Help Me Remember (Chapter 8)

Help Me Remember

He woke with a start, panting loudly as he sat up on the bed he was laying on. He let his eyes roam around and realized he was somewhere he couldn’t recognize. Besides him, was a machine showing things he couldn’t understand, and was beeping loudly every waking second. He wanted to turn it off, or trash it as long as he can sleep in peace and quiet. Just as he was about to move his hands, something soft and moist was stopping him from doing so. Looking to his side, he saw a boy resting his head besides his arm, while his hand was being held by him. He immediately pulled away, causing the boy’s head to spring up, his eyes huge that it could pop out of his head anytime.

“J! Are you ok?!” The boy asked him, his hands roaming all over his face and limbs. He flinched at the sudden loss of personal space and pushed him away, wanting to gain some of that back.

“Who are you?” He asked the boy who was getting on his feet.

“It’s--” The boy paused before going back to where he was sat, “J...you don’t know who I am?”

He shook his head uncomfortably. Was he supposed to know who he was?. “Who’s J? And what am I doing here?”

The boy became strangely quiet while the expression on his face changed from before. He didn’t know what caused him to be hurt, but he just wanted to get out of this place as soon as possible. Just as he was about to get out, the blanket on him slipped off a little and his eyes widened once he was able to see it. He opened his mouth in horror and let out a scream loud enough to ring in the room he was in. His legs trashed about in the bed letting the blanket fall to the floor while the boy was holding him by the shoulders, telling him to calm down. However, he just pushed the boy’s hands away, prepared to run out of the room when a man in white and a woman in a dress stopped him from doing so.

“Ninomiya-kun, what happened?” The man asked the boy while he continued to struggle out of the bed.

“J... he’s forgotten everything again...”

The woman that came with the man pushed something at the edge of his bed, and saw that it was a wheelchair. When he saw that, he started backing away, screaming and pleading to let him out of this place. However, he felt delicate hands go around his shoulder and strong hands grip his ankles. He tried his best to kick them off but it was no use, they were too strong. Once he was seated on the wheelchair, he was strapped onto it making it harder for him to get out.

“Ninomiya-kun, inform his parents,” the man told the boy before he was being led somewhere else.

He still couldn’t calmed down when they were going down the light pink hallway. He saw other people dressed in the same way as him, peeking through their doorways while the others stopped walking to turn back and look at him. He just hissed at the sight of them, causing them to around and act as if nothing happened, while he continued to struggle in his bounds. They took a right turn, and there was a huge white door that he was led to. All of a sudden, he wanted to be back to where he woke up after seeing people dressed in green come out, with scary looks on their faces. To his horror, he was led to another room and was forced to wear the same outfit. He bit and kicked but nothing worked when he was strapped down again. He couldn’t tell where they were going but they were descending even farther from the white door he came through.

“It’s ok, Matsumoto-kun,” said the man behind him, “We’re just going to send you off to therapy.”

He stopped screaming then but he still continued to struggle. As they went further and further and took different kinds of turns, they finally came to a stop and he was exhausted to even bother to run away when they took the straps off of him. He was helped inside of a dark room, so dark that he couldn’t tell where he was being brought. When he felt something cold touch his body, and then the straps being tied around him again, the lights and he closed his eyes from the sudden brightness.

“Matsumoto-kun, it’s nice to meet you. I’ve heard so much about your case, and it’s very rare that a kid like you has it.”

He opened his eyes at the sound of a voice opposite of him and saw a man with glasses resting on his nose. His hair was a bit messy, but otherwise, he looked like a complete nerd. He frowned when the man in front of him smiled as if he was an interesting subject.

“Don’t worry, I’m not going to bite,” the man reassured him, “I was afraid that they would have to send you to me. Only the special cases get sent to me...”

He cocked his head to the side in curiosity, wondering what the man was trying to tell him.

“Ah, never mind about that,” the man clapped his hands together, “Let’s get to know one another first even though you won’t remember me anyways... I’m Sakurai Sho.”

He didn’t know what was it about this man. All he knew was that he was starting to become a bit comfortable once he got used to the lights, and saw that the man was just sitting there, smiling a goofy smile. He was about to open his mouth to introduce himself when he realized something was missing. He tried to search his brains for answer, but it only gave him pain in return.

“Don’t worry!” The man let out a light chuckle, causing him to look up in confusion. “It’s ok. You don’t know who you are right now, but as long as I get to help you recover then you’ll start to remember. You got that?”

He shrugged. He really didn’t know if he should listen to this man, or claim that there really is something wrong with himself. However, the man started talking again and he was starting to find him annoying. Since there was no way to get out of the straps, he allowed himself to be tortured while listening to the man explain some things he couldn’t quite catch on.

TBC