Shadow Thief

Madness, Regrets and Secrets

 

 

“Please stop.”

She stared at him in disbelief with tears threatening to fall.

“Even you don’t believe me?” Her shoulders drooped in defeat.

“You know I’m a psychiatrist. How can I possibly believe that my fiancée is hearing voices or seeing this…guy that I can’t? You’re scaring me. These are schizophrenic symptoms!” Her fiancé; Kim Minseok, was a well respected psychiatrist in Seoul. He’s got experience from China, where he also earned the nickname Xiumin; Xiu meaning excellent and Min which derived from his original Korean name.

“Why can’t you just believe that there is other…phenomenon out there rather than think I’m insane?” She pleaded. Her tears prevailed, plummeting down without her permission. She felt like she’d lost a battle, not only with her tears, but also lost a relationship with Xiumin.

“Because it’s not scientific!”

“You choose science over me?”

His lips parted as if he wanted to say something straight away, but then closed it again before staring at the dull ground beside his feet.

“If you never say that you hear voices or see this guy named Kai again, I can pretend like this never happened and our wedding can still continue.”

Her head shook hard, reluctant to believe her ears. It didn’t matter what to world thought of her, she just needed one person to believe in her; just that one person. It was as if her whole world collapsed on her. If she wasn’t insane before, then she was certainly approaching that direction.

Meanwhile, Luhan had been observing the whole scene on a rooftop nearby. The drama didn’t interest him though, so he returned to gazing at the blissful clouds, singing a new song of his;

Insane, Insane
That’s what they say
Close your eyes
Forget about today
Forget about that man
That is the only cure
Let fate take another path
Luhan would make sure

 

He frowned once his song ended. Once again, he was faced with one of his biggest dilemmas in life; he was bored.

“Lay must be missing me by now, maybe I should go visit him for once.”

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Tao and Baekhyun were on their way back home, like usual. They were chatting about random stuff that occurred in the university, when suddenly Tao stopped. His face transformed from being cute and smiley to a menacing one; one which looked as if it was prepared to kill.

Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows at his friend’s actions. His smile dropped when he noticed that Tao was scanning the area.

“We have a visitor. A very strong visitor.” Tao hissed, cautious with every motion his peripheral vision captured; even a falling leaf. Soon, he began sniffing the air like a hound. “Your kind.”

The Shadow Realm Prince blinked, baffled by his words. His choice of words were peculiar, making him wonder if he was supposed to understand it and give him some sort of response. Before he even had the chance to ask, he felt the wind caress his arms, sending chills down his spine. Suddenly, his hand felt lighter.

He quickly looked at his hand with eyes agape. A mixture of worry and panic could be seen in his dark chocolate orbs.

“I-It’s gone.” He held onto his hands whilst his lips quivered.

Tao’s head immediately flicked to another direction, using all his senses to track down the ‘visitor’. Swiftly, he pulled a stick from his bag and with a gentle motion, it transformed into a staff. He makes a series on hand gestures, consequently pausing time for brief seconds so he could locate the thief.

The moment he saw a foreign black mark on the floor, he recognised it as his target. He allowed time to flow again, so he didn’t use up all his energy and threw his staff at the shadow; a direct hit, supposedly. Unfortunately his weapon disappeared into the ground before his eyes; the shadow had consumed his staff. Tao was about to attack again, but halted when Baekhyun stepped forward. Tao was shocked by his actions, seeing as their prince was never a fighter.

“Please give my glove chain bracelet back,” he spoke tranquilly. “It’s the only thing I have left from home.”

The Time Controller was confused. He didn’t appear to be angry that his possession was stolen. Tao was anticipating some sort of tantrum from him, since the prince seemed to be more emotional than all the others.

Surprisingly, the shadow stopped, gradually surfacing from the ground and took the form of a human.

“But I’d like something in return.”

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

The door was pushed open. A small jingle could be heard, signalling that someone had entered the clinic. Lay immediately exited his office to see the patient. He mentally cursed in his head.

“Are you Dr Zhang?” The woman inquired in a rather timid fashion.

Though the healer was greatly troubled to see her, he forced a smile nevertheless and gestured her to enter his office.

“What’s the problem?” He asked, a little too straightforwardly.

“You also studied psychology for a few years, right?” Lay was well-known in the area; known to be one of the best doctors around, able to cure almost anything. Not only was he capable, but he was also sincere to all his patients, yet his behaviour towards her made her doubt.

“I did.”

“When you’re talking to me, do I appear insane? You believe in things like ghosts, right?” She leaned forward, eager to hear his answer.

“I’m not a psychiatrist, nor am I an exorcist. I’m a doctor.” He adjusted his glasses, gazing at her indifferently.

“There’s no one else who can help me. My fiancé is a psychiatrist, and he doesn’t believe me.” Really, she was hanging onto the last thread of hope she had. She had heard so many stories of the great Dr Zhang, one of them being that he was a shaman; hence he was able to heal so many people so quickly.

“What makes you think that I’ll diagnose any differently?”

“I-I…don’t know.” Her shoulders sagged down, gaining a look of sympathy from him for a split second.

“I believe that you’re not insane, but I can’t guarantee that you won’t be in the future.”

Her head shot up, staring at him with bewildering eyes. She was about to ask him a question when she was interrupted by the door slamming open. Turning around, a boy in his early twenties appeared.

“Lay! Did you miss me? I came to-, oh. Well, what do we have here?”

The doctor felt his right eye twitch upon seeing Luhan’s grin. Luhan seemed to be examining the girl whilst rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

“Don’t you know how to knock?” Lay heaved a despondent sigh whilst he bore holes into Luhan’s head. The elder was about to retort with one of his witty remarks, yet stopped once the girl spoke; something that even Luhan had never anticipated.

“Excuse me,” she said softly. “But have we met before?”

 


 

Author's Note: This fanfic is crazy like Luhan~ It's all over the place~ Quite honestly, I feel like I'm just writing this for myself. Hardly anyone is reading this, yet I find myself writing more and more of this fic >>

I <3 Luhan's character, really, I do~ 

Thanks for reading~