Help Me Remember (Chapter 20)

Help Me Remember

Jun followed him discretely, wondering why the man was taking an opposite direction when clearly his house was the direction he came from earlier. He might have some business to handle, but who would when it's already dark out with less people. Whatever that man's business was, Jun didn't care as long as he can find out the reason behind Nino's expression earlier. With that determination in mind, Jun hid or sneaked behind the man until finally, the man stopped in the middle of nowhere on a port where the waves were hitting against its sides.

Jun was puzzled. Maybe Ohno had business with fishing since he could see fishing boats all around the lone port, but strangely enough, there was no one out at sea. Or maybe this was Ohno's place to come when there was something he needed to vent out. Thinking that it was most likely the second choice, Jun quietly his heel and was about to leave when he heard a loud splash amidst the loud water splashing on his walls. Jun swiveled around and saw that there was no sign of that man anywhere. He must have left so quickly when he turned around but not far from the edges, he could see clothes trashing around because of the strong wind. Jun feared for the worst thought as he ran to the clothes and looked in the dark water. Of course he couldn't see anything in there but somehow Ohno must be in there. Despite the hatred he had against this man, Jun grumbled before taking off his top layer before diving in the cold ocean in search for that sleepy man.

He swam in all directions, dove further and further in hopes of finding that man. He had already taken an intake of air earlier before searching for him again, but Ohno was nowhere to be found. He was about to head up to breath in air he needed when he saw something glint in the corner of his eyes. It came from a small jewelry shining under the water as soon as Jun saw an unconscious body floating underneath him. Jun sped towards it, reaching his hand to the man's arm until finally, he had a great hold of it and pulled him up. The man was clearly unconscious even when he called his name several times. Seeing that Ohno refused to wake up, he dragged his body towards a stairs, he spotted earlier, and pushed the man on the floating board before pulling himself up.

"Ohno-san!" Jun yelled, "Ohno-san! This isn't the time to be asleep!" Though he screamed his loudest, said man still didn't open his eyes, forcing Jun to pound his chest several times, until finally, his eyes opened and water gushed out of his mouth.

"J-Jun...kun...why?..." Ohno tried to ask but more water came out.

"I followed you," he told him, "I wanted to know what happened between you and Nino but that doesn't matter now. We should get you to a hospital."

"Just fetch...my clothes," he told him, waving his arm towards the stairs leading to the first level. Nodding his head, Jun went right away, catching and taking all the clothes before it was thrown in the water from the huge gusts of wind. After taking them all in his arms, he ran back to Ohno who was now laughing maniacally in his hands.

"Ohno-san!" Jun yelled in concern, placing the clothes on Ohno's body until he was covered. "Ohno-san! Please stop!"

"Why?" Ohno spoke muffled in his hands. "Why can't it be me?"

"What do you mean?" questioned Jun, completely confused at the man's muffled words.

"Nino must be crazy..." Ohno muttered finally his hands going down and his laughter growing quiet. "Go home, Jun-kun. Nino is probably waiting."

"But I can't leave you like this," he said, surprised that he actually said it to a man he disliked. "I should at least bring you to a hospital. I think I found one nearby..."

"No, Jun-kun, you shouldn't worry about me. I was just...going for a night swim..."

"You're lying," Jun told him since he can see that his face isn't telling the truth along with his words. "I really can't--"

"Fine," Ohno sighed. "I promise you that I won't do anything and to prove it I'll see you at the supermarket."

Jun wanted to argue but he couldn't bring himself to do it since he was starting to feel cold. The thoughts of wanting to know what happened between Ohno and Nino gone, Jun stood up, hoping that the man was speaking the truth this time. Looking at him one more time, Jun finally decided to head back home before the authorities were called to find a missing adult. However, on his way there, his eyes were drooping and was about to pass out but he was already standing besides his bed.

There, laying so peacefully was his friend holding so tightly onto his pillow while muttering something he couldn't hear in his sleep. Using the rest of his energy, Jun changed into a set of new clothes, discarded them into the laundry before climbing under the blankets and replaced the pillow in Nino's arm with his shivering body. It didn't take long for him to fall asleep in his friend's comfortable warmth.

Kazu woke up startled, wondering why something so warm was being pressed against his body. Rubbing his eyes of sleep, Kazu finally saw what it was and his worry instinct was taking over. Putting an arm around Jun, he shook him awake until his friend's eyes slowly flew open. Like his skin, his eyes were red and his pupils were huge.

