Chapter 6

Beyond My Control

When I was still in middle school, I couldn’t deny the fact that I had many suitors. But then, I ignored all of them. I was too busy thinking about my “great future” to entertain middle school boys. Yet, I could still remember this one person who always sent me a message every single day of my middle school life (never missing a school day) and it never failed to make me smile. But who was behind those sweet messages? I assure you, I’m as clueless as you are.


Truthfully, I was curious of whom he was and there was a point in my life where I actually investigated to find out about his identity. But obviously, I failed. Even before I get to know him, my parents’ divorce was finalized and my mom forced me to pack my things and dragged me to the plane. And after 3 years, I never thought I would find out who Mystery Man was.


I always thought that I would be feeling giddy once I met Mystery Man. His messages alone could make the butterflies in my stomach flutter. How much more when I meet him, right?


But then, why was I feeling like I was going to puke as Mystery Man started telling me his side of the story? ‘Because you’re pregnant, dimwit!’ I said to myself. ‘And it’s possible that Mystery Man was the one who impregnated you.’


Yes, Mystery Man was no other than Dong Youngbae. He started telling me how he started liking me even way back in grade school and he was so shy when were teenagers that’s why he just sent messages to me. Honestly, I had never been close to Youngbae before. I even doubt it if we were able to talk before this day. And that’s why I wonder how he managed to put the messages in between my books, in my backpack, in my locker and even in my car. I freaked out a bit. Maybe Dong Youngbae was a crazy stalker or something. I looked at him and he flashed me a nervous smile as he continued his story.


“Well, I think it’s very clear that I like you a lot. Now, let me tell you about Seungri’s party. Honestly, I’m not friends with Lee Seungri and I wasn’t invited there. I just figured out that everybody’s going to be there and so I crashed the party. I drank a bit, well maybe too much and so, I went upstairs to look for a room where I could rest for a few minutes. I was a bit unlucky at first because I caught Seungri tied in his headboard and there was this girl who was wearing a corset and she even had a whip on her hand! Oh well, let me spare you the gross details. You probably get the big picture. Anyway, I moved to the next room and surprisingly, it was empty. I lied down for a bit and I could have sworn I fell asleep for 30 minutes or so.” He stopped to his lips which were getting dry. 


“I woke up when I heard a sound. I was still half-asleep when I felt a girl’s body lying on top of me. I stared at her face and I found out that she was my... crush.” He blushed as he said the last word. I was more than glad that he was talking about me like I was another girl because seriously, I would want to hide if he would mention my name. I couldn’t even imagine myself drunk. “I knew she was drunk. I could smell it in her breath. But then, I’ve waited forever for that moment to come—you know, a moment where I could spend time with her. Well, that was the original plan, but then she started kissing me. I tried to control myself; I forced myself not to kiss back. But then, she was my weakness. She kissed me and I suddenly became vulnerable. Without even me realizing it, I was already kissing back. And, one thing led to another.” He said as he pointed at my abdomen.


I clenched my teeth as I my closed fist sat on my lap.


Youngbae might have noticed that I was mad. And so, to lighten the mood, he opened his mouth to speak again.


“You don’t have to worry you know. I’m clean. I don’t have any diseases to transfer.” He joked. But I wasn’t in the mood for jokes. And so, my hand automatically collided with his cheek.


“You think I’m worried about getting STD? I’m pregnant Youngbae! I’m 18 and I’m pregnant! How do I differ from all those s?” I said with poison in my voice as he massaged his now-red cheek.


Youngbae looked as if he didn’t know what to do next. He was sitting across a pregnant woman—who was hormonal. Of course, so I was positive that he really didn’t know what to do.


“What do you want me to do?” He said in monotone. I looked at him and I realized that the sunny smile he had earlier had disappeared. I guess this means that he was serious already.


Marry me. It’s the only proper thing to do. You touched me and so you have to marry me.” I didn’t like Youngbae and after what he said to me, I doubt it if I would like him romantically in the near future. But then, Dong Youngbae was from a good family and I think I could learn how to love him.


He merely nodded before he stood up and prepared himself to leave. He flashed me a smile before he gave asked for my number, telling me that he would call me after he talked to his parents. He also said that he would arrange a dinner where his parents and mine could talk about the wedding and stuff. I gave him my number and waved goodbye to him not long after.


I went back to my room and climbed onto my bed. I stared at my cellphone and contemplated whether I should call Jiyong or not. ‘He’s your best friend Sandara, he needs to know.’ I said to myself. But then, I didn’t call him. I just sent him a message telling him to come if he had time.


Fifteen minutes later, Jiyong barged into my room. I patted the right side of my bed, telling him to sit beside me. As he was sitting beside me, he place one of my small pillows on his lap and told me to put my head there—I gladly took the offer. He began to brush my hair with his fingers. He did that when we were in middle school and I always found myself relaxed after he did that. 


He continued to caress my hair as I began to tell him about what happened in Seungri’s party. I didn’t tell him all the details because I was ashamed of it. I also told him that Youngbae’s going to marry me.


“Are you sure that he’s the father? You don’t know him D. He could be your stalker or something.” He said. He stopped caressing my hair.


“He’s the father Ji. I just know.” I said as I sat up.


“I just don’t want you to get hurt. But if you’re sure, then I couldn’t do anything about it.” He said, hiding his eyes with his hair.
I hugged him and thanked him for all the things he did to me. He patted my back and told me that he would do anything for me. 
Suddenly his words echoed in my mind.


I’ll be here as long as there’s no one else who would claim that kid okay? I’m not leaving you to face this problem alone. I want to make sure that someone’s gonna be there beside you.


‘You’re free now Jiyong. You’re free.’