15

The Person Who Once Loved Me

The next morning, I woke up full of bliss and fulfilled my morning duties with a smile adorning my face.

All because of Jongin. My heart was finally at rest. I knew that he was safe and I knew that even if I had to go the day without seeing him, when the clock ticked midnight I would be able to speak with him again.

I walked into the kitchen after breakfast. It was a Friday. Dad was coming home today and Baekhyun was sitting down at our dining table eating toast with my mom. Even these irritating details couldn't frustrate me today.

My mom stared at me as I walked in with a bright smile on my face.

She lowered the white coffee cup from her lips and set it down on the light oak wood table with a clink. She stared at me as if she was dissecting me, trying to figure out why I was so happy.

Baekhyun followed my mom's confused stare and turned around in his chair to look at me.

"Oh, hey Hana," Baekhyun grinned.

I smiled, "Hey."

"Your'e looking bright today," he noted.

"Thanks," I laughed. I walked over to the toaster and popped a toast in and grabbed myself a glass of milk. All I could think was about Jongin. The way his presence made me so happy and content with everything in my world, even if everything had been going wrong just seconds before he came to my window. It was this feeling that I could not explain. He was like home to me. My safety.

"So Hana," Baekhyun interrupted my thoughts. He had snuck up behind me while I was smiling like an idiot and engrossed in my own pensive thoughts.

"Mhm?"

The toast popped out of the toaster and I put it on my plate.

"I was thinking that you could help me with something today," he said.

"What is it?"

"I need to buy fencing for Miss Kwon's house and since you're a girl I was thinking that you'd have better taste than I do," Baekhyun shot me a grin.

"Better taste for picking out wood?" I laughed.

"Well, no," he scratched his head teasingly. He was obviously happy that I wasn't being my usual grouchy self. "I mean, I just don't want to do it alone."

I nodded, "Sure, after breakfast."

"Awesome," he paused, "Forgive me if this is a weird question, but why are you so cheery today?"

"I don't know," I replied. I bit my lip, faking a smile, "I think it's because I decided to move on."

"Move on?" Baekhyun asked.

"Jongin," I fibbed.

"That's great, Hana. Really great," He broke into a wide grin that reached his eyes.

I could see my mom also smiling from the corner of my eye. Sure, I'll let her have her happiness.

"Wait a second," I stopped Baekhyun from sitting down with my mother at the table again. "Did you say Miss Kwon's house?"

"Yeah, I'm getting some more volunteer hours before I have to put in applications."

"Applications where?"

"Seoul."

"Why Seoul?" My heart seemed to stop beating in my chest. I was supposed to be leaving everything I knew behind and starting a new life. And by everything, I meant literally everything. Except for Jongin of course.

"Well-"

"Because," My mom interrupted, her eyes piercing through mine, "That's the only way that you're going to be attending that school."

"Wait, how..."

"I found your application under your mattress after Baekhyun told me that you decided not to stay in Busan," she replied with a cold glare, "Can I trust no one in this household? Like father like daughter."

And my wonderful day was officially ruined. I shot a glare at Baekhyun who was shrinking away in his seat.

"Oh stop it," Mom snapped her fingers at me, "I would've figured out sooner or later."

I knew that what she said was true, but I was hoping on her figuring out later. My plan was to tell her after my housing arrangements and application process were over with, so it was harder to back out.

"Are you mad?" I muttered. Truthfully, I was expecting a couple of hits on the head and screaming loud enough for the whole neighborhood to hear but she was surprisingly calm.

"No. If Baekhyun's with you, it's okay."

There was nothing more to say. I was absolutely appalled at how incredibly quickly my mood had changed in the past 24 hours. From worried and upset to unhealthily happy when I saw Jongin to upset again after this morning's events. I left the kitchen with a frown on my face and yet, Baekhyun had the audacity to ask me if I would still be going with him to by supplies.