"J, you're burning up!" Kazu whispered shrieked as he gently placed his hand on Jun's forehead, ignoring the wetness of his hair. "I should heat up some tea."

"No it's ok, Nino..."Jun groaned, his arms getting tighter around him, "Let me sleep..."

Kazu wouldn't allow it. His friend had gotten sick and it was still nighttime meaning that the air was cool around them despite being under the already warm blankets. He tried to break and struggle free from Jun's arm but his friend refused to let him go. If he weren't to act sooner and make him warm tea, his friend's cold might get even worse.

"J," Kazu whined, "Please let go. I need to--"

"No stay," his friend pulled him down, "I like Nino's warmth..."

Kazu then froze, his body refusing to move even when he kept telling his nerves to care for his friend. However, his brain was in the control of him as he laid back down and stared into Jun's red tinged cheeks. He didn't know when he fell asleep until Jun's breathing became deep and relaxing. Kazu grinned letting his arms snake around Jun's waist while resting his head on the rising and falling chest. At least for now, he can sleep so peacefully like this in his arms...

"Hmm..." Kazu pondered while his half-recovered friend was giving him countless of pictures and frames. "Do you think I should put this here?"

Jun shrugged. "I think it looks nice in between the walls separating our rooms."

Kazu thought about it, then walked over to the wall as Jun had pointed out. Placing the picture in the middle, Kazu fixed the frame and finally came to a conclusion that it didn't belong there. It was a picture, back when they had taken it in preschool with the both of them showing their hatred for each other. Kazu remembered that day well, laughing when he remembered that he was the reason why Jun hated him for being a bratty kid. However, that was in the past but it was still made him feel like he was still that unchanged bratty kid remembering it. Walking back towards his friend, he started to wonder why they were doing this in the first place since Jun woke up.

"J, remind me why we are doing this again?"

"It's because..." He turned around though Kazu saw red tinge on his face, "I saw Aiba-san and Sho-san have pictures together in their home..."

"Oh, so you felt like having one too?" Kazu teased, bringing his hands to play with Jun's soft hair.

"Stop..." Jun whined, "...This can...help me...right?"

"Right," Kazu agreed, "But are you sure you weren't jealous?"

"No!" Jun quickly denied at the same time a pillow was thrown on his face. "Just...help me put some up!"

"Fine," Kazu rolled his eyes before pushing the picture Jun was handing him, "But I have a better picture to put up." Leaving Jun mumbling to himself in the living room with a mess of pictures around him, he walked back to his room, picked up a picture in the collage on his wall, before handing it over to Jun.

"This!" Jun gasped, "This is perfect!"

Kazu grinned. "Of course, we took it a few days after high school graduation. You don't remember but, we had a time of our life that day."

"Well put it up!" With that said, Kazu slipped the picture in an empty frame and it fit perfectly in it. Kazu grinned sheepishly to himself and blushing when Jun's arm s around his waist. Awkwardly walking towards the hallway leading to their rooms, Jun followed after while he was trying his best to be stable on his feet. Finally, when the frame was fixed in the middle, Jun let go and clapped his hands together.

"And how about this?" Jun handed him another picture of Kazu when he was a middle schooler with another random kid, and another picture of a slightly teenaged Jun besides Aiba-sensei.

"Why this?" He chuckled as he took both of the pictures from Jun's hand.

"Because," Jun started in a matter-of-fact tone, "Nino has a nice smile here and Aiba-san looks like an idiot."

Kazu laughed out loud from hearing his friend's simple answer. He thought that Jun had real reasons to put them up but it seemed like the reason Jun mentioned was better than what he expected. Grabbing the other empty frames, he placed them in either sides of his and Jun's picture together. Finally, after filling most of the apartment with mostly their picture, Kazu smiled along with Jun in satisfaction.

"There," Kazu sighed while eyeing the new and pristine picture frames, "Are you satis--J!"

Kazu ran towards Jun who was leaning against the wall besides the bathroom door. He had a troubled look on his face while his hands were clutching his head and was groaning in pain. Grabbing Jun before he fell, he used up his strength to pull him om the couch while he fetched a bowl of lukewarm water and a rag.

"J," Kazu called his name before putting a soaked rag on his forehead, "J.. What happened?"

"I don't know," Jun groaned, "My head just...Started to hurt by it...self."

"Then don't get up, ok? I'll handle everything else from here on out. I'll take care of everything," Kazu told him reassuringly. With that said, he placed and fixed the rag on his forehead once again before getting up and making him warm porridge. He was too busy to notice that Jun mutter the nickname he used a long time ago...

TBC