able to see you again, Kyungsoo…?

 

---

A/N

Yea, I said I was going to write longer chapters, but this one ended up short. =/

I’ve been really busy and haven’t been able to write as frequently as I would like to, but it rained today! Yes, I love the rain! It hasn't rained in like forever where I am so I'm happy and thought I should spare some time to update. So I hope you guys liked the update even though it came out late. 

Thank you to my new subscribers!  ^^ I love you all, both new and old. <3

Thank you for reading and have a happy day!

<3 dububrit-on