But about five minutes later, I found myself at the supply shop down the street, looking at different nails and paint colors and types of wood for the fencing. Whatever Baekhyun said, I agreed to. And I didn't bring up the fact that he told my mom about leaving Busan. I did have to admit that I had no right to be mad at Baekhyun. I never did tell him to keep it a secret.

I was curious, though. Did my mom and Baekhyun know that Jongin was home?

Baekhyun and I, or just Baekhyun, spent about a good hour picking out supplies before bringing it all back to Miss Kwon's house. Her house was right across from mine. She lived in a house that was chipping periwinkle blue paint and had a white roof that was also weathered down by the salt from the ocean. Miss Kwon had a knack for gardening so the short walk from the road to her front door was lined with colorful flowers and a small garden on her front yard.

"Hello," Baekhyun greeted Miss Kwon. She happily greeted him back. Baekhyun had a thing with adults. But once Miss Kwon saw me, her eyes grew large.

"You know what hun," Miss Kwon started, her eyes steady on me although she was talking to Baekhyun, "You can bring all of that to the backyard and start working. Just call me if you need anything, I'll be out soon."

"Thanks," he nodded, "Come on, Hana."

"Wait-" Miss Kwon gently laid a hand on my shoulder, "Can I borrow her for a second?"

I nodded when Baekhyun glanced over at me. "Yeah," he replied. I handed some of the paint buckets that I was holding over to Baekhyun.

"Bye for now then," he winked.

Miss Kwon furrowed her eyebrows, "Hana, why are you here?" She asked me once Baekhyun was out of hearing distance.

"Well, Baekhyun asked me to help today," I murmured.

"Do you know that Jongin's back?" Miss Kwon asked.

"I do."

"Listen," she started, keeping her voice low, "I know about you and Jongin's whole... escapade, and no matter how hard I tried to keep Jongin in Seoul, he wouldn't stay. In a sense, I'm trying to hide him so I keep you two out of trouble. I know that your parents would go more than crazy if they knew that Jongin was in Busan."

I nodded.

"So I suggest that you don't tell your parents about his coming back, alright?"

I nodded again.

"I'm going to guess that they're trying to set you up with the Byun's son over here, aren't they?" Miss Kwon asked.

"Yeah," I looked down, sighing.

"I don't understand what's so bad about our Jongin. I mean, he does have a little manner problems here and there and some bad habits that he needs to quit but other than that, he's a clean boy."

I chuckled, "I agree with you."

"Well, he's in the guest room, so suit yourself," she gave me one last pat on the back before heading into her garden, grabbing her yellow gloves and beat up shovel on her way out.

I looked outside the sliding glass door to see Baekhyun already at work. I had to admit that he was cute and likable to parents unlike Jongin. He would make a good father but what did that matter if I didn't like him?

I walked down the hallway decorated with little picture frames of Miss Kwon and her family. There was one picture of Jongin when he was a toddler but all of the rest were pictures of when he was older. When he first visited Busan. The memories brought a smile to my face.

Jongin was trying to smile in the picture, his arm slung around Miss Kwon's stout figure. She was grinning good-naturedly. Jongin was always so handsome. I recognized some pictures of my mother and Miss Kwon when they were in high school. And there was one of Jongin and I, about two years ago.

"Hana?"

I looked down the hall to see Jongin, looking shocked and confused.

"Hey."

"Why are you here?" He was holding an empty cup in his hand and probably going to get some more apple juice, which he had claimed was his new obsession. Jongin was in sweats and a black wife-beater. And I couldn't say that he had ever looked better.

"Well, I was going to help put up your aunt's fence and she told me that you were in the guest bedroom so here I am," I said with a wide smile.

"Do your parents know you're here?" Jongin asked, eyebrows furrowed.

I nodded, "They were okay with it. I came with Baekhyun. He's doing the fence."

"Oh," Jongin nodded his head, finally understanding, "That little prick actually comes in handy."

"He's always at my house," I muttered.

"Why?" Jongin showed a face of disgust.

"I don't know, Baekhyun and my mom are good friends," I replied.

"What the hell..." he scoffed, "That's a weird pairing."

