10

CHAINS

 

CHAINS: Chain 10

Minho’s POV:

                We finally settled down in the meeting room, Onew-hyung being the last one to enter. He swiftly walks to the front of the room and runs a hand through his hair as he faces us. We were all seated around a round table that stood in the middle of the room. Instead of sitting down in his overly large and comfy chair, Onew bends over and firmly places his hands onto the table.

                “Alright, so first things first, this morning I assigned Suho’s squad, squad number five, to locate the mystery Exotic that had intervened in Baekhyun’s and Chanyeol’s mission to reprimand Kyungsoo. Their current location is in Sakura Park. Hopefully the Exotic left some sort of track that we can possibly use to trace back to its origins. Also, the scientists still have yet to confirm if this Exotic is genetically engineered. If it is we have a serious problem on our hands.”

                Jonghyun-hyung rubs his temples, “So, uh…this Exotic, it can’t possibly be genetically engineered can it? I mean, we’ve been doing experiments for years and we have yet to perfect a living genetically engineered Exotic that can withstand a physical form. Our experiments, they aren’t even considered Exotics, just creatures, abominations. They’ve all become Mindless. ”

                “We haven’t faced a Mindless for a long time, Jonghyun.” Key interrupts, “There’s a possibility that this Exotic is one of the few lucky experiments to have actually had success.”

                “Key is probably right. There’s a definite possibility.” Onew says, “Its kamui was fabricated from an assortment of collected materials. How they got it to activate like kamui I’m not too sure, but it’s our only clue that leads us to believe that this Exotic is genetically engineered. Chanyeol even said that he couldn’t detect the Exotics presence when it had attacked them. That’s impossible since all Exotics are able to detect another Exotics kamui, no matter who it is.”

                Taemin shifts slightly in his seat, “Then who engineered it? The Neko Clan?” He scoffs, “I have a feeling they couldn’t possibly do it if our clan can’t.”

                “The only clan that was closest enough to engineer one was the Tori Clan.” Key says.

                Jonghyun faces him, “But they were wiped out by our clan several years ago. There were barely any survivors left.”

                Onew clucks his tongue in thought, “Well, if I remember correctly, there were Neko soldiers stationed in China’s District during that time, which is where the bulk of the Tori Clan resided in. When we annihilated the Tori Clan’s main house, the survivors took refuge in the Neko Clan’s main house over in Japan’s District. From our files, one of the Tori Exotics that were involved in their clan’s genetic engineering research is still alive, and is currently residing in one of the smaller unit homes here in Korea’s District. His name in Wu Yifan, better known as Kris, I believe.”

                “Oh, Kris?” Taemin sits up in his seat, “I’ve heard interesting things about that guy. I didn’t believe it at first, but he’s actually a captain of a squad in the Neko Clan, even though he’s a Tori Exotic. He’s the captain of EXO-M’s squad 02, the Neko Clan’s top squad in fact. His squad could probably match up to Suho’s squad in ranking and that’s pretty high, considering the fact that Suho’s squad is one of Inu Clan’s top squads next to ours.”

                I watch Onew furrow his brow, “He’s pretty clever if he can get himself up to that status especially when it’s not even his own clan.  He might have given them information on genetic engineering in order to get that position.”

                I cross my arms finally speaking out for the first time since the meeting started, “Just because this ‘Kris’ was part of the genetic engineering research of his clan doesn’t mean that the Exotic we’re tracking down now was created by the Neko Clan or that he gave any kind of information away to them. That Exotic has to be a clone of another Exotic or was an experiment that was done on a human being.”

                “Now that’s impossible.” Jonghyun cuts in, “Humans have to be bonded to an Exotic to even use kamui, which means that we can also sense a human’s kamui once they’re bonded to an Exotic, but this Exotic had no scent whatsoever so it can’t be a human.”

                “Think about it this way, Jonghyun. That Exotic’s kamui was made out of fabricated materials, which means it’s artificial. If it was implemented into a human being who hasn’t been bonded to an Exotic yet, it won’t have the same effects that a normal Exotic’s kamui would have. That might be the reason why Chanyeol couldn’t sense it. Whoever created this genetically engineered Exotic probably wanted that to happen. It definitely makes it easier for assassination missions.” I argued back.

                “We’re just going to have to wait on Suho’s squad and see what they find out before we make any other assumptions.” Onew says with a sigh.

                Everyone slowly nods their head in agreement.

                Taemin suddenly stands up, “If that’s all for the meeting then I will be heading out. I have something important to do.”

                I immediately stand up and slam my hands against the table. I then slightly growled, “No! We’re not done yet.” Ever since I saw Taemin in the hallway before the meeting I have this feeling that he’s hiding something from us. I can tell and now’s the perfect time to get him to reveal whatever it is.

                “Minho-ah…?” Onew begins.

                I ignore him and narrow my eyes at Taemin, “Tell us, Taemin. Where exactly were you earlier this morning, huh?”

                Taemin smirks, “I thought you didn’t care where I was.”

                “You have this strange scent on you.” It was my turn to smirk when I noticed Taemin’s body had tensed, “Did you really think I wouldn’t notice it, Taemin?”

                He was a bit hesitant to respond since his eyes had shifted away from mine, but knowing Taemin, he quickly recovered his uneasiness and resumed that smug expression of his.

                “I’m not sure what you’re talking about Minho. Do I smell that bad?” He sarcastically remarks.

