Help Me Remember (Chapter 14)

Help Me Remember

Jun swayed to the side, then to the other until his head landed on Nino’s lap. It was warm that Jun found himself snuggling closer and closer. Looking up, he saw that the latter stared at him with drunken eyes, the corner of his lips curving into a smile. Jun smiled back, then laughed when he saw ketchup stain in on his lips. Fazed by the alcohol he drank, Jun sat up, his hand reaching for Nino’s lips. As he wiped the stain away, he couldn’t help but notice just how soft his lips were against his thumb. He stared at his thumb and then Nino’s lips before leaning towards the latter and sealing their lips in a hot kiss...

“Ugh...” Jun groaned as he sat up from the cold floor and used the boxes to lean his body on it. He thought that last night, he was already sleeping on the bed he had set up the day before they moved in, however he found himself staring at the living room window. Jun had wanted to get up, to wash himself and get rid of the headache he was now experiencing. However, he stop and realized how cold it suddenly was, and how his skin was sticking on the wooden floor. Looking down, he saw that he was completely with a clear mess all over his stomach. His eyes widened as he looked from his body to search for his clothes. When he found his pants, he saw a feet, or two feet besides him and it moved.

“Nino?” Jun questioned as he walked behind the blockage of boxes. As he made his way behind the boxes, he saw his friend laying on his stomach, and unconscious.

“Oh, god,” He slapped his forehead. “Oh god, don’t tell me we--”

“J?” Nino mumbled in his sleep. “J... I love...”

“Nino!” He shook his head, or only once and then kicked him with his foot. “Wake up!”

“Mmmm, what?” Nino groaned, finally opening his eyes and sitting up. “Is it morning already?”

“Nino! Wake up can’t you see what situation we’re in?!” Jun panicked as he sat his friend up and slapped his friend’s face a couple of times before Nino’s eyes flew wide open. He saw him look around before looking down at his body. Jun yelped, pushing him back to the floor, and hiding behind the boxes. He heard Nino mutter something from behind the boxes he was hiding behind, then skin detaching itself from the floor.

“J? Did we get drunk last night and...”

Jun gulped and answered yes, since he saw bottles of wine hanging around some boxes earlier. All he could remember from last night was buying wine to celebrate their first night in their new apartment while they were eating hamburgers together. Everything else was just a blur other than when he woke up earlier, realizing that he was .

Nino was the first to really move and was gathering his stuff and putting some clothes on. Jun wanted to hold him back, to tell him this was all a drunken mistake, but Nino was already out of the apartment. He was very slow in reaction and finally came to a decision to chase him down. After grabbing all his clothes and putting half of them on, he ran after Nino, guessing which direction he ran in.

It took him many turns, many stops to catch up with his breath, and many people to ask him if they had seen a man wearing only a pants running through the crowd. After what seemed like hours, he finally found him in a small cafe with a tanned man sitting in front of him. His feet was taking him to the front of the store, but because of the windows, he can see that the man in front of him held his hand and said something he couldn’t hear. Jun’s hand barely hovered over the door handle as he backed away and felt something stir painfully in his heart. While his eyes lingered on Nino’s face, he didn’t notice the latter saw him as he turned around and ran. Ran to wherever his feet will take him, somewhere far away from him.

“J!” He heard him yell for his name as he continued to run through the busy crowd. “J! Please stop running!”

Jun refused to listen to him as he ran without stopping. He took a turn there, and another turn there to lose Nino somehow. However, he took the wrong turn and was now facing a dead end with Nino running from the other end. Jun turned around, and was backing away from him. He saw that Nino refused to leave as the man came running towards him and was taken in his embrace.

“Get. Off!” Jun yelled as he tried to push Nino off of him.

“I can’t, J, I can’t.”

“Then try!” He hissed, “I don’t want you to touch me! Go back to that man in the cafe.”

“J... He’s only a friend...”

“Doesn’t look like it,” He scoffed, “Then what am I supposed to be? A drunken mistake and someone you’re going to cast aside?” The words came out of his mouth itself as Nino continued to hold him tight. He didn’t know if that was his mouth doing the talking or something inside of him. However, his body hurt just remembering that image of the man holding Nino’s hand.

“J, please don’t misunderstand. I was just... asking for help,” He muttered, “I didn’t want things to be like this.” Then he heard him mutter something under his breath. Jun couldn’t quite catch it, but he knew what he had said.

“So what if I don’t remember!” Jun hissed, “Just, promise me you’ll stay away from that man.”

“J? How did...”

“A man named Sakurai told me, Nino. It hurted me after he had said so, how I noticed you know everything about me while I just forget them them sporadically. I feel so guilty Nino,” He told him, “It must hurt having to face me all the time, telling me everything I had forgotten and for me to forget about you all the time.”

“J,” he felt Nino smile on his shirt, “It doesn’t matter. That’s why we made the contracts when he were teeangers because you wanted it. You wanted me to help you remember who you are.”

“But doesn’t it hurt?” Jun whispered.

Nino shook his head, his hair tickling his chin. “J... It does, but being besides you everyday is enough.”

“Then,” Jun pulled him away from his body, “Shall we go home and talk about what happened last night?”

Nino nodded his head before shooting his hand from behind him for him to grab. Taking his hand, the two of them walked back to their apartment, Jun’s pain in his body disappearing little by little. It felt so right to hold him like this, yet he still couldn’t understand himself. He had only met Nino a few days ago, waking up with no memories and he was nothing but a stranger to him. But there was something inside of him, something that chose to stick by this man’s side and treated him as a friend he’s been knowing. Jun couldn’t understand it himself, but if he were to write it on the journal, his future self might probably figure it out; though he doubted it.

It didn’t take them long to find their way back home and soon they two of them were talking it over while unpacking their stuff away. For whatever reason, Jun didn’t feel awkward and laughed along with Nino about some jokes he had said along the way. He would nod his head in agreement, or sometimes shake his head when Nino said something he didn’t disapprove of. After properly eating dinner, the both of them sat on the couch, hands holding each other, while being succumbed in a nice silence that comforted him. As the sky turned dark, and the city lights , Jun closed his eyes, leaning his head on Nino’s shoulder.

He tried to sleep, or at least he tried to, but he was starting to remember bits of what happened last night. Only vague images filled his mind, but moans and groans were audible enough to let him hear Nino yell ‘I love you’ in those images. Jun’s eyes flew open and he looked at his friend, who was already fast asleep on the couch. Taking his small body with his, he laid down and hugged him closer until he fell asleep too...

He woke up, groaning as he tried to yawn. However, his hands were holding something warm and saw that he was holding tightly onto a man. He didn’t know who he was, where he was, or what he was doing as he yelped and pushed the man on the floor with a loud thud.

TBC