"Tell me about it," I mumbled.

Jongin smiled, "Whatever. Do you want to try some of the apple juice?" He shook the cup in front of my face and raised his eyebrows suggestively. "It's really good."

I laughed, "It's apple juice."

"No, it's not just apple juice," he defended, "It's the apple juice." He reached for my hand with his free one and pulled me through the hall and into the kitchen.

"Sit down, let me treat you," Jongin winked. I laughed and complied, sitting down on a chair that was besides the small island that Miss Kwon and my mom would always use to experiment with food.

Jongin poured me a glass and then filled up his.

He eyed me as I brought the cup to my lips and drank the apple juice.

"It just tastes like apple juice, Jongin," I laughed.

"I don't know, it tastes fresher and sweeter than any other apple juice i've ever drank," Jongin stated before taking a sip of the juice, "They just don't make it as fresh in Seoul, I guess," he paused, "I know that there aren't any girls as fresh as you."

"Oh my God, Jongin," I grinned at his comment but I found myself almost blushing at his statement.

"I had to," he whispered. Jongin grabbed my hand and gently pulled me off of my chair. He rested his hands along my waist, his forehead leaned up against mine. "Why are you so beautiful?" a teasing smile tugged at his lips.

"Stop," I mumbled, grinning.

Jongin tightened his grasp on my waist and bent down for a kiss.

Only a matter of seconds passed before there was a slight gasp not belonging to either of us.

"Woah."

We parted, both of our stares turning to the door to the backyard where the sound came from. Baekhyun was standing there with his hands covered in paint and a hurt expression.

"You're back, Jongin?" Baekhyun asked in a low mumble, "I was told that... Never mind."

Jongin cleared his throat and let go of my hips, dusting off his sweats for no reason, "Yeah. Nice to see you again."

Baekhyun nodded.

There was a silence that filled the room, a very stiff and uncomfortable silence.

"Go in, I'm going to talk to him real quick," I whispered to Jongin. He nodded, squeezing my hand and waving a quick goodbye to Baekhyun before retreating into his room with apple juice in his hand.

"Hey Baek," I started with a sigh.

He let out a small smile that didn't reach his eyes.

"Can this be our little secret? You know that my parents will die if they know that Jongin's here and I'm still seeing him," I told him.

"Does he make you happy, Hana?" Baekhyun asked.

"Yes," I replied without hesitation.

"I can't promise anything, Hana. Because I still believe that although he makes you happy, if you would give me a chance, I could make you happier. I promise," he replied, practically pleading.

"I'm sorry, Baek," was all that left my lips.

"No, don't be," he replied.

It was quiet as we stared at each other.

Baekhyun broke into a smile, "I forgot why I came in here."

I laughed stiffly.

"Do you want to help me or are you... busy?" he asked.

"No, I'll help," I replied quickly, plastering a grin on my face, "Let me just tell Jongin."

"Alright, got it," Baekhyun smiled. He watched as I walked into the hallway and stuck my head in Jongin's door, telling him about helping Baekhyun with the fence. He told me to do what I had to do.

I went outside to see Baekhyun painting the fence. He handed me a brush and told me to paint the fence white. Other than Miss Kwon's humming as she was weeding, it was quiet. Every now and then he would look over and stare at me, but then sigh and shake his head. I pretended like I didn't notice, I decided that that would be the most polite thing to do.

I wasn't really thinking about painting as I painted the fence, but more about what would happen if mom knew that I lied to her.

Because Baekhyun never said that he wouldn't tell.

And unlike Jongin, he didn't know how to lie when he needed to.

"Thanks for helping, we'll probably be home for dinner," Baekhyun replied, breaking the silence.

"We?" I asked, trying to sound polite.

"Yeah, your mom invited me since your dad would be home today."

"Great," I smiled, the brush across the rough wood.

Great. Byun Baekhyun was raiding my home and raiding my mind.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

merry christmas everyone! hope you all had a blessed time with your family and friends. do you guys like baekhyun or jongin better?