                “Smells like Kyungsoo and…” I furrow my eyes. This other scent smells so familiar. My eyes slowly widen when I came to a realization of whose scent it belonged to, “Jongin…?”

                Everyone was standing up now, each and every one of them looking directly at Taemin.

                “Jongin?” Onew says in a whisper, “How? His kamui is supposed to be locked away.”

---

Taemin’s POV:

                I groaned. Damn you Minho for having such a good sense of smell! I didn’t think anyone would have noticed. I should have cleansed Kai’s kamui before coming here, not to mention Kyungsoo’s as well. Aigoo…I’ve gotten myself into a big mess.

                “Well? Explain yourself mister.” Key-umma had a hand on his hip, while the other was waving itself out towards me to start explaining.

                I sighed, “Long story short, I felt Jongin’s kamui last night then found Kyungsoo at his house.”

                Onew widens his eyes even more, “How…?”

                “Did Jongin find out?” Minho interrupts.

                I shook my head, “Apparently he doesn’t remember what happened.”

                Onew shakes his head, “This isn’t good. This is definitely not good. At least, he doesn’t know anything as of yet. How did Jongin’s seal break?”

                “That, I don’t really know. I think it has something to do with Kyungsoo.”

                "Kyungsoo?" Jonghyun spats out a laugh, “Wait, if Jongin’s seal broke that means that all his bottled up kamui must have unleashed. That’s dangerous! Jongin doesn’t even know how to control it. Did you stop his kamui from overflowing before it consumed him?”

                “Actually, Kyungsoo was there with him.” I say calmly, “I’m pretty sure Kyungsoo was the one who helped him with the situation because I wasn’t the one who stabilized him.”

                Key gasps dramatically, “No way! That means…Kyungsoo…he…”

                I nod with an exasperated sigh, “Yes, Key-umma, Kyungsoo kissed him.”

                “How would you know?” Jonghyun asks with a raised brow.

                “Uh, hello, hyung. It’s obvious they kissed. Don’t you know that’s the easiest way for Exotics to transfer their kamui to one another?”

                Jonghyun snorts, “Of course I know that, but Exotics can only do that with their human mates. Kyungsoo isn’t a human, Taemin.”

                I shrug, “Well, yea, but I…I don’t know. Kyungsoo has always been different from us normal Exotics so I figured there must have been some type of loop hole to Jongin’s seal in order for Kyungsoo to have done that or something.”

                Minho sighs, “We have a possible genetically engineered Exotic running on the loose and now we have Jongin to worry about? It’s already bad enough that Kyungsoo’s involved with him when he was supposed to be captured by Baekhyun and Chanyeol, and to think that all of this crazy happened just yesterday.  That means that all of these events are connected to one another somehow.”

                “What are we going to do then?” Key looks to Onew.

                “First of all, we can’t let the Kage-dono know anything about Jongin, at least, for as long as we can anyway since he’ll probably find out sooner or later.”

                Jonghyun rubs the back of his head, “Well, what about Jongin? We can’t keep this as a secret from him forever. His kamui is really strong and it’ll only get stronger by the day. It’s going to attract too much attention and he’ll become vulnerable to other Exotics if he’s unaware. If the Neko Clan finds out that Jongin is still alive, their attacks will become more relentless. We can’t risk anymore of our clan’s squads to get injured. The war is really taking its toll on them. ”

                “The answer is simple. We tell Jongin.” Minho state bluntly.

                I look to the floor, ignoring my squad’s disagreement to Minho’s resolve.

                How many years has it been since Jongin’s kamui was locked away? I think it’s been at least ten years. I remember it was ajeossi who told me to keep it a secret from him and to watch over him as he lived his life like a normal human being. He told me Jongin had a very special kamui and that there would be many Exotics that would do terrible things just to have it. It was too dangerous for Jongin so his memories were wiped clean. He then mysteriously disappeared from our clan, which ended up being a rumor that he had died from a freak accident in one of the Inu Clan’s battle skirmishes with the Neko Clan. As requested by ajeossi, EXO-Shinee is the only squad that knows Jongin is still alive. Not even the current Kage-dono knows about this.

                It hurts me to see my cousin, who is like a younger brother to me, be stripped away from his true identity. When the seal was placed on him I knew then that I would have to lie to him, a lie that would end up lasting ten years of his life. 

                I will never forget the day the Exotic Jongin died and was reborn as the human Kai. Kai was the name ajeossi used as Jongin’s alias to hide him from other Exotics. He was only six years old, taken away from a world he belonged in, but would no longer be a part of. I can only feel guilt each time I see him because I was the one who is responsible for taking away Jongin.

                I was the one who had erased his memories…

                I looked around the room. All of my squad members were arguing whether or not it was a good idea telling Jongin about everything and what he was. That he was an Exotic.

                I slammed a fist down on the table, “SHUT UP!”

                Everyone went silent and turned to face me.

                “I’ll tell him.”

                It’s time that I tell you the truth, Jongin…

---

A/N:

My grandparents came over for the week so I didn’t have time to write much, but I’ve finally managed to update.

I know this chapter has a lot of dialogue. It bugs me a little, but they were in a meeting so a lot of talking was required. This isn’t my best chapter and there might be mistakes, but my mood is kind of off today. -__-

 I hope things are starting to come together bit by bit.

Next chapter will take place in Sakura Park and cover over EXO-K’s mission that Onew assigned them.

Thank you to my new subscribers! I hope you guys can leave some comments. It’ll help brighten the horrible mood I’ve been in lately.

Hope you guys have a wonderful day.

<3 dububrit-on