Friends or More than Friends?

The Girl who Cried Wolf

 “Kris. Why do you agree to everything that I ask of you?” she inquired.

“Because I am your best friend!” The little boy patted his chest proudly.

She smiled at his statement and took his hands in hers.

“I am yours too.” She blurted out innocently.

Kris grinned at her words as he felt his heart thump against his small body frame. He wondered if she felt the same way. Her smile was as pretty as the dazzling stars which decorated the night black canvass. He was glad to have been the one to bring that beautiful smile back onto her forlorn face. Then, she brought him back to his senses with a hard smack on his head.

“That is for zoning out when you’re with me.” She notified.

“Yah. When did you become so violent?!” He protested and rubbed his short brown hair.

“Oh no!” She gasped.  

Pulling Kris along with her, they ducked behind the potted plant. The two exchanged glances and grinned mischievously at the sister who seemed confused and sleepy standing at the hallway. When they have reached the third silent count, they ran across her swiftly. Not forgetting, they made disturbing noises as they escaped back into their room. Closing the room door behind them, they quickly faked to be asleep. Still holding one another’s hand, with their chest rising and falling rapidly, they smiled. It was so much fun sneaking out together, and they agreed to do it together again.

“Kris.” She called out gently.

“Hmmm…” Kris mumbled with his eyes half-closed.

“Thank you for being my best friend.” She thanked sincerely but received no reply.

-

“I heard you that night, Jaerin.” Kris thought to himself as he recalled those fond memories.

Flipping to his right, he shut his eyes tightly and sighed.

How he missed those times when she was sleeping beside him and there was no one else. Just the two of them in their own little world. She was always in sight and there was no one to take her away from him.  She had him; He had her. And that seemed to be all that matters. He couldn’t help but realize things have changed as they grew older. Now that Jaerin could see the whole world, Kris thought he didn’t seem to mean the world to her anymore. He was just part of her world.

He felt like a piece in a puzzle and that bothered him despite his silence. She is independent. She could run around without him. She could go to toilets at night without him. She could smile and laugh in such a carefree manner without him. Now, she could do so many things, without him. He finally realized and accepted that she didn’t need him as much as before. However, that was despite the fact that nothing changed in his world.

She was still everything to him, then, now and beyond.

The next morning…

Kris pressed the doorbell and Jaerin answered it after a minute or so. She left the door open and walked back into her living room, yawning away. Then, she turned back and glared at him, seemingly upset over the fact that he raised his voice at her. However, upon seeing the pancakes he bought for her, she softened.

“Guess that’s for me?” she said and took it from him.

He released his grip and let her be. He didn’t speak but merely observed. She took a glass, poured some milk and brought it to the sofa. She unpacked the food he brought onto a ceramic plate . Minutes later, they were both sitting on the couch. She poured some honey on the pancake and spread it evenly. Just when she was about to place a piece in , he spoke up.

“Jaerin, let’s not be best friends anymore.” He said sternly.

She placed her fork down and looked at him in a serious manner. His eyes were telling her something which she couldn’t comprehend fully. She didn’t understand the meaning behind his words too so she questioned, “Why?”

“Because I don’t want to be one anymore.” Kris confessed.

“What do you mean?” she asked again.

Then, Kris stood up from his seat and walked over. She sunk back into her sofa and stared into his eyes. She felt her heart jump a little at his sudden change of attitude. He leaned down to a point whereby his face was exactly inches away from hers. She froze in position, unable to respond. Her fingers were clutching onto the plate tightly and she was sure his shirt was stained by the honey. However, somehow none of that mattered.

“I like you, Jaerin.” He said with a genuine smile.

The two remained in the position until Jaerin’s brain forced her to react.

“O-Of course, I know!” She almost tripped on her words as she pushed him away.

His smile faded unconfidently at her reaction.

“Aish. Is this your motive for buying me breakfast? To play around with your best friend early in the morning? Oh my. I’m sorry Casanova Wu but I am not falling for you.” She replied so quickly.

Kris stood there with his lips slightly part as if he wanted to say something more.

“Stop trying. It’s not funny, Kris.” She ordered.

“Indeed. Be-Best friends forever.” He cursed under his breath.

With that, he waved goodbye to Jaerin and slipped into his shoes. Leaving the apartment, Kris felt his fists clenched up unknowingly. His knuckles turned white as blood drained away from it. He absolutely regretted how he established their relationship since young. Always claiming her to be his best friend to keep her to him and only him. Now, things were working against him. He was friend-zoned, badly. He wondered if she knew but merely wished to deny. He hoped that wasn’t the case though.

-

To: Jaerin

Can we meet up?

Jaerin sighed at the message received as she flipped the phone about. Staring at the back of her phone, she thought about it. She didn’t want to see Lay for a period of time for the incident that happened. She didn’t know how to face him and she felt like they were on different frequencies. Despite that, her heart agreed and soon, her brain gave in.

To: Lay

At the park which we met the other time.

 

To: Jaerin

See you there!

 

She scoffed at how easily she gave in.  

“It’s so not you, Park Jaerin.” She thought.

Changing into a black hoodie, she tied her hair up into a neat pony tail. Pulling out strands to perfect her image, she left the room. Stuffing her hands into her pockets, she walked to their meeting location. She could see someone of a familiar figure playing with a little girl. It was Lay. She walked up to him and the girl. Both of their eyes widened at the sight of one another.

“Unnie!” The little girl beamed.

She smiled awkwardly and waved back to the little girl whom she thought she wouldn’t see again.

“Oh, is this unnie’s boyfriend?” she asked with her innocent big eyes sparkling in excitement.

“Aniya.” She replied gently and her hair.

He smiled unknowingly at the sight before him. She felt like a changed person for an instant and he almost fell for it, he thought.

“Appa!” The girl screamed loudly as she ran past Jaerin out of a sudden.

Jaerin turned around and saw her father pick her up and put her on his shoulders. She cringed at the lovely family scene before her. Looking away, she bade the little girl farewell. Lay patted her shoulders and she snapped out of her thoughts.

“You okay?” he inquired.

His voice eased her stiffened self so she nodded. The two walked for a distance before settling down at a nearby bench. Lay swept the dead leaves off both seats gentlemanly before sitting down. She nodded gratefully as she sat beside him. The two basked in silence while the sun shone brightly from above. The sun rays weren’t uncomfortably blinding but instead, just pure warm.

“Yesterday…” He began.

She looked over to him, waiting to see what he has got to say.

“I am sorry for making you upset.” He apologized.

“Nah, actually I was at fault too. I shouldn’t have been so defensive and walked away. Sorry.” She said.

“So we’re even huh?” his voice returned to his normal.

“Seems so.” Jaerin confirmed with a small smile.

It amazed even herself how she smiled more around him.

 

Author's Note:
Hello everyone! I wrote this chapter on an instant inspiration and I hope you guys will like this simple update.
I'll try to plan more things so that this fic will progress further. No worries! Things will be picking up soon.
Hope you guys like this chapter and pardon me not being able to reply to comments/ check my grammar now because it's going to be 3 am already. x.x
I am going off to sleep. Please leave me a comment if possible? <3
Thank you for reading this fic!