Help Me Remember (Chapter 17) (Nino's POV)

Help Me Remember

Kazu didn’t know whether to be happy or not after Jun had brought him to an antique store since this was a place he frequented. When Jun stopped, he wanted to ask him what he was planning but then he was dragged around again and was pushed on a chair. Kazu gasped in his mind as he saw the piano he’s been wanting to touch ever since moving to Tokyo. He was a bit happy to see it, but it confused him all the more as Jun stared at him as if waiting for him to play it.

“J? What’s--” He wanted to ask him what was his reason but was cut off when Jun spoke up.

“It’s for you,” He smiled, “I thought since with your long fingers and all, you can play piano.”

Kazu shook his head and was about to get up when Jun stopped him. “But I don’t even know how,” he told him. “I mean I used to play when he were kids, but I...” Kazu trailed off as the grotesque images flashed through his mind: Jun running towards the street, a huge smile on his face and then the car... Kazu snapped, blinking his eyes twice and saw that the grown up Jun had a worried look on his face. He wanted to reach up for his face, ask him if he was ok and then tell him how much he was sorry for letting it happen. However, Jun dragged him back to their home only to realize that Jun had brought the piano for him.

“J,” he finally spoke, half of his confidence coming back to him, “You didn’t have to get it for me.”

“I wanted to ok? Now please stop whining since I already bought it.”

Jun had a smile on his face, a bright smile like one he had when they were kids. Oh how he missed seeing that smile ever since Jun decided to wake up after a month worth of coma. Getting up from their couch, he moved to his room and closed it shut behind him. It was like all the other nights when he laid on the bed, crying for Jun, as he sat on the bed and stared at the wall. It was full of pictures of the both of them when they were children, and one picture from when they were together after high school graduation.

He remembered that time when Jun woke up not knowing who he was and why he was holding his hand. It was almost like that every waking moment of Jun’s life, but he knew that the latter would never remember anything after a couple of days. Looking down, Kazu stared at his hands, wishing that Jun held onto it in his sleep. With those very same hands, Kazu buried his face in them and wept like all those other nights. All of a sudden, he heard his bedroom door open and then close. Kazu looked over his shoulder and saw Jun looking at him with worry. He couldn’t blame him for not knowing the reason why he was like this and just turned around while wiping his eyes of the falling tears. Kazu tried his best to wipe them away and tell Jun it was just nothing but he felt arms wrap themselves around his shoulders and was being pulled towards a warm body.

“I’m sorry, Nino,” Jun whispered against his locks of hair, “I should have asked you first.”

Kazu shook his head, bringing his hands to touch Jun’s strong arms. He wished that Jun can hold him like this everyday, to protect him from all those bad memories haunting him away, but he knew he was doing it out of pity. “It’s not because... of that...” He sniffled. “It’s just that it haunted me again.”

“What did?”

“The accident,” he mumbled, “I stopped playing because of it.”

“Well I’m here, aren’t I?” He heard Jun say at the same his heart pounded loudly against his chest, and was turned around by the latter. “And since I bought it, you can play again.”

Kazu looked down as he let a smile escape from his lips. It was true that Jun was in front of him, the very same Jun that always protected him and made him smile. However he felt like it was his turn to help him remember and to protect him of the strange world around him.

“You should smile like that, always,” Jun smiled as his arm wound around his waist. Kazu smiled even brighter as a promise and saw that Jun was doing the same. As jun helped him up to his feet, the doorbell rang while Jun held out his hand. Kazu took it, loving the warmth mixing with his. It felt just right against his long, but chubby fingers as he linked their fingers together.

“Shall we go get your piano?” Jun asked him with unmistakable joy in his voice. Kazu nodded shyly and was once again dragged through his bedroom door to greet the delivery men. Kazu couldn’t contain his happiness as he kept peeking over Jun’s shoulder and saw the piano in pieces behind the men. After what seemed like hours, the delivery men had finally fixed the piano and Jun was motioning for him to play it.

Kazu let go of his hand, but he regretted it as soon as possible. He was about to grab it again and tell him he was satisfied enough with his fingers but Jun was already sat on the piano chair waiting for him. Kazu hesitated for a while, asking himself if this is what he should be doing instead of taking care of Jun. However, he saw that the latter was smiling ever so brightly that he brought his trembling fingers over the piano keys.

“It’s ok, Nino,” Jun beamed, “I’m here so play to your heart’s content.”

“J...” Kazu whispered as he felt the tears in his eyes threatening to come out. “Then... will you stay by my side forever?” After asking the question, he realized what he said and was about to take it back when jun grabbed both of his hands and placed them over the piano keys. He saw the latter give out a warm smile causing his heart. yet again, to pound loudly that he was so sure Jun can hear it. However, Jun just smiled back reassuringly and he felt somewhat at ease as his fingers played again, just like the accident had never happened.

TBC