Help Me Remember (Chapter 9)

Help Me Remember

He looked at the notebook in his hands, wondering if he’s accepted the right thing to do. That strange therapist told him that it would become useful in his life if he writes everything that happened to him everyday in it. He felt sick. It was almost like having a diary except that the notebook looked more dull and boring. He just shrugged and tossed the notebook aside.

“J...”

He looked up from his hands and saw that the boy was coming towards him with a tray of food. There was a small smile on his face, but it disappeared once he told him to get out. The boy stayed standing for a while, but didn’t move away and just sat besides the bed like he didn’t hear what he said. He didn’t feel like fighting back anyways and just turned to his side so his back was facing him.

The boy coughed before he felt a soft tap on his shoulder, “I’m Ninomiya Kazunari, it’s nice to meet you.”

“Tch,” He clicked his tongue and shrugged the finger off of his shoulder. This boy too, was as strange at that man, except for the fact that he was staying besides him like he knew who he was. Letting out a deep breath, he closed his eyes in hopes that the boy would leave. However, he heard soft footsteps on the floor and something wet being pushed on his lips. His eyes flew open and saw that the boy was holding out a spoonful of food on his mouth. He didn’t look like he was going to ever leave him alone.

“What do you want?” He snapped, throwing the spoon to the other side of the room.

The boy didn’t answer him, but only gave him a hurt look before going to retrieve the spoon. Once the boy got it back, he wiped it clean with tissue and again was shoving the food to his tightly closed lips. He just glared at him, and again threw the spoon away. The boy didn’t look at him in the eyes this time and just stood back up to retrieve it again. Thinking that he was going to give up, instead he heard the boy yell out in pain. Alerted, he stood up and saw the boy was on his knees, while his hand was holding onto his bloody finger. Without another thought, he flung his legs to the side of the bed, and landed on the floor with a thud.

The boy stopped yelling and instead came running to him with a concerned look on his face. He felt his hands go around him, but he grabbed the injured hand and brought it close to his eyes. Just as he had thought, it was cut deep from a sharp object and this boy was foolish to have worried over him instead of himself. Looking around for something to stop the bleeding, he couldn’t find anything but the clothes he was wearing. He reached for the hem of the clothes, but he felt hands stop him.

“No, J... I’ll treat it myself. You just--”

“No!” He hissed and slapped the hands away. “You’re hurt.” Without saying anything else, he grabbed the edge of the clothes and ripped it until he saw that it was long enough to create a diversion of a bandaid. He grabbed the boy’s hand, but gently so it wouldn’t hurt, and wrapped the ripped fabric around the bleeding finger. After the finally making sure it was securely on his finger, he leaned back into the bedside drawer and sighed in relief.

“J, you--”

He snapped back to reality, realizing what he had done. He felt his cheeks burn, swearing that he must have caught something while being pushed around in the hallways, or it must be the boy’s fault. He saw that the boy was looking at him, then his finger, and then him again before the smile on his face showed up again. Coughing out of nervousness, he tried to crawl back up the bed, but he felt an arm snake around his waist, and a hand grab his arm. He looked to his side, and realized that the boy was the one who was helping him up. He almost fell on his feet again, but the grip around his waist tightened and was finally back on the bed again.

The boy’s hands were pulled from him, and he couldn’t understand why he wanted those around him again. Wanting to look at anything but him, he stared at the white blankets on him, while the boy was telling him to open his mouth. He didn’t argue and just did as he was told. Once they were open the food the boy was trying to feed him earlier, were deposited into his mouth and he chewed it and swallowed it until it was all gone. Despite how bland it tasted, he opened his mouth again and the boy feed him another portion.His eyes could no longer stare at everything since just by looking at them, he could probably memorize where everything belonged. Instead, his eyes wandered back to the boy’s face, and was surprised to see that he was smiling.

He could see a smile playing on the boy’s lips as if feeding him was something worth being happy about. The boy was mimicking him when he opened his mouth, and was chewing when he was chewing also. He felt like a baby, but he was glad that this boy was feeding him since he hadn’t realized how hungry he was earlier. After the final spoonful was fed to him and the boy had left, he grabbed the notebook that weird therapist had given him, and wrote about what had happened. He couldn’t understand why he was doing it, but his hands were begging him to write on and on until he reached the last page. Looking around for something to tell him the date, he spotted a small calendar hanging on the wall, and wrote the date down before closing the notebook. After hiding it in the bedside drawer, he relaxed back into the bed, hoping that the boy would return soon.

As if the boy had heard him, he came back to the room skipping happily towards him. He hadn’t realized himself, but he too was smiling big like him. When the boy finally took a seat besides him, he asked in a shy voice

“Can I call you Nino?”

The boy nodded his head in approval before his hand was taken again. He noticed how chubby they were and almost laughed at him, but he held it back by biting his tongue. But he couldn’t hold it in anymore as his laughter just filled the entire room. The boy looked hurt, but soon he too was joining in with him, and telling him many times that his fingers weren’t that bad. When they had finally calmed down, he asked him about himself which he can hopefully remember to write in his notebook...

TBC